Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Cactus Ghost posted:

ngl having the nerve to call it Astro Van is pretty amazing

in the older sense of the word "van", the kind still used to describe enclosed truck trailers with hard sides, the shuttle and buran were both definitely space vans

LOL but the astro van was driving on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think Boeing with that name was aspiring to this:

Which could be pretty reliable

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Someone told me I should repost this here, so...

Nipponophile posted:

I went to a plane museum this week and took a bunch of pictures. The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL is one of the largest military aviation museums in the world and possesses an example of drat near everything that ever flew in Navy or Marine colors. In the interest of not clogging up the thread, I'll just post a few of the more unique displays and link the rest of the gallery if you want to see more.

The JN-4 "Jenny" flying boat, first aircraft to cross the Atlantic:

A rare Navy F-16, painted in Aggressor colors so it could pretend to be a MiG at Top Gun:

This plane, a Navy version of the venerable Douglas DC-3/C-47, was the first aircraft to land at the South Pole. Note the ski pads on the landing gear:

This O-1 Bird Dog was flown by Major Ly Buang of the Vietnamese Air Force, who escaped the country with his wife and five children aboard and made a death-defying carrier landing on the USS Midway without the benefit of a tail hook.

Some dumb Nazi poo poo. Stupid thing doesn't even have a proper propeller:

Full gallery here:
http://imgur.com/a/oEvHlkF

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So many historic planes housed smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nipponophile posted:

That big seaplane is the Curtiss NC-4, not a JN-4.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

PainterofCrap posted:

My third-happiest moment in the Shuttle program was when Mission Control woke the crew with Deep Purple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

(#1: first flight with Crippen & Young.
#2: In 1997, when John Grunsfeld called in to Car Talk from orbit. I have this on cassette tape somewhere)

Did you record the Car Talk spot yourself?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, I did! It was broadcast live on (IIRC) Saturday mornings, then repeated the following day. I set it up. Also recorded the Car Talk Christmas show from 1995 - I digitized the latter & it's a holiday favorite. Gotta go looking for the shuttle call, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That big seaplane is the Curtiss NC-4, not a JN-4.

You're correct. I blame my lapse on not having taken any notes to go along with my photos, and also being a little punch-drunk from being at the end of my vacation, and also being more than a little actual drunk from all the malt liquor, and oh hey, what's that over there...

Rip Testes posted:

So many historic planes housed smack dab in the middle of hurricane alley.

At least it's a lot better than it used to be. The first time I visited the Museum back in the 80s, it was less than a third of its current size and many of the exhibits were being displayed outdoors. Nowadays, almost everything is pretty well secured from the elements.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 9, 2024

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

I miss this show so much.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nipponophile posted:

The last time I visited that museum was in the mid-90s and I'm definitely going to see the updated version as soon as I can.

In fact, I'm planning a wholly insane roundabout (in a rental car) museum megatrip from Northern VA to:

1. Charlotte NC - Sullenberger Aviation Museum (opening 6/1 at long loving last)
2. Atlanta GA - Delta Flight Museum
3. Robins AFB GA - Museum of Aviation (two-fer as Macon isn't too far from Atlanta)
4. Fort Novosel AL - US Army Aviation Museum (there are some very interesting uniques and prototypes here)
5. NAS Pensacola FL - Naval Aviation Museum
6. Mobile AL - USS Alabama Memorial Park (another two-fer as they have an A-12 and YF-17 prototype, and I saw the other at the Western Museum of Flight in 2019)
7. Huntsville AL - US Space & Rocket Center
8. Dayton OH - Museum of the US Air Force (already been once, but I kinda want to see the Memphis Belle in-person)

Something ~2300 miles all in from start to finish.

And yes, I've been to the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Nipponophile posted:

At least it's a lot better than it used to be. The first time I visited the Museum back in the 80s, it was less than a third of its current size and many of the exhibits were being displayed outdoors. Nowadays, almost everything is pretty well secured from the elements.

I believe I visited that same museum back in the 80s as well and when thumbing through your photos I was starting to doubt I had ever actually been there. Quite the collection and its now on my list to revisit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just to get the jump on any BREAKING NEWS twitter accounts, an air Senegal 737 rejected takeoff due to a hydraulic failure this morning. They slid off the end of the runway and briefly caught fire. All passengers evacuated via the slides with minor injuries. One of the AvHerald commenters says the FO received serious injuries.

https://avherald.com/h?article=51867a11&opt=0

The aircraft was nearly 30 years old.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

Just to get the jump on any BREAKING NEWS twitter accounts, an air Senegal 737 rejected takeoff due to a hydraulic failure this morning. They slid off the end of the runway and briefly caught fire. All passengers evacuated via the slides with minor injuries. One of the AvHerald commenters says the FO received serious injuries.

https://avherald.com/h?article=51867a11&opt=0

The aircraft was nearly 30 years old.

The mainstream coverage I've seen is exactly what you'd expect. Yeah, I'm sure Boeing's current troubles explain a 30-year-old two-generation-old aircraft in a developing country having an, all things told, fairly minor accident.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh I wouldn't call that minor. Glad to hear everybody made it out okay.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Speaking of 737s, what's the little plastic bit between the two panes of a passenger window? It's up at the top, usually.

this thing:

and should someone care if it's fallen off and is just rattling around between the panes? Asking for an airline who's probably had enough of Boeing's poo poo lately :v

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arguably, cracking through the engine cowl and using the engines as a skid plate when your nose gear snaps off 100' past past the end of the runway is not minor

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hadlock posted:

Arguably, cracking through the engine cowl and using the engines as a skid plate when your nose gear snaps off 100' past past the end of the runway is not minor

Arguably if that had not happened, it would not actually be an accident by ICAO definitions. Just one serious injury and a written off plane is on the minor end of the spectrum of all possible occurrences which are "accidents."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Honestly the flight attendant on my last flight just poured me a ginger ale and wouldn't give me the whole can, when is Boeing gonna fix this, absurd how they're ruining air travel.

Next you know they'll be causing traffic to make me late for my flight, just absurd.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Can I blame Boeing for being stuck on the ramp at O'Hare for an hour last weekend?

It was on an Alaska 737 MAX.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Last time I flew they gave me the little bottle of buffalo trace and a plastic cup? I need to replace my united glass that the FA gave me when I asked if I could keep it, which my wife then broke.

i say

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Honestly the flight attendant on my last flight just poured me a ginger ale and wouldn't give me the whole can,

This actually happened to me on a united flight last month, but coke zero

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Psion posted:

Speaking of 737s, what's the little plastic bit between the two panes of a passenger window? It's up at the top, usually.

this thing:

and should someone care if it's fallen off and is just rattling around between the panes? Asking for an airline who's probably had enough of Boeing's poo poo lately :v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQyvLpi5V0

1H: 40 min mark

its a diffuser for the breather hole between the inner pane (nonstructural) and the middle pane

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
of course there's a 2 hour youtube video on window panes. actually excellent, thanks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I felt a little uneasy when I read it as Boeing 737 Windows, the operating system,

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

I felt a little uneasy when I read it as Boeing 737 Windows, the operating system,

I assume that would be Windows 98 running an absolute shitload of custom-made patches, updates, and kludges to mimic Windows 11 functionality.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I posted this a month ago but here is an A350 with Windows

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I assume that would be Windows 98 running an absolute shitload of custom-made patches, updates, and kludges to mimic Windows 11 functionality.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And windows 98 is running a program scrapping a 3270 terminal emulator for the system/360 (introduced 4 years before the 737, so totally state of the art) deep in the avionics' butt.

fe: Just checked and :lol: the 3270 is younger than the 737.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

Can I blame Boeing for being stuck on the ramp at O'Hare for an hour last weekend?

It was on an Alaska 737 MAX.

Oh the joys of the O'Hare ramp. I once got stuck for a couple hours with an upset toddler in the row in front of me. The parents tried to apologize but I told them the kid was only saying what we were all thinking.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Speaking of Chicago. I booked a flight out of there with Delta and I had a choice between O'Hare on an A320 or Midway on a 717. So Naturally I went for Midway because it'll be really cool to fly on a 717!
I can tick this off my list of planes I would like to fly on plus Midway seems cool.
:toot:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I used to fly between Chicago and Atlanta a lot on Delta. Mad Dogs / 717s everywhere

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Biden's in town, heard this above my house, real low (10,000 ft? Maybe lower?) And going real slow, someone forget to read their TFRs before heading out this afternoon?

Jet's circling the local airport now, it's a twin engine and not an F22, I'm assuming F15, even though Whidbey NAS is close by.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Yeah, it's got the F-15's silhouette.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
They use F15's from Portland. Looks like someone over bremerton didn't read the NOTAMS...

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The last time I visited that museum was in the mid-90s and I'm definitely going to see the updated version as soon as I can.

In fact, I'm planning a wholly insane roundabout (in a rental car) museum megatrip from Northern VA to:

1. Charlotte NC - Sullenberger Aviation Museum (opening 6/1 at long loving last)
2. Atlanta GA - Delta Flight Museum
3. Robins AFB GA - Museum of Aviation (two-fer as Macon isn't too far from Atlanta)
4. Fort Novosel AL - US Army Aviation Museum (there are some very interesting uniques and prototypes here)
5. NAS Pensacola FL - Naval Aviation Museum
6. Mobile AL - USS Alabama Memorial Park (another two-fer as they have an A-12 and YF-17 prototype, and I saw the other at the Western Museum of Flight in 2019)
7. Huntsville AL - US Space & Rocket Center
8. Dayton OH - Museum of the US Air Force (already been once, but I kinda want to see the Memphis Belle in-person)

Something ~2300 miles all in from start to finish.

And yes, I've been to the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin.

I should really visit the S&RC again. Even before I moved away from Alabama 20+ years ago, I only went there twice. It's changed quite a bit, looking at it from the road now. I guess they caught admin doing some poo poo and the replacement was actually able to spend money where it mattered. The test article is inside, the other buildings have expanded, and everything is lit up nicer.

It's one of those things that's local, but so much of a familiar landmark that you kinda think, "I should really pop in one day soon.", but you never do.

I don't know what your itinerary is, but Huntsville is a chill place to relax on the weekends. Downtown is a lot busier now, Campus 805 (breweries, live music) is worth a visit, and so is Back Fourty (brewery, live music). Might be worth a two day stay over the weekend. A car is kinda a must, but Uber/Lyft can shuttle you around pretty quickly between places, IME.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The Real Amethyst posted:

Speaking of Chicago. I booked a flight out of there with Delta and I had a choice between O'Hare on an A320 or Midway on a 717. So Naturally I went for Midway because it'll be really cool to fly on a 717!
I can tick this off my list of planes I would like to fly on plus Midway seems cool.
:toot:

Midway is also so much better to get in and out of. It's physically much smaller and although its real busy traffic seems to flow much easier in and out. Go hit up the sushi place in the A concourse its pretty good!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ugh I’ll take 190 over Cicero Ave any day.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Orange Line is the best way to/from Midway and I live in the burbs.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

take the orange line wuss

edit:^^^^what they said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

madeintaipei posted:

I should really visit the S&RC again. Even before I moved away from Alabama 20+ years ago, I only went there twice. It's changed quite a bit, looking at it from the road now. I guess they caught admin doing some poo poo and the replacement was actually able to spend money where it mattered. The test article is inside, the other buildings have expanded, and everything is lit up nicer.

It's one of those things that's local, but so much of a familiar landmark that you kinda think, "I should really pop in one day soon.", but you never do.

Come to the Spaceflight Megathread, we have cookies freeze-dried ice cream.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990