Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I keep seeing this new use of the term "drip." What does it mean when used like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManiacClown posted:

I keep seeing this new use of the term "drip." What does it mean when used like this?

Being fashionable with your clothing and general style. Usually in an extravagant way. Something sensible and practical that looks good would be less likely to be considered to have "Drip" than like Dr Doom with his cape and hood and grandiose statements.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ManiacClown posted:

Clothes. Style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's being fashionable but also, like, flashy or extravagant about it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dr. Doom has drip. Reed Richards does not :doom:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I looked up what Richards wore to the first Hellfire Gala, and it looks nice, but yeah, no drip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

style. dripping with it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking of

She-Hulk #7 (2022)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of

She-Hulk #7 (2022)

This is not Doctor Doom, this is a Doombot.

Thus proving that even pale imitations of Doctor Doom are far more stylish than that shabby démodé, Richards.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

This is not Doctor Doom, this is a Doombot.

Thus proving that even pale imitations of Doctor Doom are far more stylish than that shabby démodé, Richards.

Fool! On the very next page the pictured genius declares himself to be Doom!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Doom in front of you is always Doom until proven otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

goatface posted:

The Doom in front of you is always Doom until proven otherwise.

The point at which it is proven otherwise is when it is defeated or destroyed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A favourite Beyoncé line of mine is (talking about herself) "Masterpiece, genius, drip: intravenous"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So this would have been yesterday's page from Conan: The Blood Egg part 2 by John Allison. Pretty good fight scene for an artist who doesn't draw a lot of fight scenes.

Unfortunately Allison got hit with a C&D letter from Conan Properties International a few weeks ago and had to take the comic down, even though as far as Allison could tell Conan is in the public domain in the UK. I only have these pages from when they were up on his Patreon as a pdf when he first released the comic. This also means we won't see the final third issue Allison was working on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The point at which it is proven otherwise is when it is defeated or destroyed.

Or Doom walks in.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

The_Other posted:

So this would have been yesterday's page from Conan: The Blood Egg part 2 by John Allison. Pretty good fight scene for an artist who doesn't draw a lot of fight scenes.

Unfortunately Allison got hit with a C&D letter from Conan Properties International a few weeks ago and had to take the comic down, even though as far as Allison could tell Conan is in the public domain in the UK. I only have these pages from when they were up on his Patreon as a pdf when he first released the comic. This also means we won't see the final third issue Allison was working on.

There are two possible explanations for this.

One is that the internet counts as an international publication, so he has to deal with the super-crazy American Copyright.

The other is that the C&D is actually completely illegal, but the company was counting on nobody calling them on it.

Both are equally likely.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
UK copyright law is mostly speculative until a judge issues a decision (and you've run out of appeals/money). I understand this is the case in many countries.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Elfface posted:

One is that the internet counts as an international publication, so he has to deal with the super-crazy American Copyright.

The other is that the C&D is actually completely illegal, but the company was counting on nobody calling them on it.

Both are equally likely.

It's been speculated that, legally, Allison was in the clear it just that CPI's lawyers are bigger than Allison's lawyers and Allison didn't want to fight it anyway.

Allison also did a Batman webcomic and an X-man webcomic, which have also been taken down but Allison never mentioned getting any C&D from Marvel or DC. I'm guessing Allison got away with those two because they were both short, 22-page comics so by the time the companies noticed he had already finished and posted them, as well the fact that Disney and Time-Warner are both big enough that they felt it might not be worth legal action. Allison probably was contacted by Marvel and/or DC, but more gently than a legal order, since those are comic companies were CPI just holds and limerences the trademark to Conan. They probably told Allison something to the effect of, " Hey, nice comics, but could you please take them down after a while".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elfface posted:

I looked up where the States was at now and in addition to death+70 (not a problem for Robert Howard), it's also the shorter of creation of the work +120 or publication + 95. Which I think means, since "The Phoenix On The Sword" was published in December 1932, Allison only needs to sit on the comic until 2027?

E: I'm not a big Allison fan but I was enjoying the Conan comic and I actually really liked his one about Kitty Pryde and Wolverine

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 9, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

Both are equally likely.

As I understand it, a lot of C&Ds are just really strong bluffs because hey are you gonna try to go to war with a company that has way more money than you? Better to cut your losses and move on than risk losing a ton of money...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Conan Doyle estate was constantly pulling this poo poo with Sherlock Holmes trying to force anyone who did anything with the character to pay them even if they weren't actually adapting any stories that were still in copyright.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, they tried to sue the Enola Holmes people claiming Sherlock is only nice in stories still under copyright, so him not being a dick to his kid sister was a violation.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Brought up Storm is basically the 'Goddess of Knives' in the MCU thread

So now you get to enjoy the Storm Vs Callisto fight!

Uncanny X-Men (1963) - Issue 170

Which leads to this amazing opening pages in Issue 171

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's only every once in a while that a single page manages to hit you with that "Wow, she really does look like a stripper!" energy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Infinitum posted:

Brought up Storm is basically the 'Goddess of Knives' in the MCU thread

I'm re-watching X-Men TAS and was very amused when this sequence was replaced with a lightsaber battle. And then later on Xavier and Shadow King had a lightsaber battle. Lots of Star Wars stuff in there!

Also liked the Brood being renamed the Colony and the Hellfire Club being the Inner Circle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's so weird to me that all the Marvel cartoons of that era used lasers instead of real weapons and BTAS had the bad guys firing Tommy guns and regular looking pistols.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm re-watching X-Men TAS and was very amused when this sequence was replaced with a lightsaber battle. And then later on Xavier and Shadow King had a lightsaber battle. Lots of Star Wars stuff in there!

Also liked the Brood being renamed the Colony and the Hellfire Club being the Inner Circle.

I get the Hellfire Club renaming since kids shows from back then (and still now I guess) are so hesitant about saying "hell" but I wonder what the deal is with the Brood.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Air Skwirl posted:

It's so weird to me that all the Marvel cartoons of that era used lasers instead of real weapons and BTAS had the bad guys firing Tommy guns and regular looking pistols.

It never stood out to me until someone pointed it out many years later. Part of it was that I was like 5 when these first started coming out, but at the same time X-Men and Spider-Man both start off with the protagonists fighting giant killer robots so like, why not also have lasers I guess?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Apparently BTAS walked a very, very specific line so they could do so that if they'd wavered even a little bit on they would have gotten in trouble.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My understanding of it is that Batman TAS was able to fight off meddlesome execs more then other shows by pointing at how insanely over the Burton movies were and going, you guys like money right?

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently BTAS walked a very, very specific line so they could do so that if they'd wavered even a little bit on they would have gotten in trouble.

Yeah, constant fighting with the execs, very limited in how they could depict violence and limiting things that they thought a kid might try and emulate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

BTAS pushed against the censors all the time. They would put things in with the idea that censors would make them cut that but leave in the stuff the crew actually wanted. Sometimes it backfired and the censors wouldn't notice something that the crew put in specifically to throw out.

The first Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn episode had, as written, a line where the Joker says "haven't we been a couple of busy beavers" censors didn't object but the line in the episode is "busy bees" because Timm and Dini thought it was a bit much for a children's cartoon.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Tick cartoon had real guns too, somehow. There was a Punisher parody called Big Shot who went around machine-gunning things.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

TwoPair posted:

I get the Hellfire Club renaming since kids shows from back then (and still now I guess) are so hesitant about saying "hell" but I wonder what the deal is with the Brood.

Sounds like it was a variety of things. but not related to censorship.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The_Other posted:

It's been speculated that, legally, Allison was in the clear it just that CPI's lawyers are bigger than Allison's lawyers and Allison didn't want to fight it anyway.

Allison also did a Batman webcomic and an X-man webcomic, which have also been taken down but Allison never mentioned getting any C&D from Marvel or DC. I'm guessing Allison got away with those two because they were both short, 22-page comics so by the time the companies noticed he had already finished and posted them, as well the fact that Disney and Time-Warner are both big enough that they felt it might not be worth legal action. Allison probably was contacted by Marvel and/or DC, but more gently than a legal order, since those are comic companies were CPI just holds and limerences the trademark to Conan. They probably told Allison something to the effect of, " Hey, nice comics, but could you please take them down after a while".

I bought a copy of the Batman book off him at Thought Bubble last year :ssh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

The first Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn episode had, as written, a line where the Joker says "haven't we been a couple of busy beavers" censors didn't object but the line in the episode is "busy bees" because Timm and Dini thought it was a bit much for a children's cartoon.

Well that's no "Don't 'cha wanna rev your Harley?"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Re: BTAS and the censors, in Batman: Animated by Paul Dini & Chip Kidd they gave some insight into it as well as examples of changes they had to make:

quote:

Some of Batman's greatest conflicts have not been with the Joker or the Riddler, but against a much more excruciating adversary: the censor. Broadcast Standards and Practices (BS&P), ever vigilant to shield America's youth from objectionable program content, closely oversees every script, storyboard, and rough cut, order the omission of action and dialogue they feel is too intesne for the kiddies. Needless to say, theis rarely sits well with the creative staff, chraged with turning out an exciting super hero show week after week.

It has always been a struggle to preserve the dark integrity of Batman's world, though sometimes BS&P cuts prompt the artist to develop creative alternatives to scenes that would be axed otherwise. In “Robin's Reckoning” we were forbidden to show the on-screen murder of Dick Grayson's parents in a sabotaged trapeze “accident.” Director Dick Sebast and his crew staged the action with only the Graysons' silhouettes seen against a circus spotlight. Suddenly their shadows dropped away and the severed rope swung back into frame accompanied by a music sting and the crowd's horrified reaction. The sequence came off just as chilling as if we had actually seen them fall to their deaths.

In all fairness, the BS&P restrictions on Batman, both at Fox and at the Kids' WB!, have been much more lenient than at any other network. One of the unsung heroes of the series was Avery Coburn, Fox's BS&P liaison. We were getting into new territory with this show, and Avery understood exactly what we were going for. She changed the rules for daytime animated series, which were long due for an overhaul. In past Saturday morning shows the hero wasn't even allowed to make a fist, much less hit anyone with it. The idea of Batman as a dark, sometimes violent crime fighter has generally been respected by BS&P, which we appreciate. And in each episode we've come to expect the usual cautionary notes about punches to the face, gunplay, or the inappropriate skimpiness of Harley Quinn's underwear. Still the censors always manage to throw us a few curves, and presented here are our internal comments on the various BS&P notes we've received over the years.

quote:

Bruce, the network says it is not their practice to show animal excrement hitting anyone on a children's show. They want us to cut the bat guano landing on Alfred's jacket and send them a fixed version of the episode.

Page A28: Network says no to Batman slugging Torchy in the gut with his fist. Kicking him, striking him with his whole are or some such is okay.

Page 15: They won't let Scarface call anyone a “Scumbag”

Page 10: It'll break Alan's heart, but Penguin's joke about “picking up all the soap” in prison is out.

Network wants to cut Batman saying “Oh my God” from the audio cassette. They realize it's the logical thing for the character to say in the situation, but fell many religious families would be offend ed by hearing Batman take the Lord's name in vain. It's okay for him to gasp.

Page A59: The third thug must be caucasian.

Page C41-42 Censor says Ras' looks too much like the devil. They want to lose the horned demon mask, glowing eyes, fangs and flames as he emerges from the pit.

Page 19: BS&P says Bane picking up Robin by the head is too easy for a kid to copy with a pet or smaller kid.

Page C16: Censor has a problem with Batman punching the skinny man in the face.

Page C39: Tell Dan he's going to have to restage this so Miriam isn't kicking Batman in the head.

Pages C97, C99, and C124-125: Baby-Doll can't bash Batman in the face with Mr. Happy Head.

Page C58: Robin kicking the thugs in their faces is too much. A body kick is okay.

Pages 4-5: I can't believe they want us to change the scene of the hyenas putting their head into the baby carriage and chowing down!

Page 34: It has to be clear though Harley's dialogue: “I think I made a mess on your cape” that she only barfed.

Pages 15 and 17: Censors want us to be more sensitive toward the families of those with mental illness. As Harley's just been released from the Laughing Academy, they don't want Bullock calling her a “fruitcake” or screwball”

Page A15: It's okay to have Catwoman rake Batman's face, just don't show any blood.

Pages C10, C15, and C21: Censor wants us to figure out someplace for Catwoman to land other than on her face or breasts.

Page 26: We have to make it clear in the board that Batman's kneeing the Walrus in the stomach.

Page 12: Network has a problem with Bruce's line “I'll see you in hell!”

quote:

Early in the series development a list was made up ob Broadcast Standard and Practices taboos, all of which are lampooned in the accompanying illustration by Bruce Timm. How many network no-no's can you find? (Answers below.)

1. Guns. 2. Drugs. 3. Breaking Glass. 4. Alcohol. 5. Smoking. 6. Nudity. 7. Child endangerment. 8. Religion. 9. Strangulation.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 11, 2024

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Phy posted:

I looked up where the States was at now and in addition to death+70 (not a problem for Robert Howard), it's also the shorter of creation of the work +120 or publication + 95. Which I think means, since "The Phoenix On The Sword" was published in December 1932, Allison only needs to sit on the comic until 2027?

E: I'm not a big Allison fan but I was enjoying the Conan comic and I actually really liked his one about Kitty Pryde and Wolverine

It would depend on whether "The Phoenix on the Sword" 's copyright was renewed in 1959-1960, as publications prior to 1964 were required to have their copyright renewed sometime after their 27th but before 28 full years from their publication. If they were renewed, another 28 years copyright; if not, straight into the public domain. A quick perusal of the various digitized copyright renewal ledgers out there suggests to me that this never happened (Wikisource sure seems convinced it's Public Domain!), and that indeed all of Howard's original stories are public domain at this point.

I do work at the Library of Congress though, maybe I'll slip into the Copyright Office sometime and find out for sure...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, BREAKING GLASS? why.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Gummy Joe posted:

It would depend on whether "The Phoenix on the Sword" 's copyright was renewed in 1959-1960, as publications prior to 1964 were required to have their copyright renewed sometime after their 27th but before 28 full years from their publication. If they were renewed, another 28 years copyright; if not, straight into the public domain. A quick perusal of the various digitized copyright renewal ledgers out there suggests to me that this never happened (Wikisource sure seems convinced it's Public Domain!), and that indeed all of Howard's original stories are public domain at this point.

I do work at the Library of Congress though, maybe I'll slip into the Copyright Office sometime and find out for sure...

You have no idea how much I wish there were an online repository for looking this sort of thing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait, BREAKING GLASS? why.

Because kids might emulate it and jump through a window! :eng101:

To be fair, I think this is mostly showing Batman jumping through a window or throwing people through them than glass breaking in general.
There's a scene early in Mask of the Phantasm where they it and a few other things like this just because they could!