Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
David Byrne's American Utopia is very close to being as good, but doesn't have the insane frantic energy SMS does. Both great though, and both on max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

CelticPredator posted:

There’s that great scene where the leader is giving his big manifesto speech on camera and the battery dies halfway through and the guy recording says nothing for a long time. It’s pretty funny

Still, it's not that him making terrorist demands is funny, it's funny that the cameraman hosed up. I'm probably splitting hairs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda. It’s making fun of the way terrorists do video demands and such I guess.

It’s turning these scary bad guys into jokes. The Spielberg using silly pulp nazis pre Schindlers list is a better comparison

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
To this day, anytime a battery runs out, my wife or I will say "Battery Aziz..."

It's a strangely humanising moment. Didn't Art Malik say he was done portraying terrorists after this movie?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Art Malik is great in that movie but it is the very definition of a thankless role lol

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wasn't there a scene where a bunch of terrorists get killed by a Mac 10 falling down some stairs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Immaculate was pretty boring and not very scary

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is there no thread for The Sympathizer yet?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that anti North Vietnam? Was a bit leery about it from a historical angle (the correct one being GO HO CHI MINH! GO COMRADE GIAP!), also not too thrilled about 500 manic Robert Downey Jr's getting Klump.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

iv46vi posted:

Make one! I'm looking forward to watching it, the book was brilliant

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
If you can tolerate Prime, not only do they have BSG but also Lexx, Eureka, and Warehouse 13. The last two I haven't seen streaming anywhere for a long time and have been in the mood to watch. So yay.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

1glitch0 posted:

If you can tolerate Prime, not only do they have BSG

oh nice, I thought about doing a rewatch of BSG a few months ago and the only legal streaming option was buying it for like $2 an episode, and lol no

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They have Farscape, too, except for season 2, which you have to rent :ughh:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Watching the Mulaney live show. Richard Kind remains a god.

EDIT: I am both excited to sit with this tomorrow, and mostly uninterested in going back to the earlier episodes. Being my first experience, this episode definitely had a weird vibe, but they acknowledged and played with it in a way that really benefits from the live experience. Plus Patton Oswalt and a really sweet "real story" pre-taped segment.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 8, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Mulaney live kind of works because the show starts off all "this is a terrible idea" and he's right! Nigh on unwatchable. Endearing to call the shot

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bugs me when people announce that the thing they're doing is garbage and then it's usually fine

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a huge Mulaney fan, but that first night was pretty dire. Hopefully it improves a ton, but Seinfeld kinda had it right when he said it feels like something a comic fresh out of rehab would try to do.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

iv46vi posted:

I am loving this poo poo, though what I assumed was supposed to be a funny reverse racism commentary (every white man being played by RDJ because They All Look The Same) was shattered by the latest episode having a bunch of other white actors in it but eh whatever it's fine

Also I hate every time they do the 'film goes in reverse as a tape rewinding sound plays' which is always bad but mercifully its usually brief

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Also I hate every time they do the 'film goes in reverse as a tape rewinding sound plays' which is always bad but mercifully its usually brief

[record scratch]

Yep that's me, Wolfsheim. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation...

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
If they managed to have a whole film crew played by various incarnations of RDJ that would make it the best production of the year.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Wolfsheim posted:

I am loving this poo poo, though what I assumed was supposed to be a funny reverse racism commentary (every white man being played by RDJ because They All Look The Same) was shattered by the latest episode having a bunch of other white actors in it but eh whatever it's fine

That last episode is something else.David Duchovny was very funny. The back and forth with the director trying to justify not giving the Asian actor lines is vintage RDJ

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Park Chan Wook explained why he did that with RDJ :

"He said: "It was very important to find a fine line in terms of going with Robert playing multiple roles, because this concept itself, him playing different characters, was very important. It represented four different faces sharing one body, which is representing America as a whole.""

He goes into a bit more details here :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/robert-downey-jr-sympathizer-roles-newsupdate/

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

firewalker posted:

Park Chan Wook explained why he did that with RDJ :

"He said: "It was very important to find a fine line in terms of going with Robert playing multiple roles, because this concept itself, him playing different characters, was very important. It represented four different faces sharing one body, which is representing America as a whole.""

He goes into a bit more details here :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/robert-downey-jr-sympathizer-roles-newsupdate/

ah, that makes sense. but i still defy him to justify the rewind thing in every episode.

anyway, as part of a pact with a friend I spent the last week watching every original Star Trek film. I'd only seen 2 and 4 prior and am a casual fan of the series as a whole so it was weird to go all in, and at first I thought people were lying about the evens/odds rule, but boy does it get bad later on. here's my qwik capsule review of all six:

Star Trek The Motion Picture this kind of owns? the outfits are cool, the effects are cool, the cast is on point, the twist is fun, Spock flies into a glowing space vagina, its all there. It is incredibly slow but lots of great sci-fi is that way.

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan it's obviously the best one. probably the best movie Shatner's ever been in, right? definitely the best movie Kirstie Alley's ever been in. had to go back and watch the TOS episode about Khan out of curiosity and lol that its mostly about how powerfully erotic he is to that one lady who has a bunch of Napoleon posters in her room.

Star Trek III The Search of Spock this mostly sucks but in the way any random one off episode of the show might suck. Christopher Lloyd doing his best playing the most generic Klingon villain of all time. every big implication from STII being retconned was also pretty funny. also they have a Star Wars cantina for a couple minutes complete with a guy basically cosplaying as Lando? truly bizarre decisions.

Star Trek IV The Voyage Home a totally delightful romp, and now has the additional fun of being a period piece about 1980s San Francisco in-between the time travel parts. sorry the city became a hellish wasteland of tech ghouls and $4000/mo studio apartments, Gene Roddenberry! we deserve to have the space whale log ship kill us all.

Star Trek V The Final Frontier this is bad in the way Age of Ultron is bad. like its not the cast's fault, they're fine, they're just trapped in a lovely action movie with bad pacing. and another Star Wars cantina, this time with a three-breasted cat lady! that was my favorite part.

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country a pretty good denouement for the series. Klingons again but they didn't suck this time. Fun Michael Dorn cameo, insane Kurtwood Smith costume and makeup, bizarre Christian Slater sighting, surprisingly good Kim Cattrall casting, and weirdly poignant commentary on the end of history as a concept.

i will not be watching the TNG films.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finishing up the last few episodes of Baby Reindeer at work was maybe not my best decision ever. His monologue at the comedy show and later the discussion with his parents just absolutely wrecked me. Fantastic show though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

Finishing up the last few episodes of Baby Reindeer at work was maybe not my best decision ever. His monologue at the comedy show and later the discussion with his parents just absolutely wrecked me. Fantastic show though.

Yeah not since Dear Zachary have I watched something that I recognize was good, enjoyed, but am very much "not okay" with how I felt after.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK-isQXd_Qw

this is exceptionally weird lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow this lady is so epically full of poo poo it makes me feel like nothing in the show was an exaggeration. Still sucks the internet made it their job to track her down. Also the actress nailed her entire vibe so hard.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've been making my way through the Rifftrax library and for the live shows they usually have some kind of special guest at the start that does a skit or a song or something. Imagine my surprise seeing Lowtax popping up multiple times, the skits he made are hilarious too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

I've been making my way through the Rifftrax library and for the live shows they usually have some kind of special guest at the start that does a skit or a song or something. Imagine my surprise seeing Lowtax popping up multiple times, the skits he made are hilarious too.

He riffed with Mike on Trolls 2, and hosted a goon meet at his house when it came out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

veni veni veni posted:

Wow this lady is so epically full of poo poo it makes me feel like nothing in the show was an exaggeration. Still sucks the internet made it their job to track her down. Also the actress nailed her entire vibe so hard.

If she's lying about having gone to jail that seems like a pretty easily provable lie?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If she's lying about having gone to jail that seems like a pretty easily provable lie?

Yeah, no idea if that's been done.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The new Mulaney show is kinda like a cleaned up version of The Chris Gethard show (Mulaney was a two time guest) but because it heavily leans on guests, heavily screens call ins, and pre-tapes it just doesn't have that carnival atmosphere TCGS had

It never feels like Mulaney will totally lose control like often happened with the Gethard show. There will never be a moment like a board game segment on the show being so boring that the musical guest starts destroying the set.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

The new Mulaney show is kinda like a cleaned up version of The Chris Gethard show (Mulaney was a two time guest) but because it heavily leans on guests, heavily screens call ins, and pre-tapes it just doesn't have that carnival atmosphere TCGS had

It never feels like Mulaney will totally lose control like often happened with the Gethard show. There will never be a moment like a board game segment on the show being so boring that the musical guest starts destroying the set.

I remember watching an epsidode of that show where the hosts were all blindfolded and had stuff put on them like toy snakes, and Shannon O'neil started ripping them off and throwing them all "gently caress your silly jokes". And I was like "oh poo poo they better not bring out a real snake, which seems like how it'd go" and they did and she did try to chuck it and the animal handler freaked out a bit

Also a show were the theme was "guess who is sitting in this dumpster we have on set" and it was Paul Giamati

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 10, 2024

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The Contestant is some real hosed up poo poo. I remember reading about it back in the early 2000s, but seeing actual footage made is so much more disturbing and cruel.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The Peccadillo posted:

I remember watching an epsidode of that show where the hosts were all blindfolded and had stuff put on them like toy snakes, and Shannon O'neil started ripping them off and throwing them all "gently caress your silly jokes". And I was like "oh poo poo they better not bring out a real snake, which seems like how it'd go" and they did and she did try to chuck it and the animal handler freaked out a bit

Also a show were the theme was "guess who is sitting in this dumpster we have on set" and it was Paul Giamati

I'd throw a spoiler on that. That episode lives in television history and experiencing it unspoiled is one of the greatest TV watching moments I've ever had.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

The Contestant is some real hosed up poo poo. I remember reading about it back in the early 2000s, but seeing actual footage made is so much more disturbing and cruel.

the producer of the show should be in prison

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I know everyone here has seen The 5th Element just as many times as I have, but it's on Hulu and Prime right now and it's worth an evening. The word it brings to mind is "joy;" the costumes, the performances, the jokes, the plot itself, and did I mention the costumes? Saying there are no original sci-fi movies coming out now is a little like saying there aren't any real bands anymore, but this does feel different from non-franchise movies now. It drops you into the universe and communicates it to you as well as it needs to through throwaway dialogue and slight twistings of sci-fi tropes as it goes, giving them more room for the important parts: the costumes and Chris Tucker. The music is great too, the North African and Middle Eastern sound is different from most sci-fi movies that just give you blaring horns or pop music used ironically. It might be the best work some of the cast has done, you decide who. Chris Tucker. He should have won an academy award for this

Field Mousepad posted:

The art and artist debate continues

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 10, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Chris Tucker was also great in Jackie Brown but yeah The Fifth Element is a high point too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I love essentially everything he's done, even any entry in the Rush Hour series is a good choice for a movie to force someone to watch on a date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

Haven't even heard of this but I'm guessing it's about the japanese sweepstakes guy. I remember reading about that and wondering how the gently caress it was even real. I'll have to check that out cause I still don't really get it.