Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh, for me, the remixing was the least interesting aspect of NES Remix. What I thought those games did really well was to take old, dusty historical relics and recontextualise them for a modern audience. It was a lovingly curated almost museum piece, picking out what was interesting and innovative about the game design of 30 year old games and presenting it in an interactive way. I would have been perfectly happy without any remixing in the original game, because the study-in-game-design aspect was much more compelling to me. I don't want to play Excitebike, you know, but I loved having my hand held in a bunch of mini-challenges that amounted to "here's a presentation of all of Excitebike's mechanics and what makes it interesting as a game", and the meta-aspect of "look at the games from 1984, and 1986, and 1988, and see how game design evolved over that time". That's what Remix was for me, and this could have a lot of that same energy.

I do hope that they move on to other systems because yeah, the thing I loved about NES Remix, they already did that for those games.

Agreed with all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Shouldn't the next one be the Elevendo?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They call it Mario Kart yet no one plays it on a cart because Mario Kart should never leave your system.
Curious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inzombiac posted:

They call it Mario Kart yet no one plays it on a cart because Mario Kart should never leave your system.
Curious.

That's why Double Dash isn't a real Mario Kart game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mega64 posted:

That's why Double Dash isn't a real Mario Kart game.

It makes me want to double dash to the nearest store and buy Mario Kart 8 for the Nintendo Switch!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mario Kart Double Dash to the polls!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Double Dash? More like triple trash

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Curious.

:hmmyes:

I bought it digitally.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

some real talk, I do believe there will be a Zelda release of some sorts this year. There's a heavy rumor of a Lego Zelda set coming this fall.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tingle's Rupee World 2 and a Tingle hideout lego set.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Double Dash? More like triple trash

it is easily a top 3 mario kart game

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

MK8:D still selling 100k copies/week at full price ftmfw

They are going to release it for the next Switch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3 console generations in a row for that game would be wild

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

3 console generations in a row for Skyrim would be wild

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

3 console generations in a row for that game would be wild

What about GTA5? Launched on PS3/360, still selling like crazy. Hell, it's a year older than Mario Kart 8, even.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Super Mario Bros has been on every Nintendo console besides the N64, and like half the handhelds as well.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

if switch 2 is just a portable ps4 then i can complain incessantly that they should port bloodborne to it

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the switch 2 is going to be so good. I can't wait to play it until at least 2033

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

worms butthole guy posted:

hi nintendo thread my connections let me in on some gaming rumors and i got a juicy one told to me yesterday:

march 28th, nintendo direct, switch succesor announced, targetting fall 23 launch

my connections are typically v good you can ask anyone

also best game song with vocals is obv snake eater

Still the best post itt

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm asking you how are their connections?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mister Facetious posted:

Back when this thread started (or was there one before it? I can't remember anymore), the was some article where indie devs were saying that their games would sell twice as often on the Switch as the PSN store.

From a couple page back but: that ship has already sailed. This effect was because of the relatively smaller size of the Switch online store, which allowed relatively unknown indies to have a huge window store presence.

Now that the store is bloated, it’s back to square one for discoverability and only getting worse day by day.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Popoto posted:

From a couple page back but: that ship has already sailed. This effect was because of the relatively smaller size of the Switch online store, which allowed relatively unknown indies to have a huge window store presence.

Now that the store is bloated, it’s back to square one for discoverability and only getting worse day by day.

Are you aware of numbers that have been released for Switch vs PS split for more recently-released indie games?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

Are you aware of numbers that have been released for Switch vs PS split for more recently-released indie games?

Not particularly no. My information comes from a few indie publishers that I know personally that have been ranting about the golden days being over. My own gut feeling is that it's still probably worthwhile to release on the Switch on top of Steam as an indie, but also to know it's not guaranteed a golden parachute like at the beginning.

One anecdotal data I have from a self published indie that had 0 marketing for their game that I can mention is that they sold about 3 to 1 in favor of the Switch compared to PC, for a final tally of around $15K.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

some real talk, I do believe there will be a Zelda release of some sorts this year. There's a heavy rumor of a Lego Zelda set coming this fall.

Link’s Crossbow Training 2

The Lego set will be a crossbow that holds a Joy-Con

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

if the next Switch is basically a Deck with Nintendo games (and backwards compatibility with all the poo poo I already bought on Switch), then yeah, sign me the gently caress up!
:yeah:

I might even buy Day 1 if that was the case. Not something I typically do with consoles.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Popoto posted:

Not particularly no. My information comes from a few indie publishers that I know personally that have been ranting about the golden days being over. My own gut feeling is that it's still probably worthwhile to release on the Switch on top of Steam as an indie, but also to know it's not guaranteed a golden parachute like at the beginning.

One anecdotal data I have from a self published indie that had 0 marketing for their game that I can mention is that they sold about 3 to 1 in favor of the Switch compared to PC, for a final tally of around $15K.

Ty! It's really hard to find any kind of numbers like this, I appreciate you sharing what you can.

Given the 3:1 ratio from Switch/Steam, I'm not sure you're saying something different from the other poster? "Publishing an indie game on Switch" is less of a golden ticket than it was in 2018, sure, but it sounds like the Switch might still be the best relative platform compared to the others.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I don’t care how powerful it is; I just hope it stays reasonably cheap so I’m not priced out of all sorta current video games.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

a.lo posted:

What’s it called

fluddd

the extra d is for deluxe

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

I don’t care how powerful it is; I just hope it stays reasonably cheap so I’m not priced out of all sorta current video games.

There's no way that it could land cheaper than the $299 Xbox Series S, to say nothing of the fact that PlayStations and Xboxes get discounted by much larger amounts than anything Nintendo ever has.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
$400 I predict and $450 if it’s OLED. That’s how much I squirreled away for it anyway

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I would be surprised if it's more than $300

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

I would be surprised if it's more than $300

The OLED Switch 1 is $349, a whole new system is going to be $399 at least.

The OLED screen doesn't even add that much cost, the PS Vita had an OLED screen at $199 in 2013 (after its price cut).

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 9, 2024

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ty! It's really hard to find any kind of numbers like this, I appreciate you sharing what you can.

Given the 3:1 ratio from Switch/Steam, I'm not sure you're saying something different from the other poster? "Publishing an indie game on Switch" is less of a golden ticket than it was in 2018, sure, but it sounds like the Switch might still be the best relative platform compared to the others.

Basically: if game making is something you’re doing as a job and not a hobby, then the rule for the switch is now the same as other places if you’re unknown: get a publisher willing to fund your project and make sure they have a good marketing department. Otherwise even with the 3:1 ratio (which can vary from game to game, that’s just one data point), you’re only gonna be making a bit of funbux instead of an amount that would fund you and your next project easily two times over like the early days of selling on switch.

There’s one specific dude that I know made around $300k USD from their one generic indie platformer. That was in the first year of the Switch’s release and they still have yet to put something else that can make that money. The golden parachute on the switch really was a one time thing for them.

And you’re welcome. I know it’s hard as hell to find numbers/experiences since everyone usually keeps the cards close to their chest.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 9, 2024

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If we're suddenly believing rumors then there's gonna be multiple skus, it starts at $400 for a digital only model, and the backwards compatibility is going to be tied to the top tier version

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh I wanted to ask: has anyone played D2 remastered on switch? Does it play well? Is the D2 remaster nostalgia bait or fun in its own right? I’m mostly very intrigued at the idea of playing Diablo with a controller.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The nintendo switch 2 will cost two thousand dollars.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
And worth every penny

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The nintendo switch 2 will cost two thousand dollars.

thank you pricemaster

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll buy it at a high price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Popoto posted:

Oh I wanted to ask: has anyone played D2 remastered on switch? Does it play well? Is the D2 remaster nostalgia bait or fun in its own right? I’m mostly very intrigued at the idea of playing Diablo with a controller.

it runs at 30fps instead of the 60fps on everything else, other than that it holds up and the game got a bunch of fun updates over the past year or so i.e. druids now can have all pets all the time lol.