Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry but I only recognize one Dilbert cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWuvkNWuS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splint Chesthair posted:

It is very on-brand for Ziggy to miss out on the whole comic-strip-to-beloved-animated-series pipeline of the 70s/80s.

Someone had a post about how newspaper comic strips mostly really didn't see the impending irrelevance of newspapers coming and had a lot of flop sweat Iicensing sprees about when barely anyone under 60 even knew they existed.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Marge. U. R . Breaking my. Heaaaaart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Dilbert theme song goes hard (written by Danny Elfman I think?): https://youtu.be/nJFXa-xLO8Y?si=Hp13ok4VP_YNSwu0

It perfectly encapsulates the idea of working in a corporate hellscape at a job where nothing of any worth one way or another is done and yet everyone there is still somehow dangerously incompetent.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Dilbert theme song goes hard (written by Danny Elfman I think?): https://youtu.be/nJFXa-xLO8Y?si=Hp13ok4VP_YNSwu0

Yeah, it’s just Elfman going back to one of his old favorites, Forbidden Zone, and rearranging it a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxOnbpWVELU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like sometimes even if you don't intend to create a complicated lore, you can end up with lore creeping up anyways just as the natural result of prodding your setting's limits and characters inevitably becoming more refined over the course of multiple stories. If you're playing around with more complicated emotions other than just simple gags, that leaves a lot of lore lying around like debris.

It's also easily possible for creators to change their minds over time and assemble a narrative out of previous random jokes. I've seen a lot of webcomics go down that route over time, and I think something about long-running online indie projects really encourages that sort of lorecreep. Older creators get a hankering to go off and make some kind of magnum opus but don't want to take the risk of jumping into a new piece of media and don't have an editor to constrain them.

See: More or less any half decent tabletop campaign.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

A.o.D. posted:

Maybe for the pilot, but the title sequence of AT always promised a deeper post apocalyptic lore from episode 1.

I'm sure the creators will be excited to receive their windfall of $75.32 (pre-tax) from Alphabet Corporation.

If TADC average episode cost the same as Murder Drones, which is 200,000.00 and that makes a fraction of the views TADC does, I'm sure they'll be quite fine money wise.

Especially with those number of views. Then you add merch sales.

Glitch is eating well.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 9, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, it’s just Elfman going back to one of his old favorites, Forbidden Zone, and rearranging it a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxOnbpWVELU

Danny Elfman wrote for Oingo Boingo?!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it's his band

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont mind mystery but i prefer it when its character baser or your given all the information through out the show but not screamed it, what happened with westworld season 2 is someone figured out the original twist or something so they changed it and it never worked well.

I'm happy that they were upfront with it all and respected their fans enough to honestly manage expectations.

Knowing it's just going to be about the characters will let me enjoy it a lot more.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Danny Elfman wrote for Oingo Boingo?!
Is this a joke?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I also had no idea that Danny Elfman had any involvement with Oingo Boingo until just now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anybody else? I promise we won't laugh

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

I have no idea who Danny Elfman is, and I only know of Oingo boingo as jojo characters or this one children's cartoon, does that count?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dilbert's legs are too looooong. I thought that fucker was 2-3 heads tall.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's a penis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

It perfectly encapsulates the idea of working in a corporate hellscape at a job where nothing of any worth one way or another is done and yet everyone there is still somehow dangerously incompetent.

That is pretty much the theme of the show too. IIRC, it actually involves the company producing a product... which was conceived of by name first and everything else about it was backfilled. (and of course, the end product somehow ends up apocalyptically dangerous)

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

YggiDee posted:

it's his band

His brother too iirc?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
maybe? I don't really know much about Oingo Boingo to be honest, except that Danny Elfman formed it, anything else would just be me regurgiting wikipedia pages.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I also had no idea that Danny Elfman had any involvement with Oingo Boingo until just now

My sum total knowledge of Oingo Boingo was Weird Science. Were they big in the US or something?*

Or is this one of those things only people who know the names of all the music tracks in Final Fantasy games actually know?

* This is like the time I found out 'once hit wonder' the Mighty Bosstones had like a dozen albums and were together for almost 30 years.

edit: almost 40 years.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 9, 2024

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or is this one of those things only people who know the names of all the music tracks in Final Fantasy games actually know?

it's okay you don't know things but you don't need to mock people who do

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My sum total knowledge of Oingo Boingo was Weird Science. Were they big in the US or something?*

* This is like the time I found out 'once hit wonder' the Mighty Bosstones had like a dozen albums and were together for almost 30 years.

edit: almost 40 years.

:jerkbag:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You're thinking of They Might Be Giants

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RandomReader posted:

I have no idea who Danny Elfman is, and I only know of Oingo boingo as jojo characters or this one children's cartoon, does that count?

Don’t you mean Zenyatta and Mondatta?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Little Girls

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/toonhive/status/1788644172934545698?s=46&t=p0xCySH7dsisY1wpx7g81Q

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does that mean no season 2?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mystes posted:

Is this a joke?

It absolutely isn't, these are two musical things I was aware of separately and it's genuinely surprising to learn they are connected.

mystes posted:

You're thinking of They Might Be Giants

Know these guys I know, I mean, I think I do? Unless one of them is also secretly Danny Elfman.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does that mean no season 2?
Look at the bright side; at least if it's on Netflix they aren't going to memory hole it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I saw a tweet from one of the showrunners saying to watch and rewatch it a few times if you felt anything at all about it so it's possible that enough engagement might result in some more show.

I frankly don't feel this is likely regardless of how much it is warranted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It absolutely isn't, these are two musical things I was aware of separately and it's genuinely surprising to learn they are connected.

Know these guys I know, I mean, I think I do? Unless one of them is also secretly Danny Elfman.

It kinda just seems like you might not know much about music?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

AzureFlame posted:

it's okay you don't know things but you don't need to mock people who do

Joking, not mocking.

I'm actually impressed by people with an ear for music like that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, I gotta say it: Velma season two is pretty good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Okay, I gotta say it: Velma season two is pretty good.

Wait, they actually improved? I’ve been hearing it was just more of the same poo poo so how so out of curiosity?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

Wait, they actually improved? I’ve been hearing it was just more of the same poo poo so how so out of curiosity?

I've read the spoilers and yeah it's more of the same.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
New season of Blood of Zeus is out on Netflix

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmc0tpOHBHA

Glitch did a little merch vid for it's new TADC stuff.

It might actually be better than the second TADC episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

It's just kind of fun IMO. The first season managed to strike a good tone in maybe two or three episodes, and I thought this capitalised on what was working there and just had fun with it. The show's not as keen to insist upon itself anymore -- those kinds of knowing monologues about trends in fiction (or whatever) only turn up in maybe two episodes -- and it's better for it. It's spending more time doing fun thriller plots and cracking jokes.

The show relies on Fred and Daphne to act as the series moral compasses, but it's still fundamentally the same sort of freewheeling amoral nonsense that it was in the first season. I found what they did with Scrappy Doo to be gloriously disrespectful, from casting to the way they animate the character, and Velma is still a totally despicable human being (this time more obviously signposted in the text, and deployed more purposefully). So if that annoys you then don't bother with the show.

It's still quite nicely animated too.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Last Call posted:

If TADC average episode cost the same as Murder Drones, which is 200,000.00 and that makes a fraction of the views TADC does, I'm sure they'll be quite fine money wise.

I kicked on the most recent episode of that the other day on a whim and that poo poo is inscrutable. It kind of had “high school fan fiction” vibe to it as best I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh and to echo recent sentiments on Royal Crackers, that is some good good stuff. Season 2 episode 5 is peak television. I’m not sure I’ve said “you stupid mother fuckers” out loud to myself more often and had more fun saying it.

To the goon here that had a buddy that worked on it, please call them a dumbfuck in a loving way and buy them a beer.