Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQnnISdDIU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
perma

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:gas:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Great, now we all have cancer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

This looks interesting. A movie about dead people returning to life from the author of Let The Right One In.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggB8pZWZuss

Stupidly, this startled me because I have an unfinished story lying around with a similar concept.

Looks interesting indeed and I liked Border
/Grens a lot too.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

checkplease posted:

Early reviews calling Furiosa fantastic but quite different from Fury Road, which is now miller often plays it with sequels.

Excited for it.

Furiosa: Rig in the City

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dikkfor posted:

Furiosa: Rig in the City

a car combat rugrats-like for introducing your child to dialectical materialism

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was wondering why that guy in the screenshot looked vaguely familiar.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgjVKoMb4M

Caught this movie at a film festival earlier this year, going wide this summer I think. Good movie, pretty good trailer imo. Very Old Joy, which is always a plus in my book.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm a Thunderdome Liker so I say bring on Furiosa, even if it looks cheap as poo poo Georgie will give me something cool to remember in it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I think modern movie-going audiences are way too critical of CGI as a specific type of special effect. At worst in the Furiosa trailer, it just adds a sort of painterly effect. Fluid motion goes a long way in my book, compared to the herky-jerky look of stop motion animation, or creaky hydraulics of some mechanical effects that I grew up with.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee-eE_mIXRo

I guess they're remaking Gone Girl.

edit: Wait apparently this is a remake of an Alan Pakula/Harrison Ford movie I've never seen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wasn't the production of Fury Road a total nightmare? I can see why Miller and company wouldn't want to do that again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno if I'm even consciously saying what I do cuz of cgi effects. It just doesn't hit me the same and that's fine, its hard to measure up with a film that had some all time great trailers. I trust George, he's too old to do another Fury Road the same way and it'll at least be decent or somewhat interesting. Just a hard film to follow up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the only narrative formats that arent afflicted with obvious special effects are literature and animation. if youre watching a live-action tv or film production, and it has special effects, you are going to notice that there are things on the screen that dont exist in reality. if you get hung up on the means by which those things are realized, then it is an issue with your perception, not the production

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

the only narrative formats that arent afflicted with obvious special effects are literature and animation. if youre watching a live-action tv or film production, and it has special effects, you are going to notice that there are things on the screen that dont exist in reality. if you get hung up on the means by which those things are realized, then it is an issue with your perception, not the production

Plenty of movies and TV shows have been able to show the unreal in a way that's not distracting. The problem is when the seams show.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Plenty of movies and TV shows have been able to show the unreal in a way that's not distracting. The problem is when the seams show.

the seams always show. it is up to the individual whether they are noticed, and whether noticing them is a distraction. the examples i choose to illustrate this are: roger rabbit. ghostbusters. district 9. alien.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
for decades people have been predicting special effects that will be indistinguishable from reality. but the way to make art is not to be groundbreaking, or cutting-edge, or hyper-realistic; it’s to tell a good story, unimpeded by the limitations of technology. if a good script cant be made without cheesy special effects, then the problem isnt the cheesy special effects, it’s the audience’s perception of the special effects as cheesy due to decades of training by massive hundred-million-dollar movies to see anything short of perfect photorealism as an embarrassing failure

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The issue here is that Mad Max The Road Warrior has perfect photorealism because they actually just built and filmed all that stuff. Like, in order to make things "look real" Hollywood used to have to...just do the stuff. Look at Lawrence of Arabia.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There are plenty of people who think that Fury Road has way less CGI than it really does. There's a whole hour and a half long series on YouTube that details this kind of thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fury Road should have been given a ride / world at Disney or Universal City but alas it was WB so they don't have a park. They should license it to us like Harry Potter. I want to hang out here

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kiimo posted:

Fury Road should have been given a ride / world at Disney or Universal City but alas it was WB so they don't have a park. They should license it to us like Harry Potter. I want to hang out here

An employee dressed as Immortan Joe: "Do not become addicted to the churros!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

starving to death, begging for hydration, looking for the exit

yeah, that actually sums up theme parks for me

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

"Witness me...in these character photos for $30 a piece!"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

live with fruit posted:

There are plenty of people who think that Fury Road has way less CGI than it really does. There's a whole hour and a half long series on YouTube that details this kind of thing.

yeah. the verisimilitude of special effects is a matter only relevant to the individual.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

this is the whole point. good CGI shouldn't have you thinking "isn't that good CGI!?" you forget it's there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee-eE_mIXRo

I guess they're remaking Gone Girl.

edit: Wait apparently this is a remake of an Alan Pakula/Harrison Ford movie I've never seen.

The Harrison Ford one is pretty good, we used to own a copy on VHS. I have no idea why anyone would want or need this remade.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

"Witness me...in these character photos for $30 a piece!"

Drawing your character portrait, written at the bottom:

MEDIOCRE

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

live with fruit posted:

I know for drat sure THIS was real. I SAW IT HAPPEN. In 3D! It flew at my drat face!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Harrison Ford one is pretty good, we used to own a copy on VHS. I have no idea why anyone would want or need this remade.

Ford sure had a thing for guys accused of killing lovers in the early-90s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

this is the whole point. good CGI shouldn't have you thinking "isn't that good CGI!?" you forget it's there.

Yeah, this is the key.

CGI isn't bad. There is absolutely incredible CGI usage out there. CGI is bad when it becomes distractingly obvious. The best CGI is so immensely well done you don't realize it is there and usually in conjunction with other things, Nobody cares Fury Road has CGI because there's precious few moments where it really stands out in context. (Which is what I hope Furiosa ends up doing.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the other hand, Speed Racer owns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s CGI in pretty much every shot in every big set piece of fury road lol. And it’s a lot more obvious than you realize

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

And it’s a lot more obvious than you realize

If people don't realize it's CGI, is it obvious?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kiimo posted:

Yeah they do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Movie_World

No Mad Max ride

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had no idea that existed and I worked for Warner Bros for four years.

:eyepop:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Given that it's a Vekoma SLC I think that name might be literal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They have a Green Lantern ride. OMG

I feel like Ryan Reynolds probably got dragged to that opening, begrudgingly. Like, wincing the entire time that they made a roller coaster for his biggest flop

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pertinent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ZVpv0Y2vI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah. the verisimilitude of special effects is a matter only relevant to the individual.

okay so what point are you trying to make here in response to a number of individuals saying the effects in the Furiosa trailer are too obvious and fake looking