Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Alizee posted:

Is there any situation where Toronto actually gets a good coach

sure

Alizee posted:

win in the playoffs

hahahaha no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The system works!*

*system may work years later than expected or hoped

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Let's not forget there's still a Quenneville Redemption Tour to be had.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's not forget there's still a Babcock Redemption Tour to be had.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
A new coach deserves a try in the playoffs with the exact same Leafs core next season imo

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

A new coach deserves a try in the playoffs with the exact same Leafs core next season imo

Given they all have NMC’s and the only teams with that much space (ie Utah) are places they probably wouldn’t waive for… I think the new guy will get that chance.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Alizee posted:

Is there any situation where Toronto actually gets a good coach that will help them win in the playoffs?

No

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I do think the Leafs would be better off hiring someone like Dean Evason. He has good player management, has a system that I think would benefit the existing squad, and is decent at getting a team to over achieve.

So he’d lose in the second round of the playoffs instead.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's not forget there's still a Quenneville Redemption Tour to be had.

Toronto to abandon playoff beards, mandate playoff mustaches

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Has a coach ever gotten fired after 3 100+ point seasons?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jhet posted:

I do think the Leafs would be better off hiring someone like Dean Evason. He has good player management, has a system that I think would benefit the existing squad, and is decent at getting a team to over achieve.

So he’d lose in the second round of the playoffs instead.

Evason is probably the best of the available options, but if I were the Leafs the first thing I'd have done (before firing Keefe) was call Pittsburgh and see if arrangements could be made to bring in Sullivan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Powershift posted:

Has a coach ever gotten fired after 3 100+ point seasons?

Dan Bylsma was fired after what if not for the lockout would have been five straight 100+ point seasons. Fitting since he was the closest thing in recent history to Keefe.

Speaking of which, apparently the Kraken have not yet officially hired Bylsma as their HC, I assume they're just waiting for the AHL playoffs to finish?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 9, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Washington fired their coach after winning the cup.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Just saving this so I can find it next year

https://x.com/mrgrozz/status/1788574206147317903

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/sheldonkeefe/status/1788600739310309623?s=46

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Washington fired their coach after winning the cup.

Beat me to it. This move was when I realized Ted Leonsis was just another rear end in a top hat awful Billionaire owner like all the others.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Pure class. I like Sheldon and wish him the best but it was time to move.

Please not Craig Berube what the gently caress

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Leafs could absolutely get a big bump from Gallant next year with the sameish roster but beyond that you're fuckin screwed

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
What's Babcock up to these days?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

hosed up of the Leafs to maroon him in the middle of the ocean

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Not that I expect he'll need the help, but that goodbye video is also a pretty good marketing move to pitch himself to the teams looking for a HC.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

hosed up of the Leafs to maroon him in the middle of the ocean

It's ok, they gave him a gun with one bullet

Habibi posted:

Not that I expect he'll need the help, but that goodbye video is also a pretty good marketing move to pitch himself to the teams looking for a HC.

I've said it before but Keefe is a world class schmoozer and no doubt gives a knockout interview. He wouldn't have kept his job for 6 years one year repeated 6 times otherwise.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1788627899534160207

Hell yeah I hope he gets the job.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol if Jersey hires Keefe the Rangers will own the Metro for the next 5 years. They might anyway but that would cinch it for sure

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Congrats to the Leafs. Now they can just run back the same roster and not make any changes. Gotta see what the new coach can do with them after all!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I do kinda believe that it’s possible for Keefe to reflect and change his tendencies in a way that he never would have staying with the Leafs. I won’t be surprised if he pops up coaching a team that doesn’t overcommit low in the d zone, that breaks out using the width of the ice with control and looks to exploit seams and behind the net plays to score, ie the opposite of everything he coached this team to do.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've said it before but Keefe is a world class schmoozer and no doubt gives a knockout interview. He wouldn't have kept his job for 6 years one year repeated 6 times otherwise.

He was the absolute perfect coach for a place like Toronto, just a suit full of platitudes and decorum who always missed his end of year targets, never changed and had no plan and no answers

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Reading about Travis Green in an athletic article and it’s scary how much his coaching style sounds like “DJ Smith if he ran hard training camps and was kind of an rear end in a top hat.”

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1788579034055512332?t=NLF1Fo5HbiQ_0mfNj6tEbQ&s=19

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Reading about Travis Green in an athletic article and it’s scary how much his coaching style sounds like “DJ Smith if he ran hard training camps and was kind of an rear end in a top hat.”

I hope you enjoy watching your team give up multiple odd man rushes every game while simultaneously being really bad at scoring. Ottawa's got good goaltending, right?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Nedeljkovic got added to team USA, pretty nice considering it was the formerly the Alex Lyon show

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I'm happy for him, Ned owns :buddy:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao a good ol’ Vaughan boy right there

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DildenAnders posted:

Come on, Mike Keenan...

(Does anyone know why he was eager to leave the Stanley Cup winning Rangers in 1994?)
IIRC NYR management hosed up the paperwork on his contract extension and he took big bucks in St.Louis as A Proven Winner.

Edit:
https://nypost.com/2021/12/30/mike-keenan-rangers-exit-was-heartbreaking/

quote:

Just one month after lifting the Cup, Keenan announced in a news conference that he was no longer the Rangers’ coach, claiming the team breached its contract with him.

The team announced shortly after in a statement that the accused breach was a minor one-day delay in the payment of a bonus, a claim Keenan later refuted. Keenan’s relationship with general manager Neil Smith had reportedly broken down late in the season, and Keenan later accused Smith of attempting to drive him away from the team in a series of moves beforehand.

Bonus quote from when I was reading his wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Keenan

quote:

In one instance while the Blues were playing the Buffalo Sabres at The Aud, Dale Hawerchuk's dying grandmother, who lived in nearby Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada, came to see him play one last time while she was alive. Keenan deliberately benched Hawerchuk for the game, and an unhappy captain Brett Hull screamed at Keenan, who then responded by stripping Hull's captaincy.
Man, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2024

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Athletic mock has the Devils taking Konsta Helenius at #10 which would I think would be a pretty great pick (amazing underlyings in the Liiga, good production, made the men's WC team), so I'll get my hopes up until they deal the pick for an old goalie

They've got Cole Eiserman going at #13 which is pretty interesting for a guy scoring at his pace, but even the advanced stuff has him as extremely one dimensional in a way we haven't seen from another top prospect like that in a while.

quote:

5. Montreal Canadiens: Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat Tigers
With Kaiden Guhle already established and Lane Hutson, David Reinbacher and Logan Mailloux coming, plus several other young D who could factor into the depth chart in Montreal, the Habs are in a unique position in that in a draft highlighted by its half-dozen top D prospects, they shouldn’t feel the need to target one and can instead look at the impact forwards. If the Blue Jackets don’t take Lindstrom, he’s a natural priority for the Habs as desired size down the middle and the second top-six center they so desperately need behind (or maybe someday in front of) Nick Suzuki.

https://twitter.com/DavidSt_Louis/status/1788648235172520082

They've got Utah going with Zeev Buium and his nutty NCAA production. Honestly the top like 12-15 of this draft looks super strong

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iggy Jr to Calgary is the biggest lock possible, right?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

quote:

9. Calgary Flames: Tij Iginla, C/LW, Kelowna Rockets
If the No. 1-8 picks play out the way I have them here, or if those above eight players are all gone, this is where I think the draft will start to open up and become less predictable because the Flames have used their last four first-round picks on forwards going all the way back to Juuso Valimaki in 2017 and could use one of the top D (the acquisition of Hunter Brzustewicz helped add to a pool that was thin on D, as did taking Etienne Morin with their second-rounder a year ago, but they could still use a true stud). The best D available is Yakemchuk. He has played in their backyard all year with the Hitmen, who are jointly owned by the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation. And while we’ve seen ownership connections play out before (Dallas owner Tom Gaglardi also owns the Kamloops Blazers and the Stars have drafted two of their players in recent years, for example), I do wonder if it may also work against Yakemchuk, whose warts they will also know. Sometimes overexposure isn’t a good thing.

Iginla to the Flames makes a lot of sense, and doesn’t feel like a nepotism pick either. Many believe he’s going to go in this range and he fits with the type of players the Flames have drafted. Plus, they don’t have to worry about whether he’ll want to stay, which, whether they’d admit it or not, does feel like it still looms over the Flames after the departures of Matthew Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau and company. Iginla would give them some scoring punch and top-of-the-lineup upside. Matt Coronato, Connor Zary and Samuel Honzek are all very good players; I’ve always been higher on those first two than most. But they’re missing a game-breaker and if things break right, Iginla could be that in a way some aren’t convinced Konsta Helenius can be. Certainly, Cole Eiserman and Berkly Catton also have that quality, but it’s close enough that I think Iginla wins out.

quote:

12. Philadelphia Flyers: Berkly Catton, C, Spokane Chiefs
A year after Matvei Michkov fell to them and they pounced, the Flyers do the same with Catton and add Matvei’s potential future linemate. Catton’s skating and skill could really function off of Michkov’s smart, tactical attacking. This feels like a no-brainer if Catton’s available, especially after losing Gauthier. They need to draft and develop a top-six center of the future and if Catton or Helenius are still there, and I think there’s a good chance one is, they should be all over it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I feel very old to see Iginla's son making it into the league.

I mean Jarome was just in the league a few years ago right
basically last season

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Yeah tell me about it.

I'll be surprised if Tij is still around at 9 the way his stock has risen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

T-Bone posted:

The Athletic mock has the Devils taking Konsta Helenius at #10 which would I think would be a pretty great pick (amazing underlyings in the Liiga, good production, made the men's WC team), so I'll get my hopes up until they deal the pick for an old goalie

They've got Cole Eiserman going at #13 which is pretty interesting for a guy scoring at his pace, but even the advanced stuff has him as extremely one dimensional in a way we haven't seen from another top prospect like that in a while.

https://twitter.com/DavidSt_Louis/status/1788648235172520082

They've got Utah going with Zeev Buium and his nutty NCAA production. Honestly the top like 12-15 of this draft looks super strong

Jackets:

quote:

Anton Silayev, LHD, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod

I took Medicine Hat center Cayden Lindstrom for the Blue Jackets in our staff mock, and I do still think the appeal of a one-two punch of Adam Fantilli and Lindstrom, with their similar makeups and their ideal size and skating, is and will be a strong consideration for them. But the more I’ve asked around in the last couple of days and the more I’ve thought about it, the more Silayev has come into focus. There’s the obvious connection to their many Russians within the organization, but he also just fits as a left-handed foil to a righty in David Jiricek, and the idea of their back end of the future built around the size, skating and defensive upside of Silayev; the boldness of Jiricek; and the capabilities of Denton Mateychuk is extremely appealing in its own right.

I'm torn. They definitely have more in the cookie jar up front with Fantilli, Johnson, Sillinger, Brindley, and the Russians (Chinakhov-Voronkov-Marchenko), but it never hurts to grab top-end centers.

As Wheeler mentioned, a top four of Jiricek, Mateychuk, Werenski, and a bitchin', high-end defenseman could be hard to pass up.

I'd say give me the defenseman as of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I'm that kid Calgary is the last place I want to be. The expectations and scrutiny would be awful.