Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I still haven't seen The Room

edit: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nor I, I don't think I ever will.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Eh, you're not really missing much. It isn't nearly as funny or fascinating as the Internet makes it out to be. Pretty boring

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, The Room is an insufferable slog.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Room is mostly fascinating for perfectly capturing the feeling of watching daytime TV while sick with a raging fever

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just watched it the other day; Greg Sistero (the fellow who plays Mark) introduced it and talked a little bit about it, then we saw it in a theatre. I loved the movie when I saw it on my own, but the theater experience is definitely the way to go. One of the best movies I've ever seen because of that. A room full of people who are in on the joke, and genuinely love the movie for what it is.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pham Nuwen posted:

You can't really watch it without Rifftrax (either the original version or live).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

You can't really watch it without Rifftrax (either the original version or live).

I guess if you've got no friends to watch it with that might be an acceptable alternative.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hmmm. surprised at the hate the room is getting in this thread. i assume people are watching it alone (which is crazy), but it is incredibly fun with friends

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
the best way to experience "The Room" is to watch a 10-20 minute highlight reel on youtube, then watch "The Disaster Artist". "The Room" has just too much cringe and boring, not enough funny overall.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

teen witch posted:

I rewatched They Live on Saturday and rereading the initial reviews from its release are baffling.

Like you’d be insane in 2024 to call it a bad film but 1988 seemed really hellbent on doing so? Or at least minimizing it to beefcake brawls and 50s-esque aliens?

Makes me wonder what is out now that’ll be seen as so ahead of its time in 30+ years. Maybe not Morbius.

They Live is a surprisingly deep film. It trawls through issues like capitalism, media, collaboration, social classes. And then there's a 10 minute fist flight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The alley fight is one of the funniest fight scenes I've seen.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Every time I rewatch They Live, I swear that the fight scene gets longer than the last time I watched it somehow.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
When I saw it the first time, a friend got up during the fight scene, went to the bathroom, ordered some food, had a drink, came back, and the fight scene is still going ....

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

DontMockMySmock posted:

the best way to experience "The Room" is to watch a 10-20 minute highlight reel on youtube, then watch "The Disaster Artist". "The Room" has just too much cringe and boring, not enough funny overall.

God drat but you are wrong as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I have watched The Room at least 7-8 times together, twice in theaters. We seldom like the same movies but it's probably our collective favorite.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the only interesting thing to me about the room is the genre. Most rich people who finance their own movies, write/direct/star in it usually go for action.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

credburn posted:

I loved the movie when I saw it on my own, but the theater experience is definitely the way to go. One of the best movies I've ever seen because of that. A room full of people who are in on the joke, and genuinely love the movie for what it is.

That kind of reminds me of my experience with Cats. Just absolutely terrible, and the theater was filled with people (including myself) who knew what to expect (an abomination). I can't imagine how boring & awkward it would be to watch it by myself on my laptop/TV.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

That kind of reminds me of my experience with Cats. Just absolutely terrible, and the theater was filled with people (including myself) who knew what to expect (an abomination). I can't imagine how boring & awkward it would be to watch it by myself on my laptop/TV.

I also had a great experience at Cats. The entire theater did -- except for one poor lady who shushed us (there were at least a dozen of us) and later was heard mumbling, "It's NOT funny"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Southland Tales is on Pluto TV. Man what an insane film. I love it for it's craziness.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am a connoisseur of terrible movies but my absolute favorite bad movie is...BATTLESHIP!

It's so earnest. Everyone tries really hard. Liam Neeson is in it for some reason with the worst American accent of all time. Let's not forget the army veteran with no legs who is super bummed about not being able to kill people anymore and he finally gets his chance to take lives again. Or Rihanna giving the performance of her loving life. There's even a wise Miyagi Japanese character who helps the rebellious American learn how to lead.

The little details like the enemy ordinance being represented as pegs or the map that represents a grid system that works based on tsunami ocean buoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hai3iJHOO10

What do you do when all your ships are sunk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGp8D9832Y

How about a Battleship drift right before unloading pure unadultered American firepower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqDdsZY7RA

It's beautiful. It's so loving good. :911:

e: Honorable mentions:

Tokyo Drift
Battle: Los Angeles
White House Down

do not sleep ever on an action movie that stars a famous musician as an important character

3 DONG HORSE has a new favorite as of 03:47 on May 9, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am a connoisseur of terrible movies but my absolute favorite bad movie is...BATTLESHIP!

It's so earnest. Everyone tries really hard. Liam Neeson is in it for some reason with the worst American accent of all time.

He has that accent in just about everything, I love it.

Tell me, does he pound his fist against a desk and yell with conviction "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!!!"? Because if not, what are we even doing?

I also liked Battle: Los Angeles. The alien designs were unsettling as hell. And it's just schlocky ooh-rah GWOT jingoism with no filter. Aaron Eckhart screaming "US MARINES" every time he entered a room was pretty funny.

Actually back to Neeson for a bit, I kind of enjoyed the A-Team remake. It too was stupid good fun.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mister Speaker posted:

He has that accent in just about everything, I love it.

Tell me, does he pound his fist against a desk and yell with conviction "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!!!"? Because if not, what are we even doing?

Spoiler alert: the Missouri never sinks :fsmug:

an old navy veteran does reference the line though: "You ain't gonna sink this battleship"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

do not sleep ever on an action movie that stars a famous musician as an important character

Why don't bands make full length movies any more? Two Beatles films, You Can't Stop the Music and Spice World.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh! That reminds me of a fun stinker of a movie:

Daniel Stern, Ed Begley Jr, the drummer out of the Doors (seems like they wanted John Bonham but he was "unavailable") and Malcolm McDowell as aging rock star Reggie Wanker.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Room is best watched in its entirety, because a lot of its confusing allure is just how weirdly stitched together all its bits are. Half the scenes in the movie have no relevance whatsoever to the core plot, even if you ignore the scenes that are just shots of San Francisco, and there are tons of vestigial characters. It's worth watching just for the experience, and also because it's impossible to predict which bits of this crap will be hilarious to any given viewer.

Chrpno posted:

Daniel Stern, Ed Begley Jr, the drummer out of the Doors (seems like they wanted John Bonham but he was "unavailable") and Malcolm McDowell as aging rock star Reggie Wanker.

This movie doesn't suck, although it is extremely of its time. It's actually shockingly clever for a dumb '80's comedy, imho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antivehicular posted:

The Room is best watched in its entirety, because a lot of its confusing allure is just how weirdly stitched together all its bits are. Half the scenes in the movie have no relevance whatsoever to the core plot, even if you ignore the scenes that are just shots of San Francisco, and there are tons of vestigial characters. It's worth watching just for the experience, and also because it's impossible to predict which bits of this crap will be hilarious to any given viewer.

Watching The Room in a theatre really makes you notice how many scenes just go on for 4-5 seconds after they really should have cut, how many pointless establishing shots there are, the completely nonsensical dialogue everywhere, etc. At the same time it's eminently watchable because Tommy Wiseau spent a ton of money to buy really high quality digital cameras and even got the studio guys to help film it. If he didn't spend so much of his own money to shoot and promote this pointless vanity project then The Room would have been a lot less fun.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's so earnest. Everyone tries really hard. Liam Neeson is in it for some reason with the worst American accent of all time. Let's not forget the army veteran with no legs who is super bummed about not being able to kill people anymore and he finally gets his chance to take lives again. Or Rihanna giving the performance of her loving life. There's even a wise Miyagi Japanese character who helps the rebellious American learn how to lead.

The little details like the enemy ordinance being represented as pegs or the map that represents a grid system that works based on tsunami ocean buoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hai3iJHOO10

What do you do when all your ships are sunk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGp8D9832Y

How about a Battleship drift right before unloading pure unadultered American firepower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqDdsZY7RA

It's beautiful. It's so loving good. :911:

e: Honorable mentions:

Tokyo Drift
Battle: Los Angeles
White House Down

I never felt more patriotic than when they fired up the old ww2 battleship with all the old veterans while AC/DC blasted in the background.

That they then drifted the boat to victory like they were in Tokyo Drift or Initial D was a masterstroke.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Chrpno posted:

That's a great music ensemble film. We argued about who Reggie Wanker is meant to be. David Bowie? Marc Bolan?

It also features Lou Reed as the enigmatic musician "Auden" who works the entire film traveling to the gig in a taxi, writing a song.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Southland Tales is on Pluto TV. Man what an insane film. I love it for it's craziness.

I wouldn't describe as a good film. But it's so absolutely, 110% into its own crazy idea, that's admirable. Everyone is so serious and the film never blinks at its own absurdity. It's amazing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

nonathlon posted:

I wouldn't describe as a good film. But it's so absolutely, 110% into its own crazy idea, that's admirable. Everyone is so serious and the film never blinks at its own absurdity. It's amazing.

I agree completely - it ISN'T GOOD by any metric of the word good but it's very much its own batshit insane thing and I think that's amazing. I wish there were more films like that. Just giant weird sprawling insanity.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuttyKnife posted:

I never felt more patriotic than when they fired up the old ww2 battleship with all the old veterans while AC/DC blasted in the background.

I think you mean the old WW2/Korean/Gulf War battleship because they stuck it in the harbor for 30 years and then reactivated it in the 80s. They slapped Tomahawk launchers on it and installed some of those old compact Macs which were still on the desks when I toured it in 2007.

OT sure but the Missouri is a loving cool ship.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

I agree completely - it ISN'T GOOD by any metric of the word good but it's very much its own batshit insane thing and I think that's amazing. I wish there were more films like that. Just giant weird sprawling insanity.

I just glanced at the synopsis on Wikipedia and saw it has Seann William Scott in it. I'm gonna have to watch it, I think.

No idea why, but I love Seann William Scott.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh man you're gonna get more than you bargained for then

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh man you're gonna get more than you bargained for then
does he hang dong?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No but he plays two roles, and twins at that. Double the stiffler!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hallo spacedog posted:

yeah. it's also somehow much more real in 2024 than it was when it was released

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elissimpark posted:

I just glanced at the synopsis on Wikipedia and saw it has Seann William Scott in it. I'm gonna have to watch it, I think.

No idea why, but I love Seann William Scott.

don't read anything more about it, just inhale it and breathe out understanding

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

No but he plays two roles, and twins at that. Double the stiffler!

vincemcmahon_fallingoutofchair.gif

Incidentally, in relation to my previous post, I genuinely enjoyed Dude. where's my car? and occasionally, to puzzle and annoy my wife, will do the Zoltan 'z' thing.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 16:33 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
My wife and I still do the 'I know your body! *fingerwag*'