Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah and sometimes they do the epidural and gently caress it up three times over the course of 8 hours and relief only comes right when you need to do the emergency c-section…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ok anecdotally mine went great that's all. Ymmv

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

There's a pregnancy thread that might have more conversation in-line with what you want. Come here later, when you are questioning your decision to get pregnant after the 20th consecutive week of colds.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

Will do, danke.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
That does presuppose your epidural works as intended. I had a hotspot that wouldn't go away with my first until they hella upped the dose to use the forceps. Same thing with #2 except I complained earlier on and they brought out better drugs. It was great for after when the midwife was wrist deep in my uterus making sure all the placenta was out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not really sure how the OP proposes to prevent tearing during birth - it's something that can and does happen, and there's also the potential need for an episiotomy.

My wife ended up needing an episiotomy for KG3. With the epidural it did not bother her in the least at the time. Recovery was not too bad. She would recommend post-birth PT if your insurance covers it / you can afford it out of pocket.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to JD on scrubs, 70% of births have some tearing, which is a fictional TV show but I suspect that fact has some grounding in reality

We've only done one, but the c section was nice because we could schedule it, there was no surprise, it was a circled date on the calendar

Wife needed about a week to "recover" where are was walking around to some small extent. We were in San Francisco which had lockdown so it's not like we had anywhere to go, so that might have had an impact. I don't think we left the house for three months except to go on doctors appointments and get groceries typically. Probably 3 weeks before she was significantly better

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 8, 2024

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

For our first child they were trying to give my wife an epidural but her contractions were too intense and she couldn't stay still enough, ended up pushing and baby came out an hour later.

For our second child, wife's water broke at 2AM, got to the hospital at 3:30, baby was born at 4:11. She didn't even have time to get an IV much less an epidural.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not really sure how the OP proposes to prevent tearing during birth - it's something that can and does happen, and there's also the potential need for an episiotomy.

My wife ended up needing an episiotomy for KG3. With the epidural it did not bother her in the least at the time. Recovery was not too bad. She would recommend post-birth PT if your insurance covers it / you can afford it out of pocket.

My initial guess is that he was talking about fisting and it turns out I was correct lol

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

illcendiary posted:

My initial guess is that he was talking about fisting and it turns out I was correct lol

Just trying to build confidence, people can get through most anything if they believe they can.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Supposedly perineal massage can help some, or at least I've heard it recommended.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Emily Spinach posted:

Supposedly perineal massage can help some, or at least I've heard it recommended.

We tried it but my wife was too distracted by her contractions to really give my perineum the attention it needed

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

When the kids negotiate with us for treats or screen time or whatever we ask them, “where are you going to get your MBA?”

My wife just got told, “from you, mom!”

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Emily Spinach posted:

Maybe you’re thinking of the Finnish Intervention?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4577972/

It seems to be somewhat useful.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Just rip my rear end in a top hat open again but then let me sleep for 8 uninterrupted hours every night.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Just rip my rear end in a top hat open again but then let me sleep for 8 uninterrupted hours every night.

When we had our first, we both had to watch the 'don't shake the baby' movie before we could leave the hospital.

When I was watching it, I was thinking "Who the gently caress would shake their baby?"

Fast forward four weeks, its 12:30 AM, baby has been crying non stop for three hours, nothing I am doing is helping....I came drat close I'm ashamed to admit.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cimber posted:

When we had our first, we both had to watch the 'don't shake the baby' movie before we could leave the hospital.

When I was watching it, I was thinking "Who the gently caress would shake their baby?"

Fast forward four weeks, its 12:30 AM, baby has been crying non stop for three hours, nothing I am doing is helping....I came drat close I'm ashamed to admit.

One of my friends told me before we had our son "you should never ever shake a baby, but you will fully understand why people do"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

One of my friends told me before we had our son "you should never ever shake a baby, but you will fully understand why people do"

What my wife and I did was split baby duties during the night, since I was going to work and she was on leave (yay no paternity leave, USA USA USA!). I would have duty from 9 PM to 3 AM, and she would have duty from 3 AM until 9 PM.

That night I was at my wits end I actually had to get out of the room before I did something I regretted. I went and woke her up and said "You need to take over right now." She understood.

A few weeks later she woke me up at 4 AM with the same wild eyed look her face.

Colic is a bitch.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m at the same place with spanking. I’m never going to, but last night my son threw a toy metal car at my face and I had to tag in my wife in so I could breathe and not start screaming at him.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

G-Spot Run posted:

new thread title

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah but then after you think "ok I understand now" your brain keeps rolling and you think about shaken babies and you want to cry and do violence to anyone who shakes a baby. Christ, I'm tearing up right now and I don't even have the sleep deprivation excuse these days.

I think it was our Mayo Clinic pregnancy/infant book that said something like, if you're out at the end of your rope, better to put the baby in the crib/bassinet and walk out of the room, even if he's screaming.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think it was our Mayo Clinic pregnancy/infant book that said something like, if you're out at the end of your rope, better to put the baby in the crib/bassinet and walk out of the room, even if he's screaming.

Early sleep training practice! Or is it called sleep teaching now

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem with that shaken baby video is that nobody actually shakes their baby on purpose anymore, at this point everybody knows that it's bad. It's usually an accident that happens when you're frustrated and you're doing something like rocking them way too hard or generally manhandling them.

Just putting baby down and walking away is excellent advice.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also my baby is starting to feel a lot better so I'm taking bets on who's the next to get sick.

My money's on my wife, because this Friday is her last day of work before taking her last month of FMLA leave and the universe has decreed that we can't have nice things. Her plan is to completely isolate the whole family so we can not be sick for more than a few days at once, so there's no way this is going to go as planned.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was so afraid of shaking my son at first when he was a baby that i was even extremely gentle when rocking him. i guess i didnt realize the force you had to do it at to actually hurt one lol.

putting them down (or now that he's older just putting him in his room) is sometimes the best move. they'll be okay!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

That night I was at my wits end I actually had to get out of the room before I did something I regretted. I went and woke her up and said "You need to take over right now." She understood.

Quoting for posterity

For anyone peeking in here from the pregnancy thread, this will happen to you at some point, this is the correct solution

Sleep deprivation is a real bitch

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
On the subject of losing one’s cool, my son is nearly 3.5 and I almost never raised my voice or lost my temper with him until he turned 3. Goddamn is 3 a rough age. I still refuse to yell at him though. I will not raise my son in the same environment I grew up in. I am so grateful that my husband is such a great partner that can step in when I’m overwhelmed.

Forgive me if I mentioned this before, but when my son was about 1 my dad asked me to have a beer with him and said poo poo like “if you don’t hit him, he won’t turn out normal. He’ll rule the roost.” I was furious at the time, but now whenever my son is being willful my husband and I joke that he’s “ruling the roost” lol.

Now that I have child, I can’t fathom how someone could strike their children the way that I was stuck. It’s absolutely horrifying to contemplate and has driven me even further away from my father.

Whew, that turned into a bit of a rant.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

remigious posted:

On the subject of losing one’s cool, my son is nearly 3.5 and I almost never raised my voice or lost my temper with him until he turned 3. Goddamn is 3 a rough age. I still refuse to yell at him though. I will not raise my son in the same environment I grew up in. I am so grateful that my husband is such a great partner that can step in when I’m overwhelmed.

Forgive me if I mentioned this before, but when my son was about 1 my dad asked me to have a beer with him and said poo poo like “if you don’t hit him, he won’t turn out normal. He’ll rule the roost.” I was furious at the time, but now whenever my son is being willful my husband and I joke that he’s “ruling the roost” lol.

Now that I have child, I can’t fathom how someone could strike their children the way that I was stuck. It’s absolutely horrifying to contemplate and has driven me even further away from my father.

Whew, that turned into a bit of a rant.

we never had the terrible twos with my son but the threenager stage was so real with him

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Everyone says two is 'terrible'. I disagree. I found two manageable. Three was much worse than two. Two they are just exploring. Three they have intent and they are pushing boundaries. Setting those boundaries early and STICKING TOO THEM is so important at that age.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Cimber posted:

Everyone says two is 'terrible'. I disagree. I found two manageable. Three was much worse than two. Two they are just exploring. Three they have intent and they are pushing boundaries. Setting those boundaries early and STICKING TOO THEM is so important at that age.

Yeah, one of the things I struggle with the most is not just giving into demands because it’s the easy thing to do. I need to do the hard thing and stick to the boundaries.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me: it's 8:30 time for bed. Remember at 8 I said this was the last episode? Let's read one book and then it's bedtime

vs

Wife: oh, just 5 more minutes of TV? Ok (repeat endlessly)
Me: Mrs hadlock it's 10:30pm she's 3 and it's a school night :wtc:
Kiddo: just 5 more minutes, please?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Me: it's 8:30 time for bed. Remember at 8 I said this was the last episode? Let's read one book and then it's bedtime

vs

Wife: oh, just 5 more minutes of TV? Ok (repeat endlessly)
Me: Mrs hadlock it's 10:30pm she's 3 and it's a school night :wtc:
Kiddo: just 5 more minutes, please?

i feel this one lol

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
time blindness is a heck of a thing when taking care of the kiddos. playing outside with the neighbors because the weather is finally nice but forgetting we haven't even started dinner yet and its 5:50.

break out the nuggets (and take out for the parents)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nybble posted:

time blindness is a heck of a thing when taking care of the kiddos. playing outside with the neighbors because the weather is finally nice but forgetting we haven't even started dinner yet and its 5:50.

break out the nuggets (and take out for the parents)

Yesterday I wanted to go for a walk after dinner. By the time we got the newborn and toddler in the stroller it was already 7:30. Then the toddler wanted to hit the playground. Got back at 8:30 (bedtime) but still had to do bathtime and snack and brush teeth so bedtime was really late. Plus the walk (that he ran most of) gave him more energy rather than less so he stayed up fidgeting in bed until 10:00PM anyway.

He woke up at 7:30 this morning furious that he had to go to school. 25 minute tantrum. By the time I got him to his classroom he happily went in to play with his friends without a second look at me.

I still haven’t gotten the newborn used to the Snoo motion. Did I just spend $150/mo to have a fancy analog bassinet with all smart features turned off? *clownmakeup.meme*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Every age is the new worst age.

I hate that my older is 5. He's too smart. And he had some kind of weird rear end self awareness awakening where he's not my tiny little baby anymore but rather a small human and I fuckin hate it

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Our daughter has always been garbage at sleeping but it's gotten worse and we're being run ragged. She just turned 20 months, and has started this horrifying new habit of waking up about 11:30 to midnight and just being pissed off for about two hours straight. She doesn't want to be held, she doesn't want to be sung to, she doesn't even want to turn the lights on and run around. She wants to fling herself onto the nearest surface and scream angrily until she's tired enough to listen to music and finally go to bed. She's done this the past three nights in a row and I can see my wife get more deranged before my eyes. Anyone else had anything like this with their kids?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

honestly if no form of intervention is helping i think it's okay to just let her cry it out. obviously that won't help with getting more sleep but at least you don't need to frustrate yourself trying to calm a child who doesn't want to be calm.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

space uncle posted:

I still haven’t gotten the newborn used to the Snoo motion. Did I just spend $150/mo to have a fancy analog bassinet with all smart features turned off? *clownmakeup.meme*

Did your first kid use it?

We loved it for our first, but it was only good as a “stay asleep” machine. Our newborn now is really taking to it and rocks her to sleep. The biggest thing this time around is keeping the white noise very low.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nybble posted:

Did your first kid use it?

We loved it for our first, but it was only good as a “stay asleep” machine. Our newborn now is really taking to it and rocks her to sleep. The biggest thing this time around is keeping the white noise very low.

No we just used a cheapo bassinet with first kid. But he loved to sleep in his swing.

I’ll keep trying it. We have a separate white noise machine going already, so I think it’s just the motion.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

honestly if no form of intervention is helping i think it's okay to just let her cry it out. obviously that won't help with getting more sleep but at least you don't need to frustrate yourself trying to calm a child who doesn't want to be calm.

You might be right as far as the child is concerned, but sometimes mom can't necessarily handle listening to 2 hours of screaming from the next room while doing nothing... even if she can intellectually agree that it's the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
sure, you gotta get aligned on that and that is a big challenge