Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-O posted:

There's that one storyline in Ultimate X-Men that really stands out along those lines. There's a kid who's power is literally he kills everyone within like a 10 mile radius or something. No lasers, no fights. Just a kid wakes up one day, his power activates, and everyone just drops dead. So obviously Logan is the only person that can handle this, being pretty much unkillable, and he goes into town. Talks to the kid and lets him know that he just can't live any longer as he's too dangerous. He gives the kid a beer and the kid doesn't even want it, he just wants to get it over with. And that's that. Sad story. One of the only memorable things from the Ultimate X-Men book.

I've heard of that, and it just makes me think of the Justice League Unlimited episode with Batman and a crazy powerful little girl named Ace where he has to do the same thing.

I wonder which came first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard of that, and it just makes me think of the Justice League Unlimited episode with Batman and a crazy powerful little girl named Ace where he has to do the same thing.

Well, Batman doesn't kill Ace, she's just gonna die of brain issues, Batman volunteers to go in and kill her to stop the psychic wave when she dies from killing lots of people, he ignores those orders and just talks her down. Makes her undo the weird psychic changes she's made and makes sure she's not alone when it happens. Probably one of my favourite Batman moments in those shows.

Looking up those two things, looks like the comic came out in mid 2004, the episode of JLU came out in 2005 so not too far apart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NikkolasKing posted:

That issue of Ultimate X-Men came out about a year and a half before that episode of JLU. But they're not really that close at all. Batman doesn't kill her.

EDIT: Beaten, yeah he just stays with her as she dies.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I am starting the Flash movie, god help me.

X-men 97 is good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Goondolences

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Marsupial Ape posted:

It's fine

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The first 5 minutes were actually really good…then Batman.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Marsupial Ape posted:

The first 5 minutes were actually really good…then Batman.

This is opposite day from most reviews

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Isn’t Aquaman older than Flash?

Edit: never mind, the guy from Mr. Mom just explained it. I’m having fun.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 9, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

So just the classic Marvel thing of letting the villain make a bunch of salient points but ultimately push it too far so that the boat doesn't get too rocked.

See, I feel the exact opposite. Whenever this happens, whether it's Magneto, Flag Smasher, or Killmonger, people want the cool villain who has a sympathetic motive to do righteous violence...

as long as no-one innocent gets hurt, because then it gets messy and you have to actually reckon with complicated stuff like where you draw the line on using violence as a tool to achieve political change.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Best Batman and I have the same Kingston track ball mouse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/beaudemayo/status/1788314830090412518

Hmmmm, hmmmmm. If I remember that episode correctly that means the season is going to end with a Kelsey Grammer reveal

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
That's a time loop episode

Hmm

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't understand why Cyclops Prevents Xavier from forcing Magneto to reverse the damage. The only thing I can think of is he's worried that if Magneto reverses the damage and electricity is restored, the prime sentinels could put the Blue Team in danger? But he just saw a psychic vision from Jean of her apparent death?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thebardyspoon posted:

Well, Batman doesn't kill Ace, she's just gonna die of brain issues, Batman volunteers to go in and kill her to stop the psychic wave when she dies from killing lots of people, he ignores those orders and just talks her down. Makes her undo the weird psychic changes she's made and makes sure she's not alone when it happens. Probably one of my favourite Batman moments in those shows.

Looking up those two things, looks like the comic came out in mid 2004, the episode of JLU came out in 2005 so not too far apart.

The sad thing about this scene is that it is extremely Batman, but Batman fans would never want to see that happen. They just want him to Punch the Joker, after the Joker's murdered a bunch of people for no reason.

Its a bit unreal how good this show is. They're able to walk that line about adapting comics but still having it be interesting and exciting for those who have read them. I hope if we do get Onslaught, it will also feature the Avengers and Fantastic Four being involved, as he beats the crap out of them. Also Juggs, as If i remember he takes the gem from him?

One thing I don't remember is how Wolverine got his adamantium back

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I don't understand why Cyclops Prevents Xavier from forcing Magneto to reverse the damage. The only thing I can think of is he's worried that if Magneto reverses the damage and electricity is restored, the prime sentinels could put the Blue Team in danger? But he just saw a psychic vision from Jean of her apparent death?

That's exactly it. He saw Jean die/get injured and realized that Gold team was getting their asses kicked, so they need more time for someone to pull a last minute Hail Mary.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I didn’t get this either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The sad thing about this scene is that it is extremely Batman, but Batman fans would never want to see that happen. They just want him to Punch the Joker, after the Joker's murdered a bunch of people for no reason.

Its a bit unreal how good this show is. They're able to walk that line about adapting comics but still having it be interesting and exciting for those who have read them. I hope if we do get Onslaught, it will also feature the Avengers and Fantastic Four being involved, as he beats the crap out of them. Also Juggs, as If i remember he takes the gem from him?

One thing I don't remember is how Wolverine got his adamantium back

Sabretooth got an adamantium skeleton before he interrupts Wolverine's wedding to Madame Hydra. Anyway, Apocalypse has Adamantium Sabretooth fight Wolverine and Wolverine wins so Apocalypse takes the adamantium out of Sabes and puts it in Wolverine, making him his new Horsemen of Death.

And Wolverine gets this sick costume:

At least I think this is the right order of events. Back in the 90s they were teasing Apocalypse was actually behind Weapon X, hence his control of adamantium.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 9, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why the hell does Wolverine need a sword

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

FlamingLiberal posted:

________________/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Away all Goats posted:

The prime sentinels are gonna turn on and gold team hasn’t stopped Bastion yet, if Magneto reversed his magic then Bastion returns to full power

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gangringo posted:

This is why I've never liked the X-Men as a metaphor for oppressed minorities. When one of them can literally end all life on earth because he feels like it, and they go around referring to themselves as something other than human fear of mutants seems pretty drat justified.

Storm constantly refers to herself as a goddess.

If I was a random rear end human in the MU, I'd be very worried about anyone talking like that with the power to toss tornadoes at my head.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Final act was all sorts of loving cool. The fight direction of this show is just so drat good.

I feel like they missed a trick not referencing you should have gone for the head at the end.

Gangringo posted:

This is why I've never liked the X-Men as a metaphor for oppressed minorities. When one of them can literally end all life on earth because he feels like it, and they go around referring to themselves as something other than human fear of mutants seems pretty drat justified.

Lol this is my biggest problem with X1. Senator Kelly says nothing incorrect or unreasonable at the beginning - unless I'm misremembering, he references a mutant who can walk through walls and what's to stop her from walking through the walls of a prison or a bank, then says "we need to know where they are and what they can do" - then is murdered by a god-like mutant with an unstoppable vendetta against humans which ultimately kind of proves his point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NikkolasKing posted:

Sabretooth got an adamantium skeleton before he interrupts Wolverine's wedding to Madame Hydra. Anyway, Apocalypse has Adamantium Sabretooth fight Wolverine and Wolverine wins so Apocalypse takes the adamantium out of Sabes and puts it in Wolverine, making him his new Horsemen of Death.

And Wolverine gets this sick costume:

At least I think this is the right order of events. Back in the 90s they were teasing Apocalypse was actually behind Weapon X, hence his control of adamantium.

That is extremely silly, perfect.

Also that wolverine looks like a 90s D&D enemy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Storm constantly refers to herself as a goddess.

If I was a random rear end human in the MU, I'd be very worried about anyone talking like that with the power to toss tornadoes at my head.

Except no one complains about Thor.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I wish X-Men '97 would end a season with Legion Quest and have the following season be set in Age of Apocalypse.

The original animated X-Men was what inspired/lead into Age of Apocalypse already, I don't think they'd want to re-tread that already rather than adapting a new storyline.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's got six reasons right here!

"No. Sieben."

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 9, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Gangringo posted:

The whole point of the entire X-Men is that because we the readers/viewers spend time with them, we know that they're people just like us behind the super powers. It's not supposed to be a one to one corollary with oppressed minorities - by making mutants 'actually dangerous' it's basically saying 'if you can find compassion with these lovable outcasts who could hypothetically end the world (but won't because they are people), then you can definitely live side-by-side with people who are different to you but who don't have godly superpowers'.
It also acts as more of a reflection of the appearance of repressed minorities, heightening it by upping the ante by making those imagined 'but what if all these oppressed people rose up' fears of bigots into something more severe.

If anything, what undermines the thrust of the series is that everyone looks like a supermodel, not that they have super powers. Even our boy Glob has a certain je ne sais quoi to him

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 9, 2024

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
"Do you want Onslaught? Because that's how you get Onslaught."

So this ep is making me think they want to run through the remaining major events of 90's X-men, obviously Bastion now and what's being speculated as a strong possibility for season 2. So that makes it pretty weird they dipped firmly into the 2000's for the destruction of Genosha and even had Emma manifest her second mutation.. Have they called on any other later stuff I might have missed? Or maybe they are just getting all the big hits in from X-men history and that's the main one they reached forward for, rather than back like the Trial of Magneto.

The costume changes were cool but a bit weird, like there didn't seem to be a reason they did it? Also Storm had already changed outfits (and how did that happen anyway? Nemesis magic?) And I think they should have leaned more into Morph's AoA/Exiles gear and colours or just not bothered, I thought the functionless shoulder pads looked weird.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaz-L posted:

Except no one complains about Thor.

Thor is humble and charming. Storm always comes off as a narcissistic supremacist to me.

Honestly, given how she's written in a lot of stuff, it would make so much more sense for her to be working with Magneto.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Grumbles posted:

If anything, what undermines the thrust of the series is that everyone looks like a supermodel, not that they have super powers. Even our boy Glob has a certain je ne sais quoi to him

The paraffin jelly fetish enjoyer has logged on.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

The costume changes were cool but a bit weird, like there didn't seem to be a reason they did it? Also Storm had already changed outfits (and how did that happen anyway? Nemesis magic?) And I think they should have leaned more into Morph's AoA/Exiles gear and colours or just not bothered, I thought the functionless shoulder pads looked weird.

The mansion got blown up and those were the costumes in the safehouse or whatever that other place is. It's implied that they're older costumes.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

The paraffin jelly fetish enjoyer has logged on.

He has good posture! Probably uses a standing desk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

So this ep is making me think they want to run through the remaining major events of 90's X-men, obviously Bastion now and what's being speculated as a strong possibility for season 2. So that makes it pretty weird they dipped firmly into the 2000's for the destruction of Genosha and even had Emma manifest her second mutation.. Have they called on any other later stuff I might have missed? Or maybe they are just getting all the big hits in from X-men history and that's the main one they reached forward for, rather than back like the Trial of Magneto.

I mean, it basically is their Exiles suit minus the cape

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So McDonald's is already giving out toys for Captain America: Brave New World.

These are two my daughter has gotten for Falcon and "Ruth", whoever that is. (My daughter doesn't usually go to McDonald's this often, but one of her grandmothers took her a few nights ago, and another one of her grandmothers took her last night. I found the toys this morning.) Feels weird given that we don't even have a trailer yet. My brother said his son also got one for Red Hulk, so they don't even care about spoilers. I guess the dates were set before the delays, and McDonald's doesn't give a poo poo about the actual release date?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

"Ruth", whoever that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_(character)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's the ultimate wielder of the Muramasa or something

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

quote:

She is a mutant, and serves as an agent to the Israeli secret service known as the Mossad.

This should go well.

edit: I see at the bottom that Marvel has said they are taking a "new approach to the character."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 9, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thor is humble and charming. Storm always comes off as a narcissistic supremacist to me.

Honestly, given how she's written in a lot of stuff, it would make so much more sense for her to be working with Magneto.

the real difference is that Thor is a jock for whom the entire crux of his character is being humbled (literally) by his dad and Storm is a drama kid who talks down to just about everyone, including cosmic divinities and a guy who is both Batman and a king

It tends to happen with characters who appear in long running serialized media, but even when Storm has canonized fuckups like leaving the Morlocks to get slaughtered by the Marauders after becoming their leader, it usually gets swept under the rug in favor of her going right back to speechifying while looking majestic and making lightning strike random things in the background

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This was in the Muir Island hangar lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

OnimaruXLR posted:

the real difference is that Thor is a jock for whom the entire crux of his character is being humbled (literally) by his dad and Storm is a drama kid who talks down to just about everyone

A perfect description - she's that smug drama kid from high school.