Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

12-Step Suite is my golden goose for a live show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Hearing Portnoy drum some Dramatic Turn / DT13 / Distance Over Time material would be cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Portnoy put his foot down on The Astonishing POS though (as it always seemed like the kind of record he'd be like "You see what happens when I'm not around?")

Vargatron posted:

12-Step Suite is my golden goose for a live show.

YUP

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always thought Scenes From A Memory was Dream Theater's best album by far. It had all the "Dream Theatery" elements (vaguely annoying vocals, pretty awful lyrics that thought they were clever but honestly lacking in self-awareness, overly long solo sections, random ragtime bits, cool instrumental sections and verses mixed in with the most obvious, anthemic boring choruses, some blatant Metallica theft...) but on SFAM everything was well balanced. Just when you were getting over hearing 32nd note arppeggios, the song would do a welcome change into something cool and all those things which normally start to grate, just came together and worked really well for that album.

Dream Theater were doing a SFAM anniversary tour to Australia. I had a ticket. Then COVID came. The show was cancelled and no word ever since :(. Would love to see them do SFAM. Especially now that Portnoy's back.

I think I would hate being in a band with Portnoy, but his personality and vibe adds so much to DT that it's great to see him back.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I personally think Images and Words and Awake are their best albums from a songwriting standpoint. I think it's the Kevin Moore lyrics and keyboards that really add to it for me. Rudess tends to solo to excess and I think Moore had a more reserved style that fit better with the music.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Just heard Night Demon for the first time and Jesus christ they put on a show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

between the second half of Pull Me Under and the bass intro to Panic Attack, Dream Theater have combined almost made one great song

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also I miss Turisas and hope they make new music again. The Varangian Way is one of my favorite albums and as far as concept albums go was pretty cool.

Me too! :saddowns:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I got multiple friends into metal through that God drat Rasputin cover

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

Vektor; never has a band worked so hard to bore the poo poo out of me.

ahahahaha, I legit cracked up at this. I love Vektor, but I get it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dream Theater is a band that knows how to find a cool riff and put the world's most annoying bullshit around it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DT makes absolutely fantastic background noise.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol i totally got laid by putting on Scenes from a Memory in my dorm for this girl, i'll always love that album

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I refuse to believe that Dream Theater has ever helped anyone get laid. You succeeded in spite of them, not because of them. Give yourself some credit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I got multiple friends into metal through that God drat Rasputin cover

It's not even the best cover they made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6DslMwVBU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh yeah also, the new Unleash the Archers album is out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5Le0L7rOs

The three first singles were kinda slow burners for me, I liked them but wasn't super impressed right away. This last single won me over almost immediately, it's a very good mid-tempo* cruncher. (*: until, suddenly, blastbeat)

The album proper has been very good so far. I was a bit concerned if it was gonna have any proper power metal bangers. There have, in fact, been several. There is also an extremely Jim Steinman-esque seven-and-a-half minute power ballad.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 10, 2024

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Count me as another big Turisas fan waiting for new stuff. I kinda thought something would come at some point, because when I saw them live some years ago, the guy said they were planning new music :(.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

symbolic posted:

between the second half of Pull Me Under and the bass intro to Panic Attack, Dream Theater have combined almost made one great song

lol i was just thinking this too

i will totally listen to Panic Attack a lot and really get into it before I start getting bored with the second half

The rest of DT is ok i guess

I did see Petrucci and Portnoy once though and that was fun mostly because of Portnoy

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I used to count SfaM in my top 10 albums, and I had a really hard time getting through it recently. It wasn't any of the usual stuff that bothered me either, like Jordan Rudess's stupid keyboard tones or James LaBrie's entire voice

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Been working through Scar Symmetry's albums post-vocalist change, and they still have some great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjm-1dITtG0

Really love their riffs with the 7 string guitar.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

Just heard Night Demon for the first time and Jesus christ they put on a show

Maybe this is heresy but I think they were more fun to watch live than Blind Guardian, who they opened for

Audience was insane for blind guardian though, I'm usually on the edge of the crowd and I still got pushed around a bunch

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

Been working through Scar Symmetry's albums post-vocalist change, and they still have some great songs.

Huh, I never realized they brought on the guy who replaced Dan Swanö in the non-Dan Swanö version of Edge of Sanity

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I refuse to believe that Dream Theater has ever helped anyone get laid. You succeeded in spite of them, not because of them. Give yourself some credit.

What, you play air guitar to the beginning of The Enemy Inside and wiggle your eyebrows suggestively and that's it. Super simple.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Went and saw Exhumed last night with Skeletal Domain and the Municipal Waste drummer and bassist's meloblack metal band Morbikon and the melodeath band Unto Stone, real fun show. Exhumed only played old poo poo.

Also, new music Friday

Unleash the Archers, melodeath tinged pm
Riot V on non-BC, power trad
Primitive Warfare, war
Freedom Call on non-BC, power trad
Necrophagia, dm
Dødsferd, bm
Funeral Storm, meloblack
Jours Pâles, meloblack
Sarcoughagus, dm
White Tower, bm
Warlord, uspm
Six Feet Under (lol), dm
Flamekeeper, black tinged power trad
Desolus, thrash
Vaticinal Rites, tech death
Markgraf, black trad
SVNEATR, meloblack
Depressive Witches, black'n'roll
Take Offense on non-BC, crossover
Syk, progressive death
Sidus Atrum, meloblack
Red Rot, progressive death
Lichen, meloblack
Callus, stoner
Gjenferd, stoner doom
Binary Creed on non-BC, progressive power
Borer, doom
Unsemblance, dm
Paradox Rift on non-BC, progressive death
Putrified, dm

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Vargatron posted:

Discography's almost completely solid (never got around to their last one though).

Pitch Black Progress and Holographic Universe are two of my favorite records ever though so they've never really hit that same high again, but I will say Per Nilsson is tied with Allan Holdsworth for top guitarist in my book.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol i totally got laid by putting on Scenes from a Memory in my dorm for this girl, i'll always love that album

Pussy must've been vibrating after that Dance of Eternity stroke game

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Terror Fest recap. My first time attending (decided against it last year after Wormrot dropped) and it's a pretty nice setup. It's at of those two-venue complexes (Neumos/Barboza) where there's one big room and one small bar with separate stages, but infinitely nicer than El Corazon/Funhouse, which is where most metal shows come through in Seattle. There are no overlapping sets so you just move from one room to the other every half hour if you want to see everything, but you will sacrifice a good view and the first minute of many sets if you are trying to see every band to completion (especially because Barboza is one of those long, narrow rooms with no other sightlines). Was hoping to kick things off with Warp Chamber but they had to drop out at the last minute.

Body Void: Crushed it. They've leveled up in the past few years I think. I saw them in 2021 with Portrayal of Guilt as a three piece and they were good but kind of dour (not that this is fun music). Atrocity Machine was an awesome record and live they have a new energy, with a new live guitarist so Willow can do noise manipulation or move around. Great way to open the festivities by getting pulverized.

BRAT: Self-described "bimboviolence" from New Orleans, this is a grind band recently signed to Prosthetic who have a fun gimmick. They have a peppy blonde frontwoman who dances to pop songs in between grindcore assaults (the sound of Madonna's "Hung Up" greeted us as we filtered into Barboza). Their actual music is solid if nothing groundbreaking. Just wish I could've actually seen them but I was pretty far back. They also covered Barracuda which is cool (Heart are Seattle legends).

Daeva: Blistering black/thrash and a funny dose of trve metal right after BRAT's subverting of genre conventions. Super energetic, translated way better live than on record where they're fine.

Atrae Bilis: Replacement-level tech death. Their frontman had an eye infection so he was wearing an eyepatch. Watched about 20 minutes of them and then dipped to get dinner.

Primitive Man: Honestly a little underwhelming. They crush for sure and visually it's a very arresting show even though they are pretty much still. I kind of felt like Body Void had accomplished what I want out of a Primitive Man set and getting ground to paste by pure sonics wasn't what I was feeling at that point. Also had to bail early because one of the main reasons I bought a ticket for this day was...

Ulthar: Fantastic set, no frills, just the same weirdo death metal I've heard on some of the best albums of the past few years. Their drummer was particularly awesome. Lots of really cool tones coming from them. Would love to see them headline a conventional show in the future.

Giant Squid: The number one reason I picked this as the day I would go. If they had to do an album set I would've preferred The Ichthyologist over Metridium Fields (big album for me in high school; contains two of my favorite songs of all time in Throwing a Donner Party at Sea and Sevengill), but beggars can't be choosers. I thought they were done for good and I'd never get a chance to see them (and as far as I can tell this was a one-off). Such a cool, idiosyncratic band. Got pretty heavy even though I think of them as being on the gentler side of metal bands. Aaron Gregory seemed thrilled to be there, and it was awesome to see such a big crowd for a band that broke up, IIRC, in part due to financial issues. I bought a shirt with an anatomical diagram of a shark on it that I'm sure will get quizzical looks since it says "GIANT SQUID" underneath a shark. Needed anything I could as a souvenir for such a rare opportunity.

Didn't have it in me to stick it out for Amenra. I know people love them and they're probably a force live but I can take or leave them and I had had my fill after six hours. Definitely planning to go annually if they keep putting together solid lineups like this.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Wait Terrorfest was this weekend? Oops lol I went last year and wanted to this year, guess I missed that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Wait Terrorfest was this weekend? Oops lol I went last year and wanted to this year, guess I missed that

They still have one-day passes for today and tomorrow available I believe (idk if you live here or if you drive in from somewhere or if there's a different Terror Fest out in rhe world).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nah im in CenCal, I flew up last year and had a good time and intended to again this year but I guess it flew by without me noticing, all good I went to a fun show last night so I'm sated for now. I will say last year I went 1 day before Terrorfest started and caught Devourment with Angel Ochoa on vocals and that's maybe the best show I've ever been to

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nazzadan posted:

Also, new music Friday

Freedom Call on non-BC, power trad
Warlord, uspm
Good stuff.

Also today:

Anette Olzon - Rapture (Symphonic Metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSovET3oWfg

Also Powerman 5000 - Abandon Ship (Nu Metal?) :lol:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Threw together an RYM list of Warhammer themed metal because such a list for some reason didn't exist

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
this band is called Sarcoughagus, because its a little jokey name rather than them being unable to spell.

https://rottedlife.bandcamp.com/album/remnants

it also happens to be exactly how I want my death metal to sound.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Nazzadan posted:

Threw together an RYM list of Warhammer themed metal because such a list for some reason didn't exist

Hot drat, that's a lot of bands to check out, thank you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nazzadan posted:

Top six is legit

wrong order, but legit

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's not in order by quality, it's chronological within the band. Otherwise Realm of Chaos would be #1 on the list by a mile

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CornHolio posted:

wrong order, but legit

1-3 works like that for me :)

E-

I take it back

Nazzadan posted:

Otherwise Realm of Chaos would be #1 on the list by a mile

Completely agree

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 11, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rossometile - Gehenna (symphonic)

I went into this one with pretty low expectations but it turned out to be pretty good.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Nazzadan posted:

Paradox Rift on non-BC, progressive death

These guys seem to be on BC. Really knuckle draggy and not so much prog but i love it
https://paradoxrift.bandcamp.com/album/ensnared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqwTC1Lw298

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1349 - Ash of Ages (black/death)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSPgKepXnbA

No news of an upcoming release so far.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Me and my band released a song. We manage to record about one song per year, and here's this year's creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axy0RYpbi1I

Rampart - The Perfect Crime

I even made a little video this time by cutting together material from an old public domain pirate movie. I think it turned out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Acero Letal released a 2024 EP, its virtually an album. Has 8 songs in it

https://aceroletal.bandcamp.com/album/legiones

I love these dudes