Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Re: sasquatch, I've shared it here before but this episode of Candaland on the connection between the indigenous peoples of BC and Sas'qets is required listening imo https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/816-the-true-story-of-sasquatch/

I'm going to watch the Les Stroud series, just looking briefly at it I see Klemtu mentioned; well just southeast of Klemtu is Bella Bella, home of the Heiltsuk peoples, and I was very close with a woman from there who shared some stories with me in confidence. They have been there 15000 years or so and have ceremonial practices associated with sasquatch and her stories were quite convincing for me. basically, there is a spiritual element associated with encounters with sasquatch that most people are ignorant of but are taken very seriously by the indigenous peoples of that part of BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hatebag posted:

that would be funny if humans were created to make earth into a ufo gas station

british empire meeting indigenous peoples, just to colonize them and setup a coaling station

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I absolutely have no trouble believing in the samsquatch, Patterson-gimlin is real etc

astonishing legends did a great deep dive on the latter imo, once you get past their “banter” anyway

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hooplah posted:

maybe it's silly of me but i fully believe les stroud when he talks about the weird poo poo he sees/hears in the woods. been watching and admiring his output since survivorman's original run on cable and i just won't believe his interest in bigfoot is purely clout-based. he's too cheesy and authentic and has too much experience being alone in desolate places. if anyone is worth listening to when it comes to personal experiences like this it's him imo. his bigfoot series is on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdteC6yMLFp1_3hGoPWt1MklFJ2x7j-Bd

there's also bob gymlan whom i have a soft spot for. start with his older videos as his newer stuff is kinda scraping the dregs of whatever latest footage piques his interest. also he lost his animator recently which i feel had an effect on his output.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVPvKc3b_tjIk0qji7kSIa1RbnUEx2wQJ

Nah it's not silly. Dude is legit and one of the least brain poisoned "celebrities" to ever have a TV show. I believe any personal story he tells as accurate to the best of his abilities and he doesn't claim hard conclusions just what he personally experienced and then possibilities for what it could be. He is an awesome dude with vastly more experience in the remote outdoors then 99.99% of westerners. I have always been a big Les stan. Dude is awesome.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

When it comes to Bigfoot I do find it hard to believe a large hominid could exist without hard evidence in 90% of the places sightings take place. There are some remote areas where I believe it could be possible but you have sightings etc in a lot of areas if just wouldn't be possible imo. At the same time though the sightings in all areas are pretty consistent and go back a very long time. It makes me reconsider the possibility that there is some woo involved in whatever bigfoot actually is and it's not a strictly natural creature because otherwise I don't see how it could exist in like New Jersey or whatever. There are even more crazies and grifters involved in the space than birds though so it's hard to really nail down what's going on.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bigfoot is an interdimensional traveler/species and Earth is a dope vacation spot for them that is also dangerous, so they come in private and try to stay away from civilization as much as possible. I made this theory up just now and you can't prove me wrong :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think yeah it does not exist as a “normal” creature like a pig or a bear or a human. there would be a fossil record and like way more encounters and bodies and so on

spiritual creature ? 100%

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

When it comes to Bigfoot I do find it hard to believe a large hominid could exist without hard evidence in 90% of the places sightings take place. There are some remote areas where I believe it could be possible but you have sightings etc in a lot of areas if just wouldn't be possible imo. At the same time though the sightings in all areas are pretty consistent and go back a very long time. It makes me reconsider the possibility that there is some woo involved in whatever bigfoot actually is and it's not a strictly natural creature because otherwise I don't see how it could exist in like New Jersey or whatever. There are even more crazies and grifters involved in the space than birds though so it's hard to really nail down what's going on.

I agree, it is much more believable in areas like northern BC and the Yukon; go on google earth and fly around the satellite images of these areas and there are vast stretches of mountainous, heavily forested land that people have not logged or really spent any time in at all. You can correlate areas that would be possible sasquatch habitat with maps like these showing intact watersheds and old growth forests https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/forestry/managing-our-forest-resources/old-growth-forests/old-growth-maps

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bigfoot is known as Sabe in Ojibwe culture and delivers the teaching of honesty.

They are connected to the spirit world and are not physical.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of the sightings could be Hanuman sightings (especially those of the Himalayan yeti). Ram allowed him to stay alive on the planet until the end of Kaliyuga or as long as the name of Ram is still spoken. He is one of the Chiranjivi, or earthly immortals.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WEH posted:

I absolutely have no trouble believing in the samsquatch, Patterson-gimlin is real etc

astonishing legends did a great deep dive on the latter imo, once you get past their “banter” anyway

It's really worth listening to, but the basic assertion is that the makeup and special effects necessary to do what is seen in the Patterson Gimlin film is on par with what was seen in The Wolfen and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which cost six figures and could only have been done by a few Hollywood people with very specialized skills. In contrast, the camera it was shot on was rented because the guy (I forget if it was Patterson or Gimlin) couldn't afford a couple grand for a camera of his own.

So for it to be a fake (and I think it is very likely a fake), one needs to explain how a perpetually broke Bigfoot hunter produced special effects or costumes on par with the best of Hollywood at the time. That obviously does not preclude a fake, but it does require some variety of larger conspiracy with some deep pocketed backer who funded it for unknown reasons.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbell/status/1768052724158152720

these are old tweets, but brought up because the grusch arrest stuff

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Carp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LoXCl7drQ

I may have posted it before without comment. If you take the time to watch, do you feel something similar, that this old mysticism has the shape of an experience of yours?

I ain't gonna watch this thing but one time I was privileged to be at a teaching from the head of the Drikung Kagyu Tibetan Buddhist lineage. There was a Sufi guy who was visiting just to check the thing out and Rinpoche invited him back for a semi-private audience. The Sufi guy kept saying that it was obvious that we had contact with the divine and Rinpoche just kept insisting that Sufis were crypto-Buddhists and their back and forth was both motivated by pure love and respect and also mutual teasing, poo poo was great.

Anyhow that's my Sufi story and now every time I encounter mystics in other religions I just think of them as crypto-Buddhists

Not to be confused with cryptid Buddhists like idk nagas I guess and yeti

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

helta posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbell/status/1768052724158152720

these are old tweets, but brought up because the grusch arrest stuff

lmao loving show the interviews then

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LuckyCat posted:

Bigfoot is an interdimensional traveler/species and Earth is a dope vacation spot for them that is also dangerous, so they come in private and try to stay away from civilization as much as possible. I made this theory up just now and you can't prove me wrong :colbert:

This but there's more than one type of bigfoot

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mediaphage posted:

lmao loving show the interviews then

I'm laughing with all my first hand whistleblowers just out of frame

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Azathoth posted:

It's really worth listening to, but the basic assertion is that the makeup and special effects necessary to do what is seen in the Patterson Gimlin film is on par with what was seen in The Wolfen and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which cost six figures and could only have been done by a few Hollywood people with very specialized skills. In contrast, the camera it was shot on was rented because the guy (I forget if it was Patterson or Gimlin) couldn't afford a couple grand for a camera of his own.

So for it to be a fake (and I think it is very likely a fake), one needs to explain how a perpetually broke Bigfoot hunter produced special effects or costumes on par with the best of Hollywood at the time. That obviously does not preclude a fake, but it does require some variety of larger conspiracy with some deep pocketed backer who funded it for unknown reasons.

That's the one with big obvious tits, right?

The reasons are known.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

That's the one with big obvious tits, right?

The reasons are known.

yeah, most commentators ignore it but yeah the Bigfoot in the Patterson Gimlin film has big naturals

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I have always felt we can make some easy extrapolations on the private funders predilections from that one simple fact

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

I have always felt we can make some easy extrapolations on the private funders predilections from that one simple fact

don't doxx me

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1788630059848434084

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/natesiggard/status/1788614742560604571

bahhh another!
https://twitter.com/SunWeatherMan/status/1788628646606815273

and another
https://twitter.com/theauroraguy/status/1788499379432857809

helta has issued a correction as of 19:33 on May 9, 2024

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

for a second i misread this as GRBs and had a second of "huh. okay i guess this may be it"

as if we'd be able to forecast those

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol garry nolan continues to come across as a sassy lil bitch

dope

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

although lol at his drama "10% chance this destroys our technological civilization" yeah ok

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

mediaphage posted:

although lol at his drama "10% chance this destroys our technological civilization" yeah ok

god i hope and pray for this tho

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mediaphage posted:

another Carrington event would seriously gently caress up a whole lot of poo poo for a good long time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was a teenage cryptid sex slave

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fausty posted:

god i hope and pray for this tho

:pray:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

you're gonna be mad when you can't post on Saturday though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

another Carrington event would seriously gently caress up a whole lot of poo poo for a good long time.

probably but this isn’t that it looks like

mdemone posted:

you're gonna be mad when you can't post on Saturday though

very incorrect

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wrong. I'll be mad when I can't post on Monday, at my job at the post factory.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

WEH posted:

I've listened to the first two parts and am deeply unimpressed so far, they spend a ton of time completely speculating about "well if hoax, why did they do this, it doesn't make sense" and then just kinda act like that must be what's true. And write off all criticism of Patterson as a known fraudster as "well he doesn't seem like that to me."

Outside of the video itself the weight of evidence in favor of a hoax is tremendous. That Patterson himself drew a picture of a big titty bigfoot is kinda the smoking gun for me.

The video, idk, always just looked like a guy in a suit to me.

Maybe in 30 hours when I've finished the series they will have convinced me

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
https://twitter.com/admpubmx/status/1787311649432453125

enjoying the gif

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

mediaphage posted:

in the next tweet down on his timeline he's asking what to do about his nephew who just had a seizure from the vaccine. lmao. a very reliable evaluation of the situation. lmao

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Carp posted:

I apologize for the spiritual detour, but in small ways, I've tried to update this thread with my progress past depression into exploring existence. Some of what is described in the following video is familiar to me. It matches experiences I've had that are hard to explain. My depression fix is one of them, where I was able to disassociate completely and realize that my persona, my ego, is just a tool. It is not my true being, which emanates from the greater whole that we all have in common. Sufis, Buddhists, Hasidim, and many others discuss similar connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LoXCl7drQ

I may have posted it before without comment. If you take the time to watch, do you feel something similar, that this old mysticism has the shape of an experience of yours?

I've also been in one of my mystical upswings and reading / listening to / studying Richard Rose some more. I've posted about him before in this thread. There isn't a lot of information about him on the internet but with some digging I've found some of his talks and interviews with his students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_FWhVTDZtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Zd6QRfGw8

As usual when I get in this state of mind it feels like I'm face-to-face with the mystery, I feel on the edge of something. The feeling ebbs and flows. Rose is the clearest, most straightforward, least compromising teacher I've found. It's plain and to the point.

Coincidentally now I'm not a Joe Rogan listener. I was watching the recent Graham Hancock debate and it led me to this clip of Joe interviewing some guy I never heard about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3iJoG5gS0

and I want to shake this guy and say YES! I know exactly what you are talking about, I've been there! I know that feeling of it becoming too much at times. Yes we are just in God's imagination. And this poor shmuck is trying to explain these states to Joe who is confused he's not just talking about trippy visuals.

Rickshaw has issued a correction as of 20:57 on May 9, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Ok I watched them all and they're all varying shades of interesting (the San Antonio one is probably the other really good one) but don't sleep on this one, it's pretty amazing

yeah this one is cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

in the next tweet down on his timeline he's asking what to do about his nephew who just had a seizure from the vaccine. lmao. a very reliable evaluation of the situation. lmao

hoo boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Winkle-Daddy posted:

If this is the same guy I used to follow on youtube (sounds like him) then he's an electric universe crank and his interest in space weather is that he thinks it causes earthquakes