Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In news:

quote:

Alibaba Group Holding is carrying out a major revamp of the webpage of its flagship e-commerce platform Taobao ahead of China’s second-largest online shopping festival, as the internet retail giant bets on an improved shopping experience to regain business momentum.

The overhaul, which includes the launch of new features and changes in existing functions, will be the “biggest update in seven years” of Taobao’s web version, according to a press release on Monday by Taobao and Tmall Group, Alibaba’s domestic e-commerce unit.

The group says it aims to improve the experiences of both consumers and merchants by simplifying the website’s layout and providing a smoother search and buying process. Alibaba is the owner of the South China Morning Post.

The upgrade forms part of Alibaba’s efforts since earlier this year to attract new users and regain its top position in China’s e-commerce sector, as the Hangzhou-based company grapples with rising market competition and a difficult business restructuring that has seen two initial public offering plans scrapped.

While Taobao already runs a popular app, Alibaba data shows that the web version of the platform draws a unique group of visitors. Nearly 40 per cent of daily visits to the website are made by younger users, such as university students, white-collar workers, designers and programmers, the company said.

Under the website’s initial revamp, Taobao has extended the time users can maintain their login status and begun displaying discounted prices in the shopping cart. It also relaunched an online forum in Taobao called Taojianghu, which existed in the early days of Taobao.

Taobao said it will continue to explore the “unique advantage of large screens” in the next stage of the overhaul, allowing the web and app versions to complement each other to optimise user experiences.

Taobao’s revamp also comes ahead of the 618 shopping festival, China’s biggest annual sales event after Singles’ Day in November. Happening in the weeks leading to June 18, the event sees major e-commerce players from Alibaba to JD.com competing for shoppers with steep discounts, cash subsidies and colourful marketing campaigns.

This year’s event is closely watched by market analysts as a barometer of consumer sentiment in China, where the economy has been facing a host of post-pandemic challenges, including lacklustre domestic demand and a prolonged property slump.

In a separate move, Taobao and Tmall announced on Monday they will no longer run a presales event, which in past years allowed consumers to make a deposit on goods they wanted to buy to guarantee a low price during the actual sales period. Instead, this year’s event will include two sales period, beginning at 8pm on May 20 and 31, respectively.

Alibaba’s major rival JD.com, which initiated the 618 festival in 2010, also cancelled its presales this year, according to multiple Chinese media reports.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/...pens-focus-user

The foreign-facing sites Aliexpress and Lazada have already seen revamps, of course

There seems to a coalescing industry-wide paradigm shift away from app engagement KPIs and back to real sales KPIs as the quantitative indicator, which suggests that the players no longer think that domestic or emerging-market mindshare growth (where mobile is the primary interface) is the main focus. Anyway, it's hard to compete with short video services for app engagement, no matter how many minigames you pack into your ecommerce app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I always wait too long to get on these drat sales, oh well. Hopefully those in the article pop up for global customers as well.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

ronya posted:

In news:

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/...pens-focus-user

The foreign-facing sites Aliexpress and Lazada have already seen revamps, of course

There seems to a coalescing industry-wide paradigm shift away from app engagement KPIs and back to real sales KPIs as the quantitative indicator, which suggests that the players no longer think that domestic or emerging-market mindshare growth (where mobile is the primary interface) is the main focus. Anyway, it's hard to compete with short video services for app engagement, no matter how many minigames you pack into your ecommerce app.

Didn't know Ali owned taobao, makes sense

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been ordering a bunch of odds and ends lately; idk if it's the sort of thing people care to see reactions on.

I did order a knockoff lego set. I wanted to see how the quality felt, since I've got kids coming up who will be of age for that in a bit. Figured I'd do a test run. I ordered this guy for :10bux: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805977450348.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.21e61802adaOI4&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

So far it has basically been indistinguishable from real lego. I'm not done yet, so I'm not sure if they managed to get every single piece in the box, but overall it's quite impressive. Much closer in quality to real lego than many other ali products are to what you might get from Amazon. The only hitch is that they didn't put them in ordered bags like official lego, so you spend a lot more time searching for pieces.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

It would be nice if Aliexpress could invest like half a day into fixing their website randomly changing my location, currency, and language. I don't live in loving 3 Notch Alabama.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for me it somewhat randomly switches between english, german and dutch, even though i have it set to english

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

sleepy gary posted:

It would be nice if Aliexpress could invest like half a day into fixing their website randomly changing my location, currency, and language. I don't live in loving 3 Notch Alabama.

The algorithm is trying to suggest places you might like.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got arabic a few times. New York ip.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'm impressed with the knockoff Lego sets.

I get them for my kid. Works fine with real Lego and the kits have all been complete so far. Far cheaper. Even picked up a working v8 engine set for myself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can anyone drop a Lego set or two a six year old girl would appreciate? Keywords; pink, princess, pretty, etc.

Ideally not lego friends stuff

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the fukken Sakura tree

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

the fukken Sakura tree

already have the real one

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
peacock
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/exotic-peacock-31157
Unicorn
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/magical-unicorn-31140
Puppies
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/adorable-dogs-31137
lots of flowers.

I'm to lazy to look for them on aliexpress though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

well hell that was my only answer.

if I was a little girl I would want uhhhh maybe like....a cat

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL4aQqi

or maybe a kirov

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0ZoD5U

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

thanks gang !!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Payment hiccuped right at the end and all the deals dropped off. Forced me to cart refresh and my total was magically $30 higher than moments before. 😒

Guess I’ll be waiting for the whatever sales later this month.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just searched "pink princess lego" and got tons of castle and fairytale things.

I just buy tons of cars and trains lego for my son though. Lego train tracks with the freaking train crossing portion.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lego train tracks with the freaking train crossing portion.
hell yeah :krad:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I did order a knockoff lego set.

(LOZ mini bonsai accompanying a lego bonsai.)
Yeah, I recently ordered and got a couple as well. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005214776428.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.4.12f41802LxnUUq)
And those were surprisingly nice, but a fair warning is that some sets/manufacturers have bricks that are smaller than standard lego. The ones in those kits were 75-80% the size of normal lego.
Bought the bonsai and the succulents. The designs are really nice, a few pieces needed a bit more force to snap together, and some steps were a bit more fiddly than I'd expect with lego.Overall pretty happy with them.
The only real complaints I have is that you pick from most of the bags at most steps, instead of 1-2 at a time like you'd do with lego.

This brand is LOZ (mini), not sure if the mini refers to the smaller size of the pieces, or just that the kits are smaller <1000 brick pieces.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Weird, that bonsai has tiny flowers. Where are all the pink frogs?

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I've had my AliE mini NUC pc for a month now. No real issues. Using it as a mediaPC.
I got mine without any storage or memory and got those locally. And got a win11 license from classifields. This store seems good as I've bought from them before.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005864472598.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.47.cd351802rR3FJN

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I don't "get" lego succulents. Why not just succulents? Aren't they extremely easy to keep alive? Water once a month or something?

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Also, top tip, use https://sdi-tool.org/ to sort out the drivers once you install whatever windows you need on it. If you use Linux then you are ready to roll :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I don't "get" lego succulents. Why not just succulents? Aren't they extremely easy to keep alive? Water once a month or something?

When your friends come over and their 2 year old beheads your Lego succulent, you can just put it back together again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

Weird, that bonsai has tiny flowers. Where are all the pink frogs?

Ugh yeah, that reminds me that I should see if I can order some pink flowers to replace the plague of frogs there.

Kinda wish there was 1 tiny pink frog in the kit to poke fun at that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I have that little tree, got it for my wife, she ended up not digging putting them together, so I stayed up one night and did it while she was in the hospital. She didn’t much care, and shortly thereafter it got wrecked. Some of the connections for major components just weren’t too tight. Especially for the tiny sets I’ve started to think about supergluing when I run into those spots.

Nobody is gonna re-use those (as opposed to my son, who so thoroughly dismantled the first stages of a star destroyer that the pieces are basically lost and I have 4/5ths of it sitting on a shelf with nothing to do with it). He does not have a single Lego set still in its original format. Makes me twitch a bit, but whatever.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I have that little tree, got it for my wife, she ended up not digging putting them together, so I stayed up one night and did it while she was in the hospital. She didn’t much care, and shortly thereafter it got wrecked. Some of the connections for major components just weren’t too tight. Especially for the tiny sets I’ve started to think about supergluing when I run into those spots.

Nobody is gonna re-use those (as opposed to my son, who so thoroughly dismantled the first stages of a star destroyer that the pieces are basically lost and I have 4/5ths of it sitting on a shelf with nothing to do with it). He does not have a single Lego set still in its original format. Makes me twitch a bit, but whatever.

Mine does this, but all the pieces are still there, just sitting in a huge storage box. We have all the instructions too, but assembling anything would be a Sysiphean nightmare.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Some of the connections for major components just weren’t too tight. Especially for the tiny sets I’ve started to think about supergluing when I run into those spots.

LMFAO they made a whole movie about this man

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

He enjoys building the stuff usually, and had been begging for that set, so I was hoping he would at least build it through and get some satisfaction and pride out of it, but hey.

We may have reached saturation point with legos, may have overdone it a bit, can’t recall having very many as a kid. But enough about my neuroses, let’s buy more cheap stuff!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

for any of these kinds of lego sets, the fun is more in seeing how they used lego to make a real looking thing and less the end product in most cases. for me, anyway.

i built the mini plants sets and it's pretty cool how creative the design team gets when making a little pitcher plant or something

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

for any of these kinds of lego sets, the fun is more in seeing how they used lego to make a real looking thing and less the end product in most cases. for me, anyway.
Absolutely. I was gifted the original flower bouquet and the newer wildflowers kits, and it's neat to spot old familiar pieces used in entirely novel ways. The instructions often point them out, too, like Beetle hoods repurposed as petals or what have you. And the finished product looks good anywhere in a grown-up house.

We have so many built and half-built models and storage boxes of bricks in the basement (and all the instructions, thank God). Now that my kiddo is going off to college, my dream is to find all the pieces to complete each set, then take them apart and store the bricks in freezer bags or something. It's so daunting a task that I doubt I'll ever get to it. I'll just buy more Ali tat for myself, I guess! :dumb:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I see people reselling the complete sets with instructions for a bit, but also lots of people selling bulk legos by the pound or whatever too, so you’re not alone on that one.

I think I’d have to find endless mundane piece sorting to be soothing or something to actually go through with that sort of project, but I know for sure pieces are already lost (like, big pieces).

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think tackle boxes would be the best way to sort it? Tackle boxes and plastic drawers. Become one of those insane people with a lego room, and then find a site which lets you put in the sets you have, and gives you back different sets you can create based on the parts you've got.

edit: https://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=707

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 9, 2024

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

My son has hardware drawer/cabinet things. But he could care less about keeping it organized at this point (he’s only 7 though, maybe that sort of neurotic behavior appears later, haha). He just sits amidst piles/containers and thinks up stuff and digs for what he wants or something close. He’s probably way better on imagination there than me.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

My wife and her family all like lego but what they do is actually build what's on the box or the variations in the manual. They then either keep it assembled or put the parts back into the box. For me, that's not very interesting, never was. When I used to play with lego I would just empty the contents into a big box or sort them into small parts and big parts to be used in things I wanted to make.

Do most people make what's on the box? Was it always that way?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tarkus posted:

Do most people make what's on the box? Was it always that way?

There's 2 kinds of lego kid.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarkus posted:

When I used to play with lego I would just empty the contents into a big box or sort them into small parts and big parts to be used in things I wanted to make.
:hai: same

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I would build what's on the box, maybe the variations, then build whatever I could think of. All the loose LEGO stayed in a big denim drawstring bag. Used to be able to think up stuff like that... 40 years ago. It was an incredible thing when LEGO Technic came out, then the Expert Builder stuff.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I built what was on the box and played with the finished sets. Until a few years ago, those models (mostly the OG medieval castle stuff, plus some town models) were still on shelves in my parents' basement, until my dad did what I haven't yet and broke them all down for better storage. Of course, my folks are retired and have plenty of time on their hands. My kiddo certainly built a lot of sets right off the box, yet somehow we have a veritable ton of loose bricks. (I can confirm that a tackle box is great for keeping more unique pieces sorted, but there comes a time you just, yeah, put everything in a big drawstring laundry bag or one of those big flat storage boxes that go under the bed. Or both. And then some. Oh, God, help me I'm drowning in Lego)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like I didn’t have a ton (where it would’ve been a pile of parts to build from). But I also really can’t remember. I was a build-and-keep type anyway (obviously).
I’ve definitely been trying to make up for lost time before finally slowing myself down a bit now. Might’ve overdone it…
The other cool Lego thing I found (Temu, I think) was a like a blanket that dumps into a bucket. So kids play on the blanket, it has an elastic pull line around the edge (I think) and it connects to a bucket, so at the end you pick up the blanket and dump the legos into the bucket. I think we got a Lego vacuum on Amazon or something too. Not brilliant but makes it so they get picked up sometimes

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 9, 2024