Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

a pale ghost posted:

How should I kit the field battery pieces from the guard starter?

Conventional wisdom is to do the bombast field gun since the unit is just too fragile not to have indirect fire on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

wins32767 posted:

You're reversing cause and effect. There was a huge supply shock with a large stimulus and change in buying behavior en masse. There were mass shortages of things like toilet paper. That's a signal that producers should raise prices (and they did) and in aggregate supply and demand come back into balance. I think naive would be the right word to use about someone who thinks that raising prices doesn't impact demand.

More bootlicking that a slaaneshi cult

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

tbf looking at the price differentials between US and UK makes me wonder if there is hams smuggling, but I suspect the wholesale price of the kits is probably a lot nearer to what it is in the UK.

What you can do is find stores in the UK that sell on eBay that participate in the eBay global shipping program. I guess it is kind of like Amazon with 3rd party sellers, in that they take care of some of the logistics. Anyway, in that case it is eBay performing the transaction, and I have picked up a couple things that way for a really good deal. The problem is shipping is very expensive, and not all GW items have a clear dollar to pound ratio that makes sense. So some items are a better deal than others. When Liz Truss busted the pound I was ordering things and getting 45-50% off, even including the shipping, but now that the pound has recovered a bit the deals are a bit less, but sometimes I can snag something for 35-40% off, so that makes it worthwhile for me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What you can do is find stores in the UK that sell on eBay that participate in the eBay global shipping program. I guess it is kind of like Amazon with 3rd party sellers, in that they take care of some of the logistics. Anyway, in that case it is eBay performing the transaction, and I have picked up a couple things that way for a really good deal. The problem is shipping is very expensive, and not all GW items have a clear dollar to pound ratio that makes sense. So some items are a better deal than others. When Liz Truss busted the pound I was ordering things and getting 45-50% off, even including the shipping, but now that the pound has recovered a bit the deals are a bit less, but sometimes I can snag something for 35-40% off, so that makes it worthwhile for me.
Yes, I just did some street math with a Combat Patrol box. 160$US, 95 British pounds sterling :britain: -- but at the current exchange rate that's like $119. Now while capitalism is a bastard it is reasonable that, since they are apparently all being produced and packed in Nottingham, there would be some additional cost from the shipment from Blighty to these accursed shores. But I suspect that cost is significantly less than that.

I hadn't thought to check ebay, though. Good thought.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 9, 2024

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nessus posted:

tbf looking at the price differentials between US and UK makes me wonder if there is hams smuggling, but I suspect the wholesale price of the kits is probably a lot nearer to what it is in the UK.

I feel like there was more in the late 90s-early 2000s between third edition popping off and RTTs being crazy-popular, White Dwarf being the only way a large portion of the audience found out about poo poo (LOL, what is a listserve? Also #RIP Portent), and UK releases being a month ahead.

I can't remember what it was called, but there was a shop in Scotland(?) that I bought a buuuuuuunch of poo poo from just to have a month head start on painting. I distinctly remember buying a shitload of the (at the time) new Chaos poo poo like the 40k Daemon Prince and a Defiler (wow!).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm gonna take a brave stand here and say that GW is not a prime driver of UK inflation and is simply adjusting to existing market conditions.

Cease to Hope posted:

-1 AP like half the time is a good start. there are some units like one AP away from Good Actually, like venomcrawlers and... uh... venomcrawlers i guess.

but are they going to get adv+charge? because the list of units in CSM where i want to go fast and shoot gonne but not charge is short, and gets much shorter when you remember obliterators and good vehicles love 5+ crits and probably see some juice on whatever that iron warriors detachment they barely mentioned was.

this all changes if the chaos gods finally get sick of STD's poo poo and GW nerfs the crap out of pactbound zealots ofc. it is a lot of juice to sink into a detachment rule.

Assault Predator Destructors getting -3AP to infantry on points sounds fun. Assault Chaincannon Havocs might actually be worthwhile too. Reroll wounds with AP-2 chainsword Legos too!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm really struggling to put together a 1K Necrons tournament list with solid anti-tank that still has decent board presence. DDA is very expensive now, and I've only got 3 LHDs. I know one guy is bringing 2x Dorns, if I'm paired with something like that a single Doomstalker won't cut it.

Probably overthinking the whole thing. Haven't done a tournament in years.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Eej posted:

I'm gonna take a brave stand here and say that GW is not a prime driver of UK inflation and is simply adjusting to existing market conditions.
Just speaking for my own POV of course but when the last few GW price changes (UK) have been virtually identical to cost of living increases, I find it hard to get mad about this in comparison to the ridiculous recent changes in general living costs.

The entirely optional luxury product I buy has effectively remained the same price, while essentials like mortgage, energy, food, and fuel costs have all gone up by insane amounts in the last few years.

Like I'm not arguing that GW are 'good' here, but they're certainly on the 'less bad' side of the capitalism spectrum and for anybody who is getting riled up on social media about this there are many, much better targets to direct that energy at.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is the screamer killer a good anti-tank?

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Got some Scouts for my army recently and as I’d like to try playing Kill Team someday I thought I’d try magnetise them so I could use them for both games.

I figured out I only needed to magnetise 4 models. The only issue I ran into was being 4 shoulder pads short for the variant arms so I cut and sanded down some Intercessor ones which worked well enough and they’re pretty hard to tell apart.

2x 5 man squads for 40K

9 man squad for Kill Team

I even magnetised the Heavy Gunners head so he could face the right direction depending on which weapon he’s using.

Also the snap of the magnets joining together is ridiculously satisfying.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

It's okay. It's primary target is elite infantry and especially terminators, but a SK will take a chunk out of anything T10 Sv3+ or below like most transports. For larger T11+ 2+ save vehicles you really need abilities like +1 to wound & lethal hits, and even then don't expect more than about 6 damage.

However the main reason people bring SKs is for the extra battleshock test. That works both for shutting down defensive strats such as AOC, plus many other battleshock abilities in the codex like the Neurolictor's +1 to wound bonus. Getting the most from that will require the right supporting units in your list.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Devorum posted:

I'm really struggling to put together a 1K Necrons tournament list with solid anti-tank that still has decent board presence. DDA is very expensive now, and I've only got 3 LHDs. I know one guy is bringing 2x Dorns, if I'm paired with something like that a single Doomstalker won't cut it.

Probably overthinking the whole thing. Haven't done a tournament in years.

Best bet probably is the heavy destroyers, though i also wouldn't focus too much on trying to counter one person's list to the detriment of everything else. Just make sure there's enough cover, forget about their dumb tanks and just beat them on points.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I guess my best bet is

1) focus on map control

2) focus on secondaries

3) if people turn up with tanks, distract and stay out of line of sight as much as possible

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
After a couple of battles playing mech inf IG, it's become painfully obvious that free upgrades are in fact mandatory. Since I hate playing non-wysiwyg models, that meant building hunter-killer launchers for my Chimeras.

First, I had to convert support pylons for the launcher, since the old box launchers are too big to fit on the narrow turrets.

Since I built the pylons just a bit too long (had to reach around the hvy stubbers), and because the tubes looked a bit too plain on their own, I converted a simple targeting module for the missiles.

I'm pretty happy with the results, the four launchers I managed to dig out of my bits box are adequate for 1k games. I might scratch build two more boxes for my remaining Chimeras if/when my friends want to try larger games.

I still need to upgun my Armoured Sentinels before I'm done with this. Looking forward to GW removing hunter-killers a week after I finish with those. :)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Assault Predator Destructors getting -3AP to infantry on points sounds fun. Assault Chaincannon Havocs might actually be worthwhile too. Reroll wounds with AP-2 chainsword Legos too!

the pred D gets more useful with -2 against a broader range of targets, but it really, really likes 5+ crits since the heavy bolters are so much of its output.

chaincannon havocs don't get much better. they're just too fragile and there's basically no use-case where you want 40 bolter shots.

and legionaries really, really like their adv+charge.

Al-Saqr posted:

not really.

anything with T11+ combined with 2+ or 4++ and/or defensive abilities, like a leman russ or most greater demons/demon primarchs/the avatar, is gonna laugh him off. this includes everything towering/titanic, even the very stupid ones like an orkanaut.

an S-K does about 6.7W charging into T10 3+ or 5++ target like a predator, gladiator, sagitaur, armiger, war dog, etc. (it's a common-ish profile.) that's not nothing but it's also not an existential threat, especially if they have a little bit better save, damage reduction, FNP, or other stacked defensive tool. (a redemptor or the yncarne takes 3.3.)

he's actually pretty poo poo into elite infantry! he picks up 2.8 terminators on the charge, and does even worse into T6 or W4 or anything with an FNP.

this kind of generic dreadnaught unit kinda sucks atm unless it's super cheap, has a neat ability, or has a poo poo-hot attack profile. he doesn't get any of that, not even tank shock, so S-Ks are just shelf ornaments for the moment. maybe if he comes down like 25pts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

the pred D gets more useful with -2 against a broader range of targets, but it really, really likes 5+ crits since the heavy bolters are so much of its output.

chaincannon havocs don't get much better. they're just too fragile and there's basically no use-case where you want 40 bolter shots.

and legionaries really, really like their adv+charge.

not really.

anything with T11+ combined with 2+ or 4++ and/or defensive abilities, like a leman russ or most greater demons/demon primarchs/the avatar, is gonna laugh him off. this includes everything towering/titanic, even the very stupid ones like an orkanaut.

an S-K does about 6.7W charging into T10 3+ or 5++ target like a predator, gladiator, sagitaur, armiger, war dog, etc. (it's a common-ish profile.) that's not nothing but it's also not an existential threat, especially if they have a little bit better save, damage reduction, FNP, or other stacked defensive tool. (a redemptor or the yncarne takes 3.3.)

he's actually pretty poo poo into elite infantry! he picks up 2.8 terminators on the charge, and does even worse into T6 or W4 or anything with an FNP.

this kind of generic dreadnaught unit kinda sucks atm unless it's super cheap, has a neat ability, or has a poo poo-hot attack profile. he doesn't get any of that, not even tank shock, so S-Ks are just shelf ornaments for the moment. maybe if he comes down like 25pts.

The key issue is that i need to figure out some way to work with the list i have to negate the people who are planning to field the rogal dorns and silent kings, i dont necessarily need to kill the vehicles i just need to hold them off of deleting my units so i can win on points and secondaries.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The new CSM codex hype has got me thinking about traitor guard again. Ages ago I tinkered with putting together a Dark Commune unit led by Snidely Whiplash but never followed up with making anything significant afterwards. Is a cultist-heavy CSM list feasible, or is it better to just make an IG force where everyone is laughing maliciously?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have training for two weeks and need something to do while I listen to someone drone on about processing amended tax returns. I plan on finally getting around to building my Leviathan box set I bought last year. I'm torn on whether I should paint the Tyranids as Hive Fleet Ouroboris or Tiamet.

Space Marines are Salamanders 4 lyfe

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Tyranids are kind of lacking in the Anti-Tank department but Zoanthropes are a solid choice. The Tyrannofex has a swingy but powerful S18 anti tank gun too.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Ofaloaf posted:

The new CSM codex hype has got me thinking about traitor guard again. Ages ago I tinkered with putting together a Dark Commune unit led by Snidely Whiplash but never followed up with making anything significant afterwards. Is a cultist-heavy CSM list feasible, or is it better to just make an IG force where everyone is laughing maliciously?

Vehicle availability is pretty different between the codexes, depending on how much you care about those.

If you want to combine humans and a few posthumans, IG can take Legion of the Damned marines from the Agents of the Imperium Legends list (offer might not be valid forever).

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ofaloaf posted:

I think there was a guy who placed 3rd in a tournament with a Darktide style 120 cultist list, so depends on what you mean by feasible :v:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Ofaloaf posted:

Wait til Saturday imo.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

It's probably a pipe dream but I really hope that cultist detachment allows for guard vehicles ala brood brothers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Add Chaos Cultist detachment to the guard codex :getin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chaos cultists are a lot less subtle when it comes to infiltration.

"Why are these requisition forms filled out in blood?"

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I've been preparing notes to help myself in games, and today's tactical tortoise video on movements raises a question. Does a unit's movement characteristic limit everything it can do that counts as a normal move in all cases, and if so is there a specific page that says so? I believe it should, but for example in the app the [scouts x] page makes no mention so I could see a player expecting Zodgrod to let their Gretchin unit scout 9" outside of a Trukk despite their M being 6".

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

A Scouts move is unrelated to the unit's movement characteristic.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

No it's related because a scout move is a normal move.

quote:

When a unit makes a Normal move, each model in that unit can move a distance in inches less than or equal to its Move (M) characteristic, but no model can be moved within Engagement Range of any enemy models.

quote:

scout move: before the first turn begins, it can make a Normal move of up to x

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Right, the move it based on the Scout ability not the movement characteristic so it can be more or less than the unit will move the rest of the game.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Ok cool, so as I understand it, Zodgrod's Gretchin on foot can scout up to 6" because they are M6 but if they start in a Trukk, it can roll up 9"

I use this example because it's the only instance of scout in the ork codex 😢

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Ok cool, so as I understand it, Zodgrod's Gretchin on foot can scout up to 6" because they are M6 but if they start in a Trukk, it can roll up 9"

Yes

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I use this example because it's the only instance of scout in the ork codex 😢

No, if they're in a Trukk, the Trukk can make a Scouts move of 6".

EDIT: The Gretchin with Zodgrod can always make a Scouts move of 9" if they're in the Trukk, the Trukk gets to make that move.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 9, 2024

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Zodgrod gives them Scouts 9 which is why I was looking for the clarification, and explains why they would have a scouts value greater than their movement

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I didn't realize that it worked like that but it makes sense, learn new things about this game every day.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Here y'all go

Looks kinda fun.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Here y'all go

Looks kinda fun.

Edited the URL so the poo poo is readable.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Looks like Soulgrinders are in the codex?

Not really feeling it for Iron Warriors, hopefully the other one is a better match thematically!

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 9, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Six inches is way too short, I can barely clear the ruins foot print.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also amused that because of primaris and simplifying stats Sisters of Battle would pretty much be female space marines if they got 1 more point of toughness and an extra wound.

edit: ok fine I guess having a better close combat weapon does reflect space marines being 1 point stronger.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I've built up my current Smurfs army for a little over a year, and I'm finally in the market to snag a tank of some kind. My vehicles right now are 2 dreadnoughts, but I feel like a tank would add some extra variety to my army. My main problem is choosing from the gazillion different tanks GW offers.

What's a nice balanced intro tank with a decent mount of kick to it?