Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Going over your boss' head is a "break glass in emergency' thing. Misused, it's a career-limiting move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are they new to working (recent grad or whatever) or just new to your workplace? Very different answers depending on which.

New to my team, but not new to the organisation or workplace. He's older than me (I'm in my early 40's) so I'm a bit baffled as to his attitude in this regard.

mllaneza posted:

Going over your boss' head is a "break glass in emergency' thing. Misused, it's a career-limiting move.

Especially since I've previously had a conversation with him specifically about reporting lines and how if you approach another branch manager about issues in their branch it comes across as undermining your own managers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cacafuego posted:

I would routinely screw with the molecular biology course grade curve by just guessing and scoring higher than anyone else. The teacher was old school enough that he would post the grades at his office and it was the only time I could say I’d see my name above the brown nosing, pre-med question askers.

What the hell, masturbatory story no one but me cares about time.

9th grade Biology, mid-1990s. Teacher was one of a kind: a short, fat, ugly, chain smoking, caustic, foul mouthed Brooklynite who taught Biology for a paycheck but whose obsession in life was horse racing. He couldn't stand me, and I don't blame him; I was disdainful of authority and also didn't give a poo poo about biology, or any other kind of science (totally unrelated story, my annual income today is a small fraction of yours probably).

Anyway, one of his quirks was that on every test, in addition to your name you'd write a secret code word. He'd grade the tests same-day and by the end of the day/first thing following morning, post lists for all his classes of everyone's grades, listed highest to lowest, identified by the code words so you could remain anonymous. Written out by hand, meaning he hand-copied everyone's code word.

Being the insufferable rear end in a top hat I was and not giving a poo poo if everyone knew how bad my Biology grades were, I adopted a gimmick of making my code word a nonsensical takeoff on geocities site addresses, like http://www.totallynoteric.com/biology/test8/irrelevant/anothermemorizedlistyay. Now all year long, he actually copied the whole drat thing, test after test.

The last big test of the year was, of course, The Frog Test, with 50 dissected frogs spread over the lab, each with a pin stuck in a body part which you had to write down the name of on your test as you walked around. You had to pass this test to pass the class, regardless of your other grades (not that mine were any good anyway). I scored a 70, which happened to be the lowest possible D; 68 would have been an F.

When the test scores were posted the next morning, I and the rest of the school saw that he had made a slight alteration to my usual bullshit: my 70 was listed beside something like http://www.almostboughtthefarm.com/whocares/futuremethaddict/lazy/snooze/snore.

I hated that class like I hated school in general, but I have to admit he was awesome.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bee posted:

New to my team, but not new to the organisation or workplace. He's older than me (I'm in my early 40's) so I'm a bit baffled as to his attitude in this regard.

Oh wow, that's someone who is greatly overestimating their own importance and value to the company.

I suppose if you're going to have delusions, they might as well be satisfying ones.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

bee posted:

Especially since I've previously had a conversation with him specifically about reporting lines and how if you approach another branch manager about issues in their branch it comes across as undermining your own managers.

Sounds like formal warning time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that is someone who is one more incident away from a PIP.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

I scored a 70, which happened to be the lowest possible D; 68 would have been an F.
This is one of the fun things with growing up in Ireland. A 70 is the max it is worth getting unless you need to push your average up somewhere else, and that will always be First Class Honours. The friend I mentioned above graded on that scale and since all his students were terrible they all got under 40% and he failed them.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Everyone does, they're in the HR/Payroll systems. Beyond that, I want to know how dysfunctional an organization has to be for the lack of a face picture on github or zoom or whatever makes you unrecognizable or not accountable or anonymous. What a strange thing to say.

As yes, I love cross referencing between HR/Payroll systems and slack. Everyone knows that something being available in an annoying and hard to find place is the exact same thing as it being available right in front of you.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A coworker had someone send an email at 7:30pm on Friday and a “just following up on this” note with god and country cc’d at 8:45am on Monday.

To me that’s worthy of a lifelong grudge.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
SEIU got their contract, so no janitorial strike. Woohoo.

On the other hand, it gave me a nice behind the curtain at a few of my coworkers. I told them we might have to do some surface disinfections ourselves to keep the lab open while they're on strike (nothing like actual mopping, just alcohol wipes / spray bottles, etc, on heavily-used surfaces). Most people were just fine, but a few were outright offended to conceivably have to clean something. One stomped her foot at me (literally) and told me it was "degrading" to even consider having to clean the lab with a master's degree, even after I pointed out that I wasn't asking just her to clean, but everyone including myself and the department head.

Some people legitimately think they're better than the janitors, I guess. :shrug:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hmm next time my husband bugs me about the dishes I am going to try that tactic and remind him that I have a masters and he needs to show due esteem.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

they're dumb and doing it for the wrong reasons, but employees refusing to become scabs helps the union in negotiations

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Democratic Pirate posted:

A coworker had someone send an email at 7:30pm on Friday and a “just following up on this” note with god and country cc’d at 8:45am on Monday.

Blood fued. To the tenth generation.

remigious posted:

Hmm next time my husband bugs me about the dishes I am going to try that tactic and remind him that I have a masters and he needs to show due esteem.
I tried this but my wife threw her Ph.D. back in my face.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Some people legitimately think they're better than the janitors, I guess. :shrug:

gently caress 'em, this is America. There's no "the help", there's just us. Anyone who acts otherwise is displaying Plantation Mentality and is on the short list for a date with Madame Guillotine.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Even seeing those timestamps happening to someone else would have me looking out for that person's bullshit going forward. Instant distrust.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

I tried this but my wife threw her Ph.D. back in my face.

Even though I think I'm done with doing real work and getting kinda old, I kinda want to crank out a PHD, mostly just to make my family call me doctor. Especially the ones who are just bullshit rear end meat mechanics.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

bee posted:

Hey bee, are you perchance a ~LaDy~?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baddog posted:

Even though I think I'm done with doing real work and getting kinda old, I kinda want to crank out a PHD, mostly just to make my family call me doctor. Especially the ones who are just bullshit rear end meat mechanics.
Highly recommend it TBH. I saw my extended family for the first time since before the pandemic last weekend and they were chuffed as gently caress about my wife getting her fancy hat.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Hutla posted:

Hey bee, are you perchance a ~LaDy~?

Yes, and interestingly enough the manager that my employee tried to go over me to is as well.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Arquinsiel posted:

Highly recommend it TBH. I saw my extended family for the first time since before the pandemic last weekend and they were chuffed as gently caress about my wife getting her fancy hat.

Go get a PhD in Spain; they have the fanciest hat.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Oh yeah it was all NANDs but it was like "draw out how to solve this big truth table" and you could either do actual Boolean algebra or you could just take every row with a 1 and draw a shitload of NANDs to solve for it and then OR them all

perfectly valid, no thought required, and probably so annoying that the examiner gives up trying to read it and gives you the marks

it sounds like the instructor wanted exactly the answer you gave, and they would have been proud that you did so!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bee posted:

Yes, and interestingly enough the manager that my employee tried to go over me to is as well.

The-Wire-Wee-Bey-Realization.gif

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bee posted:

Best way to deal with a direct report who doesn't like being told no, and tries to go around/above me to get a yes (around/above are also telling him no)? My manager is letting me know he's doing this and is telling me to be patient as he's new but it's really starting to poo poo me.

"No, as per company policy."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bee posted:

Best way to deal with a direct report who doesn't like being told no, and tries to go around/above me to get a yes (around/above are also telling him no)? My manager is letting me know he's doing this and is telling me to be patient as he's new but it's really starting to poo poo me.

I had exactly this happen, we didn't give someone a job title upgrade because they weren't turning out good enough work and they almost immediately sent an email to my manager demanding that it be reconsidered and that they be put on track for a main title promotion in like 2 years or something which was even more ridiculous (4+ minimum). They actually copied me on it as well, lol.

The fact that your manager has told you/is aware should mean that they have your back on this like mine did but keep that conversation going. Is it just work stuff ("I don't want to do X") or like mine "I demand that you give me X".

On mine, my manager set up a meeting and very politely smacked them down by going through the criteria and how they needed to work at it themselves. He and I came out agreed that they were actually one level higher than they should be already but that was something that was forced in us by HR.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sundae posted:

One stomped her foot at me (literally) and told me it was "degrading" to even consider having to clean the lab with a master's degree

Tell her literally every STEM person in many/most European countries have a masters because that is the default lmao.

Inept posted:

they're dumb and doing it for the wrong reasons, but employees refusing to become scabs helps the union in negotiations

I 100% agree with this though. By telling management you'll do the job yourselves you're just telling them that you don't need the cleaning union. If their work was important then you should stop your work to show management how much the strike is costing them to get them to give in to demands.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 9, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The fact that your manager has told you/is aware should mean that they have your back on this like mine did but keep that conversation going. Is it just work stuff ("I don't want to do X") or like mine "I demand that you give me X".

I know my manager has my back, so that's all well and good. And quietly next week I'm interviewing for a role in another team with the same pay and no direct reports, so hopefully soon this guy will be someone else's problem.

It's like yours. He wants me to approve things that make sense to him but not to the broader team. In his mind he's "leading the technical uplift of the team" but in reality he's just popping up in other people's lanes telling them how he thinks they should be doing their jobs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That poo poo needs to stop yesterday or he needs to be summarily shitcanned. You as his boss are the person who needs to communicate this to him.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah they need to be told to stay in their own lane. If they want to do whatever then it would need to go to you and then down to the other team/people to get their agreement. That is clearly not going to happen at this time of they've pissed everyone off.

I'd suggest getting ahead of that with your manager for the inevitable tantrum.

I say all this but appreciate it's not necessarily an easy conversation.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bee is non-US public sector, so I expect the just fire him isn't that easy. Probably not impossible, but a shitload of work.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My leader has a bad habit of going right to my reports. They all handle it extremely well, nothing is being hidden, but it makes them mega uncomfortable. Especially because 99% of the time it's something my boss and I have already discussed, and I've even discussed that discussion with my reports so we all know what the priorities are and why. So they end up feeling like my boss is trying to trick them into something?

It's all very shady and for absolutely no reason. I legitimately think my boss doesn't understand the implications. As far as I can tell they forget something and just start asking the physically closest human until they find an answer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

in a well actually posted:

bee is non-US public sector, so I expect the just fire him isn't that easy. Probably not impossible, but a shitload of work.

I didn't mean to suggest it was (even in the US it usually isn't quick or simple to fire someone unless they're doing something criminal) but the PIP or Australian government equivalent has got to be initiated and tightly followed toward either swift, vast improvement or termination.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
speaking of bad skips going directly around managers:

I'm on parental leave for my second kiddo. Sent a picture to a co-worker (fellow new dad) that he could post to the team's slack channel to announce on my behalf. He then asks if it's okay to share my personal number with my team lead, assuming they want to congratulate me now, rather than when I open Slack in 6 weeks.

Next thing I know, I'm being called twice, and a text message from my skip level saying: "Hope you're doing well, can you fill out the employee survey?" I ignore it, because lol gently caress that. It wasn't even a "hope the family is doing well, congrats", it was just a simple greeting. My team lead & manager text me with congratulations, I respond to them, and then go back to changing diapers and managing the toddler after daycare.

Later that evening, my skip sends a simple "?" text. Folks, I'm now furious but also anxious. Did I miss something before I logged off? Is this really that important? I've barely spoken to this guy since he got the position in February and he has 50+ reports. -- Turns out, no, this survey came out after I went on leave.

I respond to him with a "As you are aware, I am on leave until X date. I will resume all job duties, please direct any questions to <team lead> and <manager>.

He says it isn't work (?!) and it would be appreciated, but okay if I don't do it. My manager and team lead also then text me to relay the same request on his behalf.

I'm going to spend the rest of my 4 weeks looking for a new job, or at least an internal transfer.

And I might do the survey and tank the results.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
need to clearly define the lane they need to stay in, that they need to ask you for permission before straying out of it (you can frame this as wanting them to focus etc), and then tell them if they do not do this that it will be a more serious problem

edit agreed that this is PIP/equivalent time but unless you've had the above conversation first it's going to be hard to put them on a formal process

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

My leader has a bad habit of going right to my reports. They all handle it extremely well, nothing is being hidden, but it makes them mega uncomfortable. Especially because 99% of the time it's something my boss and I have already discussed, and I've even discussed that discussion with my reports so we all know what the priorities are and why. So they end up feeling like my boss is trying to trick them into something?

It's all very shady and for absolutely no reason. I legitimately think my boss doesn't understand the implications. As far as I can tell they forget something and just start asking the physically closest human until they find an answer.

Your boss is a micromanager. If there is no reason for them to not trust you and your abilities that's just the kind of person they are and there is no cure for it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I really hate being nagged about employee surveys. I fill them out but I also make sure to complain to my manager about them and tell him that nothing I put in there is going to happen so they're basically useless

I seriously have no idea why companies even bother

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really hate being nagged about employee surveys. I fill them out but I also make sure to complain to my manager about them and tell him that nothing I put in there is going to happen so they're basically useless

I seriously have no idea why companies even bother

You don't have to do your job if you have data.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nybble posted:

He says it isn't work (?!)

"That's interesting. My lawyer has a different opinion of that as per FMLA."

No seriously, that's just executives being who they are. If you're minded to jump ship then by all means jump ship, it'll probably be a positive change, but there will just be more executives wherever you go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nybble posted:

speaking of bad skips going directly around managers:

I'm on parental leave for my second kiddo. Sent a picture to a co-worker (fellow new dad) that he could post to the team's slack channel to announce on my behalf. He then asks if it's okay to share my personal number with my team lead, assuming they want to congratulate me now, rather than when I open Slack in 6 weeks.

Next thing I know, I'm being called twice, and a text message from my skip level saying: "Hope you're doing well, can you fill out the employee survey?" I ignore it, because lol gently caress that. It wasn't even a "hope the family is doing well, congrats", it was just a simple greeting. My team lead & manager text me with congratulations, I respond to them, and then go back to changing diapers and managing the toddler after daycare.

Later that evening, my skip sends a simple "?" text. Folks, I'm now furious but also anxious. Did I miss something before I logged off? Is this really that important? I've barely spoken to this guy since he got the position in February and he has 50+ reports. -- Turns out, no, this survey came out after I went on leave.

I respond to him with a "As you are aware, I am on leave until X date. I will resume all job duties, please direct any questions to <team lead> and <manager>.

He says it isn't work (?!) and it would be appreciated, but okay if I don't do it. My manager and team lead also then text me to relay the same request on his behalf.

I'm going to spend the rest of my 4 weeks looking for a new job, or at least an internal transfer.

And I might do the survey and tank the results.

Yikes your team lead also overstepped in passing around your phone number as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress your skip level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Murder everyone involved