Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Perhaps it is that alienation from author to work that has cheapened our experiences with art.
We've been told for a long time that it is vitally important we strip not just authorial intent but author altogether and I think that's kinda a dead end creatively and critically and relegates art as "product" and not expression

You might really like this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jU4yBmeFBI

I agree with what you're saying and I still insist that this whole deal is a very difficult philosophical problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vox Nihili posted:

should have eaten some ivermectin, idiot

what do you think killed the worm?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Bethamphetamine posted:

TROOF

I absolutely love Marjorie Taylor Greene. She’s got Spirit, she’s got Fight, and I believe she’ll be around, and on our side, for a long time to come. However, right now, Republicans have to be fighting the Radical Left Democrats, and all the Damage they have done to our Country. With a Majority of One, shortly growing to three or four, we’re not in a position of voting on a Motion to Vacate. At some point, we may very well be, but this is not the time. We are leading in the Presidential Polls by a lot, both Nationally and in the Swing States. Likewise, we are doing well in the Senate, and I believe will do well in the House. But if we show DISUNITY, which will be portrayed as CHAOS, it will negatively affect everything! Mike Johnson is a good man who is trying very hard. I also wish certain things were done over the last period of two months, but we will get them done, together. It is my request that Republicans vote for “THE MOTION TO TABLE.” We WILL WIN BIG - AND IT WILL BE SOON!

best part is he posted this after the vote failed

I hereby declare you do the thing that happened, which is because of me

e: also MGT will never be VP she's covered in loser stink

Durf has issued a correction as of 04:30 on May 9, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

He knows she only has one job and that she will do it

pushups and pull ups with really lovely form?

Dropping weights onto the floor?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

emfive posted:

You might really like this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jU4yBmeFBI

I agree with what you're saying and I still insist that this whole deal is a very difficult philosophical problem.

In a sense but the practical solution is fairly straightforward. When someone says that beauty mark you're admiring is actually a cancerous abscess, you cut it off. Immediately.

So should we with the monsters of our society.

Not that this guarantees improvement but we've tried living with them for a few thousand years and that didn't work so hot so I say time for a new tactic

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRHvIpBiws

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

In a sense but the practical solution is fairly straightforward. When someone says that beauty mark you're admiring is actually a cancerous abscess, you cut it off. Immediately.

So should we with the monsters of our society.

Not that this guarantees improvement but we've tried living with them for a few thousand years and that didn't work so hot so I say time for a new tactic

OK, I said this is a personal thing and I still mean that. So what do you, personally, do when you go to an art museum and see a Caravaggio painting?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/eOdjDHc.mp4

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

god drat that cat is weird

wait is that the joke?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

emfive posted:

OK, I said this is a personal thing and I still mean that. So what do you, personally, do when you go to an art museum and see a Caravaggio painting?

Full disclosure I don't know enough about his life to condemn him. When he was taught I recall a lot of the critical part on his life being labeled as speculatory or slander by a direct rival artist. There was certainly a lot of that about.

Was he a bad enough dude to earn the cut? I see Wikipedia says he killed a guy

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Full disclosure I don't know enough about his life to condemn him. When he was taught I recall a lot of the critical part on his life being labeled as speculatory or slander by a direct rival artist. There was certainly a lot of that about.

Was he a bad enough dude to earn the cut? I see Wikipedia says he killed a guy

he was an absolutely horrible person. He had a big affair with some woman and got pissed off and sliced her face up. He was banished because he had connections but he would have been immediately killed if he didn't.

Lots, lots, lots of European artists have been absolutely horrible people. That almost certainly goes for artists from other cultures. And "artist" means painter, sculptor, architect, author, poet, etc

Look into the "Romantic" poets, Shelley for example.

I don't have an answer.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

might have also been a pederast

I'd say Bernini was probably my fave old master and to my knowledge he didn't do anything insane except work for catholics

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
mildly sick and I’m like, maybe I have hantavirus from that mouse a little while back

probably not but a man can dream

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Durf posted:

might have also been a pederast

he and Bernini are probably my fave old masters

yea Caravaggio was probably (by our modern way of looking at things) gay, but things were really hosed up in the 16th century. Or maybe things were better. Who knows.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I have nothing but contempt for all that which has come before me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I have nothing but contempt for all that which has come before me

same

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

people interested in art should watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk

there are 3 more 1/2 hour episodes, you'll find them on youtube

it's good, you can trust me because I am your dad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

emfive posted:

he was an absolutely horrible person. He had a big affair with some woman and got pissed off and sliced her face up. He was banished because he had connections but he would have been immediately killed if he didn't.

Lots, lots, lots of European artists have been absolutely horrible people. That almost certainly goes for artists from other cultures. And "artist" means painter, sculptor, architect, author, poet, etc

Look into the "Romantic" poets, Shelley for example.

I don't have an answer.

Well I guess now this will be the first thing I think of next time I see his work and I'll wonder if the taint breaks the illusion of it. Will make a note of it...

And then I will go hunting for my lady Artemisia Gentileschi because she ruled and doesn't require guilt

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

emfive posted:

yea Caravaggio was probably (by our modern way of looking at things) gay, but things were really hosed up in the 16th century. Or maybe things were better. Who knows.

the Thirty Years' War was a laff

so fun it inspired Bosch to paint hell on earth

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Christ there was a popular song in 1976 about Pablo Picasso being a sex pest

Was never called an rear end in a top hat

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

And then I will go hunting for my lady Artemisia Gentileschi because she ruled and doesn't require guilt

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

that child is getting her masters degree tomorrow

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yesssss

Barron Trump to step into the political arena as a Florida delegate at the Republican convention

The position as an at-large delegate for the Florida Republican Party will be the highest-profile political role thus far for Barron, former President Donald Trump's youngest son.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

emfive posted:

that child is getting her masters degree tomorrow

Don't post pictures of your kids here, for their sake.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you post your rats

pfc I am not happy with you at the moment, I will probably go back to loving you soon but really

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

SirPablo posted:

Yesssss

Barron Trump to step into the political arena as a Florida delegate at the Republican convention

The position as an at-large delegate for the Florida Republican Party will be the highest-profile political role thus far for Barron, former President Donald Trump's youngest son.

hes already at-large

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

emfive posted:

you post your rats

come on dude. go to bed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

You say "actually, gently caress that person" and go look at art by Giacamo Balla or something. Or go to regional galleries and support local artists today.

There is no reason to hold a monster on a pedestal.
Picasso is ubiquitous with a movement but he was a part of a composite in that place and time the same as anyone else.

Same reason I don't listen to Michael Jackson anymore - there were and are plenty of other non monsters to spend my time on.

Time is your resource. Spend it supporting good people

I spend it on something awful

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
people say don't post your kids because they care about your kids, they care about you

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
lol I bet that's one of those short legged cats, they have problems

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
You're fawning over a tortured bauble of a pet

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

people say don't post your kids because they care about your kids, they care about you

yea I get it but seriously it's not a huge deal, my kids are already kind-of public due to their own stuff

however I do appreciate the concern of this community for me and my people, it's touching and I mean that seriously

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

emfive posted:

you post your rats

for some reason this scanned in my head as the chorus from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i--tT_vZzVM

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

congrats on your kid's hooding (they literally put a "hood" around their neck that hangs down the back, which I'm sure you know)

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

whats trunpin

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The reason to avoid Picasso's art is, it sucks

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

lol I bet that's one of those short legged cats, they have problems

i think it's one of these situations