Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Arist posted:

you should watch delicious in dungeon

This is the correct answer for current best anime. I tried that Frieren show and the first episode bored me out of my mind so I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Piccolo Day everyone.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

I feel like you're missing whatever your second flavour here is?

For me a lot of modern shows (and I know this is on purpose) only care about moments and I'm constantly finding myself going "but how did X happen, why did Y happen" and etc

Haha whoops, the other flavour is a 90 minute movie's worth of anything stretched out over 8 episodes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Khanstant posted:

Haha whoops, the other flavour is a 90 minute movie's worth of anything stretched out over 8 episodes.

Surf Dracula....

mystes
May 31, 2006

AcidCat posted:

This is the correct answer for current best anime. I tried that Frieren show and the first episode bored me out of my mind so I stopped.
I don't watch much anime these days but I actually liked the first episode of Frieren and my issue with the show was the opposite, namely that after a few episodes it was looking like the premise was becoming less relevant and it was turning into every other generic fantasy anime (dunno if that's actually true because I lost interest and stopped watching though)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate every japanimation I see, from Anim A to Anim Z

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We can all agree that Frieren isn't that good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phat Phingers posted:

imagine getting a face a facelift and one week later you're in jail

Can you imagine that? You get a facelift and one week later you're in jail! :laugh:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Can you imagine that? You get a facelift and one week later you're in jail! :laugh:

No, it's "getting a face a facelift" so it's entirely possible it's not your face. Imagine you lift someone else's face, then a week later you're in jail!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AcidCat posted:

No, it's "getting a face a facelift" so it's entirely possible it's not your face. Imagine you lift someone else's face, then a week later you're in jail!

Nip/Tuck got crazy bad by the end (then ran like another 4 seasons or something) but I'll forever love that one season's main antagonist's big plot was to get a completely new face so he could change identities, and then he gets arrested straight after because the doctors just made a point of making him look 20 years younger but still with the same face, and the guy just didn't recognise his younger self anymore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shageletic posted:

you been watching Dungeon Meshi?

tho Frieren never really hit for me, that show def did.

I don't like the gimmick of dungeon meshi. I've had a try, but "let's cook things that don't exist and focus on that for most of the episode" is just...weird?

I like the gimmick of Freiren's "we saved the world, now what"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

^^Dungeon Meshi slowly expands the scope of what it’s about over time until it becomes one of the better examples of world-building I’ve seen. If you bounced off the initial premise, you might like what it becomes. Or you might not. But there’s a reason it gets talked about.

Shageletic posted:

We can all agree that Frieren isn't that good.

Yeah, Frieren is just that great instead.

Or at least the manga is, I haven’t had time to watch the anime because I have so many other things I need to watch.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Frieren is a slow burner but is definitely worthwhile, however its setting doesn't really change from generic fantasy which is what holds it back a bit imho

(I know that's somewhat on purpose because its picking apart such a setting but still)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched the first episode of Dark Winds season 2. Everything about it feels like a drop off from season 1. :smith:

The writing and acting are rough.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There is a lot of novel content being pushed out and it's obviously unsustainable, but my main gripe-comparison-with-00s is the production schedules. I know covid hosed a lot of poo poo up (and ended plenty of good shows for good!), but it feels dumb that we still have to wait what, 2-ish years for a new season of Incest and Dragons show, or The Boys, or almost anything. I'm OK with the fact that I can't consume everything that comes out because I only have so many hours for teevee in a day, and frankly that's fine since a lot of the novel content isn't stuff that'd necessarily even interest me, but god damnit it sucks waiting for stuff to pick up where we left off :argh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

There is a lot of novel content being pushed out and it's obviously unsustainable, but my main gripe-comparison-with-00s is the production schedules. I know covid hosed a lot of poo poo up (and ended plenty of good shows for good!), but it feels dumb that we still have to wait what, 2-ish years for a new season of Incest and Dragons show, or The Boys, or almost anything. I'm OK with the fact that I can't consume everything that comes out because I only have so many hours for teevee in a day, and frankly that's fine since a lot of the novel content isn't stuff that'd necessarily even interest me, but god damnit it sucks waiting for stuff to pick up where we left off :argh:

I'm starting to enjoy one-and-done shows a lot more. Back in the day we'd call them "mini-series" but no one seems to use that term anymore. I think it's because the streaming services always want to leave open the possibility they can squeeze another season out of it somehow or turn it into a franchise with spin-offs and reuse the name.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nowadays they call them "a limited series event".

When you think about it, every show is a limited series. Except the Simpsons

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I'm starting to enjoy one-and-done shows a lot more. Back in the day we'd call them "mini-series" but no one seems to use that term anymore. I think it's because the streaming services always want to leave open the possibility they can squeeze another season out of it somehow or turn it into a franchise with spin-offs and reuse the name.
Same. Baby Reindeer is the best thing I've seen from this year and theres no possibility of a second season, a spin off, a prequel or a multi-world saga. Seven brilliant episodes and a clear ending, done. I get more satisfaction out of that approach to TV now than I do anything else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I swiped away a clickbait about the stalker the show character was based on wanting their own version told, but I hope that was contained to sleazy mags trying to cash in on hot topics.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gorn Myson posted:

Same. Baby Reindeer is the best thing I've seen from this year and theres no possibility of a second season, a spin off, a prequel or a multi-world saga. Seven brilliant episodes and a clear ending, done. I get more satisfaction out of that approach to TV now than I do anything else.

Season Two will come out in a decade and be about Richard Gadd being sued into loving oblivion for failing to follow even basic safe guarding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently "Scavengers Reign" Season 1 will be on Netflix in the US and UK starting May 31st.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Little late to the party but they have got to stop trying to make Xena and Hercules romance a thing. Nobody is buying it, there is no chemistry there.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently "Scavengers Reign" Season 1 will be on Netflix in the US and UK starting May 31st.
This came on the heels of the news that Max cancelled it. Quite possibly one of the dumbest moves in television history.
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/scavengers-reign-canceled-max-netflix-1235998046/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Listening to the commentary of the Battlestar Galactica episode Black Market is very interesting, as Ronald D. Moore goes through the episode and apologizes for its various problems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DaveKap posted:

This came on the heels of the news that Max cancelled it. Quite possibly one of the dumbest moves in television history.
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/scavengers-reign-canceled-max-netflix-1235998046/

Zaslav is possibly the dumbest mother fucker to ever run a whatever the hell you call HBO/Warner. Oh wow, one of the most visually stunning animated series around, let's cancel it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth, and saw that it was good. This offended Zaslav, and he's been working on tearing it all down ever since.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite everyone saying it was a one and done the money must have been too much as Hiroyuki Sanada has signed a deal to do Shogun season 2.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1789014763487572106

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this! posted:

Despite everyone saying it was a one and done the money must have been too much as Hiroyuki Sanada has signed a deal to do Shogun season 2.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1789014763487572106

I'm sure this won't lead to a steep decline in quality at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've never been more disappointed that a show I absolutely loved got a second season

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Listening to the commentary of the Battlestar Galactica episode Black Market is very interesting, as Ronald D. Moore goes through the episode and apologizes for its various problems.

I used to love the podcast he did after each episode. What that show could have become if not for the writer's strikes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In good news: both Such Brave Girls and Ted have both been renewed for second seasons.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

In good news: both Such Brave Girls and Ted have both been renewed for second seasons.

Nice, I liked Such Brave Girls

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Medullah posted:

I've never been more disappointed that a show I absolutely loved got a second season

Yeah, what the gently caress. The show had such a great ending too.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DaveKap posted:

So there's still a chance Netflix will order a second season if it does well? :pray:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was going through some poo poo when Ted dropped, and it was absolutely what I needed.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Taeke posted:

So there's still a chance Netflix will order a second season if it does well? :pray:
Only if Netflix knows what's good for them.

And considering how well Delicious in Dungeon has been doing, they might!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apple cancelled "Constellation".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be okay with Scavengers Reign being cancelled as long as the same team stuck together and went on to do something else. The first season's story was nicely self-contained and the universe-opening tease at the end was cool and enigmatic enough that my imagination can run with it, but not inherently compelling enough that I'm mad I don't get to see what the deal with it is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not Dead Yet was also canceled. While not great I will miss this show. It was a super breezy comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I'd be okay with Scavengers Reign being cancelled as long as the same team stuck together and went on to do something else. The first season's story was nicely self-contained and the universe-opening tease at the end was cool and enigmatic enough that my imagination can run with it, but not inherently compelling enough that I'm mad I don't get to see what the deal with it is.

Yeah I'd love to see that story develop but it did end in a satisfying place. The greater thing is that this team did an amazing job and they should do more stories together.

E: it also satisfied a particular type of niche that isn't being well serviced right now: truly big and uncompromising sci fi that is as interested in the ecology of its universe as the people in it.

And since CGI for that would be prohibitively expensive it's natural that it's animated instead without sacrificing it's mature focus.