Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I've been rewatching the new Planet of the Apes movies in anticipation for Kingdom and man that first movie is a real snoozefest until Caesar shows up. Watching them in a row it is kind of wild how far they've come because the first one was still pretty janky with the apes but by the third they've gotten it down pat.

Lol I'm the exact opposite. The first one is the only one I really liked with an emotional arc and characters and a plot that grabbed at me, a child being treated as a pet in a world they don't belong in. And the rest of the movies are pretty depressing count downs to Ceaser killing the bad guy of the week. Not my kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they should have worked out some way to get andy serkis into the new movie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
only if he's playing a regular rear end dude though

Kino Loy > Snoke

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I loved War honestly because both how low key it was and for how well it worked in the Alpha Omegas from the old movies and how it continued to tackle different themes from every previous movie while still doing that.

Thise three flicks in general, for being a reboot, prequel, thematic continuation at the same time? Good poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr Zaius song when

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Is the upcoming Apes movie a continuation from the last three, or some new thing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The smaller scale of War works for me because Woody and the rest of the antagonists really do feel like the last pathetic gasp of humanity fading into the background as the apes ascend into dominance.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Only Kindness posted:

Is the upcoming Apes movie a continuation from the last three, or some new thing?

a continuation. one of the trailers has mentioned humans losing the ability to speak, which came up as a plot point in War

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I liked Rise, except for the climax where the amoral and ruthless CEO decides he personally needs to gun down all the apes from a helicopter. To me that felt like a proper case of “we need the villain to be in this fight despite his very unconvincing motivation.”

I’m not entirely sure the villain human actually is more or less villainous than the protagonist human, in the end? They’re both complicit in wiping out humanity and creating intelligent apes. It’s just that the villain is more of a dick about it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a problem with Rise is that to get to Caesar as a character it has to keep jumping forward in time which just leads to an awkward structure to the story. Dawn spends a lot of time with the human characters who aren't evil but it is hard to be sympathetic when they are the cause of all the problems between the groups. To me War is the strongest because it dials in to just follow the ape characters that they've spent two movies developing. So it is hard not to get choked up when Rocket, Maurice and Luca show up to go with Caesar on his journey. Also Bad Ape is a fun character who could have been just super annoying but somehow his antics remain charming.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s funny because all the apes are played by somewhat recognizable actors but you’d never be able to guess who they are and then Bad Ape shows up and you immediately think, “Oh hey that’s Steve Zahn.”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Same happened with Paul Giamatti in the Burton film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

vegetables posted:

I liked Rise, except for the climax where the amoral and ruthless CEO decides he personally needs to gun down all the apes from a helicopter. To me that felt like a proper case of “we need the villain to be in this fight despite his very unconvincing motivation.”

I’m not entirely sure the villain human actually is more or less villainous than the protagonist human, in the end? They’re both complicit in wiping out humanity and creating intelligent apes. It’s just that the villain is more of a dick about it

He's so underdeveloped that it is hard to care about him as a "villain."

Argus Zant posted:

a continuation. one of the trailers has mentioned humans losing the ability to speak, which came up as a plot point in War

One thing I noticed from the trailer is that the titular "Kingdom" is still using Caesar's symbol (a stylized representation of his bedroom window) hundreds of years later.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
New Zahler incoming. Shooting starts in the fall.

https://variety.com/2024/film/global/vince-vaughn-adrien-brody-bookie-and-the-bruiser-s-craig-zahler-1235995631/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Someone finally remembered The Bible is public domain and thus we can get a Jesus horror film with Nic Cage...

quote:

Nicolas Cage, FKA twigs, Noah Jupe and Souheila Yacoub are set to star in Egyptian-American director Lotfy Nathan’s The Carpenter’s Son exploring the rarely told story of the childhood of Jesus with a horror take.

Paris-based Cinenovo and L.A.-based Spacemaker are producing. Goodfellas is overseeing international sales apart from in North America, which it will co-rep with Anonymous Content and WME.

Nathan has taken inspiration from the apocryphal Infancy Gospel of Thomas for the screenplay. Dating back to the 2nd Century AD, the text recounts the childhood of Jesus.

Per the official synopsis, “The Carpenter’s Son tells the dark story of a family hiding out in Roman Egypt. The son, known only as ‘the Boy’, is driven to doubt by another mysterious child and rebels against his guardian, the Carpenter, revealing inherent powers and a fate beyond his comprehension. As he exercises his own power, the Boy and his family become the target of horrors, natural and divine.”

https://deadline.com/2024/05/nicolas-cage-fka-twigs-noah-jupe-holy-family-lotfy-nathan-the-carpenters-son-1235905229/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I wonder how litreal it's going to be. Is Jesus is going to go and kill two kids cos one spilt some water and another bumped into him.

Kid Jesus was a dick and adult Jesus killed a fig tree because he was too much of an idiot to know when fig season was.

That poor fig tree. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He’s going to turn Pepsi into Coke.

And beat the alltime Battletoads speed run record.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't there a bunch of Deleted Scenes-gospels about Young Jeezy expelling demons and striking people dead for reasons ranging from debatable to petty? Seems ripe for adaptation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

davidspackage posted:

Isn't there a bunch of Deleted Scenes-gospels about Young Jeezy expelling demons and striking people dead for reasons ranging from debatable to petty? Seems ripe for adaptation.

Yeah, it's in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas which they say the movies going to be based off.

It's pretty wild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas#Content

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It should be a martial arts adventure series, leading to the invention of Judo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ynohtna posted:

Need to have him trying to learn how to do a flying kick and failing, throughout the movie then a scene at the end where he gets trapped in a cave when a big bolder falls in front of it, so he flying kicks it out of the way.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
someone should do a movie about jesus retiring to japan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just a shame this weird loving Nazi is still making movies

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
He's the only right-wing filmmaker that is capable of using subtext and that has something interesting to say. I hope he makes more movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they're all cowards

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

He's the only right-wing filmmaker that is capable of using subtext and that has something interesting to say. I hope he makes more movies.
I'm not sure I've ever seen him say anything interesting, mostly it's just grotesque racist bullshit. Also, again, he's basically a loving nazi. I'm guessing there's a difference in our identities that makes you more tolerant of his shtick, which, fair enough. For me his films are just one big stinky turd.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

yeah do please enlighten the class by what he has to say

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Riefenstahl had some use of subtext IIRC.

Anyway, didn't really know any of that about Zahler, that's a shame. I thought Cell Block 99 was fun. Sucks to suck.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do remember goons being absolutely obsessed with Bone Tomahawk, watching it and being like holy poo poo this is racist as gently caress, and he's pretty much only gotten worse since then.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh it's the dragged across concrete guy who's like "wow, our movie is so racist you'll be shocked!" like yeah ok i'll simply not watch it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I'm assuming Brody will be doing his minstrel schtick from SNL.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen him say anything interesting, mostly it's just grotesque racist bullshit. Also, again, he's basically a loving nazi. I'm guessing there's a difference in our identities that makes you more tolerant of his shtick, which, fair enough. For me his films are just one big stinky turd.

I was gonna say what subtext is there in his films aside from racism is actually cool and right. And jesus Bone Tomahawk was very racist and can't believe people actually defended that poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

B-Rock452 posted:

I was gonna say what subtext is there in his films aside from racism is actually cool and right. And jesus Bone Tomahawk was very racist and can't believe people actually defended that poo poo

It was a cool western with amazing gore. I feel like on it's own you could argue maybe he was just a stupid head. But his work since lol.

He's a garbage man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This really feels like an LotR videogame or something. I do respect Serkis tho (APES TOGETHER STRONG) and I don't think I'll find it as obnoxious as 85% of the choices in the Hobbit trilogy.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-movie-2026-release-warner-bros-1235997102/
"Warner Bros. to Release New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie ‘The Hunt for Gollum’ in 2026, Peter Jackson to Produce and Andy Serkis to Direct"

I guess Jonas Tolkien the 4th or whatever has some gambling debts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A Saw movie that’s just orcs torturing gollum for 3 hours

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like Serkiss, I’ll give it a chance. Definitely has a chance to be fourth best Jackson-produced LOTR movie.

Regular Wario posted:

someone should do a movie about jesus retiring to japan

There’s a whole fringe Japanese Christian belief that Jesus escaped the Romans and went to Japan to become a garlic farmer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd be down with Scorsese just focusing on Japanese Christianity for the rest of his career and adapting more and more Shusaku Endo (I believe he is actually doing that next). Silence is still my favorite of his from this century, even with a goofy accent or two in there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This really feels like an LotR videogame or something. I do respect Serkis tho (APES TOGETHER STRONG) and I don't think I'll find it as obnoxious as 85% of the choices in the Hobbit trilogy.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-movie-2026-release-warner-bros-1235997102/
"Warner Bros. to Release New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movie ‘The Hunt for Gollum’ in 2026, Peter Jackson to Produce and Andy Serkis to Direct"

I guess Jonas Tolkien the 4th or whatever has some gambling debts.

I was briefly interested in the Gollum game until it turned out Andy wasn't attached. The hobbit trilogy pretty badly killed my interest in LotR adaptations and I'm not a fan of the whole "let's write some Rings prequel fanfic and produce it" but yeah, maybe Andy can still do something interesting with the character.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ynohtna posted:

How about an americna adaptation of Makai Tensho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1788573565677101395

Apple seems very bad at budgeting movies.