Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd like to see what x12 pepperoni looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Extra Large Marge posted:

Yeah I'd like to see what x12 pepperoni looks like

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s23fypF7vP1r0uzl6.mp4

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who really doesn't like this whole "crispy, cupped pepperoni" thing

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I ordered a stoneware pepperoni stamper that flattens and cuts it so it's like a four leaf clover. I'm expecting great curling shapes from this advancement.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I wish the pepperoni was crispier

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
just take some salami slices and put them in the oven with a little bit of cheese and paprika

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i object to almost all of that except the using the grease to make a sauce.

also save your oil, always make a roux. apparently those gravy base sayings make a bunch more sense when you consider you can turn all your cooking oils after cooking into something tasty instead of just dumping it. (lol at the fat phobic fad decades)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who really doesn't like this whole "crispy, cupped pepperoni" thing

You are definitely not alone my friend. The first thing I have to do if I get that poo poo is drain the oil out of them.

I usually associate them with the super cheap Tortino type pizzas when I was poor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I used to buy bags sliced pepperoni and microwave the poo poo outta them till all the oil cooked out and they were super crunchy like bacon chips. So salty. So good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

i object to almost all of that except the using the grease to make a sauce.

also save your oil, always make a roux. apparently those gravy base sayings make a bunch more sense when you consider you can turn all your cooking oils after cooking into something tasty instead of just dumping it. (lol at the fat phobic fad decades)

I grew up in a NO FAT EVER type house, and I probably came within a hair's breadth of becoming a huge fat glutton as soon as I was on my own just because I finally could.

I wonder what that mentality taught a generation of kids about moderation and self-control.

Got whole milk in the fridge now which would have caused horror and revulsion in my childhood household, but like ... it's a half gallon, how much could you possibly have to go through for it to make a difference in the slightest compared to suffering with "white water" on your cereal (as my dad would grumble even as he acquiesced)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Several liters a week ain't a problem for me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I grew up in a NO FAT EVER type house, and I probably came within a hair's breadth of becoming a huge fat glutton as soon as I was on my own just because I finally could.

I wonder what that mentality taught a generation of kids about moderation and self-control.

Also, a lot of fats are very healthy for you. You should be having fats as part of a healthy varied diet. Although pretty sure the pepperoni fats are just straight up not great, as long as you're not eating stuff like those sorts of pizza slices for every meal and getting a good amount of exercise it's still all fine.

As you say moderation. Just be a drat adult about it.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

dr_rat posted:

Also, a lot of fats are very healthy for you. You should be having fats as part of a healthy varied diet. Although pretty sure the pepperoni fats are just straight up not great, as long as you're not eating stuff like those sorts of pizza slices for every meal and getting a good amount of exercise it's still all fine.

As you say moderation. Just be a drat adult about it.

I worked with a young guy at a cold storage place and every single day. Every. Single. Day. He would bring in Little Caesar's leftovers for lunch. Just lovely cheap pizza that is the WORST when it's not fresh, every single day. I can only assume the rest of his diet also consisted of that.

He also dipped and did energy drinks. Nice guy though!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hell, I take fat pills!

Fish oil.

There is still a lot of fat that's just straight up terrible for you though. Like there's no amount of trans fats that are good for you and saturated fat (that pepperoni oil) is still generally bad. The American Heart Association still recommends margarine over butter but check the label because some margarines are not so good.

My dad would always say how much better butter was for you but I'd tell him the reality and he'd just brush it off and have some fake anecdote like "you could leave that stuff out in the sun and it'd stay like that for years! The margarines today are not the same from the 1950s.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just eat butter, if your lifestyle isn't a total horror show, it isn't going to hurt you, and if it is a horror show, well, switching to margarine won't save you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
semaglutide vs. not is like 50x the effect size as butter vs margarine. the difference between "ah theres an effect size if you look hard and use these sophisticated tools and ignore some file-drawered stuff" and "no, you don't need statistics, look at the chart"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

semaglutide vs. not is like 50x the effect size as butter vs margarine. the difference between "ah theres an effect size if you look hard and use these sophisticated tools and ignore some file-drawered stuff" and "no, you don't need statistics, look at the chart"

Doesn't that poo poo cost like multiple thousands of dollars a year tho?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Doesn't that poo poo cost like multiple thousands of dollars a year tho?

yeah, but not to the pharma corp. it'll be available on generic in a decade and change. multiple competitors in the drug space, too, including some which are already out like tirzepatide. semaglutide is itself a liraglutide and exanatide copycat, it just got approved for weight loss first

i don't think obesity will be a significant disease for rich peeps in 10 years, for poor peeps in 30. but the drug kinda does prevent you from eating like this

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 10, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

steinrokkan posted:

Just eat butter, if your lifestyle isn't a total horror show, it isn't going to hurt you, and if it is a horror show, well, switching to margarine won't save you.

Hi dad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean you can keep on eating the inferior slop for no tangible benefit if you enjoy it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I should have assumed goons would take my fun fact personally even though I did not say anything about what you personally should or should not do.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I'm from the midwest, so if I don't eat real butter the Dairy Products Association will blow up my car.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but isn't margarine made from the other great midwestern product, corn?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yellow colored margarine was illegal to sell in my state for over 70 years. It was also taxed extra and I want to say that restaurants weren't allowed to serve it either.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
margarine lab coat technologists getting fed their organic chem degrees "see here this ain't a grease town, professor"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

...so if I don't eat real butter the Dairy Products Association will blow up my car.

Good people doing good work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well I'm from the midwest, so if I don't eat real butter the Dairy Products Association will blow up my car.

"Got Milk?" isn't a question, it's a threat.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yellow colored margarine was illegal to sell in my state for over 70 years. It was also taxed extra and I want to say that restaurants weren't allowed to serve it either.

Here in NH (and I think some other states), it was mandated for a while that it had to be pink. The margarine companies got around the color laws by selling the white margarine with yellow food coloring, so you could make it yellow at home. One company had the coloring integrated into the bag. You popped the little dye bubble like a zit and kneaded it together in the bag the margarine came in.

I also just learned that Germany made margarine from coal in the 30s/40s.

quote:

Around the 1930s and 1940s, Arthur Imhausen developed and implemented an industrial process in Germany for producing edible fats by oxidizing synthetic paraffin wax made from coal. The products were fractionally distilled and the edible fats were obtained from the C9–C16 fraction which were reacted with glycerol such as that synthesized from propylene. Margarine made from them was found to be nutritious and of agreeable taste, and it was incorporated into diets contributing as much as 700 calories per day. The process required at least 60 kilograms of coal per kilogram of synthetic butter. That industrial process was discontinued after WWII due to its inefficiency.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Pink margarine :barf:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Butter v margarine shouldn't be a question, but butter v olive oil is a remarkable dichotomy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Soul Dentist posted:

Butter v margarine shouldn't be a question, but butter v olive oil is a remarkable dichotomy

Mostly different use cases, there's no conflict, only harmony

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
GET OFF SEED OILS BRO!!!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
theres only one seed oil you need

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
"Hot" take: olive oil should never be cooked/only used in raw applications

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dokapon Findom posted:

if you mean extra virgin olive oil, yes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

That's good, we should institute that in Finland too

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Detective Thompson posted:

I also just learned that Germany made margarine from coal in the 30s/40s.

"and it was incorporated into diets contributing as much as 700 calories per day."

:stare:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Butter flavored margarine has a much stronger "butter" taste and smell than actual butter and it's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Dokapon Findom posted:

But I use it in my pizza dough. :(