Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
DnD has the Dungeon of the Mad Mage that's supposedly level 5 to 20.

Dunno how good it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really wanna run Gradient Descent, the sci-fi mega dungeon for Mothership.
Playing in a campaign with this right now, and it's Very Good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've gotten interested in Megadungeons as of late. The giant complexes that are supposed to last an entire campaign, etc. There aren't a lot of published ones and the ones that are aren't necessarily good, but it strikes me as a fun potential creative exercise.

Caverns of Thracia (as mentioned before) is an excellent megadungeon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I've been running The Sun King's Palace, it's not a combat heavy one by any means but if you like that kinda Weird Spooky Dreamy Surreal vibe it's got it in spades.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

JMBosch posted:

Playing in a campaign with this right now, and it's Very Good.

Hell yeah.

How did it start? That's honestly the part I'm having some trouble with: how to hook the pcs into it.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hell yeah.

How did it start? That's honestly the part I'm having some trouble with: how to hook the pcs into it.
I joined after a couple sessions, but my understanding is that they started the campaign specifically to play Gradient Descent. So it was basically just "You guys are divers, staying on the Bell with Arkady as your base of operations, looking for artifacts in the Deep to strike it rich." And characters were made accordingly.

Like a lot of OSR-ish games, money (or trying to get out of severe debt) is usually the main PC motivator in Mothership, so hearing about the high prices someone's willing to pay for an artifact should typically be motivation enough. If the PCs aren't struggling financially, you might want to, uh, address that first. Then when they need some cash, "You keep hearing talk about how much someone's willing to pay for an artifact from the Deep..."

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's a very genre appropriate motivation too. Forfeiture of their share of the mining contract is the threat hanging over the crew in Alien when they receive the distress signal

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
after recently finishing running Abomination Vaults I had the thought that the dungeon itself would be fairly well-served by a touch more OSR style play than pathfinder 2e is really capable of. the book even seems to want to push you there at points, but paizo is generally allergic to committing hard to GM advice or plot hooks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've gotten interested in Megadungeons as of late. The giant complexes that are supposed to last an entire campaign, etc. There aren't a lot of published ones and the ones that are aren't necessarily good, but it strikes me as a fun potential creative exercise.

The thread petered out and nobody's posted in it in ages, but aldantefax started a really good megadungeon thread that might be worth a review for ideas etc.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948939

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leperflesh posted:

The thread petered out and nobody's posted in it in ages, but aldantefax started a really good megadungeon thread that might be worth a review for ideas etc.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948939

I had nothing to contribute, but I miss that thread.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Mister Olympus posted:

after recently finishing running Abomination Vaults I had the thought that the dungeon itself would be fairly well-served by a touch more OSR style play than pathfinder 2e is really capable of. the book even seems to want to push you there at points, but paizo is generally allergic to committing hard to GM advice or plot hooks

Paizo’s module authors have a real problem making the system match the story in PF2. Sometimes it’s too easy, like the big quest in AoA to retrieve an Orb of Dragon Control which has a save DC so weak that it is basically impossible for it to work on the dragon it was supposed to be used on. Sometimes it’s daft, like FotRP expecting the PCs at one point to just jump in to combat with a group including a spell caster that can disintegrate Hao Jin. And in AV, it’s instead way too hard.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the difficulty of vaults is a bit overhyped, i found, and mostly due to people coming in with more 5e based expectations in terms of how much strategy the system wants you to use. as long as you have a coherent fight specific gameplan most encounters in vaults aren't really that nasty.

the real problem is that because of the separate books structure, and the overall house style for paizo's setting writing, you have to do a lot of legwork in terms of logically connecting stuff that happens around and between dungeon levels, or properly foreshadowing some stuff the game really wants to be impactful.

this applies to their setting books too, where there'll be a lot of plot hooks laid but no suggestions on motives or overall plans for the presented characters because they want every gm to fill in all the background themselves, rather than commit to crafting an interesting plot. it's frustrating because in my view, the use of things like modules and setting books is to be given more of a baseline to work from if you yourself don't have any ideas.

like ok here's an example. in extinction curse, the transition from book 4 to book 5 is that you go where the next plot item is supposed to be, and the druids there tell you "nope. no idea where it is. never had any idea. maybe you should just look in the underdark for the deactivated sixth orb instead." and the adventure makes a point that they're being super suspicious, hiding something, trying to get the players away, etc.

the answer to what they're hiding is that the head druid took the orb away from its place years ago, and planted it down in another city to make a huge tree grow. the remaining druids are here because they disagreed with her, but still refuse to answer where the orb is unless the players scare the information out of them.

this isn't a fork in the plot, though, as the module simply continues on regardless as if the players took the suggestion to go into the underdark. the module does not present anything about the fact that there's a whole other mcguffin out there they could easily use that doesn't require crossing a radioactive desert cave.

in the setting book for absalom, the other half of this plot is mentioned when it details the dryad queen who moved the orb there and used it to grow that big tree. it only says "yeah she did this" and doesn't give any indication of why she did it, what purpose it may serve, how she might respond to adventurers coming along and saying "hey we need this orb to save the world," etc. just like, hey, this is there for some reason, people don't want to talk about it for some reason, and something unclear is being done with it. just the absolute bare minimum of writing.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's a good web site for resolving my "Between Game Points" in a party?

Ideally I could documents / files for people to look at ("here are the magic items currently for sale", "here's what's goin in the kjngdom", "here's a rumor") and players could make posts /threads about what they want to do?

Ill prioritize easy to use over functionality, this is for a group of brand new gamers. I'll be playin person but I live in a different town from them and don't really communicate with the whole party outside of the game, so I need someone other than a group text message, group email, etc for managing the bookwork that occurs between games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I use Notion.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
A Discord server would work for this, with the added ability to run remote games there if desired

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really wanna run Gradient Descent, the sci-fi mega dungeon for Mothership.

Reading this now and its really extremely good. Absolute steal for $8, its absolutely system shock,isnt it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what is up with buying mothership? all I can find are excited press releases about first edition, from two years ago. Can I by the 1e pdf from anywhere?

e: oh, looks like physical copies have literally just started shipping. I'm still puzzled about how to buy the 1e pdf though. I have money! let me give it u!

ee: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/13232/tuesday-knight-games ah here it is. weird how that didn't show up quicker though.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

sebmojo posted:

what is up with buying mothership? all I can find are excited press releases about first edition, from two years ago. Can I by the 1e pdf from anywhere?

e: oh, looks like physical copies have literally just started shipping. I'm still puzzled about how to buy the 1e pdf though. I have money! let me give it u!

ee: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/13232/tuesday-knight-games ah here it is. weird how that didn't show up quicker though.
I'm pretty sure the DTRPG copy is currently only the old 0e zine.

The final 1e release was available for pre-order for the two years after the crowdfunding, where you'd have access to a WIP PDF that was updated regularly through development. (People have been playing for years with these WIP PDFs.)

With the final copies and box sets going out to backers, they stopped taking those preorders. They'll be releasing it for regular sale a few weeks after the (current) fulfillment is complete.

Tuesday Knight Games definitely had some real growing pains with the success of Mothership, but they've been super engaged with the community on their Discord for a long time, which is one reason why the 3pp scene for the game is already so big.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ah, so I just came in at the wrong time! I think it looks great, I've added it to the top of the list of games I'd like to run (after finishing Masks of Nyatlathotep, hahah)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, I got lucky and kickstarted the deluxe set. It came with multiple adventures that look like bangers, but the not-System Shock/not Blame! one hooked me first.

I got some interested friends, gonna try and get this running in June.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This is only tangentially related to tradgames, I know, but since we have a lot of people who play on Discord / VOIP, maybe this is a good place to ask: any recommendations for a wireless headset on the basis of mic quality, rather than sound quality? The headset I use for my Discord sessions has basically disintegrated, and while I'd love to get a wired one because the mic quality is so much better, I'm one of those GMs who has to pace around while talking, so it's wireless or bust.

Really missing my Turtle Beach Stealth 450s, hands-down the best mic I've ever encountered on a wireless headset, but they're impossible to find now for less than $250ish new. The Stealth 700s were somehow a massive downgrade.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 10, 2024

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Kestral posted:

This is only tangentially related to tradgames, I know, but since we have a lot of people who play on Discord / VOIP, maybe this is a good place to ask: any recommendations for a wireless headset on the basis of mic quality, rather than sound quality? The headset I use for my Discord sessions has basically disintegrated, and while I'd love to get a wired one because the mic quality is so much better, I'm one of those GMs who has to pace around while talking, so it's wireless or bust.

Really missing my Turtle Beach Stealth 450s, hands-down the best mic I've ever encountered on a wireless headset, but they're impossible to find now for less than $250ish new. The Stealth 700s were somehow a massive downgrade.

You can turn a wired headset into a wireless one with a DAC. You plug the headset into that and then sync it to the PC via Bluetooth. Then you keep it on you and walk freely. As a bonus you can pump better quality audio out of your machine with that.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I recently read through a Mothership adventure called VR Dead.

https://spacepenguin.ink/products/vr-dead

I like the whole problem of characters trying to figure out if they're in a sim or not. Have tried in the past to run versions of this idea in Shadowrun where a corp found a portion of Yog Sothoth and were using it to jack into the Matrix and bypass everything. Sadly, my players were more into stats than story so it didn't go over well.

Curious if there are any decent adventures like VR Dead for other games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm fairly sure that's the plot of at least one Digimon series.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

I do not know your budget but I have had good luck with Steel Series headsets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I bought a Logitech USB headset for 20 bucks. It works fine.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I purchased two books at the game store the other day. It's the only place in the area that stocks lots of Indie RPGs, which is usually a death sentence for a brick and mortar store. I can't fully review either because I haven't run them yet, but here's my initial read.

Stone Burner
This one is Deep Rock Galactic meets Doom. You're a dwarf in a space rig and you go into a mine to fight monsters and get treasure.

Stone Burner should be a winner but falls short. I am not a huge fan of the System Mastery show but they made a very cogent point about 1990s RPGs in their Kult 1e episode. Many games from that era were a big pile of character build options, a thin layer of setting detail and then the barest suggestion of what kind of game you could actually play. That's Stone Burner, a game that came out this year. There are a lot of character options (PBTA/FITD style playbooks), some player facing rules and some GM facing random tables. The rules are all taken from Blades (position/effect negotiation, resource depletion/stress accumulation with rests in between) but the overarching structure that makes it all work in Blades is not present in Stone Burner. The GM advice section is all about theme and tone, there isn't anything that ties all the subsystems into a cohesive economy. It's a lot of mechanics in search of a game.

The setting is in a similar state to the rules. You get the broad strokes of the game world but every encounter, NPC, monster and area to explore is just a big list of questions. Who is this corporation? Why are these minerals here? Very sparse improv prompts that offer little help filling in the blanks. You may recall I have a similar beef with Unknown Armies 3e, where the players and GM are asked to collaboratively build a large amount of content before they even know what they're doing. The difference is, once you get the basics nailed down in UA3 session 0 the book gives you tools for fitting all the pieces together and bringing the world to life. Whereas reading Stone Burner is like arguing with a Rabbi who answers every question with a question.

There are bright spots. The great deed mechanic (where players declare a cool feat they want their character to do in the session, then gain character advancement resources if they complete it) is cool. The base-building system (where each structure you build gives you a flexible bonus you can spend during missions) has the perfect blend of flavor and mechanical benefit.

I'd love to try it out and see how it runs, but my biggest problem is I don't see how all the pieces fit together. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it feels like I'd have to write the game before I could run it. The book has a lot of "oracles" for solo play so I could start there.

Monster Manual Overhaul
This is a bestiary for d20 retrofantasy. 200 monster entries plus supporting information to make them table ready.

The creatures on offer are a mix of standard fantasy and new ones invented by the author. The book is lavishly illustrated with each chapter drawn by a different author for stylistic consistency, but the content is strong enough to stand on its own. Monsters are sorted by theme and separately by use-case. You can pick a monster that fits a specific biome, or with a specific power level, or because you want a social challenge or puzzle.

Creature stat blocks have a heavy emphasis on behavior and motivations. Superpowered genius monsters have personality defects and disorders that give the players a chance of survival. Wild animals have a couple tricks up their sleeve. Only mindless undead and cultist berserkers fight to the death on sight, everyone else has circumstances under which they attack or run away. Monsters which are boring/do nothing in B/X either get a new thematically fitting ability or are removed, to reduce the number of creatures which are just the same thing with higher/lower HD. Entries which would normally take a lot of complicated subsystems (like NPC spellcasters or rival Adventurers with magic items) get flexible generic systems with an option to bolt on pre-baked special effects for flavor. Mundane entries like peasants and townsfolk get huge amounts of flavor detail to mix and match.

The random encounters are great. Each one comes with framing details like what the monster is doing when you find it, and what hints you get before you see it, allowing the players to prepare, avoid or seek out encounters. Everything is given a reason to exist and be present in the adventure, without veering into boring realism. I have stalled out on a couple projects where I started with a mundane concept (a longhouse. a loan shark. a festival) and then tried to add fantastic elements. Monster Manual Overhaul takes the opposite approach, beginning with fantastical creatures and then coming up with ways to incorporate them into a believable world. Supernatural beasts are hunted or farmed for spare parts. Monsters fight each other or live symbiotically together. Peasants and priests reach accommodations with the forces of evil, or fight back when their depredations become intolerable. These aren't just random encounters, you could make a whole dungeon with this book.

It's not all fun and games. The treasure tables are too stingy. I haven't compared every entry but on average they clock in at about a tenth of OSE's treasure tables. Also if I write a dungeon that uses any of the original creatures then I have to explain to the DM what a Grey Horse or an Alpine Spectre are, because they aren't in the standard d20 fantasy lexicon. But that's the price you pay for creativity. Some of the beasts also have random tables for what happens when you eat them. Most of these are a chance of a bad result, a chance of a good result, and a result that's in between. I would prefer a more consistent tradeoff that imposed benefits and costs, because that would make eating creatures an interesting decision instead of mutation roulette.

I had a fun time creating some dungeons using How to Host a Dungeon 2e for the FATAL and Friends thread, and if I "review" Monster Manual Overhaul I will probably do the same thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kestral posted:

What's your budget like? I use a Jabra headset for work: it's probably not ideal for high fidelity music, but it's made for voice/call quality and to be comfortable for people in call centers to wear for hours.

The really good ones are $200+ but I think they have some sub-$100 models.
e. the cheaper ones seem to be wired-only.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nessus posted:

I do not know your budget but I have had good luck with Steel Series headsets.

Same.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Megadungeons

I am looking to get Ave Nox at some point over the summer.

itch.io posted:

Ave Nox is a system-neutral mega-dungeon of forgotten history and disaster buried deep in the dark of the earth.

Players take on the role of sanctified archeologists, opportunistic delvers, or despised grave-robbers, all converging on a massive newly unearthed ruin. What starts as a curiosity turns into a grand expedition as the ruin reveals itself to be a subterranean megastructure, complete with ancient technology, strange treasures, and still-living agents of the Sun-King...

Cunning and curious adventurers may overcome the dangers and unravel the mysteries of this place, yet a greater peril awaits in the farthest depths. Deep in the dark, the Sun-King plots his apocalyptic return, one that will bury the world above in a tidal wave of fire and darkness.

250+ room dungeon, table-ready and referee-friendly.
System-neutral stats and writing for use with most TTRPGs.
Campaign-ready setting for use in long-term play.
19 distinct areas, each with their own hazards, features, and monsters.
Mechanics for dealing with the Restless Dead, Gas Leaks, Alarm, and Roving Characters
A short history of the dungeon and its main personalities.
Fully illustrated by Charles Ferguson-Avery and Alex Coggon

https://feral-indie-studios.itch.io/ave-noctis

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

What's your budget like? I use a Jabra headset for work: it's probably not ideal for high fidelity music, but it's made for voice/call quality and to be comfortable for people in call centers to wear for hours.

The really good ones are $200+ but I think they have some sub-$100 models.
e. the cheaper ones seem to be wired-only.

Ideally under $200, but I’m happy to trawl eBay for a deal on something. Something like what you’re describing sounds great if I can find a wireless version, since voice quality and being able to walk around is all that really matters here. Time to investigate this brand!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Helical Nightmares posted:

Re: Megadungeons

I am looking to get Ave Nox at some point over the summer.

https://feral-indie-studios.itch.io/ave-noctis
That looks cool.

How big does it have to be to count as a megadungeon? Is 250 rooms enough? Most I ever wrote was a 218 room dungeon that lasted about eight sessions.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've been running The Sun King's Palace, it's not a combat heavy one by any means but if you like that kinda Weird Spooky Dreamy Surreal vibe it's got it in spades.

Whoa, how did I not know Snow had made a megadungeon?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Did we ever figure out which pdf to buy to replicate buying the box set?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Did we ever figure out which pdf to buy to replicate buying the box set?
The books available with the KS pledges? Don't think it was ever a mystery. They're shown on the campaign page.

The books in the Core Set are:
Player's Survival Guide
Warden's Operations Manual
Unconfirmed Contact Reports
Shipbreaker's Toolkit
Another Bug Hunt
Conversion Kit Pamphlet

The first four of those will be made available again once fulfillment is completed.

The Deluxe Box Set also came with:
Dead Planet
Gradient Descent
A Pound of Flesh

The Mega Bundle also added some pamphlet adventures and supplements:
The Haunting of Ypsilon-14
Hideo's World
Terminal Delays at Anarene's Folly
Chromatic Transference
Piece by Piece
Cryonambulism
The Hacker's Handbook

All you actually need to play is the Player's Survival Guide and an adventure (if you don't want to make your own), but the Warden's Operations Manual is a really good compilation of solid GM guidance for any OSR-ish game.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

JMBosch posted:

The books available with the KS pledges? Don't think it was ever a mystery. They're shown on the campaign page.

The books in the Core Set are:
Player's Survival Guide
Warden's Operations Manual
Unconfirmed Contact Reports
Shipbreaker's Toolkit
Another Bug Hunt
Conversion Kit Pamphlet

The first four of those will be made available again once fulfillment is completed.

The Deluxe Box Set also came with:
Dead Planet
Gradient Descent
A Pound of Flesh

The Mega Bundle also added some pamphlet adventures and supplements:
The Haunting of Ypsilon-14
Hideo's World
Terminal Delays at Anarene's Folly
Chromatic Transference
Piece by Piece
Cryonambulism
The Hacker's Handbook

All you actually need to play is the Player's Survival Guide and an adventure (if you don't want to make your own), but the Warden's Operations Manual is a really good compilation of solid GM guidance for any OSR-ish game.

One thing that's super good and I like is the companion so I want to give that a shoutout.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mothership-companion/id1606212377

Of course, there's always the super fun debate around device usage at the table but I find this app to be neat and useful.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

PuttyKnife posted:

One thing that's super good and I like is the companion so I want to give that a shoutout.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mothership-companion/id1606212377

Of course, there's always the super fun debate around device usage at the table but I find this app to be neat and useful.
Yeah, a good resource. I was worried it was still stuck on 0e, but according to Reddit it was updated to the final 1e rules about a month ago.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone else move this thread to CD for me the weird video game one. Thank you , Namaste.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Some intrepid fans decided to create an automated simulator for the Digimon TCG. If anyone is interested in checking it out, here's a video with instructions for getting it set up. The image extraction part will take a while because everyone in the digica community is running it at the same time, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8Km6ONoiE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hollismason posted:

Someone else move this thread to CD for me the weird video game one. Thank you , Namaste.

Sorry?