Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I usually place a large tea order from China this time of year, and this years just arrived. Its mostly stuff I get every year like first harvest Bi Lo Chun, some more Ti Guan Yin, and an assortment of shou pu erhs. I seldom get a new tea that is remarkable enough that I would actually post about it, but there is one this time. This stuff:

https://yunnansourcing.us/collections/ripe-pu-erh-tea/products/12-years-aged-golden-melon-ripe-pu-erh-tea-tuo

Its till a shou, if you don't like those you probably wont like this, but if you are into the real dirt-flavor pu erhs this one is pretty good. Its got all the fresh potting soil and dark liquor flavors with much less of the bitter sharp-on-the-tongue overtones so common in shou pu erh. I tastes 'soft', if thats even a flavor. I got a menghai bing from 1999 too that I haven't broken into yet, but am excited about.

edit - for the folks upthread detailing their adventures with pu erh, try longer initial washes. I usually wash for at least 15 seconds, it gets a lot of the bitter tannins out that are responsible for a lot of the bad flavor in the first steep.

taters fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

taters posted:

I usually place a large tea order from China this time of year, and this years just arrived. Its mostly stuff I get every year like first harvest Bi Lo Chun, some more Ti Guan Yin, and an assortment of shou pu erhs. I seldom get a new tea that is remarkable enough that I would actually post about it, but there is one this time. This stuff:

https://yunnansourcing.us/collections/ripe-pu-erh-tea/products/12-years-aged-golden-melon-ripe-pu-erh-tea-tuo

Its till a shou, if you don't like those you probably wont like this, but if you are into the real dirt-flavor pu erhs this one is pretty good. Its got all the fresh potting soil and dark liquor flavors with much less of the bitter sharp-on-the-tongue overtones so common in shou pu erh. I tastes 'soft', if thats even a flavor. I got a menghai bing from 1999 too that I haven't broken into yet, but am excited about.

edit - for the folks upthread detailing their adventures with pu erh, try longer initial washes. I usually wash for at least 15 seconds, it gets a lot of the bitter tannins out that are responsible for a lot of the bad flavor in the first steep.

I have one of those from the sampler pack I ordered. While I can't say I like the cooked pu-erhs I've tried, I still want to try that one. Not really sure how to crack it open though, it's hard as a rock. I don't have a knife for breaking cakes apart yet, but it looks so densely packed and old that I just get little crumbles no matter what I try.

Today's payday, so I'm hoping to put an order in on some stuff. I think I want to pick up some fukamushi sencha to try (and get a teapot that actually works for such fine tea; I found some sencha and hojicha locally but the teapot I have doesn't have a good enough filter), and re-up my stock of oolongs. I still haven't tried raw pu-erh yet, so I want to get in on that too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 10, 2024

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Any of you know what this thing is called? It's neat and I want to get some more.
I got it with a tea-order but they don't sell it seperately. It's 4"-ish long. Yellow part is locked inside the orange.

E: Could have just checked Aliexpress for 2 min. instead of posting. It's called a Seal/Sealer Stick

Pondex fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 11, 2024

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

taters posted:

Currently trying this with one of my samplers I mentioned before.

I think the longer wash was good. I can actually taste tea in this-- it was never the dirt/soil flavor that ruined my experience before, it was that it was all I could taste, and it was intense. Granted, this is different from the others I'd tried so far, but for a shou pu-erh, what I've got right now is not bad. Rather than being reminiscent of getting faceplanted into fresh mulch on the playground, this tastes like stepping outside on a cool morning after a long rain. Petrichor-y, but not offensive. Granted, I'm only on my second steep after the initial wash (first steep was 5 seconds, this one was 10ish), so we'll see how I feel about it as I continue. Got a bit of a pleasant sweetness in the back of my throat, but that may be because I didn't rinse out the teapot I'm using as a gong dao bei after having some Da Hong Pao earlier. Ah well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pondex posted:

E: Could have just checked Aliexpress for 2 min. instead of posting. It's called a Seal/Sealer Stick

Grocers sometimes have these next to the potato chips.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Currently trying this with one of my samplers I mentioned before.

I think the longer wash was good. I can actually taste tea in this-- it was never the dirt/soil flavor that ruined my experience before, it was that it was all I could taste, and it was intense. Granted, this is different from the others I'd tried so far, but for a shou pu-erh, what I've got right now is not bad. Rather than being reminiscent of getting faceplanted into fresh mulch on the playground, this tastes like stepping outside on a cool morning after a long rain. Petrichor-y, but not offensive. Granted, I'm only on my second steep after the initial wash (first steep was 5 seconds, this one was 10ish), so we'll see how I feel about it as I continue. Got a bit of a pleasant sweetness in the back of my throat, but that may be because I didn't rinse out the teapot I'm using as a gong dao bei after having some Da Hong Pao earlier. Ah well.

Return report: While it's not my favorite, this was pleasant and a much better experience than my last few rounds of pu-erh. A shame I only had a 10g packet of this one, but maybe the 250g one I got as a bonus will taste better if I give it a longer wash too.

I definitely prefer the more floral, stone fruit-like flavors of oolongs to it, but the pu-erh is nice as an evening pick-me-up (though still probably too much caffeine for me to be drinking it after 10pm, it's 1am now oops.

Edit: it's 5am, still wide awake. I thought pu-erh was supposed to have lower caffeine and the initial wash was supposed to remove most of that. What the hell.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 19, 2024

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Pu erh is some of the highest caffeine tea, especially shou. Have a nice evening.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Framboise posted:

I definitely prefer the more floral, stone fruit-like flavors of oolongs to it, but the pu-erh is nice as an evening pick-me-up (though still probably too much caffeine for me to be drinking it after 10pm, it's 1am now oops.

Have you tried Zi Juan Cha? It's a sheng pu-erh that has a really nice juicy nectarine-flavor. It's not for the nighttime though, made me pretty buzzy from the caffeine.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

taters posted:

Pu erh is some of the highest caffeine tea, especially shou. Have a nice evening.

It's 10 now. I managed to get a bit of sleep. I'm STILL feeling a bit of buzz even after that. What the gently caress.

I read that people will drink pu-erh as an after-dinner tea as it helps with digestion and isn't very strong on the caffeine.

Then again, I also read that white/green tea also has the most caffeine since it's the least processed, but another source that says they have the least. Is this a contentious subject or something? Are there any teas that are low in caffeine? I haven't found an herbal blend I like yet, I guess.

Pondex posted:

Have you tried Zi Juan Cha? It's a sheng pu-erh that has a really nice juicy nectarine-flavor. It's not for the nighttime though, made me pretty buzzy from the caffeine.

I haven't tried sheng pu-erh yet! I've been wanting to. I'll add that one to my list.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Tea is not naturally low in caffeine. It has what it has and while processing affects it a bit, does not remove the caffeine from the plant. If you’re sensitive to caffeine you might try white tea and see how it works for you. It and green tea tend toward having the least caffeine, but can contain as much as a black tea.

There are decaffeinated teas, but they taste like trash. The only real decaf options are infusions made with other plants.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I love ginger drinks but they often give me a bit of a headache and feel a bit weird, not sure why.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'll just have to do some research on herbals or something then. It's nice to drink tea while I'm working at my computer at night. Being awake until 5, less so. I can try doing a green tea instead, too. I've got a kyusu and sampler of a bunch of Japanese green teas coming this week, so I can try that, perhaps.

Gonna give another thanks for mentioning a longer initial wash with cooked pu-erh, as well. I was a bit concerned that I was gonna be stuck with 250g of this stuff that I got as a bonus that I wouldn't like drinking, and turns out it's much better after giving it a longer rinse.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
hard to go wrong with a big sack of chamomile for herbals if you're after stuff for later on in the evening.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Also rooibos, a thing that isn't technically Tea.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pondex posted:

Any of you know what this thing is called? It's neat and I want to get some more.
I got it with a tea-order but they don't sell it seperately. It's 4"-ish long. Yellow part is locked inside the orange.

these things work a lot better than clips imo. i use them to secure my bags of tea leaves.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Trabant posted:

Also rooibos, a thing that isn't technically Tea.

That one and its relative honeybush are strong diuretics though, so watch out before bed. I’ve learned I can’t have any after 8 pm or I’ll be getting up in the middle of the night

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

neongrey posted:

hard to go wrong with a big sack of chamomile for herbals if you're after stuff for later on in the evening.

Can't stand chamomile, sorry. Even the smell of it makes me nauseous.

I might try rooibos again though. Haven't had it in a long time, not since the Teavana days lol

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stuporstar posted:

That one and its relative honeybush are strong diuretics though, so watch out before bed. I’ve learned I can’t have any after 8 pm or I’ll be getting up in the middle of the night

Huh, I don't think it does that to me. Or at least I never made the connection. Hmm.

Framboise posted:

I might try rooibos again though. Haven't had it in a long time, not since the Teavana days lol

My all-time favourite is:

I'm sure there are great many more easily accessible (and cheaper) options out there though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Chamomile is not great for everyone. It's a straight up migraine trigger for me. Roiboos is okay as a base sometimes, but it really needs a good supporting cast.

If you're really caffeine sensitive but want tea still, I'd cut the quantity of the tea in the cup in half at least and replace it with other things. There's a ton of herbs that steep well that you can replace things with, but most tea blends use a lot of dried fruits and flowers. Then you still get some of the tea flavor in the base, but you don't get all the caffeine that you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My Japanese green tea sampler arrived today. I heard that kukicha is generally lower in caffeine as it is mostly stems, so I decided to try that.

Here's the one I tried, for those interested: https://nioteas.com/products/kukicha-chanoka-100g?variant=40110784118868

It's quite nice. I did 3 steeps, and while there's a little caffeine buzz to it, I feel like I could still go to bed and sleep pretty well.

The initial smell as I opened the packet was really really nice. It smelled like strawberries and fresh grass. The tea itself was a bit dry on the tongue but had a really nice sweet aftertaste to it. It's quite nice.

I'm really looking forward to trying the gyokuro varieties and the fukamushi sencha that came with it, too.