Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lobok posted:

On the other hand, Speed Racer owns.

this is why speed racer is one of the best movies ever made. it doesnt matter if its obvious when it looks good. speed racer is what movies could look like if they focused more on looking good than looking real. or sin city. or kung fu hustle. and frankly i trust george miller to understand this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

scary ghost dog posted:

this is why speed racer is one of the best movies ever made. it doesnt matter if its obvious when it looks good. speed racer is what movies could look like if they focused more on looking good than looking real. or sin city. or kung fu hustle. and frankly i trust george miller to understand this

do you really think everyone saying Furiosa looks ugly is unaware of the concept of 'style'

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cassian of Imola posted:

do you really think everyone saying Furiosa looks ugly is unaware of the concept of 'style'

no, but some of them might be

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
"some movies look different from other movies" isn't responsive to people saying a trailer looks different in a bad way. it's condescension with no point

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You know what? Sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAFsDEM0j4

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That last bit had me genuinely cackling, not gonna lie. That's some good goofin'.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The plot sounds liike The Beekeeper. The OAP Keeper.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The issue here is that Mad Max The Road Warrior has perfect photorealism because they actually just built and filmed all that stuff. Like, in order to make things "look real" Hollywood used to have to...just do the stuff. Look at Lawrence of Arabia.

The Road Warrior is such an well-shot movie. It's full of nothing but gorgeous shots.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Jimbot posted:

The Road Warrior is such an well-shot movie. It's full of nothing but gorgeous shots.

The shot where the camera is in the passenger seat of a car and we see one of Humungus' goons gets in the driver's seat and pulls up alongside the rig Max is driving which has been visible the whole time, is an all time great one imo.

I too feel a bit "eh" about the Furiosa trailers and I can't pin down why though. I wonder if it is just a style choice I need to accept. There are things that look green-screened that were actually shot outdoors for real.

It's like the recent The Fall Guy that had real stunts like Ryan Gosling being dragged over the Sydney Harbour Bridge that somehow look fake despite being real. Is it the cgi sheen being applied, or is cgi just a convenient scapegoat for when things aren't looking good in the eye of the beholder?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The trailer for Furiosa gives Hobbit flashbacks but the reviews say that's not the case.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

garycoleisgod posted:

The shot where the camera is in the passenger seat of a car and we see one of Humungus' goons gets in the driver's seat and pulls up alongside the rig Max is driving which has been visible the whole time, is an all time great one imo.

I too feel a bit "eh" about the Furiosa trailers and I can't pin down why though. I wonder if it is just a style choice I need to accept. There are things that look green-screened that were actually shot outdoors for real.

It's like the recent The Fall Guy that had real stunts like Ryan Gosling being dragged over the Sydney Harbour Bridge that somehow look fake despite being real. Is it the cgi sheen being applied, or is cgi just a convenient scapegoat for when things aren't looking good in the eye of the beholder?

I think color correction alone can make things look fake. I just rewatched Face/Off and the final boat chase feels more impressive than it did on release due to just letting the stunt work speak for itself.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

davidspackage posted:

Stupidly, this startled me because I have an unfinished story lying around with a similar concept.

Looks interesting indeed and I liked Border
/Grens a lot too.

Jesus Christ it is not often that a trailer makes me cry. That looks devastating.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lobok posted:

On the other hand, Speed Racer owns.

gently caress yeah

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just gonna leave this here

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 10, 2024

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Oh man tom Burke is in it?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kiimo posted:

I had no idea that existed and I worked for Warner Bros for four years.

:eyepop:

I went thre once and the only thing i remember about it is that the batman returns ride was terrifying (i vaguelly recall it being the fastest ride in the world in the nineties? Maybe just Aus?) Presumably they dont have that anymore

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 10, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I went on the oldest functional roller coaster a while back, at Luna Park in Melbourne. That sucked becsuse i'm tall but peeple used to be little and weren't nuts about things being "soft"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

This looks interesting. A movie about dead people returning to life from the author of Let The Right One In.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggB8pZWZuss

I've read the book. It's going to be a tough adaptation, but if they pull it off it's going to be the most pro watch of 2024.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The issue here is that Mad Max The Road Warrior has perfect photorealism because they actually just built and filmed all that stuff. Like, in order to make things "look real" Hollywood used to have to...just do the stuff. Look at Lawrence of Arabia.

Waterloo (1970) has its problems (the dubbing is my biggest issue) but compared to the recent Napoleon, I prefer the former. It's just an amazing achievement. The charge of the Scots Guard in particular (the actors clearly being on the back of trucks is forgivable imo). I doubt it would even be possible to make a movie like that now. 15 thousand extras in authentic uniforms.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
imo already Ridley Scott made the best film about Napoleon and its his first film.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Matte painting and rear projection disagree

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1790246100961788086?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A less cursed embed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1QyAYa60g

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
My first impression is 'Coppola's Cloud Atlas'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

one of the weirdest cast ensembles i've seen.

not really into coppola so i ain't losing sleep over it, but who knows maybe it'll end up not being a turd

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Saw Shia Labeouf. lol no, hard loving pass.

How about not casting abusers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Coppola's Dark City / The Matrix IMO

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Coppola's Titus

grobbo
May 29, 2014

edogawa rando posted:

How about not casting abusers?

Coppola worked hard to defend and financially support Victor Salva in the wake of his child abuse allegations (and allegedly put pressure on Salva's victim and family not to speak out), he does sadly have history on this front.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 14, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

hosed up peeple kinda do good, being a crazy person kinda helps artists

But they should not gently caress kids

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 14, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

grobbo posted:

Coppola worked hard to defend and financially support Victor Salva in the wake of his child abuse allegations (and allegedly put pressure on Salva's victim and family not to speak out), he does sadly have history on this front.

Oh right, I'd forgotten about his involvement with that loving nonce.

gently caress Coppola and gently caress each and every person involved in this movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alrighty!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CeeJee posted:

That's the first thing I thought, too. I can't tell if it'll be cool or terrible.

grobbo posted:

:yikes:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

edogawa rando posted:

Oh right, I'd forgotten about his involvement with that loving nonce.

gently caress Coppola and gently caress each and every person involved in this movie.

He also allegedly sexually harassed some female performers whilst filming this. There's a big party scene which involves topless dancers and he went around and groped and kissed them all in front of everyone to "get them in the mood". This is while his wife was dying at home.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wait who's "he" and is that what happened in this new movie?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Coppola sounds bad. Megaopolis trailer looks wild and has me interested.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This got an award at Cannes' Critic's Week last year and I already saw it on Malaysian Netflix. It's a spiritual remake of Ginger Snaps (girl transforms into monster after her first period) but it's set in rural Malaysia and the main characters are Gen Alpha, so cultural/religious trauma and Tiktok are important parts of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUwZGFDdQo

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Wow this actually looks really good

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think I read it was a retro near future retelling of Catiline and the moral decline of the republic, which is a tall order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That sounds kinda tedious but I'd watch it in theaters whatever the gently caress the premise is