Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Beached Whale posted:

If you don't move in the first 10 or so seconds here you'll get the short heads up honk and then if you still don't go it usually turns into a chorus of angry honks, maybe it's a northeast thing but people are not afraid to lay it on if you're dawdling.
I've noticed that a lot of times enough critical mass of people are on their phone that they only notice that the light has turned green if they see movement out of their peripheral so there's been cases where there's like 8 cars back at a green light and don't notice for way too long.

but yes there should be a chorus if someone has been glued to their phone even 2 seconds past turning green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Every day I see people driving into the intersection while the light is still red, so if you're waiting to see green you're already too slow.

Lol we give it a beat or two here on green before going (assuming we don't have the before mentioned conga line of cellphone users) because there's going to be some folks coming through fast after they get the red

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
they've slowly transitioned all of the lights here to give the pedestrian signal an extra 2-3 seconds before the cars get a green.

so now people just start moving as soon as they see the blue walking guy. very cool.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Beached Whale posted:

If you don't move in the first 10 or so seconds here you'll get the short heads up honk and then if you still don't go it usually turns into a chorus of angry honks, maybe it's a northeast thing but people are not afraid to lay it on if you're dawdling.

10 seconds lol ill give you two seconds to stop using your phone then im honking

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

BonHair posted:

The cost of owning a car for three months is probably the same as the total cost of an ebike too.
Out here in the suburbs of Copenhagen, the majority of bikes I see are electric, and based on their general riding ability*, they're probably mostly former car commuters.

*Both attention to traffic flow and technique. And tyre pressure, jesus gently caress, pump your tyres!

Car insurance here in the US is getting more and more expensive and the average new car payment is over $700 so a lot of people pay $1K+ per month for 1 car. About 18 months ago my wife and I sold our second car and bought an ebike, we didn't have a huge car payment but the $$$ we saved is crazy and now I am about to roll over 4,000 miles on the ebike so the gas savings is big too.

US car brain loving sucks and I wish I could live somewhere with fewer cars.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i sold my car may 2019 to move to nyc, have not owned since. we trade living in a slightly more expensive urban part of portland for the transit access when we moved from nyc.

i chase remote roles and my partner is a nurse that only goes to work 3-4x max a week. all the hospitals are n transit lines. we really don't need a car.

we maybe drop like $100/m for an uber occasionally to get back and forth to suburban areas. we tried local taxi service but it's a bit more pricey. sometimes i miss the convenience but then think about the 10-15k a year we save.

i had an ex-coworker who also lives here an is mind blown about us not owning one. i caught up with him recently and he still was like, "why no own car?!?!"

cheese eats mouse has issued a correction as of 23:37 on May 9, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I wanna watch this movie now

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I am in SE Portland and bike to work, wife is home with our newborn so at times our car doesn't leave the driveway for days/week at a time but I personally couldn't live here without a car. I like getting out of town to hike, ski and whatnot but you really don't need a car to live in Portland if like you said, live within Portland proper.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

500excf type r posted:

10 seconds lol ill give you two seconds to stop using your phone then im honking

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I definitely would like to get out to hike more, but my partner works every other weekend and so the weekends he’s free we’re usually doing other things.

also, it’s like $300 a month for a garage spot in our apartment complex.:wtc:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

raggedphoto posted:

I am in SE Portland and bike to work, wife is home with our newborn so at times our car doesn't leave the driveway for days/week at a time but I personally couldn't live here without a car. I like getting out of town to hike, ski and whatnot but you really don't need a car to live in Portland if like you said, live within Portland proper.

IMO, hiking and other outdoors activities are perfectly valid reasons to have a car. That said, I do wish smaller and cheaper cars were more readily available because I really don't want a 30k car just to go out to the Appalachian Trail a couple of times a month here near Philly.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I live in Denver; not being able to gently caress off to anywhere in the mountains any time I want is like the one thing I miss about having a car.

doesn’t outweigh the benefits obviously, and I do have the options of carpooling or limited public transit options, but still

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
If public transit could take me to the trail I’d prefer that for sure. spent a week in Zion doing some canyoneering, the park is closed to car traffic during peak season so you have to bus it around. After 12 hours of working, swimming and repelling through a canyon I had the pleasure of sitting next to a well to do woman in all white, purse in hand and looking horrified at my sweaty rear end and dirty rope bag inches from her. petty I know but you could just tell she was so pissed about having to get on a bus.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if you need a car once a month just rent one, im sure thats cheaper than owning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

raggedphoto posted:

If public transit could take me to the trail I’d prefer that for sure. spent a week in Zion doing some canyoneering, the park is closed to car traffic during peak season so you have to bus it around. After 12 hours of working, swimming and repelling through a canyon I had the pleasure of sitting next to a well to do woman in all white, purse in hand and looking horrified at my sweaty rear end and dirty rope bag inches from her. petty I know but you could just tell she was so pissed about having to get on a bus.

Yeah she was hoping for a bear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

My wife and I used to do this. Whenever we had something coming up that we really wanted to take a car for, we'd rent one for the day. I guess we only really stopped once the nearby rental service became too unreliable.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what kind of tint should i put on my drivers side window?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_uPF0rCls

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

Paint it black.

I think it would make sense to have cars owned by hoas (where I live they're good, just go with it), so you have like 50 houses sharing a car or two that you can borrow when you actually need it for something. Then it also makes sense to have a pickup, because it will actually be hauling poo poo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

yeah, I do a lot of trail running and we always used zipcars and rentals to get to trailheads on weekends when we lived in the city. depending on our itinerary it could be a pain in the rear end (we'd have to pick the car up the night before if it was a rental rather than a zipcar) but it was undoubtedly cheaper than ownership if that was the only thing we needed the car for.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steel spool fell off a truck and crushed a car today

People get really pissed off when you point out that they're choosing to live a lifestyle where they have to dodge poo poo like this on a daily basis.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Steel spool fell off a truck and crushed a car today

People get really pissed off when you point out that they're choosing to live a lifestyle where they have to dodge poo poo like this on a daily basis.

this is my worst nightmare, thanks Final Destination 2

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
good. one less car on the road. no one should choose to own a car.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FlagelloMagoo4u/status/1788930537182159015?t=F2WATrHIbn7Maa6oRwrJUA&s=19

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

this dude sounds like a huge weenie

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Let me guess, without looking it up, js-16 is some fourteen words bullshit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I didn't know I was a part of something cool sounding like a Dark Triad. Is there some kind of cyberpunk aesthetic I need to follow?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

I didn't know I was a part of something cool sounding like a Dark Triad. Is there some kind of cyberpunk aesthetic I need to follow?

dark triad is your barred out bpd gf basically

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Why do these people hate bike lanes so much, if there's more people on bikes that's less people in cars causing traffic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Beached Whale posted:

Why do these people hate bike lanes so much, if there's more people on bikes that's less people in cars causing traffic.

Yeah but why do bike ppl gotta be so SMUG about it *waves fist driverlishly*

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

john 3:16 probably

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Salt Fish posted:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

26 words actually

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

It's because I zip by the endless line of cars on my bike every morning.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Beached Whale posted:

They 100% believe "because it's common sense" that that bike lane is slowing them down.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Smythe posted:

barred out bpd gf

need that in my life...

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

That bike lane takes up half of a traffic lane or a parking lane as is appropriate for the argument they want to have.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

it's this, I've seen videos of drivers throwing a tantrum and swerving into cyclists that are passing them while they're standing still.

This guy here freaked the gently caress out and physically assaulted a cyclist for passing him while he sat at a light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JUf7rldXw

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

beautiful day out so everyone is fuckin driving. I don’t get it!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Fellow citizens”?

Dude’s gonna be canceled by the rest of the regressives for that one. Clearly they’re all illegal immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

BonHair posted: