Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BlancoNino posted:

More of a man-purse

Just call it a purse goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
AITA for not listening to and kicking my husband out after he said “I love you” for the first time

quote:

We’re both Indian but we’ve both lived in North America since our childhoods. As you might guess, it was an arranged marriage so we only met a couple of times before the wedding. He told me right away that he had just gone through a breakup with a long time girlfriend and it was the only reason he was going down the arranged marriage route. I was fine with this as long as there wouldn’t be any infidelity issues down the line and he promised.

He stayed true to this but he was very cold to me for the first couple of months. In these months, we got intimate very often but the relationship felt purely physical and lacked any emotional or personal connection. Even the ring he got me was a $60 plain ring from Walmart. Seeing that honestly broke my heart and I wasn’t sure if he would ever actually love and care about me.

The one thing he did for me was noticing that I was struggling and overworked at my job. He makes 12 times what I was making at my job and told me that I didn’t have to work and could be a housewife/homemaker as his income was more than enough to afford us a very comfortable lifestyle. I want to clear this and say that he never pressured or manipulated me into quitting my job, the decision was solely mine. Anyway, this gave me a lot of time to really get to know him, learn to cook his favorite meals, etc. Despite me trying everything to be the best possible wife to him, he was still super cold to me and the most affection I got was a smile for anything I would do for him. Suddenly, just before our three month anniversary, he asked me if I wanted to join him on a walk after dinner. That walk was the first time I felt him being affectionate and caring. These walks became our new normal and it expanded to actual date nights, spontaneous activities, better intimacy. I feel super loved and safe with him. Everything became great - he would compliment and appreciate even the smallest things, surprise me with gifts and flowers, makes me feel beautiful but he never said “I love you” despite me saying it very often and this was nearing our first anniversary.

The night before our first anniversary, we were watching a show together and around 11:30pm, he said let’s go for a walk. He had planned this and our walk went so we reached my favorite spot in our area, a specific spot along a walking path with a beautiful view of the nearby lake, just before midnight. He apologized for how cold and distant he was in the first few months after the wedding, followed by him telling me how thankful he was to have me as his wife and appreciating my presence turned his “giant pile of bricks” (referring to the house we live in) into a place he can actually call home. At midnight (aka our anniversary), he told me loved me and got on one knee and slid a beautiful diamond-studded ring onto my finger and presented me with my favorite flowers that he had hid nearby a few hours ago. He had some friends of ours secretly record and take pictures of this entire conversation. I couldn’t stop smiling. The beautiful ring, his “I love you”, his genuine appreciation meant the world to me.

24 hours and many more I love yous later, we had just got home from our anniversary dinner. We looked at our photos of the previous night and the dinner and I posted some on my social media. A few minutes later, I got a nasty DM from his longtime ex calling me names like whore and slut and saying I ruined their relationship and she should be the one with the ring and just making GBS threads on my entire existence. She also sent an intimate video of her and my husband.

I started crying and yelling at my husband, accusing him of cheating. My husband showed me his phone and it showed 1000s of messages from his ex over the past year that he never responded to. My husband hugged me and held me close but I couldn’t stop crying and asked my husband to leave the house. He reluctantly agreed, hugged me again and promised he never betrayed me and headed to his best friend's place for the night. I feel so insecure because his ex is so much more attractive than I am and the video showed how intensely in love they were. I asked two of my girlfriends to spend the night and they came immediately and were able to calm me down. My husband came by the next day to talk but couldn’t bear to look at him. I asked him to give me some time alone. He said ok and kissed my forehead and dropped off some food and my favorite chocolate he had got for me. Three days went by like this and I called him asking if he could come back home. He left work early and came straight to me. I didn’t even say anything, I just broke down crying when I saw him. He held me close and promised that the only woman he cares about is me, his wife. It’s been a four days since he came back home and he’s been giving me flowers, random hugs and kisses, everything a wife dreams of getting from her husband but I just can’t move on from seeing that video of him and his ex.

My husband has been trying to talk to me about this but I’ve been shutting down any conversation. He tried again during dinner today and this time I blew up at him and told him to leave. It was something in the heat of the moment but he looked hurt. He packed some clothes and said he’s going back to his friend’s place until I’m ready to talk. I tried to stop him when he was leaving but he left anyway and won’t pick up my calls. My girlfriend (his friend’s wife) called and said he’s staying over for at least the night.

I called my sister and explained the whole situation to her. She told me I hosed up big time and told me I was an rear end in a top hat for 1) kicking him out the first time 2) not even being open to a conversation 3) kicking him out again

AITA? I understand that my husband is innocent in this but no one seems to understand what I’m going through seeing that video.

Edit: Update Posted

And the update

Update: Kicked my husband out after his ex sent me an intimate video of them

quote:

Original post on my profile or https://www.reddit.com/r/AITAH/s/7BhSk04UCN

I couldn’t sleep after he left the second time (last night) and stayed up reading every single comment. Thank you all for helping me realize how much I was hurting my husband by not being open to a conversation and repetitively asking him to leave. I called him again. He didn’t pick up so I left a voicemail and begged him to come home and promised that we could talk about everything. He couldn’t sleep either and came home around 3am. I was still awake and asked if we could talk now. We sat down and I began the conversation.

I explained that I truly love him but seeing the intense chemistry he and his ex had in the video made me feel jealous and insecure. He promised that that was something of the past and I am his present and future and he only loves me. I apologized for ignoring his attempts at talking to me and telling him to leave. I said a lot of I’m sorrys and promised to be a better communicator. He forgave me but also told me that he was at fault as well. He said he enabled his ex by not blocking her, giving her the idea that she still had a chance with him, which caused her to try to come after me and cause a rift in our marriage. He also told me she messaged him the day after sending the message and video, again begging him to leave me for her. He apologized for “his part in letting his ex disrespect” me and showed me he had blocked her now. We decided to not go to counseling for now and just work on things ourselves.

For my self-esteem issues regarding thinking his ex was much more attractive than me, my husband reassured me and told me that I’m perfect the way I am and he loves every part of me. He suggested that some sort of physical exercise could help me improve my own self-confidence, the same way weightlifting helped him when he was going through a dark phase in his late teens. So I’m going to be joining a pilates class, where a couple of my girlfriends already go quite regularly.

We spent a few more hours just talking and the topic of his ex came up and I asked if he could tell me what happened between them. Long story short, he was reluctant to tell me, his ex of 4 years cheated when he was planning to propose, he went on a bender, parents asked if he wanted to try the arranged marriage route, he agreed saying he was in no condition to make good decisions. We met a month after he got clean and things went from there.

He said he regrets treating me poorly early in our relationship and regrets giving me the lovely Walmart ring because of what another woman did to him and asked for my forgiveness. About the thousands of messages, he didn’t block his ex on any form of communication because his “revenge” was showing her his life could be better without her, but admitted he also found her desperation pretty funny. We read some of the messages together and had a nice laugh before he deleted all of them permanently on his own accord.

So that’s that I guess. Talking with him went as best as it could have. He forgave me and admitted to and apologized for his parts in this. We fell asleep together, I cooked his favorite meal for lunch, we went on a walk, and all seems good. Thank you everyone for helping me realize how much we needed to calmly talk to each other

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm gonna start prefixing everything with that just so people know how masculine I am. Hello, I would like to purchase these man-groceries, please accept my man-money and place them in my man-bag for me to carry to my man-car

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Having grown up in the country I am completely baffled by the idea of considering a cut to be any more than a mild nuisance, not gonna lie.

Also, hydrogen peroxide? What's next, iodine? Do Americans not have papaw ointment or something? You apparently lean towards massive overkill for medicine as a rule.

neosporin, mentioned in the story, is basically pawpaw ointment with antibiotics added

basic first aid is cleaning out the wound, disinfecting it, and then putting some sort of barrier on it. especially anything that punctures, bc that poo poo can drive bacteria deep. You ever seen a cat bite that someone didn't clean up and disinfect? that poo poo gets gnarly fast. the exact materials you use to do this are up for debate, but ultimately, you want to make sure there's nothing nasty in the wound before you wrap it up.

I mention this bc pawpaw ointment = a gel barrier, so as long as you've cleaned the wound with even just soap & water it should work fine on minor cuts. but if you're just slapping it on without cleaning, yeah I'm doing some side-eyeing.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2024

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for not letting my sister and her kids live in my house?

quote:

I 25F am an electrician. I started my apprenticeship at 17 and was hired immediately by my sponsor after I received my license. The reason I chose a trade was that I grew up in a trailer with my mom and sister, and I have wanted to own a house since I can remember, and being in the trades gave me access to a stable job and access to more money sooner. My partner, 29F, Thea, is a plumber, and we have scrounged and saved. In the end we bought land and built a tiny house in the uptown area of our city. It has two bedrooms and one bathroom, one of the bedrooms is our reptile room, as I keep snakes and Thea keeps bearded dragons. We are child-free and happy in our home.

My Sister "Lucy" 34F, is a waitress and has three kids (M4, M3, M2). Her husband just left her for a woman my age and she is left without his income to raise all three kids on her own. Her husband bought out her half of the house during the divorce and that left her and the kids living with my mom in the trailer.

I can admit I didn't grow up in the safest of areas and was carrying a knife when I was a teenager because of the danger. Because of the safety issue, Lucy came to Thea and I and begged us to let her and her sons move in. She said we would have to get rid of our reptiles or keep them in our room, her sons could have the other bedroom, and she would sleep in our kitchen on an air mattress. She said nothing about paying us rent or helping around the house.

I told her no, because two toddlers and a little kid who is about to start kindergarten aren't suitable to be in our home and we don't want too many people in our house. She said that we live in a better part of town with better schools and that she needed the help. I told her we didn't have the room and that I was sorry, but I could hook her up with some journeymen I know and she could get started on an apprenticeship that pays better than her current job if she needed extra money.

She called my job and Thea's job "Dirty blue collar trash" and left our home. She posted about how we wouldn't let her stay online, and now my relatives are messaging me about, "How could I let a single mother and 3 kids be homeless," How "they're your blood," and "You owe your sister better than that." I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat even though Thea told me I have every right not to want them in our house. AITA?
didn't see this posted in a search, even if it was this update is amazing.

quote:

AFTER DINNER WITH MY XBIL EDIT: Thea and I went to dinner with my XBIL tonight. He brought his laptop and showed us all of the documentation.
1.) Lucy used her proceeds from the house to pay for her attorney, even though my XBIL offered to pay (timestamped e-mails to prove it)
2.) The woman living with him is his niece, not his AP, as Lucy claimed. (She came to the meeting; they have pictures and phone records showing that she is my XBIL's older sister's daughter.)
3.) LUCY CHEATED: ALL 3 BOYS AREN'T HIS. And DNA tests show that they all have different dads. So Lucy has been having multiple affairs.
4.) The 300 he is sending each month is a good will payment for allowing him to be a dad for a few years.
5.) Lucy isn't waitressing, she is working for Amway and another company called Sentsy in direct sales.
6.) Lucy won't do an apprenticeship because it doesn't fall under traditional gender roles (posts on a second social media account)
7.) Lucy has made homophobic posts on social media about me and my wife, and blocked us so we didn't see them.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Just call it a purse goddamnit.

Y'all are being catty for no reason, enjoy my huge gay bag

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
not gay enough, gay it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twE3Sl6OPxQ

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've literally never heard the term "papaw/pawpaw ointment" before today

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BlancoNino posted:

Y'all are being catty for no reason, enjoy my huge gay bag

can a gay bag also be a go bag or do they have to be separate

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A life well-lived truly is the best revenge.

AITA for telling my ex's best friend that she is the reason I left him?

quote:

I (28F) just eloped a month ago with my husband. Before meeting my husband, I was engaged to Jack (28M, fake name), and I left him, two years ago. The reason was, that he would always, always pick his two best friends' Paul and Wendy's (fake names) side over me. Paul thought I was making Jack boring, and Wendy had a problem with everything. She hated my clothes, ( I'm South Asian and tend to dress a bit too modestly), and my job, as it was too taxing, and spared no occasion to passive-aggressively tell me that I was boring and uptight. Wendy even made our whole engagement about her and Jack's friendship. And when I was mad, Jack defended her. She even barged her way into most of our couple trips and if I protested, she said I was trying to alienate Jack from his friends. Jack always, defended her and told me I was overreacting. Ultimately, I broke up with him and moved to another city for work. Wendy egged my car, and Paul left rude texts. I thought that was it.

Two days ago, I got a call from a mutual friend of mine and Jack, and she said that Wendy desperately wanted to meet me, as she is in my city. I initially told no, but she said that Wendy had been harassing her and my husband advised me to go. So I met her at a café, and Wendy started by telling me how disappointed she was that I didn't tell my old friends that I had gotten married. I told her that our old friends proved their loyalty to me when they chose Jack during our breakup. Wendy then started to tear up on how Jack misses me, how he hasn't dated since I left, that I broke his heart, and that he still loves me. I told her Jack was not a man fit to be married. All those years of gaslighting came back to me and I told her that she was the reason I left. Her constant intruding in everything and the fact that Jack had no backbone is the reason he was unhappy. She is the one who cannot see him with another woman and always wants him for herself. That she dared to confront me told me a lot about her character.

Wendy started to cry and left the table. I paid the bill and went home. But later two of my old friends told me that I could have been kinder to Wendy, as Jack refused to talk to her when Wendy went home and told him what I had said to her. I told her off, I said that Jack never acknowledged Wendy's behaviour even though I told him my issues with her many times, and now I didn't care.

But I am starting to feel more guilty, as I think I could have handled this maturely. My husband says I'm right, but now I feel that I ruined Jack and Wendy's relationship. AITA?
Good on OP for cutting ties with all the awful people in her former social circle, refusing to grant absolution or forgiveness to any of them, and moving onwards and upwards with her life.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

“Dirty blue collar trash” that enabled them to buy land and build a house in what sounds like a trendy part of town lmfao

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

A life well-lived truly is the best revenge.

Good on OP for cutting ties with all the awful people in her former social circle, refusing to grant absolution or forgiveness to any of them, and moving onwards and upwards with her life.

quote:

My husband says I'm right, but now I feel that I ruined Jack and Wendy's relationship
What a weird thing to even worry about considering she only said this to Wendy and only because Wendy insisted on meeting with her. If Wendy told Jack and that ruined their relation that's entirely on Wendy.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

“Dirty blue collar trash” that enabled them to buy land and build a house in what sounds like a trendy part of town lmfao
I guess MLMs are the only acceptable tradwife job

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 9, 2024

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've literally never heard the term "papaw/pawpaw ointment" before today

Only pawpaw I know of is the fruit. Delicious, will attract bears from miles around, keeps worse than a relative after a week-long visit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bonster posted:

Only pawpaw I know of is the fruit. Delicious, will attract bears from miles around, keeps worse than a relative after a week-long visit.
Papaw ointment is apparently made from the fruit and contains papain, an enzyme also found in papayas that's used as a meat tenderizer

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

mystes posted:

Why would you go out of your way to buy a first aid product that has zero scientific evidence to support its effectiveness?

I like Nelson's Burns Ointment because I'm clumsy and tend to singe myself on kitchen equipment. But I suspect the benefit is mostly from the white paraffin, fat etc keeping the burn soft rather than herbal woo.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah, pawpaw ointment is a barrier jelly, it's fully natural, comes from a pawpaw. cheaper pawpaw ointments even have petroleum jelly in them as filler.

the pawpaw does have natural disinfectant and antimicrobial properties but its still recommended you properly clean/disinfect the cut first, just like you don't just slather neosporin on poo poo without cleaning it. ofc the makers of pawpaw ointment sell it as a one-stop shop tho, it's magical and cleans out your wounds itself, and people are willing to trust capitalists are being honest in this instance somehow

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just assumed it was whatever folky gunk stuff that poster's dad mushed up and smeared on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

What a weird thing to even worry about considering she only said this to Wendy and only because Wendy insisted on meeting with her. If Wendy told Jack and that ruined their relation that's entirely on Wendy.
That seems like one of those humblebrag AITAs, where someone wants to tell a story where they are the hero and get the feedback and affirmations and upvotes for it, but they also need to come up with a reason (however contrived) to ask if they are the rear end in a top hat at some point in order to make it on-topic for the AITA forums.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah, pawpaw ointment is a barrier jelly, it's fully natural, comes from a pawpaw. cheaper pawpaw ointments even have petroleum jelly in them as filler.

the pawpaw does have natural disinfectant and antimicrobial properties but its still recommended you properly clean/disinfect the cut first, just like you don't just slather neosporin on poo poo without cleaning it. ofc the makers of pawpaw ointment sell it as a one-stop shop tho, it's magical and cleans out your wounds itself, and people are willing to trust capitalists are being honest in this instance somehow

I usually eat the pawpaws off our tree, I didn't know I should be smashing them into wounds.

Honey has antibiotic and antifungal properties as well. My pawpaw-honey ice cream should make me invincible!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bonster posted:

Look for the bear necessities
The simple bear necessities

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Kurieg posted:

I 25F am an electrician. I started my apprenticeship...

That previous story about fleshlight electrician broke my brain, my first thought on seeing this was wondering if she gets a union-provided dildo to use in the back of the truck during lunch or if she's stuck with a fleshlight that's useless to her.

And just lol at calling someone you're begging for free living space from 'trash'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bonster posted:

I usually eat the pawpaws off our tree, I didn't know I should be smashing them into wounds.

Honey has antibiotic and antifungal properties as well. My pawpaw-honey ice cream should make me invincible!

Honey as topical medicine does have a very long history I'm pretty sure.

Lucas' Papaw Ointment is everywhere down under and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that much, but it does enough I can smear it on a shaving cut or mozzie bite and forget about it til it goes away or gets worse. Same thing I used to use Medicreme or Savlon for, seems to be about as effective.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

And just lol at calling someone you're begging for free living space from 'trash'.
It's one of my favorite recurring archetypes from these stories, the idiot who can't stop insulting the person they are begging charity from.

"I never loved you and I wish had cheated on you a hundred more times. Now, that said, how about some help so me and the baby I had with the affair partner aren't thrown out in the street?"

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm gonna start prefixing everything with that just so people know how masculine I am. Hello, I would like to purchase these man-groceries, please accept my man-money and place them in my man-bag for me to carry to my man-car

Eww, your money's got pictures of dudes on them! What are you, gay?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love it when people get all classist towards people who make way way more money than them. Quite a few of my friends are in trades and some of the poo poo they've got from their waspy extended families who think its a scandal they're working in trades and don't even have a degree from a "good school" is so pathetic. And so often it's like a cousin or uncle with a degree from a good school but is on their 2nd divorce and bankruptcy and haven't worked reliably since covid vs my friend who's pulling 100k+ a year installing specialty fire alarm systems or piping up industrial boilers or doing welding for the navy.

They're never above asking for money or help though of course. Even the parents will be like "you're such a disappointing black sheep of the family, I can't believe you gave up on education and bettering yourself and work trades. By the way your golden child Phd brother needs financial help after his divorce and bad investments and there's no jobs in his academic specialty"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shanghaied posted:

Eww, your money's got pictures of dudes on them! What are you, gay?

Real men only deal in Sacagawea and Susan B Anthony dollars.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Y'all need to escape the alcohol/peroxide scam and buy a bottle of Betadine like they use pre and post surgery.

If you need immediate blood clotting, go with honey or granulated sugar. It'll help the wound clot and most bacteria are all "oh no this much sugar is not conducive to life" and then die.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like CA/superglue for cuts. Instant scab.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Baronjutter posted:

I love it when people get all classist towards people who make way way more money than them. Quite a few of my friends are in trades and some of the poo poo they've got from their waspy extended families who think its a scandal they're working in trades and don't even have a degree from a "good school" is so pathetic. And so often it's like a cousin or uncle with a degree from a good school but is on their 2nd divorce and bankruptcy and haven't worked reliably since covid vs my friend who's pulling 100k+ a year installing specialty fire alarm systems or piping up industrial boilers or doing welding for the navy.

They're never above asking for money or help though of course. Even the parents will be like "you're such a disappointing black sheep of the family, I can't believe you gave up on education and bettering yourself and work trades. By the way your golden child Phd brother needs financial help after his divorce and bad investments and there's no jobs in his academic specialty"
The ones where someone with a high-status office job enters a relationship with a tradesperson, only to have a meltdown when they discover that the tradesperson makes more than they, owns their own business/shop, and sets their own hours, while the are killing themselves to try a climb to the next rung of the corporate ladder, are always funny. We had one late in the last thread where someone all but had a breakdown when she discovered that her tattoo artist boyfriend made much more than she did even though she had a fancy degree and a prestigious office job.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

cat botherer posted:

Hydrogen peroxide is awesome to gargle with, even if its not good for wounds. It's cheaper than Listerine, doesn't hurt, whitens your teeth, and the mechanical action of the bubbles is great at dislodging biofilms and stuff below your gum line.

I gargle with 70% hydrogen peroxide. Highly recommended

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

FMguru posted:

quote:

Wendy egged my car

How nice of Wendy to save some of that egg for her face :frogc00l:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My father-in-law used to be dead set that all his children had to have prestigious degrees and careers, the doctor/lawyer/engineer type guy. His oldest two went to university for STEM, but didn't end up in those careers because it's not what they actually wanted. My husband is the third kid, he ended up in a trade even though he planned to do engineering at first. Makes tons of money, bought a house when he was 23. There's three younger kids and my husband was used as a bad example for years of what they shouldn't do. It stung him a bit but he mostly found it hilarious because he was doing better than his older siblings by far, all his siblings knew it and thought their dad was ridiculous.

All of that is in the past now, 4th kid also did STEM but ended up a chef, youngest two didn't even think about university. Dad is fine with everything now, he did the opposite of most boomers and really mellowed out with age.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My mom gives me and my sister poo poo for not having advanced degrees/working jobs that aren't prestigious enough despite being a high school dropout who hasn't worked in over three decades and has six figures of debt. It's just generally an easy way for unpleasant people to be nasty to someone who's living better than they are.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for wanting to eat a dessert in a restaurant?

quote:

So my boyfriend (29m) and me (28f) are currently travelling through Italy. Yesterday we would take a train from Florence to our next hotel in the countryside of Tuscany. We were going to have a last dinner there yesterday night, I chose a place that has the best tiramisu in Florence according to insta and we didn't manage to go there earlier. Our meal took a bit longer than expected and my boyfriend reminded me that the last train we could take was at 21.40, the next train would only come early in the morning. He said that it would be too tight to eat dessert and that we should just pay and leave to make it to the train. According to my estimation we had 20 minutes left, so it would either be 20 minutes waiting in the station or 20 minutes in the restaurant, no big deal.

When the waiter came and asked if we wanted anything else I quickly ordered the tiramisu. Without having to read the menu first i figured it would be fast enough to make our train still. My boyfriend got kind of red and asked me why i did that. I just told him that they will bring it out soon and that we have plenty time to make the train.

So it took a little longer than expected and by the time it came I only had time to snap a few quick pictures and eat it fast. I offered my boyfriend some of it but he said he didn't want any. We paid and left, it was tight now but still possible so we grabbed our luggage and made a run for it. In the end we made it, I admit that there was barely any time left but we got in the train a couple minutes before we left. I sat down and just felt such relief that everything worked out. My boyfriend just threw the bags down and sat somewhere else for a moment untill the train left. I called out to him and told him to come sit with me. I started talking about how we did it but he cut me off and asked me in an angry tone "why i had to have that dessert". He complained about running halfway through the city and almost missing the train.

I felt very hurt and was a bit scared to be honest, I have never seen him angry like this. We argued the whole train ride and on the way to our hotel. There he eventually just said that he was exhausted, turned around and went to sleep. I cried myself to sleep at night and woke up feeling very horrible. He is still asleep and I come here to ask you if I am the rear end in a top hat here.

:commissar:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have zero debt. I also make very little money. A fun question for people who judge me for this? "How much debt do you have and when will you pay it off? Also how much interest are you paying on it?" They're almost always living paycheck to paycheck and/or failing to accrue any sort of savings.

I might be poor but i'm not wasting a buncha cash on school loans you can't discharge and compound interest on them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kurieg posted:

AITA for not letting my sister and her kids live in my house?

didn't see this posted in a search, even if it was this update is amazing.

Goddamn that update.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

quote:

I only had time to snap a few quick pictures

I would have left her in Florence.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for wanting to eat a dessert in a restaurant?

:commissar:

Tell me you’re not accustomed to public transportation without saying it

mystes
May 31, 2006

She probably literally could have just told the restaurant that they were in a hurry and asked if they could bring out the tiramisu at the same time as the entrees when she ordered them if she wasn't an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Tell me you’re not accustomed to public transportation without saying it

Not just that but disrespecting the time constraints, then taking pictures before wolfing everything down & rushing out. She cares more about social media bullshit than the trip/boyfriend, he should've just left & let her figure it out.