Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

DreamingofRoses posted:

AITA for not listening to and kicking my husband out after he said “I love you” for the first time

And the update

Update: Kicked my husband out after his ex sent me an intimate video of them

*furiously swinging baseball bat over and over*

Why won't this golden goose die??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Poor logistical choices aside, I've also learned to not give a gently caress when on vacation with other people. Yeah, less gets done, but they can feel the regret instead of me—the person who set no goals aside from get up on time and enjoy the sights.

Missed the last train? Nice job, idiot. Want to walk around aimlessly all night, sleep on a park bench in a foreign country, or maybe find a group italian orgy to get an STD from?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My favorite way to vacation, whether locally or afar, is to play 1-2 things per day depending on the activity length and just allow space for stuff to happen. If they were cutting it that close to the train departure time even before she ordered the dessert, they already hosed up.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If your vacation has any planned schedule other than how to get there and how to leave it's not a vacation, it's work.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite way to vacation, whether locally or afar, is to play 1-2 things per day depending on the activity length and just allow space for stuff to happen. If they were cutting it that close to the train departure time even before she ordered the dessert, they already hosed up.

Hell yeah this is the way to do it, I spent a week in Amsterdam last fall mostly wandering aimlessly around with no particular destination and it owned

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

I gargle with 70% hydrogen peroxide. Highly recommended

And if you have any left over after you gargle, you can use it for rocket propellant or mixing up a batch of piranha solution. Or is that :thejoke:?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Desert Bus posted:

If your vacation has any planned schedule other than how to get there and how to leave it's not a vacation, it's work.

It's a good ideal but sometimes you want to do something that requires advance tickets and you need a *little* more structure

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

mystes posted:

She probably literally could have just told the restaurant that they were in a hurry and asked if they could bring out the tiramisu at the same time as the entrees when she ordered them if she wasn't an idiot

or order the desert and ask for it to come out a few minutes after the entree.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

snergle posted:

or order the desert and ask for it to come out a few minutes after the entree.

You can order and eat dessert first. There's no rule that prevents it!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Desert Bus posted:

I love traveling with my wife's family. The itinerary for any given trip is just a spreadsheet of breakfast/lunch/dinner reservations and then we pretty much figure out what to do based on vibes traveling between them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

There isn't a single correct way to do vacations.

You can have a vacation where you're just chilling or wandering around for a week or you can have a vacation where you're trying to do a lot of sightseeing and going from place to place. If you're doing the latter, you probably actually do need some sort of schedule or it's going to suck.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Hell yeah this is the way to do it, I spent a week in Amsterdam last fall mostly wandering aimlessly around with no particular destination and it owned

Yeah, I'm not someone that wants to be super rigid about vacations (because like someone else said, then it is work), but for me I go with the general practice of one scheduled event and one flexible event per day - at most. A scheduled event could be "go and eat at <restaurant>" and a flexible event could be "go see <monument>" - poo poo like that.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

haveblue posted:

It's a good ideal but sometimes you want to do something that requires advance tickets and you need a *little* more structure

As a person who organised a holiday to Europe in peak season, I agree it actually takes a shitload of planning

Tickets to Eiffel tower, the Louvre, the Vatican, you either buy months in advance or have to buy off resellers. Whole dates just get sold out. The catacombs were sold out.

I feel on holidays there's the people that just get to show up and enjoy themselves, off the back of the people with the spreadsheets. The boyfriend with the train timetable is the partner with the spreadsheet who knows what time everything opens and closes, the girlfriend is the one who gets to be cutesy and order tiramisu

So I think I get it. It can be tiring to be the responsible one!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The times when I tend to be more rigid with scheduling is when having family visit me. Both my folks and my in-laws live in fairly rural areas and know jack poo poo about Los Angeles (or previously San Francisco). So I can ask them "What would you like to do?" and the answer will be :shrug:. So instead I just pack a schedule with stuff I know they'll enjoy. But even with that, I leave room for flexibility because I don't want them to be exhausted every day.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

So I think I get it. It can be tiring to be the responsible one!

It's exhausting constantly being told "Relax, everything will work out." when you are the one always ensuring it works out by taking care of everything.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There's just showing up and enjoying yourself and then there's actively trying to gently caress up the existing schedule.

I wonder what her plan was for missing that train and if her sick tiramisu photos were going to pay for a last minute hotel booking.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's exhausting constantly being told "Relax, everything will work out." when you are the one always ensuring it works out by taking care of everything.

High five, goon. I loving get this so hard lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no such thing as great tiramisu.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's no such thing as great tiramisu.

Because it's all inherently amazing, so the qualifier isn't needed, right?

(Star Wars face) Right?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rescue Toaster posted:

It's so goddamn true.

Bobstar posted:

Because it's all inherently amazing, so the qualifier isn't needed, right?
Tiramisu is the GOAT of desserts

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Desert Bus posted:

That "work" is one of my most fun and obsessive hobbies. I go completely psychotic and overboard about planning a trip, I spend hundreds of hours researching, making multiple itineraries with numerous spreadsheets and word documents, and create custom Google Earth .kml files organized into folders by day so the pins don't get too cluttered. And then during the trip I throw half of it out the window without regret because I know what I've created is actually impossible, but I just find it so much fun. Anything that got missed then gets jotted down in the "for next time" document.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

That "work" is one of my most fun and obsessive hobbies. I go completely psychotic and overboard about planning a trip, I spend hundreds of hours researching, making multiple itineraries with numerous spreadsheets and word documents, and create custom Google Earth .kml files organized into folders by day so the pins don't get too cluttered. And then during the trip I throw half of it out the window without regret because I know what I've created is actually impossible, but I just find it so much fun. Anything that got missed then gets jotted down in the "for next time" document.

I'm the same. But I'm also a late-diagnosed autistic. :negative:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mordiceius posted:

I'm the same. But I'm also a late-diagnosed autistic. :negative:

We're in the same club then lmao

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Would it surprise you to know that I left that comment as a trap specifically for you lol

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Sorry for the late reply about H2O2 but i have a story:

In the Navy i was fighting with a friend (all in fun) and I got a pretty bad cut on the back of my right hand. One of the boat's chemists happened to see this and said he's got "just the thing for that". Me, being stupid beyond all belief, followed him.

So as a bunch of mechanics were holding me down, the chemist brought out the 99.9% pure hydrogen peroxide. Eye dropper on my cut, instant foam. Cauterized immediately. It hurt, a LOT. I may have screamed. To this day, I (as a very freckled person) have that spot on my hand stark white compared to the rest.

The end, no moral

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Oh yeah, well my whole friends group is late diagnosed autistics and we collectively put together google sheets for our planned trips, so there. (This is actually true, though my competitive framing is a [hilarious] joke)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Desert Bus posted:

Would it surprise you to know that I left that comment as a trap specifically for you lol

Not in the slightest

mystes
May 31, 2006

My father spends so much time planning vacations that I wonder whether he actually needs to do the actual vacation part at the end

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't tell people when I have my Summer holiday because if I do, they'll ask me if I'm planning on travelling and I say no, they'll do something real stupid like starting a sentence with "In that case, could you".

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
what sort of stuff do you do on your holiday

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

what sort of stuff do you do on your holiday
relax?

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
My cousin and I are excellent traveling companions because in thanks for her doing most of the logistics for the trips I don't complain about poo poo. I'm lucky enough to be enjoying a lovely trip I did very little planning for, aside from submitting some sight seeing requests, I have absolutely no right to complain if plans don't work out or we can't see everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I was on vacation with friends, I picked up a pamphlet in the hotel lobby out of boredom. The theme of the pamphlet was "Oh, vacations are so stressful, you have to plan so many activities! Let us help!"

(The pictures were all, like, old people on bicycles, it wasn't about keeping your kids entertained.)

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

mystes posted:

My father spends so much time planning vacations that I wonder whether he actually needs to do the actual vacation part at the end

He needs a vacation from planning the vacation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another favorite genre, someone who has finally hit their limit when it comes to putting up with crap, and fires back with full receipts.

AITAH for telling my aunt in front of the entire family, that i do not want to get married early and end up with a pathetic life partner like her?

quote:

So i come from a culture where half the people get married early, and marry someone their family chooses for them. These days, it has become optional. Yet a lot of people stick to this kind of set up, and the older generations still consider it as ideal. My parents had an arranged marriage too, married at 24 and 22. I am a 23 year old girl, and my parents do everything in their power to get me top tier education, and help me build a good career to support myself financially (again, a very recent thing in my culture to support women being independent). They have never ever pushed me or even planted the seed of the idea of getting married in my head ever till date.

A little background about this aunt.

She is somewhere around 28. She married four years ago, and has a one year old child. She is well educated, and chose to be a stay at home mother. She likes it that way and i respect that. She too, married someone her parents chose for her. Now this man that she is married to, always gave me odd vibes. Like, he wasn't ever creepy in that way, but he just seemed like a lovely person always. He was partially dependent on my aunt's father financially, and never ever shied away from asking for huge financial favors either from my aunt's side of the family. He doesn't have a stable job and does not earn that well, so i guess i can not blame him for asking for help from people who are willing to help. But he is known to spend large amounts of his very little salary on his friends, which causes constant fights between him and my aunt. Recently however, he gambled with a malicious businessman over some sports match, The amount he gambled was HUGE. He fell face first into debt trap of this malicious businessman. The amount he lost in the gamble was 12 TIMES his monthly pay. He had no regard what so ever for his wife, and his toddler before making that kind of gamble, knowing full well that in the current salary the family was surviving pay cheque to pay cheque. My aunt's family completely denied to enable such bad habits and refused to help financially at all. All they were willing to do was to help support the kid by sending in groceries and baby products, BUT not money in any form. Which my aunt and her accepted. This also forced my aunt to leave her kid with her mother for extended durations while she works 12 hours a day to help pay off the debt. This too, makes them fight constantly, even in front of their kid and other family members who sometimes happen to visit them.

Given all that, this has been her condition for past 5 months now. Recently she came to visit us. It was like a family gathering. Ever since i turned 20, she has been bugging me to get married, and that it is the best decision a woman can make and what not. I have always told her politely , that i respect her decision to do so, and that i do not want to get married within next 10 years at all, and she should respect that and stop talking about it. I also told her that i want to choose my own partner, and not go for the arranged marriage set up. Yet she bring it up infront of everyone, almost putting me down for taking a decision out of social norms. At this point, anything we talk about at all revolves around how my decision to get married in my 30s is pathetic. She said things like "you would be too old for anyone by then, only leftovers would like you" or "how will you give him kids in 30s" and other weird things like that.

I just tolerated it until now.

This time she made lewd comments about me infront of everyone, i refused to take it. I said "I have been asking you to stop mentioning my life decisions day after day and yet you do not stop. I told you i will not get married before i am 30, and what did you get when you decided to marry so early and someone you didn't even choose? Arent you doing a severely underpaying job that you are over qualified for, with a gambler of a douchebag husband who doesnt give a singly flying f*ck about you or your child? Your married life is an example big enough to nope me out of the idea of arranged marriage single handedly."
:hellyeah:

quote:

She went pale, got up and left to the guest room. She left later that day without meeting me to say good bye. Everyone in the house at that time yelled at me to be so in sensitive, and not caring about her feelings in hard times. I am sorry and i do want to apologize. But sometimes the things that she says infront of everyone just fumes me up so much, that i just couldnt take it anymore.

I called her to apologize and she wouldnt pick up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cloacamazing! posted:

He needs a vacation from planning the vacation.
I guess when you put it like that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was on vacation with friends, I picked up a pamphlet in the hotel lobby out of boredom. The theme of the pamphlet was "Oh, vacations are so stressful, you have to plan so many activities! Let us help!"

(The pictures were all, like, old people on bicycles, it wasn't about keeping your kids entertained.)
This is a huge reason why cruises are so popular among oldsters.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vacation planning can be fun! I've got a trip to France next year to a small coastal city. Scouting the area in Google Maps and looking for restaurants, historical sites, and stuff I just gotta do is a lot of fun.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't tell people when I have my Summer holiday because if I do, they'll ask me if I'm planning on travelling and I say no, they'll do something real stupid like starting a sentence with "In that case, could you".

The first way I parsed this was the people were saying "could you [travel]," I genuinely thought you were saying people told you to go the gently caress away for a couple weeks until I reread it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

Another favorite genre, someone who has finally hit their limit when it comes to putting up with crap, and fires back with full receipts.

AITAH for telling my aunt in front of the entire family, that i do not want to get married early and end up with a pathetic life partner like her?

:hellyeah:
I really don't know why it's somehow considered okay to tell people that they need to get married when they don't want to.