Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s OK! Most economic activity happens inside!

Hang on, I’m getting a message… Food and water come from outside????

I've been informed that our finest capitalists are working on ensuring food and water come from inside. They expect breakthroughs any hour now and thus it's the perfect time to invest trillions of dollars on guaranteed returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

nah all that indoor farming poo poo went tits up when the interest rate hikes came down. that shits over.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

spiritual bypass posted:

who cares, farmers are chuds

My food comes from inside the supermarket, who cares about farms

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

everyone has infinite water on demand in their houses too

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

nah all that indoor farming poo poo went tits up when the interest rate hikes came down. that shits over.

It may possibly go somewhere if they can manage to get nitroplasts transplanted into any plants, but lmao that level of genetic tinkering is wild to imagine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroplast

And even then it just removes the need for nitrogen being fed to the plants. It does nothing for all of the other nutrients. Kills aquaponics though

To be clear there will be attempts to get nitroplasts into everything regardless of whether or not hydroponics is explored

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
We all ready have protected cropping, battery chicken farms, and RO desalination plants - problem solved.

Just a few more GWh per cucumber and bam, all that economy safely indoors.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pidgin Englishman posted:

We all ready have protected cropping, battery chicken farms, and RO desalination plants - problem solved.

Just a few more GWh per cucumber and bam, all that economy safely indoors.

Hang on… I’m getting word that food and water need to be transported using vehicles that have to go outside?????

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hang on… I’m getting word that food and water need to be transported using vehicles that have to go outside?????

the cabin is a miniature bubble of inside

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

DOME

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
as time doesn’t stop in 2100, yeah I’d say we’re gonna blow past 6 degrees too eventually.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mola Yam posted:

2100°C by 2100

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Stereotype posted:

there’s been more activity at Kilauea so keep an eye out for an eruption there. it’s pretty boring at the moment though, no lava to see

Ruang is currently blowing the gently caress up but it's not really the kind you want to get close to to look at

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've played enough sea of thieves to know that is absolutely not a safe distance

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

starkebn posted:

graph to brighten your day

it unironically does brighten my day that at least one person has realised you shouldn’t put a black box around your plot when a steep line at one edge is a key takeaway

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

man I didn’t even notice that but you are so right.

also goddamn that plot really does look apocalyptic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What? What black box? I don't see any bordering on that chart

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
bought a big piece of red meat today

love da treats

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Could someone please repost the 'please stop sending me this graph' image? I have tried but I cannot find it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

What? What black box? I don't see any bordering on that chart
exactly

I meant in comparison to
and most of the doom plots where the punchline datapoint is easily missed because it just looks like the plot border

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao that every day last year was warmer than it ever was 25 years ago

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Daily graph and lol

https://x.com/jamc666/status/1787890043702390960

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://x.com/EliotJacobson/status/1787870773694337527

lol, lmao. :smithicide:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
420 blaze it lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

420 blaze it lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

420 blaze it lol

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
“silicon valley will save us”

Silicon Valley:

https://youtu.be/rj9JSkSpRlM?si=Y4-Cu6VgtluGQV5e

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

starkebn posted:

graph to brighten your day

Is that bad

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yet another benefit of climate change has been discovered

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2024/04/24/climate-change-is-slowing-earths-rotation

Climate change is slowing Earth’s rotation
This simplifies things for the world’s timekeepers

quote:

Within the next few years the time nerds of the International Earth Rotation Service, the body that decides when leap seconds should fall, may need to implement an entirely novel “negative leap second”. On some future December 31st, in other words, the stroke of midnight will follow a 59-second minute. Such adjustments are a vexing prospect for organisations reliant on perfect timekeeping, from stockmarkets to power grids. But a new study suggests that climate change will buy them some welcome extra time.

quote:

The melting of the polar ice sheet since the end of the last ice age, 12,000 years ago, has also made Earth spin faster. Their weight squashed the poles; their subsequent disappearance allowed Earth’s crust to rebound and become more spherical. This caused an acceleration in the planet’s spin

quote:

Dr Agnew also found effects pulling in the other direction. In recent decades, climate change has been shrinking the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, shifting water mass off the land and into the oceans where it can be redistributed. By reducing both regions’ mass, the melt decreases their gravitational pull, with the net effect of “pushing” water away from their shores. Water lost from the Greenland ice sheet ends up pooling most noticeably around the equator and in the southern hemisphere. The opposite, more or less, is true for water released from the Antarctic ice sheet. Glaciologists who have tracked how all this water mass moves around from land to oceans have consequently found a shift away from the poles and towards the equator. That means Earth’s waistline is thickening

quote:

The effect is not huge—it is measured in millimetres per year—but is nonetheless enough to exert a braking effect on Earth’s spin.

quote:

It is also delaying the need for a negative leap-second. Without climate change, current trends suggest IERS will need to implement one within just two years. Dr Agnew’s calculations suggest they have until 2029. That time will allow software engineers running systems reliant on the precision of atomic clocks to devise new programs capable of handling the negative leap second.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
It's fine

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Basic Poster posted:

“silicon valley will save us”

Silicon Valley:

https://youtu.be/rj9JSkSpRlM?si=Y4-Cu6VgtluGQV5e

are robot flamethrower dogs protected under the 2nd amendment?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

it's number, it's supposed to go up!

love that my president has responded to this crisis of humanity by signaling that he's going to place tariffs on Chinese solar and wind manufacturers while expanding domestic oil and gas extraction.

Also I wonder what all of the calculus that went into that decision was. How much of it was trying to punish China because it's the world's largest single oil importer, and it's trying to switch away from being dependent on it's geopolitical rivals? How much of it is just CHINA BAD CONTAIN CHINA?

Because like China accounts for over 13% of global oil consumption according to some quick googling, there has to be people on Exxon's board doing the math on what a green china exporting cheap solar and wind generation could do to the bottom line

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

smoobles posted:

are robot flamethrower dogs protected under the 2nd amendment?

the right to keep and dog arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

420 blaze it lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Nitevision posted:

Is that bad

it's great from the perspective of crocodiles in the arctic

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The thickening waistline of Earth will save us.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

420 blaze it lol

Hubbert posted:

happy 420 :shobon:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i hope those deer survived

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Yet another benefit of climate change has been discovered

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2024/04/24/climate-change-is-slowing-earths-rotation

Climate change is slowing Earth’s rotation
This simplifies things for the world’s timekeepers

what if we assemble a team of scientists and send them to the planets core in a giant tunneling machine and then launch some nukes at it to keep it spinning fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is it possible the earths rotation is reduced enough to loosen relative spacetime around it, slowing our perception of time and giving us an additional hundred years of local perception to address the falling rate of profit