Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Russia could still lose because Putin is a lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Starsfan posted:

Could Russia become the first country to lose the same war twice?

The ultimate losers of world history

No because the Finns managed to do that

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Been seeing some mention of claims that Russia has been double tapping rescue workers after hitting civilians in Kharkiv and Zaporozhia. Most instances are rather vague on circumstances, and I haven't seen much mention of it being discussed here. Does anyone have more info on it, or more context on the claimed incidents? Were these attacks on civilians, civilian infra, targeting fuckups or something else?

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Regarde Aduck posted:

Russia could still lose because Putin is a lib

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

some five stages of cope poo poo going on right here

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I got around to watching the extremely not mad video about Challenger 2, and I don't know how these guys find the energy to pivot so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40G8hGIcEoQ

Taking the time to bash the Italian MBT, which they were smart enough to not send to Ukraine, very funny.

e: 32:00 he claims Russia has lost 2800 tanks, 120% of the prewar army lol

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 21:45 on May 9, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I got around to watching the extremely not mad video about Challenger 2, and I don't know how these guys find the energy to pivot so hard.

Taking the time to bash the Italian MBT, which they were smart enough to not send to Ukraine, very funny.

Jesus Christ. Thats really funny in light of aksing what happened to all the Ukrainian tanks, but well he loves destroyed Russian tanks, just ignore all the war trophies in Moscow right now

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

he is so pathetic

i'd love to know his backstory because he seemed to come out of no where about 6 months to a year before this conflict kicked off and his magnum opus was making GBS threads on the T-34 because it was a bad tank made by subhumans. The guys entire job seems to be anti-russian propaganda and i'd love to know if he does it for free

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Regarde Aduck posted:

he is so pathetic

i'd love to know his backstory because he seemed to come out of no where about 6 months to a year before this conflict kicked off and his magnum opus was making GBS threads on the T-34 because it was a bad tank made by subhumans. The guys entire job seems to be anti-russian propaganda and i'd love to know if he does it for free

I think maybe you're just not picking up on some of the subtle humor that Lazerpig works into his videos that you really have to develop an appreciation for after extensive viewing. The guy makes alot of shocking or controversial quips as a way of having fun with the material.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

he is so pathetic

How was ghe T-34 a bad tank, besides it being made by Communists

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Starsfan posted:

I think maybe you're just not picking up on some of the subtle humor that Lazerpig works into his videos that you really have to develop an appreciation for after extensive viewing. The guy makes alot of shocking or controversial quips as a way of having fun with the material.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to appreciate Lazerpig's military commentary. The analysis is extremely nuanced, and without a solid grasp of military history most of the insights will go over a typical viewer's head. There’s also Lazerpig’s strategic outlook, which is intricately woven into his critiques — his tactical philosophy draws heavily from Clausewitzian doctrine, for instance. The enthusiasts understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these analyses, to realize that they're not just informative — they say something deep about WAR. As a consequence, people who dislike Lazerpig's commentary truly ARE out of their depth — of course, they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the wit in Lazerpig’s quintessential quip "Advance and secure," which itself is a cryptic reference to Sun Tzu’s ancient treatise *The Art of War*. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those bemused novices scratching their heads in confusion as Lazerpig’s brilliance unfolds itself on their screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes, by the way, I DO have a Lazerpig tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the discerning eyes only— And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to appreciate Lazerpig's military commentary. The analysis is extremely nuanced, and without a solid grasp of military history most of the insights will go over a typical viewer's head. There’s also Lazerpig’s strategic outlook, which is intricately woven into his critiques — his tactical philosophy draws heavily from Clausewitzian doctrine, for instance. The enthusiasts understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these analyses, to realize that they're not just informative — they say something deep about WAR. As a consequence, people who dislike Lazerpig's commentary truly ARE out of their depth — of course, they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the wit in Lazerpig’s quintessential quip "Advance and secure," which itself is a cryptic reference to Sun Tzu’s ancient treatise *The Art of War*. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those bemused novices scratching their heads in confusion as Lazerpig’s brilliance unfolds itself on their screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes, by the way, I DO have a Lazerpig tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the discerning eyes only— And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Navalny, is that you? I thought you were dead.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 22:40 on May 9, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That video is an hour and probably could be wrapped up in 10 minutes or so.

Otherwise, yeah, besides a lack of spare parts, your tank being extremely heavy, tall, and not being able to fire ATGMs are all...uh issues even if it has a decent gun on it and a well protected turret. Also, I am skeptical that it is much easier and quicker to fix a Challanger 2, especially with its weight than a Soviet tank and specifically issues with the engine. It is an entertainment channel and everything, but yeah, you really got to skip forward though most of it.

Also, even the Ukrainians are admitting the Russians have built up this huge force and is equipping it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:23 on May 9, 2024

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

But the Russian Empire also lost wars. It lost the Crimean War in 1856. It lost the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. It lost the First World War in 1917. In none of those three cases was Russia able to keep forces in the field for more than about three years.

quote:

It is normal for Russia to lose wars. And, in general, this led Russians to reflect and reform. Defeat in Crimea forced an autocracy to end serfdom. Russia’s loss to Japan led to an experiment with elections. The Soviet failure in Afghanistan led to Gorbachev’s reforms and thus the end of the cold war.

Strangely, nothing at all happened after they lost WW1

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

he is so pathetic

i'm guessing former videogame streamer

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Americans do it with ugly civil war cosplay costumes. They even act it out.

(I thought it was one really weird thing of the American culture. The reenactment part, it is really weird.)

a vast majority of Americans think it's weird too tbh

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

yellowcar posted:

i'm guessing former videogame streamer

Yeah it does have that vibe about it, basically treating this stuff as video game lore.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Bar Crow posted:

Democracy is like jazz. It’s about the elections you don’t have.

We can do that at home...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Strangely, nothing at all happened after they lost WW1

that was the ussr not russia, IDIOT

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

If it takes Russia losing this war to have a repeat of what happened then I might have to slava

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

But only until it's happened. Then I will Slava NeoUSSR

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

KomradeX posted:

Everyone who claims the T-34 was bad actually always lists the same things: no crew comfort, subpar materials and parts, they would break down after 1500 kilometres or so.

Ignoring the fact that each and every one of those was a conscious decision made to make building the thing take less time and money so you can get more of them on the field faster. The Soviets knew that a T-34 was never going to get to 1500 kilometres of use before being blown up. But the kind of vapid dullards who argue about specific tank designs online only think about them in a sealed vacuum instead of the actual reality they were built in. You could get six to eight T-34s built with the time and money it took to lovingly handcraft every wehraboos favourite overengineered piece of poo poo, the Tiger. And there was not a single commander in that war that would rather have one Tiger over six T-34s.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao @ the german tank that had to be partially dismantled and shipped back to the factory for any maintenance or repair on special railcars because the tanks were made too wide for normal railcars

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

bedpan posted:

lmao @ the german tank that had to be partially dismantled and shipped back to the factory for any maintenance or repair on special railcars because the tanks were made too wide for normal railcars

How is Russia gonna prove they aren't invincible if they can't display them in Moscow? :smug:

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

bedpan posted:

God, it's so profitable. You can fit hundreds of middle men in there. Truly the perfect design.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HerraS posted:

Everyone who claims the T-34 was bad actually always lists the same things: no crew comfort, subpar materials and parts, they would break down after 1500 kilometres or so.

Ignoring the fact that each and every one of those was a conscious decision made to make building the thing take less time and money so you can get more of them on the field faster. The Soviets knew that a T-34 was never going to get to 1500 kilometres of use before being blown up. But the kind of vapid dullards who argue about specific tank designs online only think about them in a sealed vacuum instead of the actual reality they were built in. You could get six to eight T-34s built with the time and money it took to lovingly handcraft every wehraboos favourite overengineered piece of poo poo, the Tiger. And there was not a single commander in that war that would rather have one Tiger over six T-34s.

Oh so the usual stupid bullshit. These people only ever look at it in a sealed bottle and are flabbergasted that Germans lost

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

bedpan posted:

when I was little I assumed this was due to german hubris, but now I know its just because a company wanted to sell wide railcars and charge for maintenance fees

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

bedpan posted:

the leopard cannot be shipped via rail with its full armor package because the side skirts make it too wide to fit in train tunnels

german engineering is built on tradition

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Starsfan posted:

Could Russia become the first country to lose the same war twice?

The ultimate losers of world history

Russia going to be losing all the way to Berlin. Again.

Pray they don't lose all the way to Paris. Again.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
At least they don't have interleaved road wheels now.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

HerraS posted:

For reference, Germany sent something like 26 Leopard 2s so far, while Poland alone sent more than 200 T-72s. The same logic applies to the current conflict.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

HerraS posted:

Most NAFO idiots don't realize that the Soviets treated warfare as a science instead of a blood and soil Wagner Viking epic like the Nazis did.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Didn't Guderian at some point just say "copy the T-34 and put a 75mm gun on it" to Hitler?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
McNamara treated was as statistics lol

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
McNamara was a genius but specifically not in regards to war- those kinds of smarts don't translate, and the Pentagon has never really applied the knowledge from that lesson

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The funny thing is that the British were actively pre-preparing to build T-34s in the UK before they started to receive large numbers of Sherman tanks, the biggest issue was fitting them on British-gauge railcars not really anything to do with the overall design of the tanks.

The Germans put the captured T-34s they got into frontline use and tried to adopt as much as they could from the design.

If it was actually crap, no one would have cared about them.

Its wide body gave it more stability in rough terrain, it could easily be started in sub-zero temperatures, and it had very good protection and armament from early to mid war. Even during the later war when it started to be out classed, putting a 85mm gun on it allowed it to compete with much heavier German tanks.

Stuff like fit and finish and long-term sustainability wasn't really the goal during what was total war. Otherwise, it is grasping at straws like armor hardness or issues with gear boxes.

-------

As far as Macnamara his strength was clearly long-term planning, organization, and logistics, talents that served him well at Ford and arguably were beneficial at the Pentagon but during peacetime much more than wartime. He wasn't much of a politician either.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:21 on May 10, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
bespoke luxury premium consumer war

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Think about the actual short comings of the tank. How it was small and cramped and produced fast via cutting every possible corner. You know, because there was this huge nazi invasion happening. Now portray those things as being because Russians are just genetically stupid and they don't make things good. That's it. It's a historical military video that ignores all the history around the design just so it can go "lol it was cramped and the gun was smaller than a tigers and the engine was bad".

Don't think about it too hard, this is the same guy that convinced the NATO world that the T-14 Armata had engine troubles because the Russians, again being dumb and unable to innovate, copied the engine from a Panther. Yes the ww2 panther. It's been debunked but it doesn't stop that bullshit from popping up.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

thank you for the thread title mr snyder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The funny thing is that the British were actively pre-preparing to build T-34s in the UK before they started to receive large numbers of Sherman tanks, the biggest issue was fitting them on British-gauge railcars not really anything to do with the overall design of the tanks.

The Germans put the captured T-34s they got into frontline use and tried to adopt as much as they could from the design.

If it was actually crap, no one would have cared about them.

Its wide body gave it more stability in rough terrain, it could easily be started in sub-zero temperatures, and it had very good protection and armament from early to mid war. Even during the later war when it started to be out classed, putting a 85mm gun on it allowed it to compete with much heavier German tanks.

Stuff like fit and finish and long-term sustainability wasn't really the goal during what was total war. Otherwise, it is grasping at straws like armor hardness or issues with gear boxes.

-------

As far as Macnamara his strength was clearly long-term planning, organization, and logistics, talents that served him well at Ford and arguably were beneficial at the Pentagon but during peacetime much more than wartime. He wasn't much of a politician either.

his obsession with yield percentages at each stage of a "production process" is taught in supply chain 101 classes these days lol