Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

Rock doves, which are probably the only doves you're ever going to see, nest on flat spaces. Perhaps their nest was on a nearby ledge or something.

This morning I watched a crow chase a couple other crows away by repeatedly dive-bombing them. If I knew more about birds, I might be able to offer a better explanation for both of these incidents.
Nah, these ones go dahdooot doot, not coo coo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

B33rChiller posted:

Nah, these ones go dahdooot doot, not coo coo.

The most annoying of dove species. They also go Fneeeaahhh when they land.
I don't remember seeing mourning doves much out here. I'm guessing they aren't as common like they are back east.

alnilam

cruft posted:

Rock doves, which are probably the only doves you're ever going to see,

The mourning dove is one of the most widespread birds in north america

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

The mourning dove is one of the most widespread birds in north america

You just can't get away from the little bastards.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

xcheopis

My boss took me out for lunch, one last time before she leaves us, and we went to Barney's (https://www.barneyshamburgers.com/).
They make the best god drat milkshakes and onion rings! I told my boss that literally the only cold coffee drink I would have would be their Mocha or Turkish Coffee shake, which convinced her to try the Mocha and now she's addicted. I went with the cinnamon shake (again) but I think next time it'll have to be blackberry. Love a good blackberry ice cream!

Now I'm way too full, still have food left over, and I need a nap. oof.

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Finger Prince posted:

The most annoying of dove species. They also go Fneeeaahhh when they land.
I don't remember seeing mourning doves much out here. I'm guessing they aren't as common like they are back east.

i'll take these guys over the common wood pigeon every day

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Finger Prince

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i'll take these guys over the common wood pigeon every day

I won't hear a bad word spoken about the humble wood pigeon.

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

Humble? I've heard they're pretty cocky.

Finger Prince

xcheopis posted:

Humble? I've heard they're pretty cocky.

Never! They are gentle denizens of the wood.

cruft

Deep in the hundred-pigeon wood
Where Christopher Robin plays
You'll find the enchanted neighborhood
Of Christopher's childhood days

Goons Are Gifts

So Hawks are the bankers of the birb world??

Finger Prince

Goons Are Gifts posted:

No, crows are the debt collectors and hawks are the deadbeats who borrowed money to bet at the dog track.

Finger Prince

Pelicans are the bankers, I think. Let me check my Sibleys guide.

Goons Are Gifts

Wait are we talking about pelicans or the pelicans from Scarface? These are two different species and I think genera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8nCNLylEM

Escape From Noise

Goons Are Gifts posted:

They're the SoftBank of the baseball world.
teams.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

No, crows are the debt collectors and hawks are the deadbeats who borrowed money to bet at the dog track.

Depending on the size of the dog it's not the worst bet.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Finger Prince posted:

sorry but I have to speak my mind

collared dove: poise and grace. elegance

wood pigeon:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

B33rChiller

This time of year marks the annual return of the LOUDEST GODDAMN BIRDS SUDDENLY OVERHEAD in the few, fleeting moments between lawn mowers droning.
https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/community/cf-snowbirds-arrive-in-comox-for-annual-spring-training-announce-schedule-7351638
Thankfully there is only ever 9 of them in the flock.

There is a small civil aviation runway not far from where I live, so I'm used to seeing small single engine planes, like Cessnas, etc, idling in low over my backyard, as they approach for a landing, but it's a hell of a surprise to suddenly have a bunch of jets flying tight packed, doing a banked turn perpendicular to the usual glide path, at the same low altitude where I can clearly make out the emblems painted on, just suddenly show up, only hearing them as they appear peaking over the big trees!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

xcheopis

Dying a little inside every month, when this nice lady emails to let me know she "putted" data into the proper folder for me to process.

xcheopis

B33rChiller posted:

This time of year marks the annual return of the LOUDEST GODDAMN BIRDS SUDDENLY OVERHEAD in the few, fleeting moments between lawn mowers droning.
https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/community/cf-snowbirds-arrive-in-comox-for-annual-spring-training-announce-schedule-7351638
Thankfully there is only ever 9 of them in the flock.

There is a small civil aviation runway not far from where I live, so I'm used to seeing small single engine planes, like Cessnas, etc, idling in low over my backyard, as they approach for a landing, but it's a hell of a surprise to suddenly have a bunch of jets flying tight packed, doing a banked turn perpendicular to the usual glide path, at the same low altitude where I can clearly make out the emblems painted on, just suddenly show up, only hearing them as they appear peaking over the big trees!

I watched some crows having an aerial squabble last evening. Started with two, then a third popped up, then suddenly there were five. All yelling about... uh, housing prices? I dunno. There are lots of those trees about, so I've no idea why this one tree was the object of so much ire. And then they all just left to perch on overhead wires because.. bird reasons?

cruft

xcheopis posted:

I watched some crows having an aerial squabble last evening. Started with two, then a third popped up, then suddenly there were five. All yelling about... uh, housing prices?

Sounds plausible to me

Gaylor Moon

Gender? I hardly know'er
Do you guys think it's inappropriate to have a crush on your best friends? Obviously never acting on it; and respecting their boundaries as a person and a friend. I JUST DUNNO if I should feel bad for not being able to "suppress" these feelings or getting rid of them lol

cruft

Gaylor Moon posted:

Do you guys think it's inappropriate to have a crush on your best friends? Obviously never acting on it; and respecting their boundaries as a person and a friend. I JUST DUNNO if I should feel bad for not being able to "suppress" these feelings or getting rid of them lol

Inappropriate? Naw.

Unfortunate? Most likely.

I had a crush on a friend all through high school. Then we went to college, and I didn't see her again until I moved to Seattle and she invited me to a naked mud wrestling party she was hosting, when I finally got to see her naked (and she me). But by then I had moved on.

cruft

I moved to Seattle as part of a self-created program to deal with social anxiety. Before the move I was afraid to even call out to order pizza. Then I move out and one week later I'm naked and covered with mud in a toy swimming pool in some stranger's back yard.

So... that worked out okay.

xcheopis

cruft posted:

I moved to Seattle as part of a self-created program to deal with social anxiety. Before the move I was afraid to even call out to order pizza. Then I move out and one week later I'm naked and covered with mud in a toy swimming pool in some stranger's back yard.

Another successful BYOB project!

xcheopis

The eyes of the Little Owl chicks are starting to open!

Manifisto

Just wanted to wish a pleasant day to everyone! Lotta bird talk in here recently . . .

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

Chirp.

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

Just wanted to wish a pleasant day to everyone! Lotta bird talk in here recently . . .

I'm spending a lot of time watching owl cams, seal cams, and Weddell seal videos.
There are a lot of crows, hawks, ravens, and owls 'round my neck o' the woods, too, and they are getting quite noisy.

xcheopis

CRAWk

xcheopis

And in between that post and this, one of the chick's eyes is now fully opened and it can see its momma in all her glorious splendor!
hee hee she's so little and round!

more falafel please

forums poster

once again doing Big Queer Weirdo Camping Trip in the hills what are older than the concept of bones in a few weeks and i'm finally starting to plan some of the Gay poo poo i'm gonna do

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

B33rChiller posted:

This time of year marks the annual return of the LOUDEST GODDAMN BIRDS SUDDENLY OVERHEAD

I know of a louder bird, probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvK-DujvpSY posted:

A bird found in the Amazon has shattered the record for the loudest call, reaching the same volume as a pneumatic drill. The white bellbird, which lives in the mountains of the north-eastern Amazon, was recorded at 125 decibels (dB), three times louder than the next bird in the pecking order, the screaming piha

xcheopis

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

"the screaming piha" will be the name of my Beatnigs cover band

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

xcheopis posted:

Dying a little inside every month, when this nice lady emails to let me know she "putted" data into the proper folder for me to process.
I wonder if you could use autocorrect on reading emails. That'd be a cool email feature.

Gaylor Moon posted:

I ended up having a thing with someone I'd hung out with for half my life, situations changed and we ended up back to friends. Creeping on them is obviously not cool*, but friendship is already a large part of actual relationships and I think it's weirder to just try to build a friendship with a partner. Sure can't say what anyone should do with that, but I'll happily say you shouldn't feel bad for the feelings.

*E: not implying you are, just pointing a difference.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

more falafel please posted:

once again doing Big Queer Weirdo Camping Trip in the hills what are older than the concept of bones in a few weeks and i'm finally starting to plan some of the Gay poo poo i'm gonna do

I've never heard of this, but it's gotta be more fun than Big Straight Normy Camping Trips. Pretty sure those would be klan weekends.

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

The old "Fuckit, jump with both feet!" approach, eh?

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I was referring to the air force demonstration team, which flies by their own rules, and can show up reeaaally close overhead, and a bunch of them packed together nearly close enough to shake hands. Not idling, either. Big acceleration roar x9.

Grumble grumble.
Cool to see stunt formation aerobatics though.

But those birds seem interesting too. Going to see if merlin has audio.

LoL bird app has 1.7 gb dlc bird pack for just Brazil.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 10, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

B33rChiller posted:

I was referring to the air force demonstration team, which flies by their own rules, and can show up reeaaally close overhead, and a bunch of them packed together nearly close enough to shake hands. Not idling, either. Big acceleration roar x9.

Grumble grumble.
Cool to see stunt formation aerobatics though.

But those birds seem interesting too. Going to see if merlin has audio.

LoL bird app has 1.7 gb dlc bird pack for just Brazil.

'm super happy I don't live where planes do anything much. As a kid I knew a farm a few miles away and the dude would let me check out his plane. really it wasn't a farm but a cut out section with a couple buildings which was storage and his hangar for a solo prop. He did casual poo poo with it and then also would fly over and take aerial shots and ask people if they wanted an overview photo. Chill kinda side hustle that probably didn't even pay for his fuel, but dude had a plane and liked flying around, so little bit of trying to cut cost.

I deal with trains a lot now, but trains are kinda a pain in the rear end and my brain doesn't register them most of the time.

Anyways, welcome to round two of BCOM. After finishing someone posted to get in and I happen to also have another really fun xcom game so I got things running again. You're probably not healing a lot this round. You did a shitload of healing and protection stuff on xcom2, you were the first to hit the highest rank we did, might be highest in game, but now you're an assault class, you did kill a lot of aliens as a healer and it'll be funny if you get more kills as a healer than as dps. haha.

Cheers BYOB you're all awesome and post things that make me sure that, if I had to keep laughing to not hit a destroy the world button, we'd all be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

Oh cool, thanks for the update. I had a fun half a round of Carcassonne with my girl after dinner the other night. She's getting old enough to learn most of the rules and some strategy too.
That's a good game to ease into playing with kids. You can start by just matching the sides of tiles and working on taking turns. They can do whatever with their meeples, then start adding rules as they get older and better able to follow along. We're scoring cities and roads now, practicing counting with the board, and doing simple addition. Teaching how to take over a city or road, without stomping her, just pointing out options and helping her see what might be better placement. It's neat to see the gears turning, plans coming together.

Dr. Honked posted: