Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nielsm posted:

USB is for connecting to a single computer, which could then be set up to share it over the network. Or you could set up a dedicated print server.

If the printer is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, and there isn't anything in the way that could block the signal between the printer and the router, then it really ought to be perfectly reliable. Don't rely on a direct wireless connection between computer and printer, always make the printer a part of the home network, connected to your access point (router).

Maybe that's the issue, it might be connected to a closer WAP instead of directly to the main router. It should be a solid enough connection for printing but not for huge data flows. It's 2 floor away from the main router, but the 2.4 should be strong enough for that if not stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Convinced my family back home to get a Brother MFC-L3720CDW yesterday for their home business needs. I want to get them on remanufactured toner once their starter toner wears out.

Amazon is as awful as it’s ever been with ephemeral Chinese brands. What’s the go-to for #229 3rd party toner? In The States, if that matters.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

buglord posted:

Convinced my family back home to get a Brother MFC-L3720CDW yesterday for their home business needs. I want to get them on remanufactured toner once their starter toner wears out.

Amazon is as awful as it’s ever been with ephemeral Chinese brands. What’s the go-to for #229 3rd party toner? In The States, if that matters.

3rd party toner is bad.
To make it simple, toner works by using developer, either in the toner completely(mono carrier) or separate(dual carrier) or a weird mix(only in high end machines). Developer is tiny metal shards that 'grab' the toner and deliver it to the drum. This developer/toner mix has a charge applied to it that is just different enough to the charge on the drum that the areas that are written by the laser on the drum that toner is attracted to the non-written areas(or vice versa depending on manufacturer).
As you can see above, this is a very complicated system, and throwing cheap crap in any copy machine will screw it up.
3rd party toner works slightly better in smaller printers because the 'toner' is a full drum/developer/toner unit that probably work with each other, though the transfer belt/roller has its own charge and will probably suffer.
Long story short, if you want the printer to last, buy the actual toner for it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
even before I decided that my life would be spent traversing the roads and motorways of southern england repairing these cursed devices, in an office I worked in where I looked after the printers (and all of the IT kit) because I knew what a LAN was, someone while I was on holiday decided to get some knock off toner or drums for the Canon SFP to save a few quid. When I came back on Monday, the knock offs were back in their boxes with what looked like toner all over them after some sort of spillage. My advice on knock-offs, and I said the same thing to every site I went to, was "if they work, great but if they don't work, do not expect anyone to do anything with the machine when they turn up apart from telling you to buy genuine ones and walking out"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ah poo poo, double post so content, I guess. Had a C8030 black toner go from 30% to bone dry in 24 hours, but also didn't get a notification from XDM telling me it was low, let alone empty. Also, we can't migrate to XWS off of Equitrac still because for reasons no-one can explain, all print jobs at my site get labelled in transit to the XWS server as from a different domain, and as they are from a different domain, they end up quarantined and never reach the server to be released. This doesn't happen at our other main site, and it doesn't happen on a completely isolated other network, it doesn't happen on any of our sites abroad, it literally just happens here. I suspect it's something to do with the network infrastructure here, but gently caress me, it's going to take months to get the bottom

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad just bought an Epson Expression Premium XP-6100, to replace a way older Epson printer that gave us almost nothing but trouble and I'd have to clean and realign the printer heads on at least 4 or 5 times every single time I had to print anything on it and even then it didn't print all that good.

Is the Epson XP-6100 a good printer, or should I tell my dad to return it and buy something else? He said he got it on sale at Office Depot for $99, so our budget is somewhere between that and about $150 if we need to swap it.

EDIT: For comparison, our old lovely printer was an Epson Expression Home XP-440.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

During the early pandemic and working from home I went to a laser printer, and would never go back. If you don't need a lot of bells and whistles they don't have to be expensive, and are all-around better for everything except color and photos.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

During the early pandemic and working from home I went to a laser printer, and would never go back. If you don't need a lot of bells and whistles they don't have to be expensive, and are all-around better for everything except color and photos.

We need decent color printing and scanning, but not like photo-quality printing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tech contact at a site I have no access to: "We have seven printers, all jamming, raise a ticket for each one! Now!"
Me: "absolutely loving not, give me more details about each printer you chancers"

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Tech contact at a site I have no access to: "We have seven printers, all jamming, raise a ticket for each one! Now!"
Me: "absolutely loving not, give me more details about each printer you chancers"

Let me guess.

Person tried to print something to one printer with the page settings set to non-default. Printer has a message saying to please confirm paper settings or load paper into manual reader, but the person thinks it’s a jam instead. Person attempts same print job to all the other printers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cyks posted:

Let me guess.

Person tried to print something to one printer with the page settings set to non-default. Printer has a message saying to please confirm paper settings or load paper into manual reader, but the person thinks it’s a jam instead. Person attempts same print job to all the other printers.

My vote is: Tried to print on heavy cardstock/sheet of labels, and kept loving up each printer they tried to print it on, and now they're all hosed up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They all reached a stock of paper that has been stored in conditions that were too humid and now won't feed

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

They ran out of toner for one, went and raided another that took the same supply, got a message, then the same thing happened when they took from another machine, and they eventually daisy-chained themselves into a "previously installed/used supply" message on all of them. Now they don't know how to clear them and are afraid to touch more buttons.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

oh no, six of the seven are jamming. They have been for four years. They just decided that Monday was the day they were going to rub two braincells together and actually raise tickets on the customer's support portal to do something about it. I even called the contact up and the conversation went like this

Me: So these printers all started jamming this week?
Him: Oh no, years
Me: And you raised tickets to get someone to do something?
Him: Well we thought you would service them
Me: Without telling anyone?
Him: It's all caught in the back. Each machine. Every tray. Three times a day at most
Me: *puts phone on mute, swears a lot* I might be able to get someone out on Friday

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You all don't do any preventative maintenance on your printers? You would have thought that if the machines have been jamming for 'years' that someone would have looked at them at some point and discovered that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

they probably performed only percussive maintenance, that's what I'd do if I was an overworked office drone who needs to print right loving now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Again, he assumed that we'd just send an engineer out to service them at regular intervals. When I told him that we only do that when we're called out for a fault, he kind of didn't mention it again. Someone when I was a mobile engineer did ask why we don't do annual maintenance and I worked out that we simply can't employ that many engineers

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Again, he assumed that we'd just send an engineer out to service them at regular intervals. When I told him that we only do that when we're called out for a fault, he kind of didn't mention it again. Someone when I was a mobile engineer did ask why we don't do annual maintenance and I worked out that we simply can't employ that many engineers

The company I work for has found that is is actually more efficient to have techs go on site if a machine hasn't been touched in a long time. You find issues before they blow up into huge problems, and customers are happy to see something for the money they are paying.
But that is a decision at a level high above techs or engineers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'll send someone in probably Friday, but it will probably tie him up all day and probably another day if he has to come back. It's just frustrating that these machines were just continually degrading in performance and no-one told anyone, no-one raised a concern, there was just this sort of acceptance that eventually someone would take the initiative and do something or, I dunno, maybe divine intervention would summon an engineer. I think I said above but it's a subsidiary division to who I work for so I can't just remote into their network to see the machines or get alerts or anything. I did briefly go downstairs to our IT team to ask how easy/difficult it would be to get a laptop to do any work and they just kind of went "yeah, good luck"

I have 80-odd machines I look after and I do some deep maintenance on two or three on a Friday and by the time I've gotten to them all it's back to the top of the list. Speaking of, I've got a squeaking agitator motor I have to probably replace this Friday, but I've got to fit it in around a 90 minute excursion off-site for a doctor's appointment

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

All sorted, thanks to getting hold of the area supervisor and essentially dumping it off on him. They did come back and ask me to order five black toners when they have three on site to cover 15 devices, none of which are even remotely low. They will get one to make four spares and like it

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Does anyone know about thermal printing? I am trying to use a thermal printer for plant pot stakes. Printer is a GoDEX zx420i and I am using whatever ribbon they sent me, guessing it is just wax.

I am trying to print on 4" polystyrene pot stakes. After troubleshooting, the printer works fine and prints on shipping labels no problem, but prints like poo poo or not at all on the pot stakes. My guess is the wax ribbon material doesn't work with polystyrene but can't confirm that anywhere. I ordered a resin ribbon in the meantime but won't be here til Tuesday to test. I hate this poo poo so much I just want to print on a little plant tag what thE gently caress

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like thermal transfer if there's a ribbon, the people who make the ribbon will be able to tell you what it's able to print onto.

This random website thinks printing on plastic needs a wax/resin or a resin ribbon, not a wax-only one https://www.barcodefactory.com/solutions/stock-labels/thermal-pot-stakes

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Sounds like thermal transfer if there's a ribbon, the people who make the ribbon will be able to tell you what it's able to print onto.

This random website thinks printing on plastic needs a wax/resin or a resin ribbon, not a wax-only one https://www.barcodefactory.com/solutions/stock-labels/thermal-pot-stakes

Awesome thanks, at least mostly confirms my theory of the issue. Hopefully will be resolved when the resin ribbon gets here. Blah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So the resin roll showed up. It's printing a tiny bit more onto the pot stake but still not a complete transfer. Prints fine on a label. No idea wtf is going on here.

edit I GOT IT. Apparently there are little tabs on the print head that adjust the pressure on the plate. I had to increase it a ton, I am guessing because I am printing on thick polystyrene. But it works now! Woo!

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 27, 2024