Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Are "Incel tics" what happens when misogynists have Tourette's?

*twitches* NOTFOOK! NOASS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PhazonLink posted:

i kinda get it, but also dont?

like the props dept. people probably found a bunch of junk that was either at firesale prices or on the sidewalk during garbage day. also is it really 1000% real practical physical effects?

I don't think most people are trying to make a big deal out of the literal destruction of the objects in the commercial. Like the expense and the wastefulness and whatever. I'm sure some are, but that's just white noise.

It's more about the message it sends, symbolically. Not only can our latest shiny rectangle do all these things, it's actually better and that stuff is garbage. Plus it's shot like a drat horror movie, or at least like, a shocking sequence in an action movie. The reveal of the shiny rectangle at the end is not remotely the triumphant relief that they think it is.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

i kinda get it, but also dont?

like the props dept. people probably found a bunch of junk that was either at firesale prices or on the sidewalk during garbage day. also is it really 1000% real practical physical effects?

Prop departments don't price hunt, they find the first things that are able to be purchased and generally go for stuff in good cosmetic condition. They also have no care for any historic value of stuff - there's tons of stories of people rescuing old, basically mint typewriters/TVs/boomboxes/computers/etc from dumpsters after a period drama movie/TV show was done filming.

Also basically everything in it was shown to be working so. Yeah they just crushed a bunch of real stuff someone would've probably liked :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

iunno, seems like a pretty simple commercial concept "all this stuff fits into this device"

"our thing is better then all that other garbage" has literally been an advertising tact since I was a child.

Where were all these people when pepsi was telling me I'm an idiot if I drink coke? Or Sega and Sony for saying im gay baby for liking Mario?

ishikabibble posted:

Also basically everything in it was shown to be working so. Yeah they just crushed a bunch of real stuff someone would've probably liked :v:

I only skimmed the ad, it looks like they were crushing a bunch of poo poo with a comically and unrealistically large press. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a lot of fakery and special effects that amounted to a lot less real poo poo being busted up then you think. Same way advertisements make fake food so it looks better on camera then the real thing, they probably had a lot of fake poo poo so it looked more exciting when getting smushed.

Oxyclean has a new favorite as of 18:12 on May 9, 2024

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Intended Message: We've fit so many useful artistic tools into this convenient, portable object.

The Gimmick: People love watching those hydraulic press + random object videos, right?

The Received Message: We've taken the beloved tools you use to make art and destroyed them, replacing them with a soulless black rectangle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's kind of like the infamous Peloton ad. 99% of people understood what they were going for, it just had unintentional horror vibes.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I might be ruffled if Apple was doing a "trade in your art supplies for an iPad" program, but the ad itself is nothing to get upset about. It's an effective visual metaphor for how they're selling their product: we squished all this stuff into this device. It's fine.

As far as marketing moves, it's a good one. It's an interesting visual and everybody is talking about it and sharing it. I don't think they'll lose any customers over it.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
At least they had the sense to not crush any live animals or children, which would make an equivalent statement about their product.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/asallen/status/1788428991118164356

Apple didn't even make an original ad for people to be mad at lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

First of May posted:

I might be ruffled if Apple was doing a "trade in your art supplies for an iPad" program, but the ad itself is nothing to get upset about. It's an effective visual metaphor for how they're selling their product: we squished all this stuff into this device. It's fine.

As far as marketing moves, it's a good one. It's an interesting visual and everybody is talking about it and sharing it. I don't think they'll lose any customers over it.

Do you think maybe creative people might be more emotionally affected by symbolism involving their chosen trade?

Qylvaran posted:

The Intended Message: We've fit so many useful artistic tools into this convenient, portable object.

The Gimmick: People love watching those hydraulic press + random object videos, right?

The Received Message: We've taken the beloved tools you use to make art and destroyed them, replacing them with a soulless black rectangle.

Exactly. I get how someone might not see it this way, but anyone surprised that some artists find the ad upsetting is an idiot.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

https://x.com/asallen/status/1788428991118164356

Apple didn't even make an original ad for people to be mad at lol

The difference being one is a cartoonishly presented smashing of a bunch of mass produced stuff by a bland phonemaker, vs destroying stuff deliberately chosen and presented as being those last handcrafted items than can express and evoke things that robots and computers can't. By a company that always pushed itself as the friend of the artist and creative.

If you don't get why that difference matters, then you just ain't gonna get why people might get angry about it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hope we're not seriously invoking "well it got people talking" in this of all threads. Especially regarding the iPad, which people would obviously be talking about anyway!

And the same message easily could've been conveyed without the overtly brutalist symbolism of destroying all tangible things!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Artists sound like a bunch of dumb whiny nerds tbh

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And kinda what adds insult to injury is that the ad is not even for anything particularly new or better. It's pretty much just the same pad as always except somewhat slimmer, which is arguably a change for the worse.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you think maybe creative people might be more emotionally affected by symbolism involving their chosen trade?

Sure. I'm just saying that I don't read it as an attack on the very concept of art and creativity the way some other people are.

I guess the artistry of this ad is lost on me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Perestroika posted:

And kinda what adds insult to injury is that the ad is not even for anything particularly new or better. It's pretty much just the same pad as always except somewhat slimmer, which is arguably a change for the worse.

But it's the thinnest iPad ever don't you get it. Sure that means a child can probably break it chucking it around, but thin! Thinness is better! Sure the battery life is exactly the same as the last iPad because they used the better battery tech to make a better battery and the new chip tech to make a more efficient processor which could have resulted in a longer battery life if everything had stayed the same size, but THIN! Also the movement of the camera in the pursuit of thinness prevents it from working with existing Apple Pencils and only new Apple Pencils are compatible with it (and not compatible with older iPad models) but motherfucking THIN!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I thought the ad was really old at first, because everyone already knows you can make pictures and music and other works on computers. Been very common for decades at this point. It missed the mark too; it should have invoked combination rather than destruction. But it seems too dumb to be offensive.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure that part of the problem is the particular moment in time, when artists' livelihoods are under attack and works are being stolen by an uncaring digital force. Crushing human art into a computer is a little on the nose.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the ad is somewhat appropriate in that it shows the company is really prioritizing making the thing as slim as possible, which is why my 2018 Macbook Pro has gently caress all for drive space and heats up if I play Balatro too long

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

First of May posted:

Sure. I'm just saying that I don't read it as an attack on the very concept of art and creativity the way some other people are.

I guess the artistry of this ad is lost on me.

Let me rephrase: do you think artists might interpret the ad differently than you, the guy who invoked "well, people are talking about it"?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Do you think "artists" is a definable monolithic bloc of people with identical opinions and reactions

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't help that there are a lot of people in a lot of tech companies basically gunning for artists' livelihoods now (even though it's at least partly snake oil).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

The difference being one is a cartoonishly presented smashing of a bunch of mass produced stuff by a bland phonemaker, vs destroying stuff deliberately chosen and presented as being those last handcrafted items than can express and evoke things that robots and computers can't. By a company that always pushed itself as the friend of the artist and creative.

If you don't get why that difference matters, then you just ain't gonna get why people might get angry about it.
There's a drumkit and a violin in the LG one. Did the apple ad enumerate how each item was hand chosen from some special collection or something?

It just feels like someone saw a tweet complaining about the Apple ad phrased much similar to your post and went "hmm yes, this is how I too feel" rather then seeing it like every other ad and going "hm yes, they smashed all that stuff together into a device." or maybe otherwise going "I can't believe they ruined all that stuff for an ad"

Let me rephrase: do you think artists might interpret the ad differently than you, the guy who invoked "well, people are talking about it"?

As an artist, most of the art Im going to make is going to be through a computer because that's easier and more accessible to me. I've honestly been considering getting an ipad because that might be a convenient way to do my digital drawing without needing to sit at my desk. (But I probably wont because they're expensive as gently caress and I wont end up doing it as much as I think I would.)

Maxwell Lord posted:

It doesn't help that there are a lot of people in a lot of tech companies basically gunning for artists' livelihoods now (even though it's at least partly snake oil).

I do think the whole AI bullshit perhaps puts it in a different light for some though.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol this is so dumb. the message of the ad is "iphone does many things"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

extremely performative feeling response overall imo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm never buying an Apple product again!! :arghfist::tizzy:

Ignore the fact that I've never bought one in the first place

First of May
May 1, 2017

Y... yes? Was it not clear I was stating my own opinion while you continue to speak on behalf of all artists and creatives?

cumpantry posted:

extremely performative feeling response overall imo

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What about it is perfomative?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ravenkult posted:

What about it is perfomative?

Yeah, there's nothing performative about being pissed off at the state of affairs where the most human and expressive of pursuits have been handed off to cheap simulacrums because plugging some keywords in and getting barely passable dreck is infinitely preferable to spending more money to pay a human.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i don't think it's weird, in a moment where capitalism and AI bullshit are literally destroying and computerizing the jobs of actual artists, for artists to get mad about seeing the tools of their trade destroyed and computerized to sell a product

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It strikes me as gross and tone-deaf. Maybe if iPads were brand new it'd hit different but it's not like the drat thing looks very impressive. Silly behaviour.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

what does iphone have to do with AI

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In a year that's all it'll be for

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

artist btw

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A simple fix :hai:

https://x.com/rezawrecktion/status/1788211832936861950

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

someone awful. posted:

i don't think it's weird, in a moment where capitalism and AI bullshit are literally destroying and computerizing the jobs of actual artists, for artists to get mad about seeing the tools of their trade destroyed and computerized to sell a product

but there's literally a massive amount of digitized and computerized tools that artists use

Like apple products are already pretty well know for being artist aligned?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man goons will argue about literally anything.

Even something Apple has already issued an apology for

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Even something Apple has already issued an apology for

did they really? my goodness lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
When you do an ad where a bunch of stuff is destroyed and your product emerges, it's supposed to look more exciting than the stuff it destroyed. It doesn't. We've seen a glass rectangle before. We're all tired of it (and more than few are actively concerned about it). That's the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

no we won't