Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's pure joy.

It's the reinvention of Transformers that we wanted but didn't know we needed.

It's why I made sure to talk about it for the first six issues. Wanted more people to know of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At first I didn't like it because I was a little put off by folks dying right away but I got over it. Also Johnson respects how cool Jazz is, so we can be friends.

All of the Hasbro Skybound stuff has been great for my money.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdYImAxQxE

HOLD ON TO YOUR loving BALLS IT'S A NEW LINE FROM TAKARA

MTMTE RODIMUS

PREDAKING

ZOIDS

BRAVE EXKAISER

Goddammit

All I needed was 86 Springer and I'd be done

But I need Matumtee Roddy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I caved and opened up the other Reanimate box, and yeah Thew was right, Bumblebee is really good. I love that you can still see something like the Beetle silhouette under all the postapocalyptic cruft.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

At first I didn't like it because I was a little put off by folks dying right away but I got over it. Also Johnson respects how cool Jazz is, so we can be friends.

All of the Hasbro Skybound stuff has been great for my money.

It's great! They're creating a very unique universe and fitting so much in there. Transformers. GI Joe. Aliens and more. To put that all together is a tremendous task and they've done it. I was beyond wary when hearing what they were planning and like most kinda tired after the previous two TF series. I went into this with full skepticism and wariness to match.

The comics definitely have a Walking Dead feel of anyone can die at any time and it likely won't be pretty. But as we've seen death, isn't quite death with the bots necessary, but in some cases, death might be better.

With all the news coming out of it being a smash hit and so are the rest of the books we'll be seeing so much more. It makes me excited for the future of what's to come.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, f'r example, can't wait for Kelly Thompson's Scarlett mini. Pretty cool she gets the first crack at Arashikage-related hijinks.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/TFHypeGuy/status/1788660195310104716

Maybe go back to the drawing board on that name

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anora posted:

Special guest voice: Rachel Doleza

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
wow. yeah how many people signed off on that?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hasbro marketer: I'm here to announce our new mobile game, Transformers: Race Wars

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Hasbro marketer: I'm here to announce our new mobile game, Transformers: Race Wars

TF: Race Wars: No No, This Guy is One of the "Good Ones"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Protect the monoformers before it's too late.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Silhouette posted:

They had to change it, but because Vin Diesel sued them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Starting to feel kinda cynical about the trend of extreme "full partial" retools in Transformers, like ROTB Optimus and United Cybertron Starscream. It feels like I'm paying full Voyager prices for a toy without full Voyager production value.

When you get a redeco like Twincast or a moderate retool like Metalhawk, sure, you aren't getting a brand new figure, and they didn't spend as much money on development. But the toy you DO get still has the full material budget of partscount and color separation and stuff. So you don't feel as bad about not getting something brand new in that slot for the wave.

But a toy like ROTB Optimus or LegUni Starscream sacrifices having full Voyager partscounts and sprue color variety in order to cram a "new" toy into the budget for a partial retool. It's cool conceptually but the toys pretty reliably come out feeling half-baked.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
After several delays on Amazon, I checked GameStop and lo and behold they had Sandstorm in stock. He’s now on my desk being orange as gently caress. He rules.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Starting to feel kinda cynical about the trend of extreme "full partial" retools in Transformers, like ROTB Optimus and United Cybertron Starscream. It feels like I'm paying full Voyager prices for a toy without full Voyager production value.

When you get a redeco like Twincast or a moderate retool like Metalhawk, sure, you aren't getting a brand new figure, and they didn't spend as much money on development. But the toy you DO get still has the full material budget of partscount and color separation and stuff. So you don't feel as bad about not getting something brand new in that slot for the wave.

But a toy like ROTB Optimus or LegUni Starscream sacrifices having full Voyager partscounts and sprue color variety in order to cram a "new" toy into the budget for a partial retool. It's cool conceptually but the toys pretty reliably come out feeling half-baked.
I agree Cybertron Starscream isn't very good, his robot mode is solid but nothing quite lines up right in plane mode. But I didn't clock him as a retool. From TF Wiki,

quote:

Part of the second wave of Legacy United Voyager Class toys, "Cybertron Universe Starscream" is an updated version of his appearance from the Cybertron cartoon, featuring greater range of articulation and a deco based on his show model. He transforms into a cartoon-accurate jet in 26 steps. His butterfly joints, inner shoulders, biceps, and wrists are reused from Siege Starscream.[1]
I'm not sure that counts as a retool as much as shared engineering in the CAD file. Everything else in the figure seems totally new?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Joe Fisto posted:

After several delays on Amazon, I checked GameStop and lo and behold they had Sandstorm in stock. He’s now on my desk being orange as gently caress. He rules.

Yeah he's great. It took me a while to remember that helicopter mode needs the head in a slightly different place to robot mode but not folded away, and I wish there were more usable weapon ports in buggy mode.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

I agree Cybertron Starscream isn't very good, his robot mode is solid but nothing quite lines up right in plane mode. But I didn't clock him as a retool. From TF Wiki,

I'm not sure that counts as a retool as much as shared engineering in the CAD file. Everything else in the figure seems totally new?

I think the issue is more that these super-heavy retools are still bound by a retool budget - which means that a Voyager is being put together out of four new sprues (plus whatever they keep from the original mold) rather than seven, as they would be if they were a new figure.

Some figures that are updates of already simple Unicron Trilogy era toys probably don't suffer that much (I don't think Override would have been improved at all if she'd actually used any of Hot Rod's parts), but I can see some of the more complex movie designs falling a bit short without that extra budget.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After the talk of it a couple days ago I've been reading the Marvel Transformers Handbook and am delighted all over again. I forgot that Broadside is kind of a mess who is both afraid of heights and gets seasick. :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dawgstar posted:

After the talk of it a couple days ago I've been reading the Marvel Transformers Handbook and am delighted all over again. I forgot that Broadside is kind of a mess who is both afraid of heights and gets seasick. :allears:

Hahaha just constantly screaming no matter where he is

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
only seen panels so far but drat the new comic is pretty good. Soundwave being much more "nah, kill the witnesses, gently caress humans" and Thundercracker aiming more for "look just let them go, they're not a threat."

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah he's great. It took me a while to remember that helicopter mode needs the head in a slightly different place to robot mode but not folded away, and I wish there were more usable weapon ports in buggy mode.

How’s the robot chest on yours? Mine doesn’t peg in well. That’s really the only issue I’ve got with the fig.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

How’s the robot chest on yours? Mine doesn’t peg in well. That’s really the only issue I’ve got with the fig.

Yeah, it's a bit loose, little bit of an annoyance but nothing too bad.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/status/1788884296968610166

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I can't seem to properly fit him together. The copter nose won't click together right and everything kinda feels a little off. I might just not be doing it right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
give it to meeeeeee

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well at least "pooping" is a novel pose for a promo shot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Yea I can't seem to properly fit him together. The copter nose won't click together right and everything kinda feels a little off. I might just not be doing it right.

The copter nose thing is because there's three positions for the head - folded in completely for buggy mode, all the way out for robot mode and out but down like half a centimeter for copter mode. Took me forever to get it straight in my head.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

I told my friend about this snafu and his only question was, and I quote, why are people upset that you can't change race when they're fine with people changing gender?

I don't think he quite understands the sentiment.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

The old handbooks were great.

It added depth to the characters, some of it silly but other parts really helped to "humanize" them by giving them traits, or have issues. Take Silverbolt, he's afraid of heights. Why is that an issue? Nothing much, aside from him transforming into a Concorde jet. That and leader of the Aerialbotd, who also tend to fly.

You got Warpath, dude loves doing what he does. He loves blasting his cannon. He lives for it. But if it gets a dent? Dude is going to sulk, that's his pride and joy.

There's other stuff as well, been ages since read the old handbook, might need to do so again for kicks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

only seen panels so far but drat the new comic is pretty good. Soundwave being much more "nah, kill the witnesses, gently caress humans" and Thundercracker aiming more for "look just let them go, they're not a threat."

The new TF comic is great! There's depth being given to the characters. You really feel that the bots on both sides have been fighting so long and going through the mother of all PTSD's. A lot of of what they do, feels like the characters doing because they don't feel as if they got a choice, to stop now would mean everything that's happened has been for nothing. That's too much to really deal with, so they keep doing what they doing, to whatever ends. For the Deceptcions it keeps them doing the horrible things they do. Not to say some aren't just evil bastards, see Starscream for that. Soundwave comes off as a bot resigned to his fate and what he must do for the sake of accomplishing his goal, even if he takes no pleasure in it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cowslips Warren posted:

I told my friend about this snafu and his only question was, and I quote, why are people upset that you can't change race when they're fine with people changing gender?

jfc :cripes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think you may need to consider better friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

The old handbooks were great.

It added depth to the characters, some of it silly but other parts really helped to "humanize" them by giving them traits, or have issues. Take Silverbolt, he's afraid of heights. Why is that an issue? Nothing much, aside from him transforming into a Concorde jet. That and leader of the Aerialbotd, who also tend to fly.

You got Warpath, dude loves doing what he does. He loves blasting his cannon. He lives for it. But if it gets a dent? Dude is going to sulk, that's his pride and joy.

There's other stuff as well, been ages since read the old handbook, might need to do so again for kicks.

Yeah, and you have like Huffer who just sort of complains a lot but the reason he does according to his profile is he suffers from depression and severe cases of homesickness. Although his entry is mean about it. "At these times he is inconsolable and of little use to the Autobots." Too much empathy for Huffer there.

This is also different from Gears who on the surface has the same shtick but it's an act to get the other Autobots to cheer themselves up.

The Last Call posted:

The new TF comic is great! There's depth being given to the characters. You really feel that the bots on both sides have been fighting so long and going through the mother of all PTSD's. A lot of of what they do, feels like the characters doing because they don't feel as if they got a choice, to stop now would mean everything that's happened has been for nothing. That's too much to really deal with, so they keep doing what they doing, to whatever ends. For the Deceptcions it keeps them doing the horrible things they do. Not to say some aren't just evil bastards, see Starscream for that. Soundwave comes off as a bot resigned to his fate and what he must do for the sake of accomplishing his goal, even if he takes no pleasure in it.

And cycling back to the Handbook, it's the first place I recall mentioning that Thundercracker isn't quite 100% on the war effort like the others and I always like seeing that character trait pop up as it does in the comic.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and you have like Huffer who just sort of complains a lot but the reason he does according to his profile is he suffers from depression and severe cases of homesickness. Although his entry is mean about it. "At these times he is inconsolable and of little use to the Autobots." Too much empathy for Huffer there.

This is also different from Gears who on the surface has the same shtick but it's an act to get the other Autobots to cheer themselves up.

And cycling back to the Handbook, it's the first place I recall mentioning that Thundercracker isn't quite 100% on the war effort like the others and I always like seeing that character trait pop up as it does in the comic.

It's popped up more recently, a lot of the stuff in the handbooks were seldom touched on in the actual Marvel comics themselves aside from a few cases. Was always glad to still read the profiles as it did give insight into certain characters and why they acted the way they did. A lot of what was in those handbooks was carried down over the ages and eventually did start showing up in the comics or shows. Goes to show some of what they did stood the test of time even if the evolution from self-propelling gears and pulleys origin did not.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Entry written by Dr Smoov's Wheeljack. "Aw, gently caress you, Huffah."

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phy posted:

Entry written by Dr Smoov's Wheeljack. "Aw, gently caress you, Huffah."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime stands the test of time.

Could use a touching up vid quality wise.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 10, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I like that the robots that share that mold are called Huffer, Puffer, Pipes... and Road Ranger. Just a trio of guys who are constantly high and their teetotalling designated driver.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

It's popped up more recently, a lot of the stuff in the handbooks were seldom touched on in the actual Marvel comics themselves aside from a few cases. Was always glad to still read the profiles as it did give insight into certain characters and why they acted the way they did. A lot of what was in those handbooks was carried down over the ages and eventually did start showing up in the comics or shows. Goes to show some of what they did stood the test of time even if the evolution from self-propelling gears and pulleys origin did not.

Devouring them as a child meant when I played with my robots in disguise it was also half character examinations. I think this is why I took to Roberts' stuff so much because he was doing what I'd been doing: A weird soap opera with whatever random toys I had.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Robot Style posted:

I like that the robots that share that mold are called Huffer, Puffer, Pipes... and Road Ranger. Just a trio of guys who are constantly high and their teetotalling designated driver.

Well poo poo now I need to see those three drawn to look like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Robot Style posted:

And of course its the DD who has the We Have Optimus Prime At Home paintjob

(I don't care that every single Hasbro Road Ranger has been black and orange, they are Wrong)