Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

The complication might be slightly overblown, the tedium though...

Honestly, it's annoying but it's not all THAT bad considering that high-tier crafted stuff just doesn't exist on console. It's a good thing that you guys forced me to learn it and now I'm at least somewhat comfortable and understand the mechanics behind it.

Honestly, crafting is obtuse and difficult to grasp for new players (me) because:
* There's probably a better way to describe "Implicit" and "explicit mods on items. Those terms aren't great and if they had dome something like "major tier/minor mods" it probably would have made more sense to people without overthinking it.
* There's no rhyme or reason to what constitutes a prefix and what constitutes a suffix. It's completely arbitraty
* Item mod tiers are not explained anywhere in-game and only exist as a meta mechanic which you have to learn elsewhere. This also goes for most crafting mechanics. There are no tutorials and nothing is explained.
* Tiers are not consistent from mod to mod
* Multiple crafting methods exist to reach the same end result and although there's overlap between them, some are better than others and you really need to understand how it all fits together before you can make that determination on your own. Some crafting methods play nice together and some do not and there's nothing to tell you what works unless the player has access to a forum like this one.
* As whypick1 mentioned, no matter what you choose it's going to be horribly tedious, time consuming and expensive.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

wemgo posted:

Okay. Here goes:
Thanks a ton for all this. I'll dig into it tomorrow when I have time; I appreciate the effort.

Jesus christ though, this:

wemgo posted:

Your Desecrate skill gem should go in the first gem slot in your body armor, then DDoCR, then LSSoS/CoC. This is very important as the gems are cast by CoC in order from top left socket and then down following the links.

I knew, and I have no idea how my gems got misordered, or how long they've been that way. :shepicide: I didn't even think to check because I thought the setup wouldn't be working at all if desecrate was after detonate dead. I guess it's just been working badly for an unknown amount of time?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Frank Frank posted:

I think I missed my calling as a console itemcrafter. No one builds stuff except for themselves here and people will pay a metric fuckton for what they want.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I Am The One Who Crafts - Heisenfrank, 3.24

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Poe should have a crafting tutorial and it should be an item base generator and a stash with infinite currency. Let people play and they’ll figure it out on their own.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

wemgo posted:

Poe should have a crafting tutorial and it should be an item base generator and a stash with infinite currency. Let people play and they’ll figure it out on their own.

It's called a Guff safehouse reward and :commissar:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

wemgo posted:

This is another very good point. The barrier to entry for item crafting is the price tag and new players don’t want to touch it because there is no “undo” button. I think I spent around 15 div making my first helmet and about 10 on the second (but made back 25). That simply is not an option for someone excited about finding their first div in a map 2 days ago.

Random question: Is leap slamming into trees etc supposed to stun you? I mean, that would make sense but I can't seem to figure out whether it's an intentional mechanic or if it's just a glitch where you're clipping into scenery and get stuck momentarily.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 10, 2024

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

IDK about the leap slam thing, but it makes me think of something I've been meaning to ask:

Has anyone else noticed that there is a weird sort of "interaction lock" that is happening now? It seems like sometimes when I interact with an object I am unable to take any other actions for a substantial period of time. The two main examples:

1) Opening a strongbox sometimes locks me in place for a second or two. I'm not getting frozen or stunned (immune to both) but it sure feels like a long-rear end stun.
2) Interacting with a grave in the Necropolis will sometimes make me unable to move or take actions for several seconds.

I don't remember this ever happening (with strongboxes in particular) prior to this league.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

IDK about the leap slam thing, but it makes me think of something I've been meaning to ask:

Has anyone else noticed that there is a weird sort of "interaction lock" that is happening now? It seems like sometimes when I interact with an object I am unable to take any other actions for a substantial period of time. The two main examples:

1) Opening a strongbox sometimes locks me in place for a second or two. I'm not getting frozen or stunned (immune to both) but it sure feels like a long-rear end stun.
2) Interacting with a grave in the Necropolis will sometimes make me unable to move or take actions for several seconds.

I don't remember this ever happening (with strongboxes in particular) prior to this league.

Strongboxes can inflict freeze when you open them. I'm assuming it's not that? I've never had a grave freeze me in place. I did have the game grind to a halt earlier while I was in the graveyard but I think that was a server issue.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Leatherhead posted:

Thanks a ton for all this. I'll dig into it tomorrow when I have time; I appreciate the effort.

Jesus christ though, this:

I knew, and I have no idea how my gems got misordered, or how long they've been that way. :shepicide: I didn't even think to check because I thought the setup wouldn't be working at all if desecrate was after detonate dead. I guess it's just been working badly for an unknown amount of time?

Here you go, i bought a belt with 14% cdr and added bleed/poison tattoos. I need to fix my eldritch implicits and my flasks but even then my pinnacle dps is sitting at 6.8M which is very comfy for T16s.

https://pobb.in/K4zcdIMF0Iew

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

so I did both these things tonight, anything obvious I'm missing before I set out to grind 97-100?

https://poe.ninja/pob/1FVT

I am considering swapping Inspiration for Increased Crit Damage on the LA link as it is a damage buff according to PoB and with the helm my mana seems to be just fine even after adding Dread Banner.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

so I did both these things tonight, anything obvious I'm missing before I set out to grind 97-100?

https://poe.ninja/pob/1FVT

I am considering swapping Inspiration for Increased Crit Damage on the LA link as it is a damage buff according to PoB and with the helm my mana seems to be just fine even after adding Dread Banner.

1) you have a better attack speed buff than me and I need to fix that.

2) you may want to consider changing your dying sun flask to trigger on hitting a unique enemy so that you get the dps when you actually need it since the uptime on that flask is rough (with the increased charge usage etc)

3) lmao how the hell did you get a mageblood?

4) Your flasks need glassblower baubles. You can take them to 20% with baubles to improve effect/duration (you can do this on your unique flask too). They’re whetstones/armorer scraps for flasks. Like so: https://pobb.in/5DZURwjSKA6V

Otherwise flasks look good. I assume the “gain no charges during effect” thing is for a reason. It’s going to increase your downtime but maybe you’re mitigating that somehow since I’ve seen other people use it

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 10, 2024

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Otherwise flasks look good. I assume the “gain no charges during effect” thing is for a reason. It’s going to increase your downtime but maybe you’re mitigating that somehow since I’ve seen other people use it

Mageblood

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

wemgo posted:

Mageblood

Oh right. Ok. How the gently caress did you get a mageblood again?

E: Oh also Mageblood doesn't work with unique flasks so stick that one in the slot that isn't mageblood-ed and set it to trigger on unique enemies.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Oh right. Ok. How the gently caress did you get a mageblood again?
magebloods have never been cheaper?

I farmed the currency for it like a week or two ago on my leaguestarter, which was Ignite DD Elementalist, the slower, shittier mapping version of DD than the one everyone is playing this league. I just spammed B2B on T16 Jungle Valley.

The Dying Sun slot doesn't matter, the mod is "leftmost 4 magic utility flasks" so if you have a non-magic utility flask it skips that when counting. Also for whatever reason PoENinja doesn't display the flasks in the same slot as where they are in game.

Also baubles do not matter because Mageblood, they only increase duration.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 10, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

E: Oh also Mageblood doesn't work with unique flasks so stick that one in the slot that isn't mageblood-ed and set it to trigger on unique enemies.

quote:

Leftmost (2-4) Magic Utility Flasks constantly apply their Flask Effects to you

Read that line *very* carefully

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

magebloods have never been cheaper?

I farmed the currency for it like a week or two ago on my leaguestarter, which was Ignite DD Elementalist, the slower, shittier mapping version of DD than the one everyone is playing this league. I just spammed B2B on T16 Jungle Valley.

Oh they're still like 200d+ on console.
Anyway you have a decision to make here. You can:
* Swap your mageblood for a 3 slot MB and keep your unique flask and health flask
* Keep your 4 slot MB and ditch the unique flask
or possibly

Ditch your life flask for something that grants regen that a MB can support? (Not sure if this is a thing)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Life flask is gone, I was rarely using it anyway as I'm all evasion so damage tends to be oneshot or nothing. And the leach is so fast with all the map clear that anything that's not a one-shot is regenerated as fast as I could hit a life flask anyway.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Frank Frank posted:

Oh they're still like 200d+ on console.
Anyway you have a decision to make here. You can:
* Swap your mageblood for a 3 slot MB and keep your unique flask and health flask
* Keep your 4 slot MB and ditch the unique flask
or possibly

Ditch your life flask for something that grants regen that a MB can support? (Not sure if this is a thing)

That's not how MB works. If you run a "4 slot" MB with a unique flask and a health flask it will work just fine.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

That's not how MB works. If you run a "4 slot" MB with a unique flask and a health flask it will work just fine.

Then you’re wasting the 4th slot? It only hits non unique utility flasks right? Might as well run a 3 slot?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It doesn’t say “magic utility flasks in the 4 leftmost slots”

It says “four leftmost magic utility flasks”

Anyway I already did the life flask for dying sun swap and as someone predicted upthread it was a noticeable improvement to my clear speed.

I still sometimes instinctively slam 1 when I get low on health but I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually.

I should probably reroll the ignite implicit on the boots (leftover from when I crafted them for the DD league starter) but none of the other options looked that important anyway so I haven’t bothered

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 10, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

It doesn’t say “magic utility flasks in the 4 leftmost slots”

It says “four leftmost magic utility flasks”

It doesn’t work for unique flasks and it doesn’t work for health flasks. If you’re not running the health flask, you can park dying sun in that slot. I was taking issue with whoever said running a unique and a health flask in a 4 slot magevlood is fine. I mean, everything will still work but the belt won’t interact with your health flask or unique flask so it’s a wasted slot?

Maybe I’m missing something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah but there’s no point in like rerolling it to be 3 flasks or buying a different one. But I wouldn’t run both anyway, the life flask isn’t really useful anymore. People do drop a 4th utility flask on this build for Progenesis but that’s expensive and I’m not running content where it matters anyway

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Yeah but there’s no point in like rerolling it to be 3 flasks or buying a different one. But I wouldn’t run both anyway, the life flask isn’t really useful anymore. People do drop a 4th utility flask on this build for Progenesis but that’s expensive and I’m not running content where it matters anyway

What? You could swap for a 3 slot MB and make a bunch of money.

I totally get running w/o a life flask. If I can get a good corrupted blood immunity jewel I’m going to swap health for bottled faith but I need a very specific jewel that doesn’t exist on console

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

What? You could swap for a 3 slot MB and make a bunch of money.

[citation needed]

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Console market is...different: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/sony/Necropolis/WZGo6d0Cm

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do people on console not understand how to use divine orbs or something?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

bawfuls posted:

Do people on console not understand

Gonna go ahead and stop you right there. I did see someone mention Ghazzy in trade chat the other day though so it gives me hope.
Also I may have been unlucky but it took me 15d or so to roll 4 slots on the MB I had iirc *

IDK if MB slots are weighted but it sure felt like they were when I was running one. I would love to run one but I think perseverance is doing a lot of heavy lifting that I don't think I could replace easily.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 10, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mod values are never weighted. If some mod has 6 values possible, there's a 1/6 chance of getting any of them.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Mod values are never weighted. If some mod has 6 values possible, there's a 1/6 chance of getting any of them.

Ok so unlucky I guess. I've only ever had one.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Is Bitterdream any good after like day 3?

Like, compared to a regular 6-linked ice trap with a +1/cast speed sceptre, does the pseudo 9-link do anything of note?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

wemgo posted:

- Haste aura is neither necessary nor optimal here. Get a Vaal Haste for the situational buff and do not run the non-Vaal Haste aura.

I agree with everything else, but they should 100% keep normal haste with divine blessing. It's a great buff to the build and basically free.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Agreed, standard haste with duration and inspiration (if low on energy shield) feels very comfortable.
A high level Vitality is also nice to boost regen up to 900-1000hp/sec.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Leatherhead posted:

I need character help!

I got a late start this league, and I'm doing COC DD Inq, which is nothing like any other build I've played. Things were going great until T16s, and now my survivability and damage don't feel good enough to do anything juicy/interesting.
I think I might have accidentally broken some things upgrading gear in the wrong order or before respeccing the appropriate part of my tree.

Honestly by the standards of people who know what they're doing, this is probably a shambles, but I'm determined to actually learn some poo poo this league instead of burning out. Any help is appreciated.

https://pobb.in/3BmmZzsp8UYW

E: Obviously there are the universal things I could do like get better gems, but I don't want to spend all my money just yet if I've screwed up something major in the foundation.

A few things are very wrong, some have been mentioned so far and some have been flying under the radar.

1. Most importantly your ES regen is a problem. Your regen right now (~500) is barely enough to sustain your CoC setup, but you also have various triggers and of course Mind over Matter. If there is anything affecting your regen (less recovery mod on your maps, consistent incoming damage like degens) you will run out of ES and you can't attack anymore. Drop Mind over Matter until you have ~1k ES regen.
The easiest way for you to get more regen is crafting a good weapon through Necropolis, adding Hits can't be Evaded and replacing Precision with Vitality.

2. Trigger order and flasks have already been mentioned, but the importance of flasks can't be overstated. Its trivial to roll good flasks, not everything has to be Flagellant. You should have 4 magic utility flasks: Diamond (with crit modifier, yours is as good as it ever needs to be, since it almost perfectly makes you curse immune), Quicksilver, Granite and one of Jade/Silver/Quartz depending on the rest of your setup. None of these should have any less or reduced duration modifiers, like your Quicksilver flask has. Good suffixes are Reduced Shock Effect, Increased Armour, Increased Movement Speed and an open Suffix where you can craft Regenerate 3% of Life through the crafting bench. Do not add any more %Chance to gain a Flask Charge when you deal a Critical Strike Prefixes to your flasks, they share a cooldown, so having more of these mods means less charges for your Diamond Flask.

3. You don't have a blink skill. Use either Frostblink or Flame Dash, Shield Charge alone is not good enough. Call to Arms can only ever proc a single Warcry at a time and since they share a cooldown its pointless to have a 2nd one. Drop Infernal Cry (which you don't need anyway since you have Covered in Ash from your Polaric Devastation) for the blink skill.

4. Getting CDR is extremely good, but its just a bunch of more damage. The stuff above are fundamental flaws that need to be fixed first.

5. All your rares besides the ring are poo poo. This isn't anything to be worried about, but even if the build can't do everything perfectly after you've changed the above stuff there is still a lot of power in getting better gear for you.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Wuxi posted:

5. All your rares besides the ring are poo poo. This isn't anything to be worried about, but even if the build can't do everything perfectly after you've changed the above stuff there is still a lot of power in getting better gear for you.

I dunno, none of his rares are good but they're "fine" and could definitely be improved in the long run. So long as he's hitting his resist targets, nothing jumps out as terrible. He's missing T1 life mods and chaos resist mostly. Everything else is "whatever". The first thing I would do is look for a pair of 35% move speed boots because anything less than that doesn't feel very good.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

wemgo posted:

Here you go, i bought a belt with 14% cdr and added bleed/poison tattoos. I need to fix my eldritch implicits and my flasks but even then my pinnacle dps is sitting at 6.8M which is very comfy for T16s.

Wuxi posted:

A few things are very wrong, some have been mentioned so far and some have been flying under the radar.

Big thanks to you and Wemgo! Some things were already taken care of (eg. had upgraded Brine King, you just wouldn't know it because my flasks were a mess) fixed as much as I could while still leaving a little seed money so I can aim for high quality upgrades:
https://pobb.in/XLoAnfDGafYT

I don't believe I hosed anything up - got CDR, corrupted blood immunity, ES recharge, vaal haste, fixed flasks, put back in frostblink (had it out for lazy color reasons and convinced myself I didn't need it). Did a Passive Tree respec to pick up those extra points.
Sword is a stopgap while I craft something better but has Hits cannot be evaded.

I'll work on better body armor as my next big step.

One flask question: If I beastcraft bleed immunity over burn immunity on my life flask, where's the best place to pick the burn imm. back up, or is it even that valuable?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I'm going to be online a bit today if you need the "hits cant be evaded craft." ill be on channel 5555 and will do it for free.

Re: burning immune. Uhhhh, abberath pantheon and "suppressed spell dam cant inflict ailments" mastery seem to be doing the job for me, though i do plan to become fully ailment immune. someone may chime in with a better suggestion.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Looks good! I like your gloves

a poison and a bleed tattoo should be cheap as butt and will give you two more ailments for your yoke damage.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

wemgo posted:

I'm going to be online a bit today if you need the "hits cant be evaded craft." ill be on channel 5555 and will do it for free.

Re: burning immune. Uhhhh, abberath pantheon and "suppressed spell dam cant inflict ailments" mastery seem to be doing the job for me, though i do plan to become fully ailment immune. someone may chime in with a better suggestion.

I've got the craft, thank you; I think I've got the tattoos lying around too.

I'm grateful for the hand-holding. I've played a bunch of leagues but usually I just bail once I run my build into the ground. I wanted to actually make a go of it this time and learn something about this game I've got 1K+ hours in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Getting Life as a prefix actually isn't very expensive if you're OK with, say, T3 or better. Here's the process:

1) Add Searing Exarch influence with a Lesser Eldritch Ember. DO NOT add Eater of Worlds influence yet.

The point of this step is to make Eldritch Currency in later steps affect prefixes and not suffixes.

2) Now you have two options for targeting your prefix. Which one is the right one depends on the prices of the ingredients, so I'll give you a formula for calculating since I don't know console prices.

Option 2a) Eldritch Currency

For this option, you repeatedly:
- Use Eldritch Annuls to clear prefixes
- Use either an Eldritch Exalt or a "normal" Exalt (depends which is cheaper) to add a prefix, hoping for your desired one.

This process costs (Eldritch Annul price + min(Eldritch Exalt price, Exalt price)) per attempt and takes ~12 attempts on average to get T3 Life or better.

[How to calculate odds: on CraftOfExile, add the "prefix weights" of all the prefixes you are OK with, in this case T1 + T2 + T3 life. Then take the reciprocal.]

Option 2b) Harvest Reforges

For this option, you repeatedly:
- Make sure there is an open prefix; if there isn't, you force one using an Eldritch Annul.
- Beastcraft "Add a Meta-Modifier" using a Wild Bristle Matron; this will always add "Suffixes Cannot Be Changed" because that's the only meta-mod that is a prefix.
- Harvest Reforge Life, hoping for your desired tier.
- If you filled prefixes (1-in-12 chance), Eldritch Annul hoping to not annul the Life prefix if you got one.

This process costs (Wild Bristle Matron price + Harvest Reforge juice price [~1c on PC] + 1/12 Eldritch Annul price) per attempt and takes ~4 attempts on average to get T3 Life or better.

[How to calculate odds: Same as above but click the "Life" button on CraftOfExile to restrict to only Life mods. Technically the odds are slightly worse than this because of the 1/24 chance to fill and then annul the wrong prefix.]

E: And to be clear, all of this is *after* you've finished the suffixes via essence spam.
Double E: Also you mention Accuracy but there's no getting Accuracy on here -- that's a 4th suffix.

The last step on this is a doozy. I've annulled/exalted like 20x now and haven't hit anything better than a T4 life roll. I need to hit at least +70 to break even which is what, T2 I think?

E: I hit max T2 life and lightning resist using essences on my 2nd pair of crafted gloves so I'll just craft fire resist onto those, eldritch them and call it a day

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2024