Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

chrome line posted:

It's definitely a mess lmao. What was the deal with Michael? The movie doesn't know and it doesn't care.

He's the focus of the first half of the movie and they bring up all these unanswered questions about him and it's never made clear how he doing what he's doing, it seems like it's going to be revealed that actually he was backed by Foundation or that Orphee was secretly Michael the whole time and that's how he managed everything but the movie never says either and I don't think he was mentioned once after Kira gets diverted from being brainwashed into trying to kill him.

I had a good time! It was really bad!

Gotta read the novels for stuff like that, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Synthbuttrange posted:

And Gwitch was pretty conclusively ended in its run, its not got much else to go on. :\

unless.

Somehow Prospera has returned.

I mean the setting is still all hosed up with corpostates and a permanent earthnoid underclass. we haven't even seen on screen what conditions on other planets are like. more gundams can happen in that kind of setup

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay I think I might have Mandela Effect'd myself. The first time I watched 0079 was with the Dub, which I quite like. But now I've just seen people on Twitter talking about how the TV dub altered a lot of sound effects in the show. For the life of me I do not remember the sounds being any different than what I heard listening to the subtitled version later or even the movie versions. It's always sounded like the mishmash of crunchy muffled sfx like the monoeye bwaaam sound next to super crisp sounds like that ratchet joint whenever the Gundam stands up.

I know that there were versions of some shows that got remastered SFX in later releases but I don't think I've seen any version of 0079 that uses them. Am I going crazy or did I memory hole a lot of changes from the dubs audio library?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I thought the sound effects were altered for the MOVIE dub

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Somebody mentioned Seed Freedom doing what F91 couldn't do and I think it's a good comparsion given that it's Villain is maybe lamer and more owned than Iron Mask Carozzo

How is that even possible. Now I want to see this loving movie.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Somebody mentioned Seed Freedom doing what F91 couldn't do and I think it's a good comparsion given that it's Villain is maybe lamer and more owned than Iron Mask Carozzo

Carozzo forgives you for this post.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fuunsaiki is in Gundam BReaker 3 too. It can't be straight built but I believe you can use the parts.

It's also in Breaker Mobile, which I suspect from the build list is one of the main sources of models for this game. There, you had parts possibly taking up multiple slots, (and other parts being able to be left empty) so that Fuunsaiki could be built with just two parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait hold up did they actually use flashback footage in Freedom and stretched it to 16:9? Is it as jarring as A New Translation when Quattro walks through a door and time travels 20 years into 80s animation?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's awkward and stands out but it's only short clips so it's nowhere as bad New Translation. Plus the scenes being flashbacks means the look feels like a stylistic choice

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The HD remaster already turned the series footage into 16:9. It does look obviously different to the movies animation but it's actual flashbacks, not A New Translations animation shifting around mid scene that you're expected to think belong together

Nuebot posted:

How is that even possible. Now I want to see this loving movie.

It's not that.

"Michael" is not a villain and he's not meant to be anything, he's the cipher that's left running the flailing remnants of Blue Cosmos now that LOGOS and all that stuff is gone. They're simply bait another party dangles in front of Compass.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It doesn't stand out nearly as much when say a modern Precure All Stars movie still uses the original stretched out henshin's of Cure Black and White. Like just bite the bullet and reanimate it Toei

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Seemlar posted:

It's not that.

"Michael" is not a villain and he's not meant to be anything, he's the cipher that's left running the flailing remnants of Blue Cosmos now that LOGOS and all that stuff is gone. They're simply bait another party dangles in front of Compass.

I assume the og quote was talking about Orphee, who is indeed lamer and more owned than Iron Mask

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait hold up did they actually use flashback footage in Freedom and stretched it to 16:9? Is it as jarring as A New Translation when Quattro walks through a door and time travels 20 years into 80s animation?

They also just have clips from og SEED playing on big billboards which is a different kind of jarring. I think they're Lacus's music videos? It really stands out when you see a woman who doesn't have the lips

Caros
May 14, 2008

chrome line posted:

It's definitely a mess lmao. What was the deal with Michael? The movie doesn't know and it doesn't care.

He's the focus of the first half of the movie and they bring up all these unanswered questions about him and it's never made clear how he doing what he's doing, it seems like it's going to be revealed that actually he was backed by Foundation or that Orphee was secretly Michael the whole time and that's how he managed everything but the movie never says either and I don't think he was mentioned once after Kira gets diverted from being brainwashed into trying to kill him.

I had a good time! It was really bad!

He's a misdirection.

The film isn't particularly interested in hiding its villains, but the whole plotline there is that he's some leftover Blue Cosmos leader doing terrorist attacks. A pain in the rear end but he isn't the real threat and his relevance to the plot is largely as a thing that Foundation can dangle as a reason to invite them.

He could be funded by foundation, he might not. His plot doesn't resolve because he doesn't matter. He probably gets murked in the crossfire.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Every named character in the Foundation gets Owned so hard that it becomes comedic, then amazing again. Its great. They were talking all that good poo poo when they had mind control and the element of surprise, but without it they get chumped so hard.

God I want SEED FREEDOM in an SRW now. This and Bravern need to be in an SRW.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Caros posted:

He's a misdirection.

The film isn't particularly interested in hiding its villains, but the whole plotline there is that he's some leftover Blue Cosmos leader doing terrorist attacks. A pain in the rear end but he isn't the real threat and his relevance to the plot is largely as a thing that Foundation can dangle as a reason to invite them.

He could be funded by foundation, he might not. His plot doesn't resolve because he doesn't matter. He probably gets murked in the crossfire.

Sure, but if you have a misdirection plot like this you can't just pretend the initial plot you set up never happened without any resolution once the real story starts. Without that much for what takes up a pretty large amount of the movies runtime I feel very comfortable calling it a mess

Also within a minute of appearing onscreen the villains are making sicko faces at the camera. "Not particularly interested in hiding it's villains" is an understatement!

chrome line fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 9, 2024

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

chrome line posted:

Also within a minute of appearing onscreen the villains are making sicko faces at the camera. "Not particularly interested in hiding it's villains" is an understatement!

For the better imo, I found the opening parts of the movie pretty boring but things picked up immediately once the sicko squad showed up and the NTR started.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just saw subbed SEED FREEDOM in the theatre. 10/10 SEED movie, made me retroactively like the previous series more. Whoever they got to finish off the initial pilot into completed script clearly has a wholehearted love for SEED cause they spent so much time dunking on the characters in good nature. Also I can't help but feel like there's a bunch of callouts to the various shows that cribbed or subverted SEED themes like how Kira got his own 0 Raiser and they go up against the (Order of the) Black Knights with Fukuyama Jun on the assist.

Also Agnes owns. She is a ridiculous character who did a whole Reccoa Londe journey and back, learning the lesson of first you must love yourself before you can find someone to love. She's completely irrelevant to the plot, existing only for Lunamaria to dunk on. Extremely enjoyable chaos character.

My only complaint is that the action scenes are too busy, I barely saw what was going on in the beginning night fight and later on there's so much beam spam and fast cuts you don't get to appreciate the Black Knights simultaneously goofy but cool as heck suits.

Caros posted:

He's a misdirection.

That whole area got nuked so uhhh, he's definitely dead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seed Freedom and Witch from Mercury are gonna be amazing in SRW when they join together please announce it soon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Seed Freedom and Witch from Mercury are gonna be amazing in SRW when they join together please announce it soon

I'm looking forward to any game that has WfM and IBO together in it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I want WfM and G Gundam together. You know Suletta would see the Love Love Tenkyuken and wish she could do it with Miorine.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
My hand is dripping red!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Eej posted:

That whole area got nuked so uhhh, he's definitely dead.

yeah Foundation solved the Michael plotline very conclusively.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Also did anyone else catch that there is a Metal Armor Dragonar reference in one of the mecha designs?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I want WfM and G Gundam together. You know Suletta would see the Love Love Tenkyuken and wish she could do it with Miorine.

Let Chuchu pilot the shining gundam

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

Let Chuchu pilot the shining gundam

Counterpoint: Let Chuchu pilot the devil gundam.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Also did anyone else catch that there is a Metal Armor Dragonar reference in one of the mecha designs?

Absolutely.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I saw Seed Freedom a few days ago and just realized the Gundam thread is probably talking about it. I’m a huge Seed Destiny apologist because Seed has all my favorite mech designs and I like it as a modern take to do a new refresh of the OG MS cannon with modern sensibilities(for 2002).

About 3/4 through Freedom when the big final battle started I started to worry that this would be the first Seed related thing that I absolutely didn’t like, but the final battle goes off the rails in a way that puts it on par/better than Destiny’s ending. There’s also the return flares moment which is a callback to my favorite scene in Destiny. My main criticism with all Seed stuff is that they try to end it with too many plates spinning in too short of an amount of time, although it’s a little more excusable in a movie.

Edit: additionally behind us there was a group that I described to my brother after as the “meme patrol” who talked and did lame in the moment reviewing throughout the screening. That was the worst part of the whole thing.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 9, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Chuchu is going to commit war crimes isn't she.

Loran and Amuro would have just opened their cockpit door. Probably frown on that in school though.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 9, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Neo_Crimson posted:

For the better imo, I found the opening parts of the movie pretty boring but things picked up immediately once the sicko squad showed up and the NTR started.

Oh 100%, I was having a great time with how unsubtle it was

Gripweed posted:

yeah Foundation solved the Michael plotline very conclusively.

Sorry for not thinking the movie raising some big questions about Michael and making answering those questions the entire reason they visit Foundation to begin with only to then drop the issue entirely and just let the audience assume he got nuked was a conclusive resolution. Frankly I'd assumed he wasn't there at all, we only see him when Kira is being mind controlled and Foundation are the ones who gave the information that let them find him, so I'd assumed that it was all a setup and we'd learn more about what was going on later

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The children yern for the melodrama.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AllTheAnime/status/1788599543258349601?t=LW9hYyMuvJN6K_jPseI-7A&s=19

First I've heard of this update. Hopefully it's a good update and not a messy upscale

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Weren’t ticket sales also really good in US?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The children yern for the melodrama.

holy crap sales went up after 2022

nearly a 50% increase that's insane

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now tell me how much of that got sunk into metaverse

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

After we arrive in Foundation (which is both terrible writing and terrible geography in its own right), after we pan across a view of the city, we then move to another, run down part of the city, where Foundation troops (at least, I think that's who they were) are shooting...I guess they were demonstrators? And then...that's it. That's the scene. At no point during the rest of the movie is this or indeed anything about Foundation ever really brought up again. So what exactly was that weird little derail for, then?

Also, is the villainess undergoing some genetic engineering Benjamin Button thing that just doesn't ever get explained?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

After we arrive in Foundation (which is both terrible writing and terrible geography in its own right), after we pan across a view of the city, we then move to another, run down part of the city, where Foundation troops (at least, I think that's who they were) are shooting...I guess they were demonstrators? And then...that's it. That's the scene. At no point during the rest of the movie is this or indeed anything about Foundation ever really brought up again. So what exactly was that weird little derail for, then?

Also, is the villainess undergoing some genetic engineering Benjamin Button thing that just doesn't ever get explained?

I think that derail was showing that the foundation was killing off people in opposition to the government enacting the Destiny program on its populous. They had hinted that the Foundation was evil by then I think, but not specifically how.

Edit: as a whole I think the film mostly makes sense, but it occasionally introduces plot and motivations in a weird way and sometimes in a weird order.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

I watched the last episode of Gundam 0083. Gato's characterization is inconsistent. Early on he tells the guys who help him get the GP02 off earth that they should immediately surrender, their part is done and there's no point in them dying. But at the end, after Operation Stardust has succeeded, he commands his whole force to do a suicide charge at the Federation Navy. His justification is that if even one guy gets through, they will be able to tell the galaxy what they did.

But that doesn't make any sense, the galaxy will obviously know what he did. The galaxy not knowing what he did is simply not an option at that point.

And on that matter, Jaburo not being the target doesn't make any sense either. Dropping a colony on Jaburo, sure, that was the original target of Operation British, it's the seat of the Federation government. It's a monstrous thing to do, but it makes sense. What's the point of dropping it on North America? The only possible reason is that he wanted to cause a global famine. And he's like, "others will carry this torch forward" or some poo poo, and it's like, what torch? Is it just genocide? Was that the part of Zeon that Gato liked all along? He was never in it for Spacenoid independence or mankind's evolution into Newtypes, he was only in it for the mass murder? That's the only way to square the poo poo he says with the thing he does.

Gonna attempt to speak to this, but 0083 doesn't have the best script/plotting so its mostly just going to be excuses.

Gato I think in the OYW and maybe early on in 0083 is at least trying to act like he has noble goals and he's a majestic samurai man who just wants the respect he feels he and most of the Zeon soldiers were slighted from receiving. As the story progresses and he sees; the deals both Cima and Delaz have made to stay relevant, the federations gross divisions that allowed this bullshit to happen in the first place, and the fact that even with him "winning" and pulling off the operations he's stuck in the exact same spot by the finish. He's the last dude waiting on a suicide mission with no out, no glory, no recognition, no restoration of his "honor" and the nobility of the Zeon soldier. So in the last bit, he's basically lost the plot and isn't really the same dude. He's just here for revenge and bloodshed yes, he's out of options and what he says is no longer a reflection of what he's left with really believing in. His desire for them to go out fighting and maybe escape is a selfish desire for his legacy to be written by the losers not the victors because all he really wanted was to not be the villain even though its clearly who he and zeon are in the end. When he escapes from earth he still thinks what he is gonna do will make a difference and those guys surrendering will let them see the GLORIOUS FUTURE he will make. After he uses the Nuke and poo poo goes sideways, I believe he knows that won't be the case so why would he "lie" to his remaining soldiers to hope for a future where they can be seen as anything other than genocidal idiots, go out in the blaze of glory so you can feel your NOBLE spirit vs getting dragged by the world he couldn't change.

The alternative is basically your answer that the script and characterization is wildly inconsistent and Gato is just a really lovely villain the writers and directors couldn't quite decide how to present.

Quite sad that FREEDOM only showed on two weekdays at inconvenient evening times for me to catch it in theaters. Hopefully it ends up on the internet in like less than 2 years I guess.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Literally nothing about that scene is ever relevant and none of it is mentioned again, it could be cut and the only effect would be that it would be slightly more abrupt when Athrun shows up in the actual plot. Like, clearly we're meant to know that Foundation is evil but we already know that and this scene doesn't tell us anything actually new. It's just that they needed to show Athrun was around before he shows up and saves Kira

And yeah I assume that's the implication? But it's never stated or acknowledged because the movie is an incoherent mess

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think that derail was showing that the foundation was killing off people in opposition to the government enacting the Destiny program on its populous. They had hinted that the Foundation was evil by then I think, but not specifically how.

Edit: as a whole I think the film mostly makes sense, but it occasionally introduces plot and motivations in a weird way and sometimes in a weird order.

It also shows undercover athrun in advance to foreshadow him knowing something is up and being there to save Kira.

The main what the gently caress moment for. Me was a single two second shot of freedom fighting one of the black knights inserted right before their arrival at foundation.

I am 99% certain it was a production error. Like the wrong scene just played for two seconds and the movie carried on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Caros posted:

It also shows undercover athrun in advance to foreshadow him knowing something is up and being there to save Kira.

The main what the gently caress moment for. Me was a single two second shot of freedom fighting one of the black knights inserted right before their arrival at foundation.

I am 99% certain it was a production error. Like the wrong scene just played for two seconds and the movie carried on.

My WTF moment was them having a line of dialogue that Cagalli was getting into the Strike Rouge to help in the final battle and they even show her in the cockpit a few times, but I don’t remember seeing the suit at all.