Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I are level 40+ and our most-equipped strategems are the initial eagle bombing run and the first precision strike. Honestly the only stratagem that's really good to use over others would be the mech, but your friend can call one down for you to use.

Like you may need a rail gun orbital for the big guys, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'll also say: kill counts are not a big deal. I have never seen a high kill count and thought dang, what an amazing player or what a great teammate to have. It's a feel-good number at the end of a mission but it doesn't really mean much.

Killing the most enemies can mean simply that you took on a lot of unnecessary fights. Or conversely, if your count is low then maybe you were on a hunt for POIs or you focused more on enemy spawn points or fortifications or your kills were more focused on the heavies and not all the chaff or you brought a lot of stuff to stun to make everyone else's job of killing easier, etc.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The most important stat is Bullets Fired, because it shows your true dedication to spreading democracy. :patriot:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah, you can get by with the early poo poo no problem, anti tank drop in maybe, eagle airstrike thing or gatling turret thing for bugs, it doesn't really matter.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I couldn't really get into Helldivers 2 for similar reasons. Please devs put more xp catch up systems in your game. When I started my friend group was a higher level even though we installed only like 20 mins apart. But we leveled up at the same rate so I never caught up.

They just always had better more effective strategems and perks. It was a pretty depressing MP experience, they got hundreds of kills on missions and I got like a dozen. We went back to Deep Rock

From having a handful of missions with higher leveled people, there was always a thing they didn't have the right weapons for. If they are bringing things to kill big bugs, then you should have tools for the smaller ones. Even the basic machine gun from the start will tear through most things well enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The folks I've said this to have said that I was actually playing effectively for that reason and didn't realize it, but it sure didn't feel like it. I guess based on the responses it's just not my thing.

Edit: the most memorable thing about the gameplay for me was how annoying managing the sprint was :/

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:48 on May 8, 2024

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The folks I've said this to have said that I was actually playing effectively for that reason and didn't realize it, but it sure didn't feel like it.

I don't mean to say it dismissively, but that's legitimately part of the learning curve :v:

Helldivers is an intentionally overwhelming, overstimulating kind of experience and a lot of feeling like you 'get' it is just getting accustomed to being completely overwhelmed and ground to a pulp near constantly. The vibe isn't really you're some immortal hero, you're a literally expendable footsoldier being thrown against insurmountable odds with equipment that's barely sufficient and also might just kill you (hi arc thrower, hi railgun).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

The folks I've said this to have said that I was actually playing effectively for that reason and didn't realize it, but it sure didn't feel like it. I guess based on the responses it's just not my thing.

Edit: the most memorable thing about the gameplay for me was how annoying managing the sprint was :/

It is pretty funny to have a mission end where everyone felt like they didn't do anything at the same time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

I've said this before, including about exactly the starting rifle and machine gun in Helldivers 2, but the problem isn't that the gun is bad, the problem is that the gun is boring, and no amount of being told that it's a really good weapon actually changes that.

It's something I first realized in Final Fantasy XIV; 'is this tool good' and 'is this tool cool/fun' are two different axes, and no amount of pitching or retooling on one is going to fix a complaint with the other.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Lobok posted:

Name's LobokVonZuben if you're on PSN. If we team-up I can bring stuff in my loadout for you to use or try. You want a mech?

I'm on PC, but appreciate the offer. I've fooled around with a mech my friend dropped, and it was alright.

Cleretic posted:

I've said this before, including about exactly the starting rifle and machine gun in Helldivers 2, but the problem isn't that the gun is bad, the problem is that the gun is boring, and no amount of being told that it's a really good weapon actually changes that.

Exactly. I know that everything I have unlocked so far is perfectly capable of doing its job, but none of it is fun to use. Well, except the antipersonnel mines. Those are great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm sorry, if you don't enjoy the dakka-dakka ability of the starter support machine gun in Helldivers you're obviously a broken person.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
One you hit L5 you get unlocks worth using, once you hit 20 you have unlocked everything (if not affording it). The starter warbond (R menu) has tools for every occasion, and by the time you can afford a second warbond via ingame pickups you'll have the essentials.

Everyone will have a different playstyle and as you go you pick up more tools to tweak your 'main' loadout. Just try new things as you unlock them- some are duds, some are great! If high-level players die, steal their poo poo and try it before you buy it. See how their strikes are working, and you can say "ah, that blows, I don't need to buy that" or "that's sick, I gotta get me somma that". Mix up your loadout when your main gets dull- maybe you'll find a cool gem of a gun to use (even though you just unlocked it to progress the warbond).

And yea the starter MG and the L5 Eagle are goats

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Actually I think it's unfair that people who've been playing the game before me have stuff that I don't. Everyone should be at the same power level, like Street Fighter and Left 4 Dead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lobok posted:

I'll also say: kill counts are not a big deal. I have never seen a high kill count and thought dang, what an amazing player or what a great teammate to have. It's a feel-good number at the end of a mission but it doesn't really mean much.

Killing the most enemies can mean simply that you took on a lot of unnecessary fights. Or conversely, if your count is low then maybe you were on a hunt for POIs or you focused more on enemy spawn points or fortifications or your kills were more focused on the heavies and not all the chaff or you brought a lot of stuff to stun to make everyone else's job of killing easier, etc.

Yeah kill counts don't matter in HD2. You can easily run an anti-swarm loadout and get hundreds of kills each mission, but that doesn't matter if you have to run away when anything larger shows up and fail to actually accomplish objectives

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RareAcumen posted:

Actually I think it's unfair that people who've been playing the game before me have stuff that I don't. Everyone should be at the same power level, like Street Fighter and Left 4 Dead.

Unironically this. Multiplayer games where you have to unlock weapons skills and abilities between play sessions by grinding XP or using actual real life money are the loving worst.

If it's a persistent world where you can find items or unlock abilities in an online RPG-like fashion, then generally that can be fine, but when it's a case that each multiplayer game is a completely separate session where you're just choosing a loadout at the beginning of the match, everybody should have access to the same toolkit and it's up to the developers to make sure that using different combinations of that toolkit is interesting and fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Fortnite has everyone at the same power level and that seems to do okay.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Breetai posted:

Unironically this. Multiplayer games where you have to unlock weapons skills and abilities between play sessions by grinding XP or using actual real life money are the loving worst.

If it's a persistent world where you can find items or unlock abilities in an online RPG-like fashion, then generally that can be fine, but when it's a case that each multiplayer game is a completely separate session where you're just choosing a loadout at the beginning of the match, everybody should have access to the same toolkit and it's up to the developers to make sure that using different combinations of that toolkit is interesting and fun.

Normally I would agree with you, but in Helldivers' case your weapons are so powerful and varied (especially stratagem call-ins) that having access to the full suite of weapons would be confusing. Overwhelming player with choice when they first boot up the game is always a bad time- just give them some "works in all situations" tools and let them unlock things as they learn the game. It is very difficult to kill yourself with the precision strike that you get for free- but it can teach you how stratagems work in general, which is important because basically every other strategem is incredibly dangerous to everyone.

There are many combinations of tools that work together to make cool builds, but there are far, far more combinations that do not. Allowing the player the chance to ruin their first few games by making a crappy build does not build a player base. If you have all builds equally viable, then you do not have an interesting equipment system.

Furthermore, unlocking things piecemeal one at a time allows the player to change up their build at their own pace, and allows them to give each weapon or tool a chance to shine before they shelve it, or overlook it entirely.

This one's just personal opinion, but I also like having screens of things that I have unlocked, so I can see a history of my progression that I have worked hard to obtain- a display case of my time and effort.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Playing FF7 Rebirth.

Y'know, I've always said that the one thing that could improve the FF7 experience is Ubisoft towers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Played another session Halo Infinite co-op with my buddy.

Co-op is always fun and this game can be a blast to play for sure, the only issue is that it quite often doesn't function on a fundamental level. In the last mission, we reached a point in the level where you have to collect three doodads from three doors and put them into slots to activate a lift in the center (if that doesn't sound very Halo, my thoughts exactly). However, when we entered the room, the lift seemed to be on already? I walked into it and it lifted me to the ceiling, against which I got stuck, and only through some tricky application of my secondary movement tools could I break free. We then discovered that there was no way to progress, because none of the three doors opened. We were completely stuck.

I looked it up, and apparently it's a known issue since they patched co-op in (the game didn't have co-op for over a year!) - unless the second player doesn't move at all when you enter the room, the scripting breaks completely, the lift is activated prematurely but the ceiling doesn't open. Many people have that issue. The only way to fix it is replay the mission from the start and have the second player be entirely passive once you enter the room. So that was fun.

We also keep having another bug that is also known, in that one of us, randomly, after dying and respawning, can't switch secondary weapons. So if you last used the enemy sensor before dying, that's what you get. Great against a boss where you really want to use the zipline to get away from it.

And today, we started playing one of the last missions, its started with a huge combat room which was rude as hell because we still have low ammo from the previous mission, and also bosskiller weapons equipped and not crowd control ones. We made it after quite a few deaths, pressed on, and a couple of rooms further in, we encounter a miniboss. Sadly the miniboss kills us, so we prepare to just try again...

...except the intro cutscene plays and the mission starts over. With the weapons we had during the miniboss fight equipped. And any time we die in the big opening fight, again the intro cutscene plays. So the checkpoints for the mission just got completely hosed and probably we cannot trust them at all.

We quit in frustration for today. How can this game be so awfully made?! It's the buggiest piece of poo poo I've played in a long time. It's mid-2000s-fanpatch-requiring levels of broken.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if your game has dialog scenes of > 5 minutes and doesn’t allow you to save your game during them, you will have no place in the glorious new utopia I want to build

seriously it’s *dialog*, in 99% of games your character is just standing still there anyway (if they’re even in the scene), how hard would it be to add a quick save option that lets you hold your place halfway through a half hour of exposition

I like visual novels and they’re literally all dialogue and you can save at any time. This is a resolved issue.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

Played another session Halo Infinite co-op with my buddy.

Co-op is always fun and this game can be a blast to play for sure, the only issue is that it quite often doesn't function on a fundamental level. In the last mission, we reached a point in the level where you have to collect three doodads from three doors and put them into slots to activate a lift in the center (if that doesn't sound very Halo, my thoughts exactly). However, when we entered the room, the lift seemed to be on already? I walked into it and it lifted me to the ceiling, against which I got stuck, and only through some tricky application of my secondary movement tools could I break free. We then discovered that there was no way to progress, because none of the three doors opened. We were completely stuck.

I looked it up, and apparently it's a known issue since they patched co-op in (the game didn't have co-op for over a year!) - unless the second player doesn't move at all when you enter the room, the scripting breaks completely, the lift is activated prematurely but the ceiling doesn't open. Many people have that issue. The only way to fix it is replay the mission from the start and have the second player be entirely passive once you enter the room. So that was fun.

We also keep having another bug that is also known, in that one of us, randomly, after dying and respawning, can't switch secondary weapons. So if you last used the enemy sensor before dying, that's what you get. Great against a boss where you really want to use the zipline to get away from it.

And today, we started playing one of the last missions, its started with a huge combat room which was rude as hell because we still have low ammo from the previous mission, and also bosskiller weapons equipped and not crowd control ones. We made it after quite a few deaths, pressed on, and a couple of rooms further in, we encounter a miniboss. Sadly the miniboss kills us, so we prepare to just try again...

...except the intro cutscene plays and the mission starts over. With the weapons we had during the miniboss fight equipped. And any time we die in the big opening fight, again the intro cutscene plays. So the checkpoints for the mission just got completely hosed and probably we cannot trust them at all.

We quit in frustration for today. How can this game be so awfully made?! It's the buggiest piece of poo poo I've played in a long time. It's mid-2000s-fanpatch-requiring levels of broken.

Sounds like a 343 product right there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

if your game has dialog scenes of > 5 minutes and doesn’t allow you to save your game during them, you will have no place in the glorious new utopia I want to build

seriously it’s *dialog*, in 99% of games your character is just standing still there anyway (if they’re even in the scene), how hard would it be to add a quick save option that lets you hold your place halfway through a half hour of exposition

I like visual novels and they’re literally all dialogue and you can save at any time. This is a resolved issue.

I put Xenosaga on my deck and every time I think about launching it I remember the cutscenes were long enough that they had save points and I just dont

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think Metal Gear Solid 4 has a cutscene that's as long as an actual movie at one point

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Okami opens with a 20 minute cutscene which uses text boxes and nonsense babble.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

I put Xenosaga on my deck and every time I think about launching it I remember the cutscenes were long enough that they had save points and I just dont

Let me tell ya about disc 2 of Xenogears...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i used to put on Xenosaga 1 as a sleep aid. i would go to the Cathedral Ship to do some grinding and promptly doze off. very effective. over 80 hours of gameplay as advertised on the back of the box.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Okami opens with a 20 minute cutscene which uses text boxes and nonsense babble.

I remember that. It was even more annoying than that because the text would scroll painfully slow and it would make you press a button for the next text box, so you couldn't even let it play while you did other things. Did they fix that in later versions? I wanna play it again, but I don't want to deal with that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic was right, Helldivers should've started you with either a TF2 or DOOM style mini gun as your base weapon. And given it a bonus where enough teammates cooperating focused fire can break through shielded enemies if you dump enough rounds into it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

grittyreboot posted:

I remember that. It was even more annoying than that because the text would scroll painfully slow and it would make you press a button for the next text box, so you couldn't even let it play while you did other things. Did they fix that in later versions? I wanna play it again, but I don't want to deal with that.

They did not. The opening of Okami HD is 20 minutes of unskippable slow text and nonsensical babble. And Issun being an unrepentant sex pest to a tree spirit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It actually is skippable in Okami HD, as is most of the dialogue.

Unfortunately Issun still sucks.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah you should be able to pause and save a single player game at literally any point

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Band Hero not only plays its climactic song American Pie with the credits running right over the top of the note chart:

But it's got some insane censorship where the word "whiskey" is removed, ruining one of the most famous choruses of all time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Necrothatcher posted:

But it's got some insane censorship where the word "whiskey" is removed, ruining one of the most famous choruses of all time.

:lol:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Necrothatcher posted:

Band Hero not only plays its climactic song American Pie with the credits running right over the top of the note chart:

Does it leave in "rye"?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

But, confusingly, not "rye".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Rjq54xSVA&t=222s

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They should have just replaced whisky with milk or apple juice like other games do

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crisis Core Reunion.
I finally started getting into it since I figured it would help me appreciate some of the references in FF7Rebirth that I was spoiled on, and Jesus gently caress the encounter rate on enemies.

Every 5 steps it's "Initiating Combat Mode", which wouldn't be so bad except that every side mission has at least one treasure chest I wanna find in a dungeon map that has like 20 different rooms to explore, so I'm constantly having to detour which just triggers more random encounters and then it seems like 99% of the chest rewards aren't even worth it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

the_steve posted:

Crisis Core Reunion.
I finally started getting into it since I figured it would help me appreciate some of the references in FF7Rebirth that I was spoiled on, and Jesus gently caress the encounter rate on enemies.

Every 5 steps it's "Initiating Combat Mode", which wouldn't be so bad except that every side mission has at least one treasure chest I wanna find in a dungeon map that has like 20 different rooms to explore, so I'm constantly having to detour which just triggers more random encounters and then it seems like 99% of the chest rewards aren't even worth it.

I also played this right before Rebirth. I noticed you can avoid most random encounters by hugging the wall as close as you can

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, wasn't that a thing in the original too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wish the Superhot games would just let me enjoy the fun action puzzler they made without constantly telling me what a piece of poo poo I am for liking them