Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Started fallout 4 on ps5, and man, I am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content. It seems I am almost constantly collecting junk and animal bits, taking them to my base at the gas station, crafting, going back out there, coming back, and so on. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I easily get distracted by busywork and was wondering how much of that is really necessary. Distress signals, radio signals, etc, are all taking a lot of time.

I guess I'm asking, is there a way to tell which quests are the 'main' story quests, and which ones are side quests? Don't get me wrong, I do want to chill and explore the lands, but I do want to progress in reasonable time. Do I really need to focus that much time on crafting, building settlements, and so on - or do weapons and skills organically come to you as you play the quests.

Are settlements important? Do I need to grow, maintain, babysit them? Or can I ignore that part.

Also, I am collecting power armour sets, but not really using them - probably because I don't want to bother with keeping batteries and repairing them. Are they really important at all?

you don't have to build up settlements, and especially if you're not playing on Survival mode. There are some benefits to doing so, but for the most part people who engage with the system do so because they like it for its own sake

essentially you can pick a spot, like Sanctuary, and then use its Workshop as an infinitely large and safe storage room, and Fast Travel back to it whenever you want to deposit / withdraw items that you left off

if you're not building up settlements, then the need to scoop up every last bit of junk is lessened by quite a bit, since then the main use for it would be to engage with crafting

if you're also not crafting either, then you don't even need to do that

basically, the game can be played on a spectrum of vacuuming every site dry and building a dragon's hoard of garbage on one end, and a super-lean survivalist mode of "only use what you can carry, nothing gets stored" on the other end, and you're free to engage with it however much you want in either direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Kaddish posted:

I just did a Daily Op and it was against aliens with freeze mutation. The Invaders could double tap me, I could take maybe 3 or 4 shots from the regular aliens. I died about 10 times before I quit. I could have managed it eventually but the Op seemed to go on and on.

Are they all like that? This was in regular Excavator PA.

This one was particularly hard. They are usually not that bad.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Kaddish posted:

I just did a Daily Op and it was against aliens with freeze mutation. The Invaders could double tap me, I could take maybe 3 or 4 shots from the regular aliens. I died about 10 times before I quit. I could have managed it eventually but the Op seemed to go on and on.

This one was an especially brutal combo. A lot of them are pretty plausible to solo with a decent build as long as you don’t care about hitting the sub-8 minute mark, but this one was pretty far up on the difficult side.

Even the legendary perk that absorbs energy damage for health + core recharge occasionally couldn’t hold up to them hitting like a truck and freezing without a group to spread the hurt in my experience.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
christ the inventory management part of the game is no joke when you go between invaders, cultists, scorchbeast, and eviction notice events. first time i've maxed out scrip trade, and i keep hitting cap limit from just selling circuits and antiseptic. all in an hour or two of gameplay then a whole rear end two hours to sort my poo poo

also not sure where y'all are workbenching but holy hell whitesprings mall, had this dude just drop a ton of plans for PA including quite a few ultracite plans

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My main goal in FO76 is to have the prettiest camp of all. Are there particular events better for CAMP plans?

Right now, I'm just grinding out the Invasion event for the limited plans.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Booty Pageant posted:

christ the inventory management part of the game is no joke when you go between invaders, cultists, scorchbeast, and eviction notice events. first time i've maxed out scrip trade, and i keep hitting cap limit from just selling circuits and antiseptic. all in an hour or two of gameplay then a whole rear end two hours to sort my poo poo

also not sure where y'all are workbenching but holy hell whitesprings mall, had this dude just drop a ton of plans for PA including quite a few ultracite plans

always check out any bags in artisans corner because people don't want to fast travel back to the refuge entrance to drop poo poo in the donation box.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

you don't have to build up settlements, and especially if you're not playing on Survival mode. There are some benefits to doing so, but for the most part people who engage with the system do so because they like it for its own sake

essentially you can pick a spot, like Sanctuary, and then use its Workshop as an infinitely large and safe storage room, and Fast Travel back to it whenever you want to deposit / withdraw items that you left off

if you're not building up settlements, then the need to scoop up every last bit of junk is lessened by quite a bit, since then the main use for it would be to engage with crafting

if you're also not crafting either, then you don't even need to do that

basically, the game can be played on a spectrum of vacuuming every site dry and building a dragon's hoard of garbage on one end, and a super-lean survivalist mode of "only use what you can carry, nothing gets stored" on the other end, and you're free to engage with it however much you want in either direction

That's a relief, thank you. Seems like a fantastic game, and I really like it, but also glad to see that I don't have to go too deep into it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

The aliens also had armor piercing so that one seemed designed to mess with PA builds in particular. The Op the day before was much, much easier.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah I've gone to talk to her times and she just says I should join her for dinner sometime. That's what I'm trying to do, Esme!!

Ah, now I remember. They did patch out the requirement for the Ultracite Battery so you don't have to do the dailies to go on Expeditions anymore.
When they did that they also, for some reason, changed how the Whitesprings dailies work.
Esme, Rucker, Skippy and, maybe Sophie but I'm not sure about her, all get a chance to trigger but only 1 will get their turn for the day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

My main goal in FO76 is to have the prettiest camp of all. Are there particular events better for CAMP plans?

Right now, I'm just grinding out the Invasion event for the limited plans.

You get a plan every time you take over a workshop and every time you defend one.

If you have the subscription, you can go to a private server and just take ALL the workshops and then run between them doing the defense events.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I bought FallOut New Vegas and 4 on steam sale when both were super cheap, because of the TV series and before that the only Fall Out game I ever played was 3 way back when.

I started with New Vegas, and was having a good time despite the jank and occasional crashes. I installed a few of the bug fix mods from Viva New Vegas (I used vortex tho because it just seemed easier) and the first 10 hours or so were fine, other than the occasional crash. Then all of sudden the game locked up, the screen went black, and I had to alt-tab and close out the game in task manager. Ever since then all of my saves refuse to load, and even starting a new game crashes the game.

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, deleted all the mods, reinstall without the mods, tried different directories, updated my graphics drivers (I have an AMD 6750xt)....nothing. It's like the game just suddenly out of no where decided it doesn't like my PC. Has anyone else experienced this?

Out of frustration I did start up Fall Out 4 though - running vanilla no mods and it seems to run fine. Had to set my screen refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz to get the game to play at 60fps otherwise it was locked at 48pfs for some weird reason.
I'm only about two hours in so I can't compare it to New Vegas but it is prettier and the gun combat is much more satisfying so it has that going for it. Also the voice acting isn't bad and it seems the inventory system has been cleaned up a bit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Using Vortex for a game with mature Mod Organizer 2 support is your first mistake. People hammer away at using MO2 because it doesn’t gently caress your games over.

Your second mistake was looking at the bug fixes page on Viva New Vegas and missing the part at the bottom where it says current AMD drivers do not support New Vegas at all and you must install DXVK: https://performance.moddinglinked.com/falloutnv.html

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kaddish posted:

Some op gimmicks favor particular builds or are stacked against certain builds, e.g. the ones that see through stealth or require melee to finish or they all have chameleon (immune to VATS targeting). The ones where they hit super hard/have some bullshit like chill are intended for you to have a stealth build, Initiate Dodge is on the speakers telling you this normally.

Paying2Lurk posted:

The aliens also had armor piercing so that one seemed designed to mess with PA builds in particular. The Op the day before was much, much easier.

yeah that gimmick in particular is supposed to push you to use a stealth build.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Megazver posted:

You get a plan every time you take over a workshop and every time you defend one.

If you have the subscription, you can go to a private server and just take ALL the workshops and then run between them doing the defense events.

Wow, I didn’t know this. I knew about getting power plan upgrades for power plants but didn’t know you get general camp plans for workshops. I know what I’m doing later!

Flesh Forge posted:

Some op gimmicks favor particular builds or are stacked against certain builds, e.g. the ones that see through stealth or require melee to finish or they all have chameleon (immune to VATS targeting). The ones where they hit super hard/have some bullshit like chill are intended for you to have a stealth build, Initiate Dodge is on the speakers telling you this normally.

yeah that gimmick in particular is supposed to push you to use a stealth build.

Got it, thanks for the tips everyone.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Megazver posted:

Nice, anyone know if the rewards are from the same pool of plans that are on the vendors? Or does it include previous event plans as drops?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arivia posted:

Using Vortex for a game with mature Mod Organizer 2 support is your first mistake. People hammer away at using MO2 because it doesn’t gently caress your games over.

Your second mistake was looking at the bug fixes page on Viva New Vegas and missing the part at the bottom where it says current AMD drivers do not support New Vegas at all and you must install DXVK: https://performance.moddinglinked.com/falloutnv.html

I used DXVK and still had the same issue - the AMD drivers did work but it was a previous release, from December. I watched far too many youtube-how-tos in addition to the Viva guide to get the game to work, and even then I didn't install all the mods, just a handful of the bug fixes, because the first time I did this I did use Mod Manager and installed ever recommended mod but experienced instability.

In any case, the game was working fine for 10 hours before it just decided not too. Perhaps a Windows update broke it, idk. All I know is, unless there is some easy fix I'm going to have to give up on New Vegas for now because I only get a handful of hours to play games a week and unfortunately can't spend that time trying to get a 10+ year old game to work no matter how good it is.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man in 5 years we’re going to have to run games made before 2015 in a new sort of DOSBOX aren’t we

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

F76: So I did a bunch of Expeditions yesterday and when I wrapped up and did a little inventory I had 45 or so legendary modules :stare:
really don't understand why more people don't do these

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I managed to solo yesterdays daily op with my sneaky poo poo leaver action rifle build and it was doable but if the aliens actually managed to detect me I would just crumple instantly. Less than fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flesh Forge posted:

F76: So I did a bunch of Expeditions yesterday and when I wrapped up and did a little inventory I had 45 or so legendary modules :stare:
really don't understand why more people don't do these

They are good. I maxxed out up my empty holy fire in 25 mins

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I actually got two good mutations yesterday - Marsupial and Electrically Charged - while running around a nuke zone. Came back to camp and switched to my crafting loadout, did all my crafting / repairing, then went "Oh I should heal the radiation." My crafting loadout doesn't have Starched Genes :doh:

And I guess I'll try some AC expeditions. As long as I don't have to find any drat posion gas tanks. Was going to wait until I had a decent Flame Chainsaw or Cremator for the Overgrown trophy but eh, gotta build up those Legendary stores for the Unyielding armor attempts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found a player selling marsupial for 600 caps. Best 600 I’ve ever spent.

Love 2 bound

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I used DXVK and still had the same issue - the AMD drivers did work but it was a previous release, from December. I watched far too many youtube-how-tos in addition to the Viva guide to get the game to work, and even then I didn't install all the mods, just a handful of the bug fixes, because the first time I did this I did use Mod Manager and installed ever recommended mod but experienced instability.

In any case, the game was working fine for 10 hours before it just decided not too. Perhaps a Windows update broke it, idk. All I know is, unless there is some easy fix I'm going to have to give up on New Vegas for now because I only get a handful of hours to play games a week and unfortunately can't spend that time trying to get a 10+ year old game to work no matter how good it is.

not installing all the bug fixes in the infamously buggy game, then having problems with the game bugging out. i wonder what the problem is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poo Vegas

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just found someone selling every serum 100 caps each. I looked at this plans first and they were all thousands each and lol'd. Then saw the serums.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Todays daily op was definitely soloable below 8 min! Too bad 2mm EC drops are so broken you still take an ammo loss with the gauss minigun.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

I actually got two good mutations yesterday - Marsupial and Electrically Charged - while running around a nuke zone. Came back to camp and switched to my crafting loadout, did all my crafting / repairing, then went "Oh I should heal the radiation." My crafting loadout doesn't have Starched Genes :doh:

I loved my small camp right across the Grafton railway station.
Just take a dip in the deepest part of the poisoned river there to get all the rads/mutations you need.
Although it's much more convenient to shop them, either from players or (much more expensive) from the Enclave vendor after you gain entrance

Just be wary, the area between the station and the farms across are a spawning ground for big bad things.
It was not uncommon to come back to camp, and find the legendary Blue Devil duking it out with Enclave vertibirds right in my vegetable garden :unsmith:

The river is perfect to plop down 5 or so industrial fuckoff water purifiers otoh.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 9, 2024

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone have experience with running the F76 hi-res mods on a 3070 8GB?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

V7M6YDXF44CWF7QXVJF93WPCZ

This should get you Fallout 76 on xbox, please quote it if you use it

TFDGC-2W4KY-PJYWW-99GWC-979RZ

Fallout 76 for Microsoft store (W10/11)

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 12, 2024

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arivia posted:

not installing all the bug fixes in the infamously buggy game, then having problems with the game bugging out. i wonder what the problem is.

I did install all the bug fixes and used mod manager as the guide said and DKVX and lord knows everything else in that guide (and said so in my post) but still experienced instability.

I also did a clean install, but it still instant crashes even without all the mods installed, in a clean install, something it probably shouldn't do, but I appreciate the help so you expertly, calmly, and clearly provided.

Anyway for anyone else who actually cares, its most likely something with AMD. The game was working fine, maybe I received some Windows update that updated a driver I don't know. But from what I've read AMD users just have far more problems than those with Nvidia cards so I'm giving up and just focusing on FO4.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Todays daily op was definitely soloable below 8 min! Too bad 2mm EC drops are so broken you still take an ammo loss with the gauss minigun.

it's weird how the default is now everyone has plenty of ammo for almost every gun except for a couple :confuoot:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I went on my first expedition to Atlantic City and there seemed to be nothing to do there? I went to the community center and killed a bunch of the plant monsters but never found out what exactly I was supposed to be doing there. Is there a quest I should be taking before going there or am I just missing where all da quests at?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You should get a mission contact and compass pointers and all that poo poo, that's never happened that way for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flesh Forge posted:

You should get a mission contact and compass pointers and all that poo poo, that's never happened that way for me.

I think I was supposed to go to The Pitt but I said screw it and went to AC so maybe that's on me for sequence breaking.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

You can visit The Pitt or AC any time you want - this is different than starting an Expedition there though. You need to physically select Launch Expedition on that screen or whatever the wording is.

You need to be a group leader to launch an expedition.

If you load in inside a Vertibird, you've done it right.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

You need to be a group leader to launch an expedition.

Ah this might have been it. I was definitely not group leader so I guess i just went for the fun of it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The first few times doing an expedition can be a little annoying, because a lot of the side missions are things like 'find and hack 4 terminals' or whatever and there are like 10 possible spawn points for them. Eventually you learn the spawn points and it is no big deal, but my first time doing 'Tax Evasion' it took me a long time to finmd the last terminal (it was on the stage). At least in Tax Evasion only the first part of the mission, which is one of three different objectives is timed (beating the timer is a bonus objective).

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

explosivo posted:

Ah this might have been it. I was definitely not group leader so I guess i just went for the fun of it.

AC is weird because there are story areas there too that you go for for quests. When I chose it solo, I had the option of just going to an area or starting an expedition. The Pitt doesn't give you those options, it's just expeditions.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Raider collectron is in the shop now. It's my second favorite one next to the communist collectron. Oh looks like they are in a bundle together too for 50% off.

Both of them are pretty funny and I like having them around my camp. Just FYI you can set your collectron to 'collect' anything you've unlocked and keep whichever one you like the best active (so you can have your raider collectron collecting nuka colas or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Paying2Lurk posted:

AC is weird because there are story areas there too that you go for for quests. When I chose it solo, I had the option of just going to an area or starting an expedition. The Pitt doesn't give you those options, it's just expeditions.

The two main areas of Pitt do seem to be a sngle map, it's all fully populated with stuff