Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, what is a quantitative researcher anyway? As opposed to someone who just does thought experiments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mind over matter matters

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Victoria could conceivably wreck James' poo poo if she gets that far. I hope one of these people give him a run for his money.

No real spoiler, just being careful since the Tourney is currently airing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wait, what is a quantitative researcher anyway? As opposed to someone who just does thought experiments?

It depends on the field! In the social sciences, someone might be a theorist and write papers like "I have conceptualised 'necrocapitalism'". They might do qualitative research like case studies, design and administer surveys, conduct structured in-depth interviews. Or they might do quantitative research, which involves statistical techniques to deal with larger amounts of data more systematically.

Matt's in computer science, so it's more of a theory/application divide. A lot of CS is close to pure math: studying algorithms and their mathematical properties, information theory, whatever. I'm not a computer scientist, but what I understand Matt to be signaling by "quantitative researcher" is that he's not answering questions like "what assumptions are necessary to get computation time for a general class of algorithms to be linear instead of exponential", but working on more practical questions like "using technique Y, we can use data X to learn Z about the world".

e: oh and if someone with a Mathematics PhD says they're a "quant" that probably means they work in finance and make obscene amounts of money.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Watching last night's masters: lol @ James writing ラスボス (rasu bosu/last boss) on his podium.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pinterest Mom posted:

Watching last night's masters: lol @ James writing ラスボス (rasu bosu/last boss) on his podium.

I assumed it was James but of course he would write that. Also :laffo: at him attending the Super Bowl with pinkeye

Also didn't know hockey had a dingbat font and that James used it. He'll probably use some combination of Big/Winged Eagle, Brahma Bull, Smoking Skull and that idiotic neck tattoo of Cody's next.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re doing my person Mattea dirty by feeding them into the James/Victoria meat grinder like this. Anyone in the first half would have had a chance, but not here.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i don't like it when people say "presented without comment" in general but please allow me to present this without comment (it's a public post and i'm sure he would love for more people to see it. also i guess this is "with comment")

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
gently caress you, Yogesh.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

What does any of that have to do with whether or not Jeopardy is a sport? I'm confused

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What does any of that have to do with whether or not Jeopardy is a sport? I'm confused

he seems to be implying that sports journalism is better than the Jeopardy world about addressing and reporting on racism and systemic mistreatment of players or players being taken advantage of, and if it was truly a sport, these issues he's obliquely referencing (which must be racism, couldn't be anything to do with the fact that he, personally, is clearly an rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets) would have been seen and reported on in some kind of bombshell-dropping headline by this point

which setting aside Yogesh and his whole personal deal, the idea of sports journalism being any good at anything he's implying is a big ol' hearty lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This reminds me of an exchange I witnessed on IRC decades ago. Two people were arguing about something and one of them busted out the incredible line, "It's nothing personal, I just don't like you."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
he's arguing that because people don't take his PTSD seriously (as he appears to believe they do in other sports) jeopardy isn't a sport.

his PTSD is from getting banned from a local trivia spot in Portland. he argues that this is because he is not white, while the trivia organizers say it was because of his behavior. you can read his take on it here, if you would like.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Great timing. I was just beginning to think to myself that Yogesh wasn't bothering me too much during this tourney, but he always manages to make an rear end of himself. James is cocky but he doesn't act like a dickhead behind the scenes (as far as I've heard).

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Does he actually have a PTSD diagnosis or is this like people claiming to have OCD because they like things at right angles?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Spokes posted:

you can read his take on it here, if you would like.

He really can't get it through his head that pub trivia exists to help bars and organizers turn a profit on slow nights, huh. Also lol at the adjacency of "it's absurd and hyperbolic to call me the Lebron James of trivia, that's textbook discrimination. btw I am one of the best trivia players in the world."

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

He really can't get it through his head that pub trivia exists to help bars and organizers turn a profit on slow nights, huh. Also lol at the adjacency of "it's absurd and hyperbolic to call me the Lebron James of trivia, that's textbook discrimination. btw I am one of the best trivia players in the world."

Starting to think it isn't a sport.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Great timing. I was just beginning to think to myself that Yogesh wasn't bothering me too much during this tourney, but he always manages to make an rear end of himself. James is cocky but he doesn't act like a dickhead behind the scenes (as far as I've heard).

Right? He actually seemed to be trying to rehab his assholeish personality during JIT. Guess that didn't last long.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

"PTSD"? really?? come on bro

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Right? He actually seemed to be trying to rehab his assholeish personality during JIT. Guess that didn't last long.

He just can't help himself. He's a raging hypocrite to start with, but then when he gets a chance he didn't deserve (reminder: he only won three games before the TOC), he still can't resist having to lash out.

Even outside his social media, he always has to put on an act after begrudgingly ringing in on a clue in a "joke" category to make it clear what he thinks of those, or those exaggerated buzzer fits he has any time he starts having trouble ringing in. James is an arrogant poo poo, but Yogesh is something else.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Plus, I think a lot of James' cockiness on the show is a persona. I don't think he has a problem with confidence irl but he's embraced the branding of 'Jeopardy villain' and goes with it (e.g: the 'final boss' stuff). But he always seems to shake people's hands after the games and seems to genuinely congratulate their success. In person I think he'd be perfectly fine.

Yogesh's being an rear end in a top hat is evidently just his personality.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

gently caress you, Yogesh.

I can’t watch episodes with him in them

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Did you know, one time at trivia camp, Yogesh once beat James in a jeopardy fan game?

So did Victoria Groce, but she never made it her personality.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I would have thought James could afford glasses by now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Plus, I think a lot of James' cockiness on the show is a persona. I don't think he has a problem with confidence irl but he's embraced the branding of 'Jeopardy villain' and goes with it (e.g: the 'final boss' stuff). But he always seems to shake people's hands after the games and seems to genuinely congratulate their success. In person I think he'd be perfectly fine.

Yogesh's being an rear end in a top hat is evidently just his personality.

I have it on very good authority that this is not the case and James is very much an rear end in a top hat IRL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

I have it on very good authority that this is not the case and James is very much an rear end in a top hat IRL.

Never forget that James set up a website to count "the vanquished" at the start of his run a few years ago; the site very quickly disappeared after some basic WHOIS lookups traced the site's ownership to him.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Plus, I think a lot of James' cockiness on the show is a persona. I don't think he has a problem with confidence irl but he's embraced the branding of 'Jeopardy villain' and goes with it (e.g: the 'final boss' stuff).

James is the clown sitting over Jeopardy's fairgrounds dunk tank, roasting everyone who pays five bucks and can't hit the target for poo poo, and Jeopardy is better for it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Does anyone actually like the words hidden in the clues categories like the bird one today?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FrumpleOrz posted:

Does anyone actually like the words hidden in the clues categories like the bird one today?

I am not a fan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

he's arguing that because people don't take his PTSD seriously (as he appears to believe they do in other sports) jeopardy isn't a sport.

his PTSD is from getting banned from a local trivia spot in Portland. he argues that this is because he is not white, while the trivia organizers say it was because of his behavior. you can read his take on it here, if you would like.

lol having a handicap or doing a complete ban against someone who is essentially a Ringer is not discrimination, to everyone’s point pub trivia is to make money at the end of the day.

I think a better solution would have been going right to “you can play but you won’t be considered for prizes” but still this is pretty ridiculous.

It would be like a professional athlete in any sport joining a beer league team and clowning everyone but also taking it super seriously and demanding the beer league trophy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

It would be like a professional athlete in any sport joining a beer league team and clowning everyone but also taking it super seriously and demanding the beer league trophy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckman2008 posted:

lol having a handicap or doing a complete ban against someone who is essentially a Ringer is not discrimination, to everyone’s point pub trivia is to make money at the end of the day.

I think a better solution would have been going right to “you can play but you won’t be considered for prizes” but still this is pretty ridiculous.

Yogesh clearly has the mother of all persecution complexes. Every time he goes on a screed, all I can hear in my head is Andross from Star Fox 64: "IF I GO DOWN, I'M TAKING YOU WITH ME!"

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

FrumpleOrz posted:

What do you dislike about them? I don't think they're any better or worse than the other word play categories they have.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one where they had to name the Greek letter in the response to the clue from a recent episode felt tedious to me, but I might just be too dumb for it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just wish they'd keep the clue up on the screen instead of cutting to watching contestants staring at the thing I wish I could still see.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

cloudchamber posted:

What do you dislike about them? I don't think they're any better or worse than the other word play categories they have.

I hate playing word search in 20 second bursts. It's frustrating. The before and after stuff has some wit to it at least.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just wish they'd keep the clue up on the screen instead of cutting to watching contestants staring at the thing I wish I could still see.

Agreed

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Didn't they experiment with this in some recent tournament or celebrity special? It's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

wa27 posted:

Didn't they experiment with this in some recent tournament or celebrity special? It's a good idea.

In the specials, they highlight the category title and then the clue value. I have no idea why they don't do this for regular play; it's nice.