Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

I think what makes it work is that there's no designated punching bag among the Smith's, pretty much every member is just as likely to be dealing out the abuse as they are to be receiving it

It definitely works better as a result. I haven't watched Family Guy since season 2 or 3 but even by then making GBS threads on Meg was pretty tiresome.

I think the a great example of this is the episode where the family roasts Roger and then each other, pretty much spells it out while still being loving hilarious: "Stan you have the undeserved ego of Jeremy Piven, the annoying self-righteousness of Sean Penn, and the unbearable hypocrisy of Rush Limbaugh. What I'm trying to say is, you're almost as bad a person as Rachel Ray."

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Pretty sure Klaus is the closest thing to a punching bag, but it helps that Klaus is a bad person with no sense of loyalty to anyone or anything.
Meg's punching bag status came from a writing staff that didn't really know how to deal with female characters, let alone a teenage one, and since she was characterized as being overweight/ugly, they felt that was license to make them the bottom rung of the social order. It could have been a commentary ON how society treats people like her, but it mostly ends up being misogynistic reinforcement since Family Guy's talented writers left to do American Dad anyway.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Klaus did eventually become a better character

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mx. posted:

Epic fail!!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Help me Maury, my daughter's a bitch!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah the Meg stuff got ludicrously mean-spirited, they've toned it down a lot fortunately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OykYb05EuY

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nichael posted:

They aren't mean spirited toward each other, just the rest of the world. It makes for more consistent writing.

Roger this cage is supposed to be for the entire family but you’re always the one using it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mx. posted:

HUMANS ARE TALKING!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Klaus has always been the best character. It's just that he got better

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Klaus has always been the best character.

But Francine's always been around

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neeksy posted:

Pretty sure Klaus is the closest thing to a punching bag, but it helps that Klaus is a bad person with no sense of loyalty to anyone or anything.
Meg's punching bag status came from a writing staff that didn't really know how to deal with female characters, let alone a teenage one, and since she was characterized as being overweight/ugly, they felt that was license to make them the bottom rung of the social order. It could have been a commentary ON how society treats people like her, but it mostly ends up being misogynistic reinforcement since Family Guy's talented writers left to do American Dad anyway.

It helps that 1) like you said Klaus is more often than not an awful person, and 2) Klaus might be the most frequent victim for abuse in the family(especially in the early seasons where they had problems figuring out what to do with him) but he also gets plenty of chances to dole it out as well

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

He got to charge Steve, for one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1czNnym2MgE

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

He absolutely schooled Hayley in one and one, and that hurts cause she's a real baller. Not somebody who would forget to check the ball on game point.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Klaus in the melon and scallop soup was super gross, and funny

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nobody is safe from AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g39q9pKPu-k

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I know AI is poo poo but come on, Hayley's shiny forehead isn't even covered up.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That's because AI is really bad at being given specific commands on details without the piece further devolving into mush as it has to re-iterate over and over.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

An absolute dogshit Patrick Stewart

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I would have prompted Steve as just Scott Grimes I can't see him as anyone else. Interesting enough to see where the AI took it, and where they decided to prompt certain things. Maybe they just had trouble getting the AI to do certain things.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

AI slop deserves to get DADDED!

No one is safe.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have no bad sides. My front is bad, though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Starting The Long Bomb. So many perfect moments.

Season 12 really kicks things into a higher gear.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sir, do you have a daughter?

I used to...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ha! I was only pretending to be a genius.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Klaus went from Brian rip-off complete with trying to gently caress the main guys wife to just a weird loser to an almost pitch-perfect parody of an extremely specific kind of person (Florida douche) that does not show up in american pop-culture very often but also almost everyone in America has met. But as a fish with a german accent. And it loving works and makes his suffering hilarious

Meg is just a normal girl who's like slightly overweight, I guess. But not enough that its in any way noticeable in a loving cartoon show. They're just bullying a normal girl basically.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Started season one on a whim and while it's far from perfect there's still gems to be found early on:

Also, I forgot the opening intro gag started off different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Season 1 is fine if for no other reason than the Ollie North song is amazing

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Season 1 is fine if for no other reason than the Ollie North song is amazing

But that's season 3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This show has been on too long, I really thought that was Season 1, maybe Season 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Klaus went from Brian rip-off
Was he ever portrayed as an intellectual (or, a wannabe intellectual, really) in those early seasons too?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think he's literally a phd in psychology even back then.

That's why they turned him into a fish

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Things really changed for Klaus when the writers realized that they didn't have to have him trapped in his bowl the whole time and could have him out and about in adventures

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, he just has to be touching water.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Is there a writer or writing team that is prolific when it comes to American Dad episodes like Swartzwelder was for The Simpsons?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He talks how? And apparently, he doesn't even have to be in water. Just, like, touching it? That's not how fish work

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Davros1 posted:

Things really changed for Klaus when the writers realized that they didn't have to have him trapped in his bowl the whole time and could have him out and about in adventures

They definitely wrote themselves into a corner early by having two core cast members who couldn't leave the house and realized it pretty quickly. On my current rewatch I noticed that they originally acknowledged people noticing Roger's weird proportions/grey skin the first two or three times he put on a costume, but it normalized to "Nobody notices or cares as long as he's in a costume" super quickly. Now I wish I had paid attention to how soon after that they were able to get to "Klaus can drag himself around in a tiny dish of water without issue, it's fine."

...now I'm thinking about how it's super important that nobody finds out that Roger is an alien, but the talking fish can go out in public and interact with people regularly without incident.

Levin posted:

Is there a writer or writing team that is prolific when it comes to American Dad episodes like Swartzwelder was for The Simpsons?

Doesn't seem like it...Looking at the IMDB credits and no one name really stands out. It looks like the most "Written By" credits anybody has is 20, which both Joe Chandler and Nic Wegener have reached. But they've both got 50+ "Staff Writer/Story Editor/Executive Story Editor" credits, and 100+ "Supervising Producer/Co-Executive Producer/Executive Producer" credits. I don't think the show has had a Schwartzwelder-style guy who was cranking out scripts in solitude that rarely needed significant rewrites or staff input.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Steve I forget how exactly are you related to Klaus?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Remember when they used to run stores in the attic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

For a bar in an attic that you have to walk through a residential house to get to you have an impressive amount of customers!