Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
3 on 3 is kinda lovely to watch, at least the way the NHL plays it. Just teams constantly ragging the puck and resetting until they can change and get a perfect attack. Not too interested in a seeing a whole league of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

.Spec posted:

If this is another Saudi Arabia sportswashing thing, the whole idea can gently caress right off.

It is.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
3 on 3 was nuts the first year it was introduced into regular season OT, coaches hadn't yet figured out how to scheme the fun out of it so it was constant back and forth breakaways and odd-man rushes. If it were like that it could be fun, but I think that ship has long since sailed.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Now with the draft lottery done, you get to hear stuff like "good hands for a big guy" type of stuff. But what do they mean? How does being a large player mean that you can't have silky mittens? Is this just some old hockey lore that keeps being regurgitated? I sort of get the the "moves well for a big player", as there might be some mechanical reason larger players can't be as speedy and agile as smaller players.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Emetic Hustler posted:

Now with the draft lottery done, you get to hear stuff like "good hands for a big guy" type of stuff. But what do they mean? How does being a large player mean that you can't have silky mittens? Is this just some old hockey lore that keeps being regurgitated? I sort of get the the "moves well for a big player", as there might be some mechanical reason larger players can't be as speedy and agile as smaller players.
I think if you're a smaller guy than either you have good hands or you are never getting out of junior while there are some big guys who can get into the NHL with less puck skills. There are still plenty of giant depth forwards/depth defensemen who are just not offensive players.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

That makes sense, the "you can't teach size" is very much a thing. Despite the game of hockey changing, it's still a contact sport and having few inches and pounds to throw around is still an aspect worth considering when choosing players. But I feel that it's slightly an old cliche at this point, with kids getting skills coaches earlier, even larger framed players have good puck skills.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
All professional sports is sports washing. All billionaires are bad, whether they are from Saudi or from America or Canada

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RMNB had an interesting article on coaching turnover in the NHL and how bad it is. After the Leafs fired their coach, Spencer Carberry is now the 15th longest tenured coach in the league. :psyduck:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...less-than-year/

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That summer 3v3 league was kinda cool. I'd watch a little.

E: what I'd really love to see is a pro roller hockey league where they play outside

Bring back pro beach hockey but ditch the ball and the fighting.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

E: what I'd really love to see is a pro roller hockey league where they play outside

There was a Roller Hockey League in the 90s, and I could have sworn I saw games where they played outside. I refuse to believe that a memory of mine from roughly 30 years ago would be wrong.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Saudi-backed hockey league that was announced by a Steve Dangle tweet, good start

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now now, sometimes it's just laundering. The Saudis back a lot of stuff from the shadows.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

Now now, sometimes it's just laundering. The Saudis back a lot of stuff from the shadows.

Like Fanatics!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

Saudi-backed hockey league that was announced by a Steve Dangle tweet, good start

Kinda figured Dangle is a psyop

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Twin Cinema posted:

There was a Roller Hockey League in the 90s, and I could have sworn I saw games where they played outside. I refuse to believe that a memory of mine from roughly 30 years ago would be wrong.

Pro Beech Hockey was on ESPN from 1998 through 2000 and they played outside in this weird bowl thing and they angled the glass inwards to 'speed up the game'. But then played with a ball and not a puck outside near Huntington Beech. This knowledge is forever locked in my brain.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I'm really surprised the trend of just bringing up the AHL coach isn't a thing considering the Penguins won cups doing it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Someone give Dallas Eakins another shot

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Carver posted:

I'm really surprised the trend of just bringing up the AHL coach isn't a thing considering the Penguins won cups doing it.

On the other hand, Keefe.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

pseudodragon posted:

On the other hand, Keefe.

On an as of now undetermined hand, Knoblauch?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pro Beech Hockey was on ESPN from 1998 through 2000 and they played outside in this weird bowl thing and they angled the glass inwards to 'speed up the game'. But then played with a ball and not a puck outside near Huntington Beech. This knowledge is forever locked in my brain.

yeah it was cool

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Im sure well get to see what this up and coming Dan Bylsma will be able to do soon in the big leagues.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

How quickly we forget one of the most 90s thing of the 1990s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18XWT047ec8

Outdoors. On the beach. Banked rink below the goal lines. Glorious.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 10, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

There was an indoor league as well that played in NHL arenas, Roller Hockey International. I remember going to a few Denver Daredevils games.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1788952764577456512?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1788946490078920902?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

lol leafs

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That cannot be a real quote lol :trumppop:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Waiting on Darude to post the Treliving smiling about Ryan Reaves flexing on ice.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Is this how the Blackhawks get a salary dump gift to propel them back into relevance? Because that seems like a pretty Leafs outcome

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Marner for Chiarot

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

*stands up, stretches* time to do the hard unsexy

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Marner and a 2nd for Trouba, Goodrow and Rempe?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Leafs are about to become more ineptly run than the Blue Jays, which is impressive.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/ahobsonmedia/status/1788944808678924386?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I love when a sports journo actually asks a question that isnt just a lay-up to a PR statement

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
We dont have a World Championship thread so heres Sweden lines for the game tonight.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

This is probably what I am remembering, but I also remember watching outdoor roller hockey at my grandparents in the mid-90s. But I am probably conflating the two things.

As for the Leafs, if Marner does waive his NMC, I think the deal will be not as good as Leafs fans hope, but also better than all the dogshit that people are throwing out. Now, do I believe in the current Leafs management to successfully navigate these obstacles? No.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Any Marner trade will have to be a 3-way, because no team he'd accept a trade to is going to want to send back a remotely comparable but less well paid player, and the Leafs don't want prospects and picks. They'll have to find a rebuilding team with a good veteran or two to route the Marner recipient's prospects and picks to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Leafs transition games sucks because all the non Reilly dmen are a bunch of stiffs

Let's trade for more stiffs

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The Leafs did try and get some D that could handle the puck, it's just that those moves backfired spectacularly.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1788943280740139322?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Marner being healthy after all he did to avoid any kind of physical contact all series should go over well with the fanbase

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1788943280740139322?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Marner being healthy after all he did to avoid any kind of physical contact all series should go over well with the fanbase

Marner - fragile body, fragile ego, weak mind, weak spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sleep with the vicious posted:

Marner - fragile body, fragile ego, weak mind, weak spirit

Sounds like a Blackhawk