Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In just 7 months Israel has killed significantly more people than the Contras did during the entire, bloody Nicaraguan civil war or the ruling junta did during the Argentine dirty war. Both of those lasted around a decade. The rate of killing in Palestine is insanely high.

Or, for a more recent comparison, the Palestinian death-toll is similar to Ukrainian civilian deaths over 26 months of warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In just 7 months Israel has killed significantly more people than the Contras did during the entire, bloody Nicaraguan civil war or the ruling junta did during the Argentine dirty war. Both of those lasted around a decade. The rate of killing in Palestine is insanely high.

Or, for a more recent comparison, the Palestinian death-toll is similar to Ukrainian civilian deaths over 26 months of warfare.

What's the current count? The only numbers I e seen are months out of date

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Estimates range from twenty something thousand to well into thirty thousand. There isn't actually a huge discrepancy between Israeli claims and Palestinian health authorities. Even by the Israeli numbers it's an exceptionally deadly conflict for civilians.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 6, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Estimates range from twenty something thousand to well into thirty thousand. There isn't actually a huge discrepancy between Israeli claims and Palestinian health authorities. Even by the Israeli numbers it's an exceptionally deadly conflict for civilians.

That's the number I recall seeing, but I also seem to remember that's an out of date estimate, especially now that famine has set in.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/23/by-the-numbers-200-days-of-israels-war-on-gaza

quote:

According to the Gaza Ministry of Health, at least 34,183 people have been killed and 77,084 have been wounded in Israeli attacks.

About 72 percent of those killed are women and children, according to an update by Gaza’s Government Media Office on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, 7,000 people are missing, according to the Government Media Office, many presumed dead under the rubble.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

There isn't actually a huge discrepancy between Israeli claims and Palestinian health authorities.
So about that...

quote:

Gaza’s Palestinian health authorities say they can no longer count all their dead. Hospitals, emergency services and communications are barely functioning. Extracting bodies from the vast number of collapsed buildings is a gargantuan task and not a priority while the war continues.
Don't have access to the rest of the article, but just the first paragraph sounds pretty bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah the discrepancy is Palestine is no longer able to count because there's so many dead that they cannot even reach.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also Israel actively targeted and killed all the people who were doing the counting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Arguably that was one of the main motives for taking out the hospitals. You know, alongside the bonus of killing more people, and the general goal of depopulating Gaza.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think a good comparison is the war in Yemen, which from 2014 until now has had about 400,000 deaths, so something like 40,000 a year. It's particularly relevant because of the weaponization of food.

In Gaza the counted deaths are equivalent to ~58,000 a year

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Huh it seems like there are some allegations that the Israeli government has been funding Hamas.

https://www.politico.eu/article/isr...ry%20doctorate.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Grip it and rip it posted:

Huh it seems like there are some allegations that the Israeli government has been funding Hamas.

https://www.politico.eu/article/isr...ry%20doctorate.

That's been widely known for a while - that piece links to other reporting on it, including Netanyahu admitting it. The news story is that someone said it in an embarrassing forum, not that it's a novel allegation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes, in order to keep Palestinians divided and the PA weak Hamas was boosted. Fairly classic divide and conquer, though it does look especially bad.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Count Roland posted:

Yes, in order to keep Palestinians divided and the PA weak Hamas was boosted. Fairly classic divide and conquer, though it does look especially bad.

Yeah directly funding the organization that killed 1000+ of your citizens and kicked off this war is a bad look, to say the least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah directly funding the organization that killed 1000+ of your citizens and kicked off this war is a bad look, to say the least.

They learned it by watching their big brother.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New editions of 1984 should add a disclaimer that it’s not an instruction manual

Same for the famous sci-fi novel with the Torment Nexus

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

They learned it by watching their big brother.

Yeah the parallels with 9/11 are eerie, up to and including the whole world looking at the response completely aghast.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
As a side note, “bring them home” means different things in Israel and the US. In Israel, frequently a call from families of hostages and supporters for a deal or ceasefire to secure release of hostages.

In America, a call for enduring or unrestricted combat and strikes.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Somebody should probably explain that difference to their government

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh the government knows and doesn’t care. Israeli cops are regularly filmed and reported getting violent against Israeli “bring them home” protesters who are family members of hostages.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Israeli security minister taking the partial pause in arms shipments well:
https://x.com/itamarbengvir/status/1788458123436433783

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

In America, a call for enduring or unrestricted combat and strikes.

Are you talking about specifically in the context of the current Israeli/Palestine conflict, or generally? Because I distinctly remember it as an anti-war slogan during the height of the Iraq war from like 2005-2009.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Are you talking about specifically in the context of the current Israeli/Palestine conflict,

That’s the thread I’m posting in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

It’s really remarkable that a wealthy industrialized nation can’t reduce one poor fish in a barrel city to rubble without being given American bombs.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

what an infantile response. i’m coming around to the idea that israel’s ongoing behavior for months now is in part designed to cause biden reelection problems

tom friedman, of all people, had a good op/ed recently describing how pretty much everyone involved in the whole conflict is terrible in different ways

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

pmchem posted:

what an infantile response. i’m coming around to the idea that israel’s ongoing behavior for months now is in part designed to cause biden reelection problems

tom friedman, of all people, had a good op/ed recently describing how pretty much everyone involved in the whole conflict is terrible in different ways

You see they need western ammo because their own quality control is poo poo and it's been well known since the 80's that israeli ammo is hot wet garbage. Kind of like how their troops are also garbage at basic soldier tasks because they're not expecting, or trained to fight, anyone who can fight back. They'll murder the hell out of war correspondents and anyone else with a camera though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You need to send us precision weapons so that we don't hit a building full of children instead of our intended target (also a building full of children)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it takes incredible precision to level an entire city block of a refugee camp camp into uninhabitable rubble

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
No no you see, it's so they can be precise about which building full of innocent civilians they're targeting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The idea that Israel somehow needs 2,000 pound bombs to fight in an urban area is laughable on its face, and it would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic and insane.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's because bombs cost money. The american deal is the best deal they have.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
If you withhold bombs, they'll just mash Palestinians beneath their treads.

https://www.twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1787851313922887686

Huh, are Twitter embeds broken??

e: didn't auto-add the URL wrapper :thunk:

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 10, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Between your comment and the thumbnail I am just going to assume that is a pro-not-click

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Between your comment and the thumbnail I am just going to assume that is a pro-not-click

No people featured in the clip. It's symbolic rather than literal but it's a hell of a symbolic gesture.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

So…

https://x.com/barakravid/status/1788952088724062258

Best metaphor: “this is… you are shredding the UN charter with your own hands” *shreds the UN charter with his own hands* “yes, yes that is what you are doing shredding the UN charter, shame on you”

Edit: Can I just point out that there’s no target market for a tiny paper shredder that’s transparent acrylic? Tiny paper shredder is an op

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Cugel the Clever posted:

If you withhold bombs, they'll just mash Palestinians beneath their treads.

https://www.twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1787851313922887686

Huh, are Twitter embeds broken??

e: didn't auto-add the URL wrapper :thunk:

The level of pointless cruelty is almost impressive

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In the good news department, the pier the US DOD has been putting together to land aid directly into Gaza is almost ready. It's assembled but not properly installed on shore yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsZiR17sZU

Fair warning, the commentator makes the point that it would be much more efficient to land aid at a proper port and truck it into Gaza. Which it would be, if Israel was letting trucks full of aid into Gaza.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
IDF air force is gonna have a little whoopsy with a mistargeted missile just before that thing gets nailed down, I bet

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

IDF air force is gonna have a little whoopsy with a mistargeted missile just before that thing gets nailed down, I bet

It won't be mistargeted at all, they'll have some bullshit pretext that we won't even try to debunk.