Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Optionally killing the King unlocks a surprising amount of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Including the best ultra greatsword

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

Optionally killing the King unlocks a surprising amount of things

On one hand, he's just sort of wandering in circles minding his own business in his tomb.

On the other, he's got stuff to take.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think he would appreciate getting put out of his misery.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Just don’t think about how he’s undead and probably respawns after a while anyway.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The DS lore about being undead quickly went out the window imo. Why do undead creatures link the fire and not living things? Does humanity cheerfully live on after DS3's ending, unaware of what's happening in the not-afterlife?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The world ended after ds3. That was the apocalypse.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
All the 3 endings are so half baked nothings. besides letting the fire keeper snuff the fire out and hope that something new will come. Like oh good I’m the king of a bunch of dead losers. This isn’t fixing anything.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Linking the fire: the world reboots. The undead are gone for a while. New kingdoms rise. It’s not going to last. Look at Gwyn’s arena, the whole area is burnt, everyting in the Kiln of the first flame is melted and covered in ash. When you link the flame, the fire is big, but nothing like Gwyn’s. By DS3, you can barely set yourself on fire by linking the flame. The undead is going to come back in a couple of months. Bad idea.

Walking away: another kind if reboot. The gods have less power, and the descants of Manus/the Furtive pygmy/humans have more. Eventually the fire comes back and so will the undead.

Siding with Yuria: the first flame and undead curse is usurped by the Londor gang. Humans will go undead, but stay sane while hollowing. You get to be the Final boss when someone finally tires of all this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Honestly I don't even get how people understand all of this. The Dark souls games have been very consistent 'what the hell is going on, why is my dude setting himself on fire, who told him how to do that?' since the very get-go. That the fandom somehow managed to extract something, anything, from scouring lore snippes hidden in firebomb and crossbow descriptions is beyond me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just listen to Aldia-sensei.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Serephina posted:

Honestly I don't even get how people understand all of this. The Dark souls games have been very consistent 'what the hell is going on, why is my dude setting himself on fire, who told him how to do that?' since the very get-go. That the fandom somehow managed to extract something, anything, from scouring lore snippes hidden in firebomb and crossbow descriptions is beyond me.

I always liked the honesty of DS2's intro here. "One day you will stand before its decrepit gate without really knowing why."

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Serephina posted:

The DS lore about being undead quickly went out the window imo. Why do undead creatures link the fire and not living things? Does humanity cheerfully live on after DS3's ending, unaware of what's happening in the not-afterlife?

The undead are humanity though? There is no afterlife as we know it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I'm okay with DS2's endings. They're both decently open ended. Maybe with the power of kings and knowing where they went wrong, you'll be able to fix things with the Throne. And maybe with the wisdom that you can't, when you walk away, you can find something else. Maybe not an ending for everyone, but an ending for you.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
A LIE WILL REMAIN A LIE :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I’m the king of a bunch of dead losers

Dark Souls II - I’m the king of a bunch of dead losers

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

The intentional vagueness of it all encourages the community to discuss the lore and come up with theories.

Someone in the Elden Ring thread suggested reading every item description you get. It works well here and gives some ideas of what's going on.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 10, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Not sure what the big kerfuffle is about DS2 lore when you can simply watch Happy Souls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

And well, if you need more context, Dark Souls: In Summary explains everything DS1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

DS1's main plot is actually pretty straightforward, though. Your questions have easy answers compared to the more convoluted bullshit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hell yeah ds3 50% off this weekend.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mustached Demon posted:

Hell yeah ds3 50% off this weekend.

Hell yeah fresh meat to invade this weekend.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

giZm posted:

Hell yeah fresh meat to invade this weekend.

I'm still finishing up DS2 but I'm sure others will be around.

Please don't invade me I'm bad at PVP. I'm like 1-5 in 2. 0-fer in DS1.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm still finishing up DS2 but I'm sure others will be around.

Please don't invade me I'm bad at PVP. I'm like 1-5 in 2. 0-fer in DS1.
Oh no worries, I'm making a fresh character for a Dried Finger run.

If you're going to buy DS3 make sure to grab the deluxe edition, includes both DLCs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

giZm posted:

Oh no worries, I'm making a fresh character for a Dried Finger run.

If you're going to buy DS3 make sure to grab the deluxe edition, includes both DLCs.

Also on sale for 50% off.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hell yeah you run into that spiked wall, iron warrior. Some nasty rear end rooms in the iron king dlc this is fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Hell yeah you run into that spiked wall, iron warrior. Some nasty rear end rooms in the iron king dlc this is fun.
The DLC is loving phenomenal, best poo poo in the game, except for the Iron Passage. Don't force yourself to do that right here right now or in fact ever, it's a great way to ruin an entire play session. It is rear end. Piss!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

The DLC is loving phenomenal, best poo poo in the game, except for the Iron Passage. Don't force yourself to do that right here right now or in fact ever, it's a great way to ruin an entire play session. It is rear end. Piss!

Skipping Iron Passage on a powerstance/STR build would be absolute heresy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simply Simon posted:

I will overcome all challenges before me through cheese and grit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't know if you've already done this, but you need to either be playing offline, or install Blue Acolyte/Sentinel. There is a guy regularly invading peoples games at all soul memories, immediately killing himself, and injecting your client with a hundred +15 bleed daggers instead of the human effigy you normally get when you win against an invader. These illegal items cause your game to crash each time you access your inventory and the only way to get rid of them is with cheat engine.

This is just on PC of course, if you're on a console you're fine.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Node posted:

I don't know if you've already done this, but you need to either be playing offline, or install Blue Acolyte/Sentinel. There is a guy regularly invading peoples games at all soul memories, immediately killing himself, and injecting your client with a hundred +15 bleed daggers instead of the human effigy you normally get when you win against an invader. These illegal items cause your game to crash each time you access your inventory and the only way to get rid of them is with cheat engine.

This is just on PC of course, if you're on a console you're fine.

But you're good if you're a blue bro? Guess I'll do that when not in the CoC instead of no bro.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

I will overcome all challenges before me through cheese and grit.
You should and I respect, I've done that poo poo more often than I should have too (yes for powerstance reasons as well), just warning you ahead of time that it might suck and ruin your fun. Like, don't go "ah one more area won't hurt" at the end of an otherwise satisfying session or sth

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've heard a lot about FromSoftware and want to give their games a try. I was thinking of either doing Dark Souls Remastered or Elden Ring. Just curious what you guys think would be a better game for a From newbie.

Don't know if it matters, but I won't be able to play online since I'll be playing via Wine on a Mac (people online seem to say both games run well this way except for not being online).

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Start with dark souls 1 I think. It’ll be hard to go back once you’re used to more recent games.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

drainpipe posted:

I've heard a lot about FromSoftware and want to give their games a try. I was thinking of either doing Dark Souls Remastered or Elden Ring. Just curious what you guys think would be a better game for a From newbie.

Don't know if it matters, but I won't be able to play online since I'll be playing via Wine on a Mac (people online seem to say both games run well this way except for not being online).

Gonna be the hot take and say to start with thread favorite DS2, cause then you can either go from there to DS1 and enjoy DS2 with slightly faster/cleaner mechanics, or go to Elden Ring and enjoy DS2 But Fully Fleshed Out.

2 isn't bad, but they did a lot of changes (from 1 to it, and (several being changebacks to 1's style) from it to 3) that make it feel a bit awkward to go to from any of the other games.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Fired up DS2 after probably a year. No idea what I'd been up to - I was camped at the Dragon Shrine decked in item discovery buffed gear.

Pulled out the tumour mace and shield and dicked around to try and find out where I was up to. Jumped around the fires to get my bearings. Hey, what's through this fog gate?

Fume Knight. Goddammit.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

drainpipe posted:

You probably know this, but I think it worth underscoring that though both these games are Souls-games, and both are very clearly by the same company, they do actually feel quite different in terms of gameplay flow/loop. ER is open world, you spend a lot of time running around pretty world spaces just exploring. If you run into a significant challenge you can just gently caress off into the other direction, spend hours exploring other parts, and come back significantly powered-up ready to blow through your earlier problem. DkS is much more linear and focused, I'd say it's overall easier than ER (barring some jank and obscure mechanics) but when you run into a roadblock, your exploration is limited to one of two other corridors, each with their own roadblock.

Some people are allergic to open worlds, if you are one of those ER is obviously not going to click for you. On the other hand DkS is rather infamous for making people bounce off of it the first time they try it, often requiring a second go at it before clicking. I've never heard the second thing from people who tried ER, as long as they didn't dislike open world games from the start. Probably because of how it allows you so much more freedom into trying someplace else.

Whichever format you thinks works best for you. Or just pick whichever you think looks cooler because honestly both games are pretty great.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 12, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

drainpipe posted:

I started with Elden Ring then decided to go back and do the DS series in order. Elden Ring is a bit nicer on easing into the game compared to DS1. DS1's actually easier, overall, though once you get rolling. DS1 is short too so that's nice.

One thing about this journey I've learned: you get better and it's amazing when you one-shot bosses. I've been steamrolling DS2 since the combat pace started clicking.

Honestly, base your choice on this (single run through):

DS1: ~30hr long
Elden Ring: 80-120 depending on how much you wanna clear

If you're cool with it being long, ER is best.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ok yeah I see what you mean about iron passage. I think. Rooms are awful poo poo storms then you get an hp sponge to smack after all your resources are depleted.

Boss feels like it has some delay wind-up too. Roll catch is strong with the blue demon.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Iron passage ain’t poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's a bit overtuned, but it's pretty sprintable and it's short. Horsefuck Valley now...