Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just want Shogun 3 so me and my friend can put an unholy amount of hours in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dread Delusion is now 20% off for the run up to 1.0's release next week, good time to buy if you're like me and was waiting on Early Access ending to pick up the game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/ninja: TW chat: I saw a bit late that TW3K was on sale and almost got it but then I remembered I keep buying 4x/strategy games and never playing them :haw:

I swear this is the first time this has happened to me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

It has happened to me an embarrassing number of times

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks for the heads up! Was waiting fo the launch discount to come up to pick it up.

This month is insane.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mystes posted:

It has happened to me an embarrassing number of times

happened to me like 3 days ago when i realized i bought like a dragon in the winter or something

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what the gently caress at this month

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone is "goddamn too many indie games this month" but Crow Country and Animal Well ended up being more puzzle based than survival (and I'm awful at puzzles) and I have nothing to play until Dread Delusion and Diablo 4 season 4 next Tuesday :negative:

Oh I had https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494560/Rogue_Voltage/ on my wishlist too and I liked the demo and it's coming out in early access tomorrow but I have a feeling I might be too dumb to handle it because it's programming to an extent

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 10, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Everyone is "goddamn too many indie games this month" but Crow Country and Animal Well ended up being more puzzle based than survival (and I'm awful at puzzles) and I have nothing to play until Dread Delusion and Diablo 4 season 4 next Tuesday :negative:
next week's just as busy

Homeworld 3
Ghost of Tsushima DC (PSN acct required for multiplayer)
The Rogue Prince of Persia (roguelite)
Baladins (co-op RPG-themed board game)
Mullet Madjack (race the clock FPS)
Athenian Rhapsody (comedy RPG)
Read Only Memories: Neurodiver (pixel narrative game, sequel to 2048 Read Only Memories)
Die By the Blade (Bushido Blade inspired 1v1 fighter)
Lorelei & the Laser Eyes (SUDA51 inspired mansion puzzler)
Genopanic (non-linear comedic space horror platformer)
Morbid: The Lands of Ire (3D sequel to 2D soulslike)
An English Haunting (Lucasarts-stytle point & click adventure)
Hack.Shot (hacking puzzle game about defeating viruses with billiards)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edmond Dantes posted:

/ninja: TW chat: I saw a bit late that TW3K was on sale and almost got it but then I remembered I keep buying 4x/strategy games and never playing them :haw:

How did you get that game down to 10$?

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Probably by not being in the US?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

FishMcCool posted:

Not OP but loved the game.

You recruit and manage a roster of knights and witches from Arthurian legends, rebuild Camelot as your HQ which allows you to buff some characters, heal them, equip them, etc, and send 4 of them at a time on quests. The 'base building' is light, but has its purpose, and it's cool to do over time. Characters are all attached to a bunch of classes, but while two knights from the same class will have many things in common, they'll have some significant divergences in stats/skills which will make them play a bit differently in combat, so that's cool. Quests themselves are not repeatable, and while you can also train some non-questing knights in Camelot, that means a general cap on xp, which, while generous, means that you'll want to identify your favourite roster of 6-8 knights over time because they're the ones you're going to pimp with xp, skills and items.

The combat is action points based, with movement costing APs too. It isn't terribly complex, but it's engaging enough that I enjoyed the whole campaign and all side missions. There's a pre-combat placement too which plays its part in how you want things to happen. The hits feel crunchy, and it's absolutely glorious to have your Champion in full plate swinging a two handed sword onto a luckless peasant/bandit/whatever. And that's the start. Later in game, skills and magic items become a bit crazy and you can end up with a knight going full invisible leaping ninja, another teleporting behind and one-shotting 3 mobs in a row, and a witch murdering 5 archers with chain lightning. And that was your opening first round. :getin:

It's not the best tactical combat game, the base building is pretty light, but it oozes atmosphere and has a set number of quests, so no grinding random maps here, by the time you're done pimping your A-squad, you're not far from the ending. There's also a post-game grind stuff if you're so inclined, but I reached the end after 67h and I was satisfied and called it a day. As for the DLCs, they are standalone battle-only micro-campaigns so don't bother with them unless you're done with the base game and know that this is what you want.

Cool, thanks for that write up and heads up about the DLC. Sounds like a game I might pick up at a deeper discount based on what you're saying. I appreciate the opinions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

next week's just as busy

Homeworld 3
Ghost of Tsushima DC (PSN acct required for multiplayer)
Baladins (co-op RPG-themed board game)
Mullet Madjack (race the clock FPS)
Athenian Rhapsody (comedy RPG)
Read Only Memories: Neurodiver (pixel narrative game, sequel to 2048 Read Only Memories)
Die By the Blade (Bushido Blade inspired 1v1 fighter)
Lorelei & the Laser Eyes (SUDA51 inspired mansion puzzler)
Genopanic (non-linear comedic space horror platformer)
Morbid: The Lands of Ire (3D sequel to 2D soulslike)
An English Haunting (Lucasarts-stytle point & click adventure)
Hack.Shot (hacking puzzle game about defeating viruses with billiards)

Also Omenroad, a major DLC for Wildermyth which I am super hyped for

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mystes posted:

time to move!

(purchased it anyways! I need to slow down with new game purchases now, but happy with the rich buffet in front of me)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bloodborne kart has a steam listing now

https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1788715431429083624

Orv
May 4, 2011

repiv posted:

bloodborne kart has a steam listing now

Terrorism

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

StrixNebulosa posted:

Third World baby! (I'm LATAM) VV

mystes posted:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hell yeah! here is the link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2930160/Nightmare_Kart/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao is Micolash just on foot and he runs everywhere? That's a great gag

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

goferchan posted:

Lmao is Micolash just on foot and he runs everywhere? That's a great gag

Excuse me that's Nicholas

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

Excuse me that's Nicholas

original character do not steal

https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1751317040281923924

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re not interested in multiplayer outside of maybe a few skirmishes against computers is the DLC for Company of Heroes 3 worth anything? It’s got solidly negative reviews but that mostly seems to be about the price.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The art reminds me of daggerfall. Does it also have unfinishable procedurally generated dungeons? What’s the magic system like?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

Not sure why this is on Steam but the recent POP metroidvania isn't. Maybe because it's early access?

This is from their FAQ:
Will I need to use Ubisoft Connect?
• Ubisoft Connect will not be needed in Early Access.

I'm sure we'll all hear about it when it's inevitably made mandatory.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I get the design space of wanting more tightly controlled/balanced combat with less variance and swinginess but I want my roguelites to have vastly swinging power levels and final builds that end up behaving in ways I couldn't have planned around from the start of the game.

kazil posted:

So much Hitman, why no Hugman?

kazil posted:

:hmmyes: World of Assistance

agree

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I don't think it's that bad, but I do agree that CA are going to struggle to make another successful game that looks and feels like 'a TW game'. It can be an RTS, it can have a grand strategy layer, but the time has come to make something we haven't seen before.

Always reminded that Creative Assembly made Alien: Isolation, which was something very different from the CA games before and after it. So certainly they can make something completely different and make a good job of it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Eh, I'd much rather they stayed within their wheelhouse; no one else does the kind of strategy games they make.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Company of Heroes 3 is 50% off but more importantly its got a free weekend

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Eh, I'd much rather they stayed within their wheelhouse; no one else does the kind of strategy games they make.

The thing is they can clearly do both and should but they're owned by SEGA and SEGA basically follows the Square Enix model in terms of "This game only solid a billion copies, we were expecting two, the entire dev team will be executed at dawn."

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Leal posted:

Company of Heroes 3 is 50% off but more importantly its got a free weekend

Is the single player any good, and is it possible to finish in a weekend?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Also Omenroad, a major DLC for Wildermyth which I am super hyped for

Hell yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Animal Well does some really clever stuff in the first couple of hours already. Neat tools and neat how they’re used. I need to stress that this is a puzzle platformer first, metroidvania second, esoteric mystery hunt third. it’s not a “you have to go in blind!” game and it’s not necessarily an information based progression like outer wilds either. People need to calibrate their expectations going in. But it’s great so far.

I also got Cryptmaster and 1000xRESIST, as well as Astrolancer (spiritual successor to NES hybrid action game Guardian Legend), so I can give more thoughts on those when I play them sometime in the summer. I’m still playing catch-up (and I’d like to get some earlier 2024 games like Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom and Pepper Grinder too).

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Azran posted:

Creative Assembly used money and talent developing a live service character shooter called Hyenas, chasing a trend that their fans actively disliked. It was never going to survive in this saturated market. In the meantime their work on Total War got shoddier and community relations worsened sharply.

SEGA brought the hammer down and cancelled Hyenas after a rumored $90+ million wasted and told CA in no uncertain terms to stick to their core competencies from now on. I think they will be squarely focused on TW for a very long time before they get out of the doghouse.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 10, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Somehow I doubt that developing Hyenas was CA's choice.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

If you’re not interested in multiplayer outside of maybe a few skirmishes against computers is the DLC for Company of Heroes 3 worth anything? It’s got solidly negative reviews but that mostly seems to be about the price.

Not really. They shoved a bunch of padding into the DLC, mostly unit skins, so it's not great value unless you care about those. The two battlegroups it does provide are pretty fun though and the American one is currently the topic of hot debate, by which I mean people refuse to accept Rangers are comically overpowered.

Alternatively, you can also buy the battlegroups with in-game currency but it's going to take a while unless you are playing a lot with clear intent to complete the daily/weekly challenges for credits.

Arrinien posted:

Is the single player any good, and is it possible to finish in a weekend?

German campaign, probably. Allied one? No. The german campaign is a "classic" style campaign with missions and cutscenes while the allied one is a huge, Total War-esque mix of strategic layer and RTS fights.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Formerly Creative Assembly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Jack Trades posted:

Somehow I doubt that developing Hyenas was CA's choice.

Apparently CA actually approached SEGA with the idea lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azran posted:

Apparently CA actually approached SEGA with the idea lol

I guess that's what I get for assuming the best of people.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a state of mind I need to be in or certain point I need to reach in Baulders Gate 3 for it not to feel tedious?

I've tried 3 times to get into it and can never make it out of the starting beach area.

I think the furthest I got was to the first village (which is under attack) before just losing interest and playing something else.

I found the intro cool and engaging, but then it's just feels like it becomes a slog.

It feels like I'm missing something with all of the glowing praise it's getting but is it genuinely that good a game or is it a lot of fart huffing and the marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kin posted:

Is there a state of mind I need to be in or certain point I need to reach in Baulders Gate 3 for it not to feel tedious?

I've tried 3 times to get into it and can never make it out of the starting beach area.

I think the furthest I got was to the first village (which is under attack) before just losing interest and playing something else.

I found the intro cool and engaging, but then it's just feels like it becomes a slog.

It feels like I'm missing something with all of the glowing praise it's getting but is it genuinely that good a game or is it a lot of fart huffing and the marketing?

Which part of it do you find tedious exactly?

BG3 is one of the best games in the genre, that's not even debatable, but it's a fairly traditional crpg that doesn't lead you by the nose.