Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The study abroad choices seem random, Sabra is owned by Frito-Lay (which is a subsidiary of PepsiCo) and produced in Virginia, their campus doesn't control the university endowment and can't actually make changes to it, and the commitment to bimonthly meetings to talk about Sabra until it is resolved is strange. How much are they expecting to talk about hummus that they need commitments for bimonthly meetings? And why is Sabra the only company cited instead of any that actually make things in Israel or are owned 100% by an Israeli company?

Sabra is co-owned by Pepsi and Strauss Group, the latter of which is an Israeli company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The study abroad choices seem random, Sabra is owned by Frito-Lay (which is a subsidiary of PepsiCo) and produced in Virginia, their campus doesn't control the university endowment and can't actually make changes to it, and the commitment to bimonthly meetings to talk about Sabra until it is resolved is strange. How much are they expecting to talk about hummus that they need commitments for bimonthly meetings? And why is Sabra the only company cited instead of any that actually make things in Israel or are owned 100% by an Israeli company?

quote:

[Sabra] is co-owned by PepsiCo and the Strauss Group.

quote:

Strauss Group Ltd. (Hebrew: שטראוס גרופ בע״מ), formerly known as Strauss-Elite (שטראוס עלית), is an Israeli manufacturer and marketer of consumer foods sold through retail stores. It is among the largest food manufacturers in Israel.

quote:

Until 2010, the Strauss Group stated on their English-language website that the company donated food packages to the Golani Brigade of the Israel Defense Forces.[20][21]

quote:

Following the deployment of Golani soldiers in Hebron in December 2011, the Left wing press has reported that city residents have sensed a 'manifest worsening of soldiers behavior', as a result of 'detention, intimidation, provocation and arrest of children and teenagers; arbitrary detention of Palestinians or blocking access to roads; beating or threatened beating of detained residents; religion-based provocation and insults; forcible entry into homes and violation of Palestinian property' and 'reprisals against local and international human rights activists.'[55][56]

Hope that helps explain the Sabra thing.

I recognize Sabra cause it's at the grocery store here and I buy it regularly but I guess knowing this now I'll get the other brands available.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 10, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frito-Lay only owns 50% of Sabra. The other 50% is owned by Strauss, an Israeli food manufacturer that has had a policy of providing free food and care packages to the Golani Brigade of the IDF for several decades. Needless to say, Strauss products have long been a target of BDS because of that.

Why single out Sabra? Because it's one of the few Strauss products sold in the US. It's probably the only food from an Israeli company being sold on campus cafeterias.

Why meet every two months? Because the agreement technically isn't about removing Sabra, it's about making sure it's "consistent" with some unspecified review policies. The university's statement doesn't have enough details for us to understand quite what that means. Maybe we'll hear more from the protesters, but until then, my best guess is that the university made excuses (which may or may not have been true) about being unable to make the change immediately for legal or contractual reasons, and persuaded the protesters to settle for a process which may or may not eventually result in removal.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

haveblue posted:

Yes. Both of them have easy-to-exploit hardware vulnerabilities and instructions for stealing them are circulating on Tiktok. Basically, if you rip out certain externally accessible parts you can get access to their CAN bus, which is just a simple computer network. You can then hack the computers on that network, such as the ones responsible for unlocking the doors and starting the engine

Nah iirc it's even simpler than that: there's a little piece of metal inside connecting the ignition to the keyslot that just so happens to perfectly slot into the end of a USB cable. Once you rip out the steering column you stick your USB cable onto the metal piece and turn it just like you would a normal key.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TGLT posted:

Sabra is co-owned by Pepsi and Strauss Group, the latter of which is an Israeli company.

The U.S. distribution is handled by Sabra Dipping Company LLC, which is an American LLC owned by Pepsi and their factory that produces all the American and Canadian Sabra products is in Virginia. Getting Sabra out of the dining hall isn't going to impact anything regardless, but if they did then most of the impact would be on the Pepsi LLC revenue and American workers in Virginia. Seems like there has to be something that is made is in Israel or is directly involved in Israel's war that would make a lot more sense.

The weirdness of the study abroad list and a commitment to just have meetings to talk about maybe getting Sabra out of the dining hall being the only concrete things in the deal feels like they settled for very little actual gains. Not sure why they folded for that.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
As others have commented above, Strauss Group also additionally made a point of donating to the IDF and so has long been a target of the BDS movement. Perhaps it's only the most minor of impacts, but any impact is an impact.

I don't know about the study abroad thing and will not comment without knowing more.

I also don't know where you're getting that Sabra Dipping Company LLC is uniquely owned by Pepsi?

"Sabra’s journey began in 1986 when NY-based entrepreneur Yehuda Pearl set out to introduce the beloved Mediterranean dip and spread to Americans. Sabra’s delicious, creamy hummus was a quick hit and its innovative packaging stood out on shelf. As it grew, it captured the attention of multinational food brands and in 2008 the Strauss Group and PepsiCo entered into a joint venture, each with 50% ownership opening doors and accelerating the growth of the brand, now practically synonymous with hummus today."

e: The Virginia Economic Development Partnership even refers to it as "A joint venture between PepsiCo and Strauss Group"

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 10, 2024

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The U.S. distribution is handled by Sabra Dipping Company LLC, which is an American LLC owned by Pepsi

Nope, that's the one that's co-owned by strauss.

I'll agree that it's pretty negligible but this "actually it has zero to do with any israeli companies at all" is also wrong.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Not sure why they folded for that.

Yeah it's not a revolution at the university but I think it's not hard to see why they settled. The university must've said something like "look, you can walk out of here as winners who achieved more concrete progress than the vast majority of this protests, or we can send on the cops, you'll all be arrested and/or expelled from the university. Either way the protests end tomorrow."

Maybe as a matter of solidarity with the people of Palestine they could've/should've insisted on staying out there with the corresponding sacrifices, but I can see why they didn't.

I know at Northwestern, where the protesters got a more generous settlement, there was still a lot of controversy over the negotiators "selling out."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 10, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
UC Riverside has a short FAQ:

quote:

Why are the School of Business Global Programs in Oxford, USA, Cuba, Vietnam, Brazil, China, Egypt, Jordan, and Israel being discontinued as part of the agreement?

Through our dialogue, we learned that these study-abroad programs were not offered under the auspices of the UC Riverside Office of International Affairs, nor are they consistent with university policies. So they are being discontinued.

Why is Sabra Hummus being singled out for review?

Sabra's name was included in the agreement because it was mentioned in the protestors' list of demands. Sabra's availability on campus will be reviewed in the same manner as other vendors. All campus vendors are subjected to the same standards.

Also here is the actual document:

quote:

Commitment to bimonthly meetings with the AVC of Auxiliary Services and an ongoing review of Sabra Hummus...

It looks like it's two different things to be honest. They will have bimonthly meetings and and review the hummus issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

reignonyourparade posted:

Nope, that's the one that's co-owned by strauss.

I'll agree that it's pretty negligible but this "actually it has zero to do with any israeli companies at all" is also wrong.

I'm not saying it has nothing to do with any Israeli companies. I'm just saying that it is weird to single that out because it has no real impact, and even if it did have an impact the primary impact would be on an American factory in Virginia and 50% of an American company, and a promise to have discussions to talk about considering the possibility of removing hummus from the dining hall every two months seems like a really weak concession.

Maybe Sabra is literally the only company that does business with UC, but if you had to get a token symbolic gesture you would at least want it to be a company that makes products in Israel or is involved with the war.

Combined with the strange study abroad list and the other stuff it just seems like a weak set of concessions that aren't real commitments or will have any impact. Seems like a weird list to close up shop over.

Edit:

Boris Galerkin posted:

It looks like it's two different things to be honest. They will have bimonthly meetings and and review the hummus issue.

Thanks. The FAQ answers some of the questions, but the study abroad response is still extremely vague and doesn't really say anything.

Edit: 2

TGLT posted:

I also don't know where you're getting that Sabra Dipping Company LLC is uniquely owned by Pepsi?

You are correct. It is managed entirely in partnership with the U.S. PepsiCo distribution network, but Pepsi only directly owns 50%.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 10, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I'm not saying it has nothing to do with any Israeli companies. I'm just saying that it is weird to single that out because it has no real impact, and even if it did have an impact the primary impact would be on an American factory in Virginia and 50% of an American company, and a promise to have discussions to talk about considering the possibility of removing hummus from the dining hall every two months seems like a really weak concession.

Maybe Sabra is literally the only company that does business with UC, but if you had to get a token symbolic gesture you would at least want it to be a company that makes products in Israel or is involved with the war.

It's a company that's based in Israel and openly brags about supporting the IDF.

Moreover, it's a company that's on the BDS movement's list of top boycott targets, and has been for years. The students almost certainly took their list of companies to complain about from BDS, rather than independently making their own list. And let's look at what BDS themselves says about it:

quote:

Sabra hummus is a joint venture between PepsiCo and the Strauss Group, an Israeli food company that provides financial support to the Israeli army.

Short, sweet, and to the point.

If half the impact goes to an American company, then that is also a good thing, because it signals to American companies that they shouldn't tie themselves to products that are involved in supporting the occupation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

According to the Washington Post, Trump allegedly called in all the CEOs of big oil companies and offered them "a deal" to give him $1 billion dollars in exchange for reversing all of the Biden administration's new regulations on oil production, dramatically reducing taxes on oil companies, and end the ban on drilling in the gulf of Mexico and natural gas exports on "the first day" of his presidency.

They said they had spent $400 million lobbying the Biden administration, but were getting minimal results. Trump said to stop spending the money on lobbying and to directly fund a Super PAC for him instead as an investment that they would more than make their money back from.

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1788582607086579771

I know it probably isn't for nebulous reasons but this just seems super illegal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to the Supreme Court, since the money would be in the form of a wire transfer and not a burlap sack with a dollar sign on it, this is not corruption

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Boris Galerkin posted:

So did the business school create rogue study abroad programs then?

Still weird

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Push El Burrito posted:

I know it probably isn't for nebulous reasons but this just seems super illegal.

"I already believed in these things and was going to do them, so I was just telling them to support what was in their own best interest. Also, prove it was an intentional quid pro quo. The only evidence is some anonymous quotes from people at the meeting."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So did the business school create rogue study abroad programs then?

Still weird

And only the business school? Other study abroad trips to those countries from other departments are fine. It is a really weird situation that I wish they actually provided some specific details on how those programs were unsanctioned and what happened.

Just seems weak in general and not a great get as a concession to shut down the protests. Talking about maybe getting hummus out of the dining hall isn't really going to impact anything. Apparently, Sabra has never contributed anything to the IDF and their co-parent company stopped donating food to the Golani brigade in 2010. Even if there were any impact, none of the products are manufactured in Israel. Even the original organizer of the boycott says there wasn't really much of a direct connection and it was just the most famous brand they could find that was tangentially associated with it.

Feels like they should have held out or asked for something more impactful.

quote:

Sabra is based in Queens and Virginia, and a spokeswoman said the company had never contributed “hummus or anything else” to the Israeli military.

quote:

The Strauss Group, co-owners with PepsiCo, donated food to the Golani brigade (part of Israel's army) up through 2010.

quote:

Yoel Bitran, president of the Princeton Committee on Palestine, said that although the connection to the Golani brigade was not particularly direct, it was enough to warrant a boycott of Sabra products and his group’s referendum effort.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 10, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I don't see how that Trump/Oil thing isn't illegal quid pro quo. Isn't soliciting donations for your super pac explicitly for executive actions while in office a no no? I don't see that would be that hard to prove when you have multiple people confirming to wapo that it happened? What am I missing?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I don't see how that Trump/Oil thing isn't illegal quid pro quo. Isn't soliciting donations for your super pac explicitly for executive actions while in office a no no? I don't see that would be that hard to prove when you have multiple people confirming to wapo that it happened? What am I missing?

if they don't hand him a bag of money with a $ on the side and a note that says "THIS IS MONEY FOR BRIBING YOU" and he doesn't say back "Thank you for your bribe money, i will now do the thing you're bribing to me, as you can see in this official form i have signed where i agree to be bribed", then it doesn't meet the burden of evidence

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

According to the Washington Post, Trump allegedly called in all the CEOs of big oil companies and offered them "a deal" to give him $1 billion dollars in exchange for reversing all of the Biden administration's new regulations on oil production, dramatically reducing taxes on oil companies, and end the ban on drilling in the gulf of Mexico and natural gas exports on "the first day" of his presidency.

They said they had spent $400 million lobbying the Biden administration, but were getting minimal results. Trump said to stop spending the money on lobbying and to directly fund a Super PAC for him instead as an investment that they would more than make their money back from.
On a related note, he would also dismantle NOAA, splitting it between privatization and outright shuttering.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zero_Grade posted:

On a related note, he would also dismantle NOAA, splitting it between privatization and outright shuttering.

That's not really surprising because he tried to ban the National Weather Service from offering information that was provided by private companies and install Accuweather's CEO as the head of NOAA during his first term, but the Senate refused to consider his nomination, so the NOAA post was empty for over two years before he got cancer and had to withdraw his nomination.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Gonna be real fun to pay for a WeatherMax Premium+ subscription to get tornado warnings.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

deoju posted:

Gonna be real fun to pay for a WeatherMax Premium+ subscription to get tornado warnings.

Tornado warnings and things like that are technically posted publicly for free by Accuweather and they promised to keep doing so even if NWS was banned from making them free.

Even if you take them completely at face value, the real issue under his original proposal is that the alerts would no longer be provided to local governments for free and towns that didn't pay for the service may have seen a delay of 3 to 7 minutes in their alerts, which would likely cost lives.

John Oliver did a very good deep dive about 5 years ago when the semi-privatization plan for the NWS and NOAA was being proposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGn9T37eR8

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

That business school study abroad program only offered those countries. Essentially that entire program was shut down. And this wasn't a general school study abroad program, it was a specific program within that department.

Here's a fun read on their Oxford program:

quote:

The 2023 Oxford Young Entrepreneurial Leadership Program will focus on the Internet of Value and how technology is reshaping the workplace. The program will explore cutting-edge new technologies such as Blockchain, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies. Learning outcomes will further target how artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning can enhance organizational productivity. The skills learned in the program will develop entrepreneurial awareness, intellectual creativity, and leadership capabilities which can be applied in all industries.

The Learning Experience: Students will experience the majesty and inspiration of Oxford and receive customized lectures from experts in the must-know topics of our time. Themes will include: Corporate Sustainability and Purposeful Organizations, Blockchain, Crypto, AI, Impact Investing and Raising Venture Capital. The program will also explore: Complex Problem Solving and Business Strategy, the Post Pandemic Economy, China Decoupling, Slowbalization and Geo Political Flashpoints.

Bitcoin university lmao

Anyway these "programs" seem to basically just be fancy weeklong vacations all led by the same guy more than an actual study program

Here's the itinerary for the Egypt/Israel trip:

quote:

Why Egypt? - Egypt is a word with a thousand meanings. On this special program unique among university global programs, you will experience one of the largest cities in the world, Cairo, whose antiquity and modernity will advance your knowledge of civilization. Riding camels by the Great Pyramids of Giza and entering the pyramid to see the burial chamber of the pharaoh is among the great events of a lifetime. Traveling to Luxor and walking the tombs in the Valley of the Kings where King Tut is buried will be the envy of your friends—so bring them with you. The program's itinerary below will inspire you to return to world travel, to learn from the past, to see the present and to add global competitiveness to your future.

Program Overview (2023):
Saturday, Aug 26: Fly Los Angeles-Cairo
Sunday, Aug 27: Arrival Cairo. Visit Egyptian Museum at Tahrir Square
Monday, Aug 28: Visit Giza Pyramids & Sphinx
Tuesday, Aug 29: Visit Old Cairo. Fly to Luxor
Wednesday, Aug 30: Visit Valley of Kings
Thursday, Aug 31: Visit Karnak & Luxor Temples. Fly to Amman
Friday, Sep 1: Visit Petra, travel to Jerusalem
Saturday, Sep 2: Visit Jerusalem
Sunday, Sep 3: Visit Jerusalem
Monday, Sep 4: Travel to Tel Aviv
Tuesday, Sep 5: Return to Los Angeles

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if they don't hand him a bag of money with a $ on the side and a note that says "THIS IS MONEY FOR BRIBING YOU" and he doesn't say back "Thank you for your bribe money, i will now do the thing you're bribing to me, as you can see in this official form i have signed where i agree to be bribed", then it doesn't meet the burden of evidence

see also: Bob Menendez, who checked all necessary boxes to be illegally bribed with Egyptian gold bars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like how less than half of the egypt field trip is in egypt

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That's not really surprising because he tried to ban the National Weather Service from offering information that was provided by private companies and install Accuweather's CEO as the head of NOAA during his first term, but the Senate refused to consider his nomination, so the NOAA post was empty for over two years before he got cancer and had to withdraw his nomination.
Oh yeah it's not surprising, just another example of the complete destruction of the federal government that would happen should he get re-elected.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

That business school study abroad program only offered those countries. Essentially that entire program was shut down. And this wasn't a general school study abroad program, it was a specific program within that department.

Here's a fun read on their Oxford program:

Bitcoin university lmao

Anyway these "programs" seem to basically just be fancy weeklong vacations all led by the same guy more than an actual study program

Here's the itinerary for the Egypt/Israel trip:

That is wild and I wonder how this guy set up multiple week-long world tours that were apparently unsanctioned by the school for so long and how these ended up being discovered as part of the protest. Someone had to be giving him or distributing the money and planning the accommodations for these.

Was the school just unaware that one of their staff members and dozens of students were disappearing for 1-2 weeks multiple times per year? It's a public school as well, so there is technically supposed to be a treasurer auditing this stuff as well and they appear to have either dropped the ball or someone in admin was just approving these without thinking about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 10, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Just seems weak in general and not a great get as a concession to shut down the protests. Talking about maybe getting hummus out of the dining hall isn't really going to impact anything. Apparently, Sabra has never contributed anything to the IDF and their co-parent company stopped donating food to the Golani brigade in 2010. Even if there were any impact, none of the products are manufactured in Israel. Even the original organizer of the boycott says there wasn't really much of a direct connection and it was just the most famous brand they could find that was tangentially associated with it.

Feels like they should have held out or asked for something more impactful.

How much of a direct connection to Israeli atrocities in Gaza do you think colleges actually have? There just isn't that much of a link in the first place. That's likely why the students were willing to settle for what seems like so little - the colleges are mostly just symbolic targets in the first place. The idea is to target the colleges' moral culpability and further the goals of the BDS movement by making involvement with Israel increasingly unacceptable and frowned-upon, not to directly harm the war effort.

And in that regard, Sabra is a fantastic target. For one thing, the colleges are generally reselling it in branded packaging, which makes it immediately visible to students that the college is using Sabra hummus (and also makes it immediately visible if the college changes brands). For another, it's very easy for the colleges to change hummus brands, and therefore is an excellent way to get highly-visible BDS wins without requiring the college to undergo significant hardships. The students got the college to (at least think about) joining the Boycott of one of the top brands on BDS's "brands to boycott" list. That's absolutely a win.

The co-parent company did not stop donating food to the Golani Brigade in 2010. In response to BDS pressure back in 2010, they removed the part of their English-language website that publicly announced that they donated food to the Golani Brigade...but they didn't remove it from their Hebrew-language website at the time, according to the Jerusalem Post at the time. While that page has since vanished into the constant churn of rebrandings and website updates in the 14 years since, and the Strauss Group's website no longer mentions the Golani Brigade, there's no evidence that they've actually stopped said donations. Especially since their current website still talks in a more generic sense about sending free food and care packages to soldiers and otherwise financially supporting IDF divisions and bases.

Push El Burrito posted:

It's not, at all. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with "please financially support my candidacy, because I intend to make policy changes that will likely help your industry". As long as political donations are legal, it's only natural for people to donate to candidates that will pass policies that are likely to benefit them, and in turn it's only natural for politicians to focus their fundraising appeals on those likely to benefit from the politician's policies. And as long as it stays that abstract and general, and as long as the political donations are done through the proper channels and reported to the FEC, it's fine.

It only feels off because Trump lacks any class at all; typically, politicians will beat around the bush at least a little bit instead of just coming out and straight-up saying it outright.

What about Menendez? Well, he wasn't pursuing policies that would generally benefit a group or industry that happened to donate a lot to him. He had envelopes of off-the-books cash hidden all over his house, and in return he was doing direct personal favors for the specific people who gave him that money, such as intentionally disrupting and pressuring and interfering with a federal investigation into one of the bribers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

From the UC Riverside subreddit, this is allegedly the email the university sent to alumni, emphasis mine:

quote:

On Friday, May 3, UC Riverside announced an agreement to peacefully end the encampment on campus. I am grateful that it was able to be resolved without incident through dialogue in a way that affirms our commitment to a safe environment on campus.

For our alumni, friends, and supporters of the university, I feel it is essential to share information beyond what was in our original agreement announcement. As a public research university with highly engaged students, faculty, alumni, and friends, we are electing to encourage our constituents to actively participate in the operations of the campus - even when the issues are sensitive and complex.

The decision to pursue an agreement to end the encampment was driven by our university values - we value safety, transparency, and a willingness to engage in constructive dialogue.

The agreement is consistent with UCR's mission of education and research: providing access to information and engaging students in research so that they can learn more about how their university operates and provide input into those operations. It also reinforces our commitment to student safety and to maintaining a learning environment free of discrimination.

I stated in my message to the campus on April 29 that my highest priority is the physical and psychological safety of every UC Riverside student, staff, and faculty member. Our Jewish students, and other students and employees, made it clear that a long-term encampment on our campus was not viable if we were to have our campus community feel safe. I am grateful that we concluded the encampment peacefully.

After our initial meeting with students, we promptly began looking into the issues they raised. The follow up we did on concerns raised by students about Global Programs in the School of Business revealed that faculty were leading study abroad trips to nine different countries that were neither approved nor overseen by the Office of International Affairs, putting students and the university at risk. This apparent failure to follow proper procedures also meant that these programs were not vetted to ensure compliance with university policies and procedures, including our nondiscrimination policies.

Per the UC Anti-Discrimination Policy released on Feb. 20, 2024, it is incumbent on UCR to ensure that its students do not experience discrimination or harassment while enrolled in a study abroad program. These School of Business faculty members may apply to run their trips through the sanctioned and supported UCR Education Abroad program.

The University of California system, like other institutions, had already suspended all study abroad to Israel because after the war began it was designated a "war risk" country within the context of UC's travel insurance policies.

Since last Friday, I have been asked whether UCR has chosen to divest from Israel. The simple answer is no. There is no commitment to divest from anything. And at no point in the discussion did students raise the issue of divestment from Israel. They instead focused on divestment from companies engaged in weapons manufacturing and delivery.

We did, however, commit to creating an advisory task force that will draw on the diversity and expertise of the campus community to bring together individuals (students, faculty, and administrators) willing to work together to research publicly available investment practices and to write a report that will be shared with key stakeholders.

Convening task forces to research issues, produce reports, and share information for decision-making bodies to consider is a common practice at our campus and many universities.

It really sounds like the university did nothing but give lip service lmao. Also loving the bit about the Jewish students not feeling safe due to people encamping long-term. It's kind of like poetry, it rhymes.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

PhazonLink posted:

there used to be a twitter account that did something like "not a drag queen" and had like dozens of youth pastors and other R adjacent peeps, but im prettysure the account died in musk's mess in the last two years or so.

@antifaoperative is doing the work these days, and I'm sure it would shock you that the majority of folks they post about are white middle-American religious leaders who rape kids or are convicted of possessing videos/images of said rapes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a little weird to be asking "why Sabra ?" . If you've ever been to a pro-Palestine march or event, or engaged in any way with BDS or earlier boycott movements in the last 25 years you know about Sabra and Sodastream for sure, they're the poster-boys for easy changes you can make to your consumer habits that hit the Israeli bottom-line

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a little weird to be asking "why Sabra ?" . If you've ever been to a pro-Palestine march or event, or engaged in any way with BDS or earlier boycott movements in the last 25 years you know about Sabra and Sodastream for sure, they're the poster-boys for easy changes you can make to your consumer habits that hit the Israeli bottom-line

My question wasn't "Why Sabra?" and was more "Why is cancelling some business school trips that are mostly unrelated to Israel in any way and getting an agreement to talk about maybe getting hummus out of the dining hall the thing that got you to agree to shut it all down?" Seems like there has to have been something more concrete they could have gotten or they could have just kept going.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1788582607086579771

I'd be absolutely shocked if the oil industry wasn't already donating to Trump. I wonder how this all played out since I would have expected Trump to reverse oil production regulations and taxes anyway.

You lobby the people currently in power. You donate to those who might not be in power but will get you more of what you want. You play all the angles.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My question wasn't "Why Sabra?" and was more "Why is shutting down some business school trips that are mostly unrelated and getting an agreement to talk about maybe getting hummus out of the dining hall the thing that got you to agree to shut it all down?" Seems like there has to have been something more concrete they could have gotten or they could have just kept going.

Let's turn this around: what kinds of things do you think they could have gotten?

Like I said, most universities don't really have that much direct involvement with Israel. The protests are targeting the universities because they're a convenient target that plays a large role in the students' current lives.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'd be absolutely shocked if the oil industry wasn't already donating to Trump. I wonder how this all played out since I would have expected Trump to reverse oil production regulations and taxes anyway.

You lobby the people currently in power. You donate to those who might not be in power but will get you more of what you want. You play all the angles.

Trump's not saying "I'll only give you the things you want if you give me money". He's saying "since I'm going to do the things you want, you should give me lots of money to help me win so I can do those things". There's no quid pro pro there. He's not conditioning his pro-fossil fuels policies on receiving a specific amount of money, he's just saying that he needs lots of money to win, and they should give him that money since they won't get his pro-fossil fuels policies if he loses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In case anyone forgot, a porn star testified today under oath that Donald Trump, a former president of the United States, had intercourse with her while he was married and then paid her to not tell the story.
As I recall, Daniels said that she felt coerced--she was delivered to his hotel room by the sort of no-necks who always accompany people like Trump, and felt like she couldn't say no. I get why "He hosed a PORN STAR!!!" is an easier headline than "He kinda sorta committed rape," but it was rape and I feel like that's what should be emphasized.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

My question wasn't "Why Sabra?" and was more "Why is cancelling some business school trips that are mostly unrelated to Israel in any way and getting an agreement to talk about maybe getting hummus out of the dining hall the thing that got you to agree to shut it all down?" Seems like there has to have been something more concrete they could have gotten or they could have just kept going.

Main Paineframe posted:

Let's turn this around: what kinds of things do you think they could have gotten?

Like I said, most universities don't really have that much direct involvement with Israel. The protests are targeting the universities because they're a convenient target that plays a large role in the students' current lives.
The other thing to keep in mind is that it's the end of the Spring semester. Students are going to be leaving, so it's nice to get something vaguely resembling a win before everyone skedaddles anyway.

This is also why the violent crackdowns are so stupid. Just wait until everyone leaves in a month!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jethro posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that it's the end of the Spring semester. Students are going to be leaving, so it's nice to get something vaguely resembling a win before everyone skedaddles anyway.

This is also why the violent crackdowns are so stupid. Just wait until everyone leaves in a month!

Eh, I wouldn't say violent crackdown are stupid in this context. If you're starting from the perspective that you don't want the violence then yeah, sure, they're counter productive. If you're not though, they get the point across that stuff like getting the poo poo beat out of you and then arrested for assaulting the officers with your blood will be a consequence of these actions.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jethro posted:

they don't have that kind of self control lol

like usually my go to on this is "the violence is the point" but it isn't even really that, that implies too much intent and thought behind it. in this case it's just that the protests get them so heated they just get super hyped up to crack some heads, like, administratively through the state

thats why it was so remarkable when a few police departments were like "uh, ... no, that's not warranted yet"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Organizers of the Democratic National Convention this summer are so concerned about protestors that they may pre-tape the roll call from the state delegations as they did in 2020:

quote:

President Joe Biden’s top advisers are all too aware the ghosts of 1968 may haunt their convention here, but they’re grappling with a pair of more urgent and thoroughly modern-day challenges as summer nears: How far can they go in reprising their virtual 2020 convention to mitigate the threat of disruption inside the arena, and how will they navigate a rookie mayor who unabashedly sympathizes with protesters?

Trumpeting the success of their Covid-era convention four years ago, some in Biden’s orbit are aggressively pushing to make the 2024 conclave a hybrid production. That would mean in-person speeches from the president, party luminaries and rising stars to draw television attention alongside a mix of pre-recorded testimonials and videos from other parts of the country.

The goal: drive maximum viewership on television and the internet while minimizing live programming and openings for protest in Chicago’s United Center. This would mean moving party business, such as rules and platform votes, off the floor and denying would-be demonstrators a chance to seize on contentious debates.

While the Biden campaign, White House and convention planners have only just started hatching plans, senior Democrats tell me they’re discussing whether to conduct such business before the convention even begins or move it out of the arena and across town to McCormick Place, their other Chicago venue. Serendipitously, Biden’s advisers may have a very good reason to move up such housekeeping: If the Ohio Legislature does not relax its ballot certification deadline, which is before the Democrats’ August convention, the DNC may have no choice but to technically nominate the president before the conclave begins.

Also under consideration for Chicago: reviving the pre-taped delegation roll call from each state featured in 2020.

Not only were the clips memorable — who could forget the Rhode Island chef standing on a state beach with a plate of calamari — but a video montage also means one less opportunity for hot mic spontaneity, and therefore disruption, from 50 states and territories worth of delegates.

“If there is one peep in that hall, the networks will be all over it,” a convention planner lamented.

The challenge, of course, is that the delegates attending and, more to the point, the donors financing the convention expect the rites of an in-person convention. The political convention industrial complex remains strong after centuries of tradition, no matter how much the operative class relished having total control over what was effectively a multi-day commercial four years ago.

So with campus protests over the war in Gaza raging and Biden being disrupted nearly everywhere he goes, Chicago’s organizers are plotting on how to preempt opportunities for heckling and quickly tamp down demonstrators who do get into the arena.

The story then goes on to be somewhat salty about Mayor Johnson wanting to preserve the rights of protestors to petition their government while other elected officials are more circumspect:

quote:

“If there’s any mayor that understands the value of protest and demonstration, it’s me,” Johnson told reporters earlier this week at a groundbreaking, dismissing a question about Sen. Dick Durbin’s (D-Ill.) concerns over unrest in the city during the convention. Johnson said, “Without protests and real demands of a government, people of color and women do not have a place in society.”

More striking was how Johnson responded to whether he thought it was appropriate for police to have been dispatched last weekend to a protest at one of Chicago’s art museums. He spoke in a detached manner — the museum “made that request and the police department reacted,” the mayor said — evading the question and leaving the impression he somehow wasn’t in charge of the city and its police department.

Johnson praised the importance of protecting free speech and initially said that was paramount to safety, which he called “second most important,” before seeming to recognize his error.

When I asked him what his vision of a successful Democratic convention looked like, Johnson repeated the same formulation — “safe, vibrant and energetic” — before saying he wanted young people to “see what democracy really looks like.”

At no point did he mention Joe Biden or the importance of the convention in helping the president’s reelection.

It was an eye-opening exchange. And it made clear why so many Democrats, in Chicago and beyond, respond to questions about Johnson with a sigh and hope that he’ll recognize the weight of this moment, both for his career, the city and the country.

(more here)

It'll be fascinating to watch the inherent dichotomy between a campaign premised on "saving democracy" and any attempts to squelch any visible protests.

Sherrod Brown will be very happy if the nomination ceremony is moved ahead of the Ohio deadline instead of scheduled for the convention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should do it like that from now on, but because it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah 100%, that was the best roll call in recent memory and I'd be real sad if they went back to the boring old way

In fact, every state should have a regional food in frame