Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Eh, people still like Halo. It did pretty well when it launched (particularly the multiplayer) and most folks liked the single-player campaign. The problem was 343 fumbled the post-launch out of the gate and ended the campaign on a massive cliff-hanger with no new content in sight.

Basically 343 is/was the problem and not Halo as a brand. poo poo, people still watched that show and it was pretty decent for what it was. The part people were mad about were....the parts that weren't Halo.

The problem was Bonnie Ross, Frank and Kiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

As usual Xbox gamers demand booba and resent Kiki. Nothing changed in 15 years

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Master Chief Collection on the PS5 in March of next year is probably going to be the best selling game Xbox has put out this decade.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
My understanding is the biggest problem was the game being put together by interns on one year-long contracts

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I play MCC on my Deck all the time. So much content, most of it very good.

Only took about a decade.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Ruffian Price posted:

As usual Xbox gamers demand booba and resent Kiki. Nothing changed in 15 years

What

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

I said come in! posted:

Put all Call of Duty games on Game Pass already.

the current word from inside is that they're now debating on not doing this

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mung Dynasty posted:

the current word from inside is that they're now debating on not doing this

That’s not new, Tom was just repeating something we’ve known since the legal process around the acquisition. And of course they’re debating, I’m sure they debate all kinds of poo poo all the time.

They’ve since said that they plan to, and I honestly think CoD on Gamepass is an easier sell than, say, ES6 - a lot of CoD’s revenue comes from people buying Cheech and Chong skins and not box sales. It’s less of an uphill battle to argue for foregoing some up-front sales revenue if you can get more people buying into the tail, which they do have data from GP to support.

Allanah Pierce did a good video today about why all of this stuff is a broader industry issue and not some unique thing to Xbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdFV8H4LENs

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 9, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I assume they will drop the older CoDs on GP sometime, but I very much doubt they drop new ones day 1, too much money left on the table.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking Microsoft would drop the new ones onto GP in the hopes of all of that whale spending on the cash shop. But this is why someone at Microsoft is getting paid a 7 figure salary to figure this stuff out, and i'm just poo poo posting on a forum about topics I really know nothing about. Microsoft likely has this figured out, but granted this is the same company that thought closing four game studios was a good idea, sooooooooooooo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Kitty game is cool

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Master Chief Collection on the PS5 in March of next year is probably going to be the best selling game Xbox has put out this decade.

If only the PS5 had another Killzone as Halo killer :haw:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Why would Microsoft expend effort on porting over Halo when they already have all the CODs to spread around?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Why would Microsoft expend effort on porting over Halo when they already have all the CODs to spread around?

Because Halo is better than CoD?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That is true

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kri kri posted:

Putting the full franchises on the table? No, Halo isn't better than CoD. But then you're comparing a series of arcade Sci-Fi shooters vs a big collection of arcade historic/present/futuristic shooters so apples vs oranges?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Halo peaked at Halo 3 Co-Op and never recovered

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Harlock posted:

BTB but yeah.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
CE but yeah.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
I’m seeing a lot of chatter that Microsoft should have never bought Activision and that’s it’s led to all these problems but think about the alternative. Bobby Kotick was looking to sell if not to Microsoft then to who? Did you really want IP like Crash Bandicoot, Diablo and Call of Dufy in the hands of the Saudi royal family? Or CHINA??

Phil Spencer is actually an American hero when you really think about it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Harlock posted:

2 but yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

90sgamer posted:

I’m seeing a lot of chatter that Microsoft should have never bought Activision and that’s it’s led to all these problems but think about the alternative. Bobby Kotick was looking to sell if not to Microsoft then to who? Did you really want IP like Crash Bandicoot, Diablo and Call of Dufy in the hands of the Saudi royal family? Or CHINA??

Embracer would have been hilarious. :v: But they couldnt afford Activision/Blizzard.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

90sgamer posted:

They could of sold to me, I would have made those games but better, it was within they're power./

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

kri kri posted:

lol, Modern Warfare 2 2009 multiplayer is the best multiplayer ever.

Closely followed by BLOPS2.

Halo isn't even on the radar at that point.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

90sgamer posted:

Blizzard already might as well be a Chinese dev with how much crappy microtransaction poo poo they hosed up their games with. No idea why Microsoft thought that was a worthwhile investment outside of CoD because a lot of Blizz IPs either are only for PC or have cratered; they were buying a dog with a terminal illness.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Blizzard already might as well be a Chinese dev with how much crappy microtransaction poo poo they hosed up their games with.

hmm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, Modern Warfare 2 2009 multiplayer is the best multiplayer ever.

Closely followed by BLOPS2.

Halo isn't even on the radar at that point.

None of those sound like Tribes 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CS: Source and Battlefield 2 are my online GOATs

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
CS:S still rules. with CS 2 not having decent custom server support CS:S has been active the past couple months, been nice playing MG servers again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
DoD>>>>>CS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UT99/UT2k4/Q3/Tribes2 > all your console shooters

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Multiplayer peaked with Goldeneye 64

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Multiplayer peaked with Goldeneye 64

Constructing an elaborate cardboard lattice to stop your mates glancing at your corner of the screen

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If I had to say which game I had the most fun with, it was definitely Goldeneye. All my friends got it the Christmas I turned 10. Sleep overs still existed, so did video stores. Going into the weekend looking forward to two days of sleep overs, pizza, too much soda, and Goldeneye was so much fun.

It's a terrible game though.

Mulitplayer games where you don't shoot things it's probably Uno or Bomberman 64

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

DLC Inc posted:

Blizzard already might as well be a Chinese dev with how much crappy microtransaction poo poo they hosed up their games with. No idea why Microsoft thought that was a worthwhile investment outside of CoD because a lot of Blizz IPs either are only for PC or have cratered; they were buying a dog with a terminal illness.

To be clear Microsoft is first and foremost a PC software and services company

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean Diablo 4 sold gangbusters and WoW is still one of the most successful and profitable games of all time (it’s even rebounded significantly from its low point in subs).

The next Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo they release is going to be huge no matter what.

And MS is going to force them to do something with those IP, particularly with their current direction.

Bring back StarCraft Ghost make it Xbox exclusive and watch everyone shut the gently caress up IMO.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 10, 2024

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean Diablo 4 sold gangbusters and WoW is still one of the most successful and profitable games of all time (it’s even rebounded significantly from its low point in subs).

The next Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo they release is going to be huge no matter what.

And MS is going to force them to do something with those IP, particularly with their current direction.

Bring back StarCraft Ghost make it Xbox exclusive and watch everyone shut the gently caress up IMO.

StarCraft 3 is a no brainer but I’m sure Phil Spencer and Matt booty will gently caress blizzard up the same way they do everything else and blizzard will announce a remake of Kinect sports or some poo poo that nobody wants

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Anyone have a good "for idiots" guide to set up devmode and emulation on xbox? Like the quickest and easiest tutorial out. I think its finally time to load up on a lot of PS2 games I didn't play + I'm having a strong desire to play Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons on the TV with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/GenePark/status/1788705573078172151

https://www.ign.com/articles/phil-spencer-and-the-battle-for-xboxs-soul

It's so over. gently caress.