Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i dunno if Vektor counts as NWoTM but they were probably the best if so before DiSanto was outed as scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

vektor got a lot of mileage out of tuning to f and writing weirder stuff but i never found them very memorable

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i just remembered that lich king uploaded the "Do-Over EP" to torrent sites with each song hosed up in different ways. Like on one song all the instruments replaced with mouth noises, or "this is a promo copy" layered on top of it, or one track where all the vocals were backwards.

At one point they also got Bolt Thrower's facebook page merged into Alan West's (old Bolt Thrower vocalist) by reporting it, even though Alan West had switched styles to a country artist. So every time you searched for Bolt Thrower you got Alan West's country project. It was great.

This is great! I’ve never heard his country music and can’t find it anywhere, sadly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

vektor got a lot of mileage out of tuning to f and writing weirder stuff but i never found them very memorable

this the type of poo poo I live for in tech thrash

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The disstrack discourse reminded me of this, which is pretty mild as far as those things go but such a fun song! https://youtu.be/i3u_JGmq5Fs?si=HS29XQ5JYI-xXL6V
“Glory left my hammer…”

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cobra Commander posted:

Can we get a fun metal beef between bands where they write songs about how they would kill other bands? I want to see Disgorge vs Disgorge. Some nerd rear end power metal bands slaying some dork rear end other power metal band with their enchanted longblades. Cannibal Corpse vs anyone is really what I want to hear.
every song Seth Putnam ever wrote

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
when died heaven truly gained an angel

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its also cool anal oval office's guitarist once heckled gene simmons until gene went into the crowd.

josh martin later famously died by getting drunk and loving around on an escalator at a mall, falling to his death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvQZVVU_HdQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cobra Commander posted:

Can we get a fun metal beef between bands where they write songs about how they would kill other bands? I want to see Disgorge vs Disgorge. Some nerd rear end power metal bands slaying some dork rear end other power metal band with their enchanted longblades. Cannibal Corpse vs anyone is really what I want to hear.

Turisas, a heavily Viking themed band, have a song "Hunting Pirates" on their album Stand Up and Fight.

The title track of Alestorm's album Back Through Time is about pirates traveling back in time to kill vikings.

Both albums came out in 2011, iirc some time after the bands had toured together for a bit.

Coincidence? You tell me.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Love all the lich king love. I've only been listening to them for a couple years but once I discovered them I listened to all their albums for like 2 months straight.

That raw sound on the werewolf is loving great

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Nordick posted:

Turisas, a heavily Viking themed band, have a song "Hunting Pirates" on their album Stand Up and Fight.

The title track of Alestorm's album Back Through Time is about pirates traveling back in time to kill vikings.

Both albums came out in 2011, iirc some time after the bands had toured together for a bit.

Imagine if Cattle Decapitation wrote a song about Six Feet Under after they dropped from their 2012 tour.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Southern Cassowary posted:

Their first two albums were probably their best. But the third they got way too serious about the "progressive" side of the songwriting and it felt like watered down Pink Floyd interludes with thrash riffs.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Their first two albums were probably their best. But the third they got way too serious about the "progressive" side of the songwriting and it felt like watered down Pink Floyd interludes with thrash riffs.

Terminal Redux was the soundtrack to my sophomore year of college so I disagree

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Man, this just makes me think of Attila

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

symbolic posted:

Terminal Redux was the soundtrack to my sophomore year of college so I disagree

Their first album hit me about that time in my life too, so I feel that. Hunger for Violence is one of my all time fave tracks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
sorry, but yeah, terminal redux rips

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Does this count as a dis track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-r8NZmbFE

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nordick posted:

Turisas knew and were right to mock Alestorm. Also I miss Turisas and hope they make new music again. The Varangian Way is one of my favorite albums and as far as concept albums go was pretty cool.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gJ8udpUKk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
despite anal oval office making all the throwaway poo poo-talking songs, i still maintain that their "Fuckin' A" album is an all-timer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSi8GjWA9-E

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its also cool anal oval office's guitarist once heckled gene simmons until gene went into the crowd.

josh martin later famously died by getting drunk and loving around on an escalator at a mall, falling to his death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvQZVVU_HdQ

if i knew which escalator it was, i would put a fake memorial plaque on it somewhere. could be any of the ones at that mall, they're terrifying

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

AARP LARPer posted:

sorry, but yeah, terminal redux rips

Yeah Star Trek thrash was something I never new I needed in my life until that album came out.

Also re: diss tracks, it's not in reference to a specific band, but this Ghoul lyric always makes me chuckle:

Splatterthrash posted:

Nightfall, and you head to the show
A ticket is clutched in your hand
Wearing a vest made of denim
With patches of your favorite bands
You get to the club
And the first band is totally lame
These posers are into the nu-school
They have t-i-o-n in their name!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
NW Terror Fest tonight.

Schedule:
4:30 Spiritual Poison
5:00 Nox Novacula
5:30 Warp Chamber
6:00 Body Void
6:30 BRAT
7:00 Daeva
7:30 Atrae Bilis
8:00 Blackwater Holylight
8:30 Slow Crush
9:00 Primitive Man
9:30 Ulthar
10:00 Giant Squid (playing all of Metridium Fields)
11:20 Amenra

Probably getting there in time for Warp Chamber and getting food after Body Void. I'm not familiar with anyone playing between them and Primitive Man (besides Daeva who are alright). Which of them should I be excited about? There are no set overlaps, just alternating stages/venues every half hour until Giant Squid and Amenra. Apparently Blackwater Holylight and Slow Crush aren't even metal bands really, so maybe that's when I get dinner actually.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 9, 2024

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Daeva is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6_mGPOeRU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Vektor; never has a band worked so hard to bore the poo poo out of me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also I miss Turisas and hope they make new music again. The Varangian Way is one of my favorite albums and as far as concept albums go was pretty cool.

Oh dude I miss Turisas so loving much, but sadly, far as I know, they just silently called it quits sometime during the quarantine years. :( All their social media accounts are gone and Metal Archives shows their status as "Split-up". Someone who's actually in the european metal industry also told me Turisas is "totally doneso". I didn't ask for elaboration.

Who knows, maybe the band have just purposefully gone completely dark for years in order to pull somekinda "triumphant return" stunt at some point. But I wouldn't hold out hope.

gently caress I'm sad now. Also gently caress all the haters, Turisas 2013 ruled. If you disagree, suck my dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FQCokApVE

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nordick posted:

gently caress I'm sad now. Also gently caress all the haters, Turisas 2013 ruled. If you disagree, suck my dick.
]

I'm just happy ensiferum's most recent album was good and better than the last 2. Folk metal rules.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Oldstench posted:

Vektor; never has a band worked so hard to bore the poo poo out of me.

Dream Theater

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

symbolic posted:

Dream Theater

gently caress you buddy.
Metal Songs are best, when the singer can take long enough breaks between solos that he gets a pop from crowd for returning.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

metal is the best kind of music, even if you like slam metal, the inferior caveman music compared to Pantera

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

symbolic posted:

Dream Theater

*Listens to Awake*

No.

*Listens to The Astonishing*

nvm you have a point

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm just happy ensiferum's most recent album was good and better than the last 2. Folk metal rules.

I'm still in sad mode, so I'll also point out the tragedy of Crimfall only ever putting out three albums. At least they were all great, and they even ended on their best one, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcTmunax5OE

^ That's the closing track on their last album, so it's kind of a capstone on their whole career, which makes it hit me all the harder. Incredible track.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Nightmare Cinema posted:

*Listens to Awake*

No.

*Listens to The Astonishing*

nvm you have a point

Funnily enough songs from The Astonishing has the 3rd most plays during DT tours based on Setlist.fm
That's mostly because they did a big release tour where they played just The Astonishing-album start to finish.
That pads the stats a bit.
They haven't played anything from it since 2017.

Hopefully now that Portnoy is back the new tour has more stuff from the Train of Thought/Systematic Chaos/Octavarium era.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

Dream Theater

this

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Nordick posted:

Oh dude I miss Turisas so loving much, but sadly, far as I know, they just silently called it quits sometime during the quarantine years. :( All their social media accounts are gone and Metal Archives shows their status as "Split-up". Someone who's actually in the european metal industry also told me Turisas is "totally doneso". I didn't ask for elaboration.

Who knows, maybe the band have just purposefully gone completely dark for years in order to pull somekinda "triumphant return" stunt at some point. But I wouldn't hold out hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FQCokApVE

Goddamnit I was hoping they'd go from unknown to Active status again one day :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Guzwar posted:

Goddamnit I was hoping they'd go from unknown to Active status again one day :(

unless they die or get into a really public spat, there is no reason to assume it could never happen. just don't hold your breath.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

One of the best Lich King pranks was sending out signed posters but labelling every single one of them 1/1000 or whatever - then everyone, including me, uploading it and tagging them :lol:

Also the 8bit album rules and was the first release of Combat Mosh I belieeeeeve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LcOqYSv2dQ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Issaries posted:

Hopefully now that Portnoy is back the new tour has more stuff from the Train of Thought/Systematic Chaos/Octavarium era.
A recent interview suggests that they're not going to shy away from their modern stuff now that Portnoy's back.

quote:

Mike, are there songs from the Mangini albums they made without you that you’d like to play live?
Petrucci: I don’t think he knows any of them. [All laugh].

Portnoy: One of the things we discussed with me coming back was about set lists for future tours. And John and the guys were open to me taking the reins back [in making them]. But with that came the discussion: what are we going to do with all the stuff from the last 13 years?

Petrucci: Yeah, you need to research.

Portnoy: I need to dive into those albums and do my research and learn these songs in order because obviously everything has to be represented. I am not going to speak for these guys, but I don’t think they want those five albums just erased from the history of the band.

Petrucci: No, absolutely not. Especially not the Grammy Award-winning [“The Alien”]. Did I just say that?

Portnoy: Geez.

LaBrie: The irony in that is I don’t want to play that song.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

One of the best Lich King pranks was sending out signed posters but labelling every single one of them 1/1000 or whatever - then everyone, including me, uploading it and tagging them :lol:

lmao i forgot about this. also a great prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

The Kins posted:

A recent interview suggests that they're not going to shy away from their modern stuff now that Portnoy's back.

Good.

I mostly hope they are not going to do "It's 25/30/35th anniversary of Images/Awake/Metropolis2 so we're gonna play half of that album" anymore.
They have 13 great albums (+Astonishing and the debut), so spread the love a little.