Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's not her fault she's 1/4 Italian football player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wife weenie, so what

e: for real tho there's no loving way she's having kids if she can't handle basic goddamn cut cleaning

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My wife will loudly say ouch or similar to the mildest things, even to things that she admits don't hurt at all (she once did it when I bopped her lightly with a pillow).

As far as I can tell it was a learned habit to get attention from her mum. She's the oldest of three and after the youngest were born the easiest way to get attention was being hurt.

She's been through horrendous pains with endo and related. She endured pain and discomfort all day for years, but the most minor of bumps or cuts gets a dramatic, loud yelp.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

ReelBigLizard posted:

My wife will loudly say ouch or similar to the mildest things, even to things that she admits don't hurt at all (she once did it when I bopped her lightly with a pillow).

As far as I can tell it was a learned habit to get attention from her mum. She's the oldest of three and after the youngest were born the easiest way to get attention was being hurt.

She's been through horrendous pains with endo and related. She endured pain and discomfort all day for years, but the most minor of bumps or cuts gets a dramatic, loud yelp.

I do this. I think it’s due to the surprise of a sudden impact. Thing gets me, I say “OW!”, and only register whether it hurt or not afterwards. I am also an eldest (of two), but getting scrapes and bruises didn’t really get attention from my mum unless there was major blood so I don’t think that’s where it came from.

I do also say ow when random bits of my body just decide to suddenly hurt a lot, which is most days because this body is a total piece of poo poo with heaps of arthritis and fibromyalgia. People at work just ignore it now, because I do it like 20 times a day (as they should, if I need assistance I’ll ask).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Always fascinates me when someone who breaks up with someone else is accused of being controlling for it

Do they think "you are not a part of my life anymore" is an unreasonable degree of control for a person to exercise?

I remember a story from here where a bloke did something like that. Threaten to break up with his girlfriend. And she called it abuse. To which his response was:

"You know, you're right. That was abuse. I am an abuser. You really should not be going out with an abuser. So I guess, from now we are broken up."

Although I will add the caveat that constantly threatening to break up over trivial poo poo does actually count as abuse. But even in cases such as that, you are better off not being in a relationship with the abuser anyway.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Splicer posted:

It's not her fault she's 1/4 Italian football player.

Black and white heirloom photo of grandpa Tommaso :cry: on the grass, clutching his knee, and some other guy 3 metre away going :shrug:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hold on, Tough Guy left the baby and jogged ahead, and Jess left the baby and ran away in the other direction?

He was just following his fight-or-investigate instinct!

Nah. The OP ran away too, but he had terrible sound localisation and ran in the wrong direction. Now he's overcompensating by dunking on his fiancée.

Tarezax posted:

It sounds like Jess was pushing the baby with OP walking alongside, and OP jogged "a few steps forward" (so basically still within arm's reach) to investigate while Jess bolted in the opposite direction

How long are your arms dude lol?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shanghaied posted:

He was just following his fight-or-investigate instinct!

Nah. The OP ran away too, but he had terrible sound localisation and ran in the wrong direction. Now he's overcompensating by dunking on his fiancée.

How long are your arms dude lol?

Wow, what a way to imagine something that wasn't actually posted

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also I think it’s easy to gloss over but the wife going ‘ow’ and dramatic over the cut was later that night, hours after the actual cut itself, because she remembered it. No scene when it actually happened.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Sekenr posted:

Wow, what a way to imagine something that wasn't actually posted

He said he instinctively jogged ahead to investigate. Some of us just find it an implausible explanation.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cloacamazing! posted:

loving hell.

Has it crossed this guy's mind that people are individual beings, and that something that doesn't cause him pain could very well cause pain to his wife? That his personal subjective experience of the world is not actually the universal standard?

Truthfully if she's that dramatic it would be exhausting. Yeah, different people have different levels of tolerance, but dropping to your knees and crying because of a tiny cut is a vast overreaction unless you're two, and even most toddlers only do that because it gets them attention. People do have differing levels of vasovagal response to stimuli like getting a cut (like when people get faint at a finger stick), but having to fight your adult wife to clean a little cut is absurd.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It's possible that since they didn't clean the cut until she remembered it hours later that maybe it did get infected and hurt more.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Sounded to me like she was panicking because her idiot husband insisted that he had to put hydrogen peroxide on her finger against her will.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'm taking the story in good faith, at face value, and saying OP is way more patient than I am and wife should definitely look into getting help before ever considering childbirth at the very least.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
if i'm not using it on wounds why do i have a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've seen how someone gets like that. Years ago my nephew had a splinter in his foot and his father and I were in the middle of getting it out while my sister paced back and forth yelling "You're hurting him! He's going to lose his toe! He can't breathe!" which just led to a ten year old screaming and hyperventilating and almost vomiting over a minor wound.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 9, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Huh. My mom works in a hospital and she still insists hydrogen peroxide is fine for disinfecting cuts.
-Google 'why is hydrogen peroxide not for disinfecting'-

quote:

It can irritate your skin
oh gently caress OFF. Getting the cut to not be infected is more important.

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Ominous Jazz posted:

It gives a fizzy lift to cocktails!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ominous Jazz posted:

Perhaps you want to find out if blondes have more fun?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People still bleach their assholes, right?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

loving hell.

Has it crossed this guy's mind that people are individual beings, and that something that doesn't cause him pain could very well cause pain to his wife? That his personal subjective experience of the world is not actually the universal standard?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Sounded to me like she was panicking because her idiot husband insisted that he had to put hydrogen peroxide on her finger against her will.

lol

it's getting really bad in here lately

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Huh. My mom works in a hospital and she still insists hydrogen peroxide is fine for disinfecting cuts.
-Google 'why is hydrogen peroxide not for disinfecting'-

oh gently caress OFF. Getting the cut to not be infected is more important.

Hydrogen peroxide disinfects the cut but also makes the cut worse, which is why it's recommended to use disinfectants that don't kill healthy skin cells and slow blood vessel formation. If your choices are 'hydrogen peroxide' or 'nothing' then it's better than nothing if the wound is potentially dirty, but if you're buying a disinfectant then something that both disinfects and doesn't slow healing of the wound is better. And things like chlorhexidine are cheap and readily available at pharmacies, so having a disinfectant that doesn't make the wound worse is not a hard thing to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having grown up in the country I am completely baffled by the idea of considering a cut to be any more than a mild nuisance, not gonna lie.

Also, hydrogen peroxide? What's next, iodine? Do Americans not have papaw ointment or something? You apparently lean towards massive overkill for medicine as a rule.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Next time he should reach for the meat cleaver instead of hydrogen peroxide.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you gotta put baking soda in the wound first, then the hydrogen peroxide, then rinse with vinegar and cauterize

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Uh, why cant they just throw a plaster on, wait for it to balloon up, then show it to the retired doctor your parents know from church who'll tell you to wait it out and itll probably get better but maybe tell him if its still like that in a werk or two, like the rest of us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like I'm starting to worry I'm genuinely above average in self-first aid in being able to use a first aid kit without training by guessing, and knowing how to use additional band-aids to secure one on a fingertip.

This is like how people used to die because they didn't know how to wash themselves.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do Americans not have papaw ointment or something?
Why would you go out of your way to buy a first aid product that has zero scientific evidence to support its effectiveness?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They should soak the wound in ketchup to seal in that real tomato flavor.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hydrogen peroxide is forever associated in my mind with the fuckoff huge blisters I'd get on my palms from starting on the monkey bars after summer break. I do not miss that agony. My dad still uses it but I go for Bactine these days (and I can't do monkey bars anymore :( )

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mystes posted:

Why would you go out of your way to buy a first aid product that has zero scientific evidence to support its effectiveness?

It's apparently better than what some people use.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just pour cheap vodka from a plastic bottle into the wound like a real man you loving pussies.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Ominous Jazz posted:

Getting blood out of clothes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Verbal agreements with boomer parents aren't worth the paper they're not printed on. They absolutely experience pleasure from leaving their own kids hanging at the last moment.

Yeah I heard a story about a guy who had to work for his future father-in-law for seven years unpaid before he could marry his daughter and when it came time for the wedding and she pulled up her veil it was the wrong daughter! He ended up having to work another seven years unpaid to get the right one.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just pour cheap vodka from a plastic bottle into the wound like a real man you loving pussies.

I keep super glue in my bag. It's like that new-skin stuff but actually works

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Your go bag?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Hydrogen peroxide is awesome to gargle with, even if its not good for wounds. It's cheaper than Listerine, doesn't hurt, whitens your teeth, and the mechanical action of the bubbles is great at dislodging biofilms and stuff below your gum line.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

He said he instinctively jogged ahead to investigate. Some of us just find it an implausible explanation.

Yeah they both failed the gom jabbar test.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

sullat posted:

Yeah they both failed the gom jabbar test.
The baby, being incapable of independent thought at the infant stage, is automatically disqualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

More of a man-purse