Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean the method you proposed would probably work once, but you wouldn't like why the light stopped working when you closed the switch :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean the method you proposed would probably work once, :v:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Tried to start my 2017 prius, host of lights came on, and it sounded Rough. Quickly shut it down, pulled code P0354. Okay cylinder four doesn't have a spark, let's take a look...

Oh. How do I fix this? Is there a way to get the nub of wire and that pin out of the connector? I can solder or crimp an extension on I guess.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

NomNomNom posted:

Tried to start my 2017 prius, host of lights came on, and it sounded Rough. Quickly shut it down, pulled code P0354. Okay cylinder four doesn't have a spark, let's take a look...

Oh. How do I fix this? Is there a way to get the nub of wire and that pin out of the connector? I can solder or crimp an extension on I guess.

Options:
1. You could take the connector apart with picks and little screwdrivers, then solder on a replacement wire.

2. Buy the whole pigtail and replace all the wires.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Google "2017 Prius ignition pigtail" and you'll get a bunch of results to wade through.

It's probably a very common connector so you can find pins and plug and crimp straight to the factory wires but might not be worth the effort.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If your local junkyard has one of these you might be and to grab the pigtail cheap.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

Google "2017 Prius ignition pigtail" and you'll get a bunch of results to wade through.

It's probably a very common connector so you can find pins and plug and crimp straight to the factory wires but might not be worth the effort.

OP, Common pigtails are available at your local auto parts store. Take a bunch of good pictures (especially of where the pins go in) and take those pictures to the store. You'll probably get lucky.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The full part number is 90980-12A29 if that's any help. I haven't found any pins for it yet googling but I did find the whole empty housing. My personal preference would be to find the pin release tool for the connector and buy like ten pins, and just recrimp that one pin with an extension on the wire if needed rather than splicing all the wires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So what is the failure point on that? Looks like rodent damage and not chaffing.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thanks all. Ordered a kit with new pins and connectors. Is soldering the preferred method for extending the wires or butt crimp connectors?

It's almost certainly rodent damage, the underside of the hood has some fiberglass insulation that had also been chewed on. Crazy since we drive the car everyday. Wouldn't be the first car mice/squirrels damaged, they ate like half of the wiring harness of our pontiac vibe

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Haha that's a serious debate inside AI.

The two thoughts are:

1. Crimps can suck and allow corrosion. A properly soldered, heat shrunk connection is the only way.

2. Solder wicks up the wire and makes a rigid section between two flexible ends in a vibration heavy environment. The wire will break next to the joint at some point. A properly crimped connection that uses the crimps that are full of glue and have heat shrink exteriors are the only way.

A NASA manual on wiring will be cited.

My .02 is to do whatever you're more comfortable doing and have the tools to do correctly. Either one done right will beat the other way done poorly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

NomNomNom posted:

Thanks all. Ordered a kit with new pins and connectors. Is soldering the preferred method for extending the wires or butt crimp connectors?

It's almost certainly rodent damage, the underside of the hood has some fiberglass insulation that had also been chewed on. Crazy since we drive the car everyday. Wouldn't be the first car mice/squirrels damaged, they ate like half of the wiring harness of our pontiac vibe

Daughter's Jeep started throwing ABS lights, and it got drove every day. I test drove it around with a scan code reader, etc. trying to make sense of what was going on because she wasn't the greatest explainer of car problems.

Anyways, finally popped the hood. Engine bay was filled with leaves around the ABS unit. Started yanking leaves out and noticed movement. Turns out was the nest/home for a bunch of baby squirrels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Daughter's Jeep started throwing ABS lights, and it got drove every day. I test drove it around with a scan code reader, etc. trying to make sense of what was going on because she wasn't the greatest explainer of car problems.

Anyways, finally popped the hood. Engine bay was filled with leaves around the ABS unit. Started yanking leaves out and noticed movement. Turns out was the nest/home for a bunch of baby squirrels.

My boss had some baby squirrels delivered from the dealer where his Prius was being serviced back to his house via Uber one time a couple years ago.

Fuckin squirrels.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

I worked in a shop that did a lot of this thing. I recommend using butt crimp connectors, but squirt some silicone sealant in before you crimp. It will coat the connection with a water-tight seal, important when there's so much heat and humidity that goes through an engine bay. Finish it all off with some electrical tape and then wire loom to reduce the heat/friction that already broke your wire.

Good luck! It's always better to leave a little extra wire for later, rather than try to get it perfect.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

Haha that's a serious debate inside AI.

The two thoughts are:

1. Crimps can suck and allow corrosion. A properly soldered, heat shrunk connection is the only way.

2. Solder wicks up the wire and makes a rigid section between two flexible ends in a vibration heavy environment. The wire will break next to the joint at some point. A properly crimped connection that uses the crimps that are full of glue and have heat shrink exteriors are the only way.

A NASA manual on wiring will be cited.

My .02 is to do whatever you're more comfortable doing and have the tools to do correctly. Either one done right will beat the other way done poorly.

I'm on team butt splices despite having been good at soldering for 28 years now, but that last sentence is the most important one here, you are right. Do whichever you personally are better at. Sealant lined heatshrink is the important part either way, the regular desktop PC building kind with no sealant will hold water in better than it keeps it out.

Nocheez posted:

I worked in a shop that did a lot of this thing. I recommend using butt crimp connectors, but squirt some silicone sealant in before you crimp.

This is a good "it's all I have" method but don't do this, it's much easier and less likely to fail if you just use the right heatshrink sealant lined splices.

Oh, use a little acetone or IPA on a clean rag to wipe any oil and grease off the insulation before you do the deed, the heatshrink will stick a lot better that way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm also on team buttsplices. Ime soldered joints fail a lot faster in environments with high intensity vibrations. Motos, 4wds, things with simple diesels.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
2018 4Runner, I recently took about a 12 hr drive down south hitting lots of traffic and I started hearing what sounded to me like the classic scraping of a warped rotor. When I finally had a chance to look at it, I jacked it up, and there was no problem. upon further inspection the heat shield above the muffler came fully loose and was just riding on top of the driveshaft. So now theres a couple spots where it wore a ring through the paint or whatever coating. Probably dont want that exposed to the elements for very long, is there anything in particular that you guys would suggest to spray on?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

yamdankee posted:

2018 4Runner, I recently took about a 12 hr drive down south hitting lots of traffic and I started hearing what sounded to me like the classic scraping of a warped rotor. When I finally had a chance to look at it, I jacked it up, and there was no problem. upon further inspection the heat shield above the muffler came fully loose and was just riding on top of the driveshaft. So now there’s a couple spots where it wore a ring through the paint or whatever coating. Probably don’t want that exposed to the elements for very long, is there anything in particular that you guys would suggest to spray on?

If it were me probably whatever general purpose anti rust paint from the hardware store. I don't think you have to worry about throwing the balance of the shaft off or anything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's fairly non critical hardware, I would probably just put it back up. A lot of them are aluminum anyways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kastein posted:

It's fairly non critical hardware, I would probably just put it back up. A lot of them are aluminum anyways.

I assume OP was saying that the paint wore through on the driveshaft. If theyre just talking about the heat shield I agree with you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Having lived in the rust belt most of my life and never owned a car under 11 years old I forgot driveshafts even came with paint on them.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/d/woodstock-2001-honda-accord-ex-moonroof/7744246738.html
Does anyone know what this guy means by "Racer" engine?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Probably means it's a good candidate for an engine swap. 90-2000 Hondas were very easy to install higher spec engines from other Hondas of similar years. I'm guessing he's heard of this but doesn't really understand it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's a good website for new parts for old trucks?

Got a 1990 Dodge D150 and the seatbelts are pretty cruddy. Want some quality ones for my son.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
LMC Truck.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Freaking awesome. Thanks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you can't find what you want for that part on LMC Google seat belt repair and restore companies, there are a few good ones IIRC and they can color match your original webbing and repair all sorts of stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

If you can't find what you want for that part on LMC Google seat belt repair and restore companies, there are a few good ones IIRC and they can color match your original webbing and repair all sorts of stuff.

That's cool. I'm not so much worried about restoration as just safety.

It's my son's first vehicle and the current ones are pretty rough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly you should probably put him in a mid 90s or later car with crash safety things then. My newest vehicle is a 1988 domestic pickup so I'm in the same boat but there's nothing safe about these things. People think a big old truck is safe and it really is not. I will die or be seriously injured if I crash my 79 J10 at any significant speed.

A $1500 poo poo heap Prius or something is a great first car that gets good fuel economy and will be an order of magnitude safer for him if (when, most new drivers crash eventually) he wrecks it. It will also mean absolutely nothing to you and can be scrapped without a second thought. I'd keep the Dodge and rebuild it with him but let him do his learning and crashing in a safer, less cared for vehicle.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kastein posted:

LMC is awesome for American made trucks. National Parts Depot is almost as good too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kastein posted:

Honestly you should probably put him in a mid 90s or later car with crash safety things then. My newest vehicle is a 1988 domestic pickup so I'm in the same boat but there's nothing safe about these things. People think a big old truck is safe and it really is not. I will die or be seriously injured if I crash my 79 J10 at any significant speed.

A $1500 poo poo heap Prius or something is a great first car that gets good fuel economy and will be an order of magnitude safer for him if (when, most new drivers crash eventually) he wrecks it. It will also mean absolutely nothing to you and can be scrapped without a second thought. I'd keep the Dodge and rebuild it with him but let him do his learning and crashing in a safer, less cared for vehicle.

Welp, it's too late for that. Are there any upgrades I can install to increase safety? Other than new seatbelts?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just reiterate good defensive driving skills and no distractions.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

kastein posted:

A $1500 poo poo heap Prius
Where do I get one of these? I need a battery and motor for... something.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SpeedFreek posted:

Where do I get one of these? I need a battery and motor for... something.

A time machine to 2007

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

My boss had some baby squirrels delivered from the dealer where his Prius was being serviced back to his house via Uber one time a couple years ago.

Fuckin squirrels.

While I was out of town with the kids my wife saw a squirrel saunter into the engine compartment of our truck. In an attempt to scare it off from building it a nest in there, she immediately went out and turned on the truck. Immediately got a charging system warning and no power steering.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Time for tongs & the pressure washer!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It was very wedged in there. First attempt was stick, no way. Tongs nope. Rubber gloves was the move.

Actual appropriate content for the thread while Im here: belt seems fine so I should be able to just loosen the tensioner, toss it back on, and retension. When rotating the tensioner back, do I need to make sure its in a particular specific position (not too loose, not too tight) or does it somehow maintain correct tension as long as its roughly correct? 2022 ford 7.3 (Godzilla, not power stroke)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Iirc most serpentine tensioners are spring loaded

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Steve French posted:

It was very wedged in there. First attempt was stick, no way. Tongs nope. Rubber gloves was the move.

Actual appropriate content for the thread while Im here: belt seems fine so I should be able to just loosen the tensioner, toss it back on, and retension. When rotating the tensioner back, do I need to make sure its in a particular specific position (not too loose, not too tight) or does it somehow maintain correct tension as long as its roughly correct? 2022 ford 7.3 (Godzilla, not power stroke)

According to FSM, yep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Iirc most serpentine tensioners are spring loaded

I assumed this but that doesnt tell me what Im wondering, since I would think with a basic spring loaded system that tension would depend on spring compression which would depend on how far the tensioner is rotated?