Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Seltzer posted:

Can all these video game news mongers post in a video game news thread or something? Same thing happened during the FTC trial. Just brings in a torrent of weirdos.

The mods shut down the video game news thread so we're stuck with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Gamepass, much like the war on terror, was always going to fail

The only successful gaming subscription model that could work is giving people access to archived content for a monthly fee ala Nintendo Switch Online.

You can’t just keep putting AAA billion dollars games on a service that half the people use exploits to get for free lol

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"brain drain! brain drain!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Turn10 needs another six years to make an even-worse Forza Motorsport, and that's not cheap

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

90sgamer posted:

The only successful gaming subscription model that could work is giving people access to archived content for a monthly fee ala Nintendo Switch Online.

You can’t just keep putting AAA billion dollars games on a service that half the people use exploits to get for free lol

To be fair it's not like the traditional model works particularly anymore either, as all of the leaked Sony documents show. Spider-Man 2 was a huge game that has barely earned a profit because it cost so much to develop. And they ended up trimming Insomniac shortly after it launched (and killing their multiplayer game).

It's the same spiral of increased costs -> risk aversion -> fixation on major IP likely to generate major returns that the movie industry is caught in.

Maybe Gamepass will ultimately fail or maybe it won't, but kind of like when they tried to migrate to digital-only a generation ago MS is out in front catching heat for a transition that the entire industry is trying to figure out with varying levels of success. Nintendo is the only major platform-holder that has made headway but they did it by accepting a niche market (that they dominate, to be fair, but that has a theoretically lower cap). Something like 81% of software sales on the Switch are first party.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I have an inside source at one of the studios that Xbox owns. She said that the general public will look at Xbox completely differently by the time September rolls around. Take that as you will.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

welcome posted:

Cool, almost forgot how insufferable SA has become, or maybe it's always been this way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have an inside source at one of the studios that Xbox owns. She said that the general public will look at Xbox completely differently by the time September rolls around. Take that as you will.
Xbox is going to do 9/11

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Wiltsghost posted:

Cool, almost forgot how insufferable SA has become, or maybe it's always been this way.

We do need a news thread. A lot of news is coming within the next two months and I don't want to bog down any thread regarding new material.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lord Packinham posted:

Microsoft can’t manage their current studios and produced mostly flops, but now that they have actiblizz……. They will also manage them into the ground as well.
Yeah I don't see this improving any time soon under current leadership. Despite them having a shitload of studios they continue to not be able to have a consistent schedule of games releasing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Turn10 needs another six years to make an even-worse Forza Motorsport, and that's not cheap

They tapped playground the people that make forza horizon to make the new fable lol.

What the gently caress lol

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

My dad works at Nintendo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

"You were always nice to me. Don't sign into Xbox Live tomorrow."

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

my uncle who worked for xbox :(

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They tapped playground the people that make forza horizon to make the new fable lol.

What the gently caress lol

Forza Horizon is actually good though. I'm glad they picked them over the people who make Motorsport

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

they picked the team that made a plague tale to make flight simulator so :shrug:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

spaceblancmange posted:

they picked the team that made a plague tale to make flight simulator so :shrug:

i absolutely want that team working on something that only has to look beautiful and carry no narrative

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

univbee posted:

"You were always nice to me. Don't sign into Xbox Live tomorrow."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Volte posted:

Xbox is going to do 9/11

WATCH PHIL START A loving WAR

acksplode
May 17, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

Asobo is a work for hire studio. What's weird is that the studio that remastered Disneyland Adventures and Zoo Tycoon made Plague Tale

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

quote:

Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player “immersive sim” game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.

MOTHERFUCKER

:negative:

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

90sgamer posted:

Lmao

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://x.com/verge/status/1788355578797904275

This is beyond parody now

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
What are the odds a studio is going to put out TWO good games? Might as well kill it now after they gave you one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Why did they buy activision in the first place again? They don't much interested in the whole "making video games" thing

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Starting a petition to convince bobby kitick to not accept the 375 million dollar payout and instead invest in the gamers worldwide. Please upload as many videos taking the pledge as you can

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Change.org petition for Bobby Kotick to replace phil. The people demand it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Starting a petition to convince bobby kitick to not accept the 375 million dollar payout and instead invest in the gamers worldwide. Please upload as many videos taking the pledge as you can

I am starting a street protest today op.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I wish we could get the industry thread back. I don't know why it was shut down. I know a fair amount of people that are impacted in the last year by all of the closures and layoffs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VanillaGorilla posted:

To be fair it's not like the traditional model works particularly anymore either, as all of the leaked Sony documents show. Spider-Man 2 was a huge game that has barely earned a profit because it cost so much to develop. And they ended up trimming Insomniac shortly after it launched (and killing their multiplayer game).

It's the same spiral of increased costs -> risk aversion -> fixation on major IP likely to generate major returns that the movie industry is caught in.

Maybe Gamepass will ultimately fail or maybe it won't, but kind of like when they tried to migrate to digital-only a generation ago MS is out in front catching heat for a transition that the entire industry is trying to figure out with varying levels of success. Nintendo is the only major platform-holder that has made headway but they did it by accepting a niche market (that they dominate, to be fair, but that has a theoretically lower cap). Something like 81% of software sales on the Switch are first party.
Nintendo is the traditional model. 5 games that are on average 6 years old sold 18 million copies last year. That's more than either Spiderman 2 and God of War will sell in their entire life probably.

Making a ton of AA and building IPs over decades is the way that dominates the industry and nothing else is coming close to the money that makes besides Fortnite and CoD themselves

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah but that involves actually making things, which MBA types don't like so much

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am starting a street protest today op.

start development on Redfall 2 NOW!!!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

90sgamer posted:

This is 100% true. Just for comparision the most expensive Netflix show so far was 270m which was Stranger Things Season 4.

That's already after they had 3 seasons of RoI and smaller budgets. Releasing a big triple a game you need a big budget right off the bat with no proof it will work(redfall).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Planet X posted:

I wish we could get the industry thread back. I don't know why it was shut down. I know a fair amount of people that are impacted in the last year by all of the closures and layoffs.

IIRC it was something like it generated more mod reports than the entire rest of the subforum combined.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Fuckin hate posting about Xbox news in the Xbox thread

All of your posts are trashing phil and doom posting about the company. You're exactly the type I'm talking about. I swear you people spend more time thinking about video game news and politicking then playing games. It's weird. Same poo poo happened for a week when xbox put high fi rush and sea of thieves on PS5 and acted like the sky was falling.

welcome posted:

FFS

Anyways. Has anyone played Lords of Fallen, how is it? It's coming to gamepass soon. I like dark souls and elden ring but I havent liked much in the way of non from soulslike games so far.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Seltzer posted:

All of your posts are trashing phil and doom posting about the company. You're exactly the type I'm talking about. I swear you people spend more time thinking about video game news and politicking then playing games. It's weird. Same poo poo happened for a week when xbox put high fi rush and sea of thieves on PS5 and acted like the sky was falling.

FFS

Anyways. Has anyone played Lords of Fallen, how is it? It's coming to gamepass soon. I like dark souls and elden ring but I havent liked much in the way of non from soulslike games so far.

It’s one of the better souls-likes out there, I had a pretty good time with it. It has a bit of jank but it’s definitely worth a GP download.

I’d put it around Lies of P, tbh. Loses some steam in the last bit of the game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Seltzer posted:

you people?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

From Tom Warren article.

quote:

"Today, one day after Microsoft announced that it would shut down four of its games studios, Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, held a town hall to discuss the division’s future goals. “We need smaller games that give us prestige and awards,” Booty told employees, according to internal remarks shared with The Verge."

That's Matt Booty, probably one of the worst people in management I've seen.

Xbox management has to be one of the most incompetent. They literally been getting carried by Microsoft money.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 9, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This is the reality of capitalism, it's a poo poo spiral that is accelerating and enshittifying everything at an alarming rate. Enjoy the things you like while you can because it's only going to get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

MOTHERFUCKER

:negative:

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Phil will not see heaven for this even though I know perfectly well Arkane ruined the series lore themselves with that awful Death of the Outsider storyline