Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shocked, shocked I tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watchmen Dr. Manhattan Sitting Meme for "Bryan Fuller had creative differences"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

It would be super weird if it did since the Hulu/Disney no ads bundle is just $2 more than Hulu no ads by itself.

Is it actually no ads Hulu tho? When it first came out you could get ad free Hulu, ad free Disney, or an ad free Disney + Hulu with ads bundle

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BonoMan posted:

The hell? Why? For making a better BR movie than him?

I did see Villeneuve say he won't ever play in anyone's universe anymore.

Scott insisted that Harrison Ford was a replicant all long. Villeneuve disagreed, and he insisted Villeneuve was also a replicant and tried to physically throw him under a bus. When the police showed up he accused them of being replicants as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Azhais posted:

Is it actually no ads Hulu tho? When it first came out you could get ad free Hulu, ad free Disney, or an ad free Disney + Hulu with ads bundle

Yup, you actually have to buy the bundle from Disney, it's not on the Hulu site.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Final season of Inside No 9 started tonight. Show's still got it.

If you've never seen the show before they're a series of really clever one set plays, very British working class comedy but completely wild and divergent tones and experimental structures. Sometimes they go really scary, sometimes they're romcoms. This week's was playing with the tone a lot, and it ended up being an excellent modern Twilight Zone.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
imagine getting a face a facelift and one week later you're in jail

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BonoMan posted:

The hell? Why? For making a better BR movie than him?

I did see Villeneuve say he won't ever play in anyone's universe anymore.

He's gone on record saying that him and Villeneuve disagreed on the direction for the universe, and that he implored Villeneuve to make it 30 minutes shorter and shoot it cheaper but he didn't listen, and that's why the film bombed.

Recently he said he regrets not just directing it himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1788565010228433016

Like, Sirkis was really good in the role, but I don't like Gollum, I don't like the voice, I sure as gently caress don't want a whole rear end made up movie about it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Like, Sirkis was really good in the role, but I don't like Gollum, I don't like the voice, I sure as gently caress don't want a whole rear end made up movie about it

What? No. Just, all kinds of no.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 9, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also in that 1Q earnings call:

I hear they're taking Dune and Dune 2 down and sending agents to your house to convince you you never saw them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

I hope it's going to be based on the gollum video game

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I am counting the days before every large corporation wakes up and realizes they get more ad return paying some flavor of the month tiktok or youtube star to promote their brand than buy hours of ads spots on TV and streaming. The collapse is going to leave a crater inverse to the size of Paramount mountain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I am counting the days before every large corporation wakes up and realizes they get more ad return paying some flavor of the month tiktok or youtube star to promote their brand than buy hours of ads spots on TV and streaming. The collapse is going to leave a crater inverse to the size of Paramount mountain.

I think the problem is that they woke up and realized that the opposite was true. And it is, though I take no joy from it. Companies are willing to shell out billions of dollars on marketing, people aren't willing to pay a price commensurate with that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

I think the problem is that they woke up and realized that the opposite was true. And it is, though I take no joy from it. Companies are willing to shell out billions of dollars on marketing, people aren't willing to pay a price commensurate with that.

quote:

Streaming ad sales rose 70% to $175 million vs. $103 million for Q1 2023.

TV ad sales were down 11% at $1.99 billion.

So they lost $240 million from one side of the equation to only gain $75 million from the other side. The economics of ad supported streaming are not working out.

Keep in mind that includes not only ad supported MAX, but whatever revenue sharing they are getting from FAST.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean couldn't that be ascribed to fewer people watching TV and the ad dollars following the viewership numbers

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

I mean couldn't that be ascribed to fewer people watching TV and the ad dollars following the viewership numbers

It's not. Linear TV ad spend is dropping at a rate double to viewership drop-off. There's no reason to believe it's SIMPLY because it's linear TV. Eyeballs should be eyeballs.

So if Liner TV ad spend is dropping at a rate double to viewership dropoff, and gains on the streaming side of ads are only half the losses on the Linear side, this points to ad supported models being unsustainable in the long run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If that's true then there isn't a sustainable streaming model. Or at least one that doesn't involve sub fees much, much higher than what we pay now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not sustainable to build shows costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

If that's true then there isn't a sustainable streaming model. Or at least one that doesn't involve sub fees much, much higher than what we pay now.

I think that's the problem.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Scott insisted that Harrison Ford was a replicant all long. Villeneuve disagreed, and he insisted Villeneuve was also a replicant and tried to physically throw him under a bus. When the police showed up he accused them of being replicants as well.

This reminds me of the replicant police station chapter in the book which is still my favorite thing to come out of anything Blade Runner

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Not sustainable to build shows costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Ding ding ding.

The shows are

1) Too Expensive
2) Too Many

This all got flipped on its head when studios became vertically integrated distributors of their own content. At that point, things changed from selling shows to using shows to sell the service. That pushed them to out-compete and out-produce rivals which resulted in massive overreach in content production. It's all about chasing the new. The new thing will bring someone into the service that's not already subscribed. Everyone adopted the Netflix model while still trying to be a traditional business with shareholders that require growth every quarter and other business divisions that don't like having their financials be dragged down by losses.

While all this was happening, the growth of social media, the internet, and short form video meant it was easier than ever for advertisers to do low budget hyper-focused ad campaigns. Why spend millions of dollars with an ad company to try to find out what will catch the attention of 12-14 year old girls and then figure out where to place the ad spots and buy them when they can just strike a few grand deal with someone that does kids toy unboxing videos on YouTube to promote their thing and reach the audience directly with a simple script?

To be clear, the ad apocalypse was coming regardless. The writing was on the wall long before the rise of the streaming factions. The proliferation of content coming out of the 90s and into the early 2000s divided eyeballs too much and devalued ads. This is the reason for the rise in carriage agreement disputes and bundling channels when it comes to cable companies. They were trying to offset the ad revenue drops by getting more direct payment. That was then taken to its full extreme by introducing all the streaming services. Then social media and short form video arrived on the scene and stole even more eyeballs.

At this point, the only real long term solution is massive contraction, but capitalism won't allow that. Number must go up every quarter. The lack of proper social safety nets including lack of universal healthcare means a contractions would also be devastating to those in the industry that aren't multi-million and billionaires. So, we're going to see increasing enshtiification to try to squeeze every penny out of the consumer until we have multiple uncontrolled collapses after the consumer refuses to bear the cost anymore.

I think on the movie side, "The Fall Guy" is a great example of the bloat. You have a movie that cost as much to make as Mad Max: Fury Road, but it's a summer action rom com. This is something that would have been about $20 million to make in the early to mid 90s which adjusted for inflation would be about $50 million today. This it cost nearly 3 times that and then they are bemoaning that it only made $27 million in its opening weekend. It may be a perfectly fine movie, reviews seem to support that, but it's not something that's going to make back a $130 million budget easily in today's market and they should have known that going in. "The Lost City" is a similar type of movie and had HALF the budget and went on to make $190 million which would be barely (or possibly not) enough to break even for "The Fall Guy" after marketing budget.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 9, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bull3964 posted:

The shows are

1) Too Expensive
2) Too Many

god ain't that the fuckin truth. Maybe I am completely wrong and living in a fuckin dream world, but I feel constantly overwhelmed by the amount of fuckin shows out there. I feel like it wasn't like this 20 years ago. Pick a genre, I feel like nowadays you'll be overwhelmed with choice whereas it used to be only a few shows per genre per year. It's cool to have variety, but goddamn it always feels like I'm behind. I'm not trying to say that I'm feeling forced to watch a bunch of shows but if I wanted to keep up on all the shows that interest me, that would require me to basically give up all of my free time to watching those shows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yea I started a video game I'm very into and now I'm extremely behind on all the shows I've been watching. Welp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, trying to figure out how much time to split between TV I want to watch, movies I want to catch up on, books I want to read, and video games I want to play is actually in most cases just causing executive decision shutdown and putting on FXX to watch continual cartoon reruns or firing up youtube for some short form dopamine hits.

I have more media in my backlog collectively across all those sources at this point to well and truly last me until I die and more is constantly coming out. This isn't an abstract "with all the stuff out there" this is of actual owned and/or tracked stuff that I have on a list.

That's honestly FINE, production capacity doesn't have to be constrained to only what I consume, but the current state is also not healthy for the companies the front the money to make all this stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Same. When a neighbor or coworker recommends a TV show, I nod and smile politely, knowing I'll likely never get around to it. My list is already just too long.

I honestly only take recommendations seriously if they come from this thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Be careful, that's how I ended up watching three seasons of Vampire Diaries

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess this blows my mind because I feel like there's barely anything that's actually good. Loads and loads of new content but never anything that really smashes it out of the park.
Frieren was probably the last thing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Be careful, that's how I ended up watching three seasons of Vampire Diaries

I didn't say I listen to all of the recommendations. But I take them seriously, look into them, and decide for myself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I look forward to a few shows at a time but mostly have whatever old poo poo on in the background. New stuff is cool but increasingly comes in two flavours: Blazingly short bursts of goodness followed by it probably being cancelled in under X seasons which don't even amount to one proper season.

The processes of making good things and making profitable things have never been more at odds, and they were always mortal enemies to begin with. I appreciate we get as much good as we do because it's an uphill battle to do so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Bear season 3 premieres 6/27 on Hulu.

I'm looking forward to it! Season 2 was some unbelievably good television.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khanstant posted:

I look forward to a few shows at a time but mostly have whatever old poo poo on in the background. New stuff is cool but increasingly comes in two flavours: Blazingly short bursts of goodness followed by it probably being cancelled in under X seasons which don't even amount to one proper season.

The processes of making good things and making profitable things have never been more at odds, and they were always mortal enemies to begin with. I appreciate we get as much good as we do because it's an uphill battle to do so.

I feel like you're missing whatever your second flavour here is?

For me a lot of modern shows (and I know this is on purpose) only care about moments and I'm constantly finding myself going "but how did X happen, why did Y happen" and etc

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Accept that you will die with shows and movies unwatched, games unplayed, books unread, music unlistened to, places unvisited, experiences unhad. Treasure the experiences you do have. Embrace infinity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, trying to figure out how much time to split between TV I want to watch, movies I want to catch up on, books I want to read, and video games I want to play is actually in most cases just causing executive decision shutdown and putting on FXX to watch continual cartoon reruns or firing up youtube for some short form dopamine hits.

It usually just ends with me getting incredibly stoned and throwing on an old Jerma stream. Working through his Elden Ring streams currently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1788599887195734231

Gonna be weird without Conroy but man oh man the design... (More stills if you click through)

Looks like they are intentionally enhancing the Fleischer aesthetic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rageaholic posted:

The Bear season 3 premieres 6/27 on Hulu.

I'm looking forward to it! Season 2 was some unbelievably good television.

Staying with the binge release model too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Taear posted:

I guess this blows my mind because I feel like there's barely anything that's actually good. Loads and loads of new content but never anything that really smashes it out of the park.

Different people have different tastes.

For example, you just posted the name of an anime that I've never even heard of before as an example as the latest thing that knocked it ouf of the park for you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Taear posted:

you should watch delicious in dungeon

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1788599887195734231

Gonna be weird without Conroy but man oh man the design... (More stills if you click through)

Looks like they are intentionally enhancing the Fleischer aesthetic.

Same energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taear posted:

you been watching Dungeon Meshi?

tho Frieren never really hit for me, that show def did.