Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'll never be surprised that post-Azmodee FFG hasn't done something. Who would do the work? Place is gutted.

When I originally started paying board games seriously, FFG was probably my favorite publisher. For various life reason (friends moving away and having kids), our group fell apart for almost a decade. When we started up seriously again a year or two ago it was depressing to find out what Asmodee had done to FFG.

Also, I forgot just how bad some of the FFG rulebooks were written back then. I think Rodney Smith, Before you Play, and JonGetsGames has completely spoiled me by providing clean video explanations of games to go along with the rulebook. It is a trip going back to something a decade ago that has like 1 video on youtube, shot in 480p with no presentation skills at all. Then just the 30+ page wall of text rulebook from FFG.

But whatever, it was worth it to play Chaos again. I loved that game back then and I still love it now. Like others, I never owned Horned Rat. For some reason, I remember it being hard to find even then. Also sad I never got around to buying the Daybreak expansion for BSG. It is worth so much money now. But realistically, we barely touched the 2nd expansion. The base game + Pegasus was our preferred way to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

When I originally started paying board games seriously, FFG was probably my favorite publisher. For various life reason (friends moving away and having kids), our group fell apart for almost a decade. When we started up seriously again a year or two ago it was depressing to find out what Asmodee had done to FFG.

Also, I forgot just how bad some of the FFG rulebooks were written back then. I think Rodney Smith, Before you Play, and JonGetsGames has completely spoiled me by providing clean video explanations of games to go along with the rulebook. It is a trip going back to something a decade ago that has like 1 video on youtube, shot in 480p with no presentation skills at all. Then just the 30+ page wall of text rulebook from FFG.

But whatever, it was worth it to play Chaos again. I loved that game back then and I still love it now. Like others, I never owned Horned Rat. For some reason, I remember it being hard to find even then. Also sad I never got around to buying the Daybreak expansion for BSG. It is worth so much money now. But realistically, we barely touched the 2nd expansion. The base game + Pegasus was our preferred way to play.

Have you ever looked at the Arkham Horror LCG? It’s a nicely modernized version of the classic board game with tons of content available.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I never got Daybreak either. The cylon warrior minis look so cool, I love the plastic base stars that came with one of the other expansions.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Have you ever looked at the Arkham Horror LCG? It’s a nicely modernized version of the classic board game with tons of content available.

I actually do enjoy Arkham Horror LCG quite a bit. That being said, I think I am up to the second expansion cycle right now. Sadly, that is one that I have had to play solo, since the rest of my friends are allergic to even trying anything that resembles a collectable card game. The one friend who is an exception, instead went all in on Marvel Champions. Who knows, if I give them all pre-built decks to play, I think they might try it. Weirdly, Arkham Horror 2nd Edition (talk about a nightmare rulebook) is what got us playing board games in the first place.

Although I am interested that the lead developer of AH: LCG just left FFG to takeover Earthborne Rangers. I haven't played it yet, but I did back the crowdfunding of the reprint and expansion.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I never got Daybreak either. The cylon warrior minis look so cool, I love the plastic base stars that came with one of the other expansions.

The basestar mini was in the Pegasus expansion, and yes, they look so much cooler than the cardboard ones that came with the base game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Although I am interested that the lead developer of AH: LCG just left FFG to takeover Earthborne Rangers. I haven't played it yet, but I did back the crowdfunding of the reprint and expansion.

Yeah. I can’t speak to Earthborne Rangers, but it is a fortuitous change to revitalize Arkham which is getting a little long in the tooth (nothing against MJ, it’s just time for a shakeup.) The newest campaign, the first completely headed by the new designer, is regarded by many to be the best ever.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

Daybreak was such a good expansion in so many ways, probably best in fixing a 4 or 6 player game in two ways (mutineer or a reasonable Cylon leader alternate). Plus all the other chrome (e.g., Demetrius) was really optional and not a drag if you played it/fun if you did? Plus I think it introduced the real "gently caress you" treachery cards, which were fun. Really, the best of them all in terms of balance and playability. And yes, the Centurion minis kick rear end.

Played On the Underground:Paris yesterday among a few others. It occupies a space halfway in complexity between TTR and basic cube rails. Lots of fun blocking and take-that maneuvering as you try to form two different Métro lines through Paris. You earn points in several ways, but every turn points are available in one main way: the sole Parisian pedestrian has four random stations they want to go to, they'll go to the one that involves the least walking, and each line that they take to get there earns its owner one point. (Once they reach that station, a new card is flipped to mark their new potential destination, so there's always four destinations out, so you can build around them if your lines are in the right places.) I had a great run in the mid-late game where the pedestrian took my line five or so times in a row, the final time taking one of my lines, then transferring to the other line, scoring me two points in a turn. You also get two secret objectives, much like TTR route cards, naming three stations, and if you connect all three with a line, you'll score 3 or 5 points depending on the complexity, and you can score each twice if you connect the objective with both of your lines (easier said than done, for like the TTR map, junctions between stations usually have only one connection between them, though many have two, and some have three or four). There are other details, but it's a fun little knife fight for people who think that TTR is a little basic and/or who want to be fancy showing off their knowledge of the Métro (or the Underground, or the Berlin U-Bahn/S-Bahn, or NYC, or at least I suppose; we only played the Paris map).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jedit posted:

That's probably complete Talisman.

The price for CITOW/Horned Rat on BGG is realistic. It's much sought after for the IP and everyone knows it. The dealer is trying to rip you off.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

That guy is trying to rip you off.

The two guys that go for absolutely crazy prices (BSG and CITOW) are both 'good games' in big IPs which have absolutely no hope of ever being reprinted due to licensing issues so the normal approach of just holding out for a reprint isn't going to work.

Thanks, trade rejected. I didn't realize that FFG had changed since I was last 'into' the hobby. That's a shame since I generally really enjoyed their games.

Sadly, I never purchased the expansions for BSG even though we played the heck out of it. I don't think my wife would let me sell it even if we haven't played it in over a decade. A lot of good memories there.

I only played Horned Rat a handful of times. I remember my favorite part about it is that it allowed us to play CitOW when we had 5 players, which was a pretty common number in my old group. I thought I remember a weakness of CitOW basically being that it was great with 4 and only 4, so we didn't get it out very often.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Radioactive Toy posted:

My wife and I are having our first child in just over a month, so the last few months have been a mad dash to play as many games as we can before schedules and sleep get crazy for the foreseeable future. Here's a long impressions post about some of the games we have played recently.

good sprint gamer. congratulations on the “family growth” (medieval german subsistence farming reference)

terebikun
May 27, 2016
And to think I had almost successfully blocked out the memory of seeing Horned Rat in a discount bin at my FLGS for like 15 bucks.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks, trade rejected. I didn't realize that FFG had changed since I was last 'into' the hobby. That's a shame since I generally really enjoyed their games.

The problem with CITOW and BSG isn't FFG, I bet FFG would reprint both if them in a nano second.

The problem is GW needs to give them the license, and as the line between 'tabletop games' and 'board games' is murky, it's hard to deal with GW licensing in this space (compared to a digital property where GW is much more reasonable).

Similarly FFG would doubtlessly reprint BSG if the rights holder would let them - at this point its obviously free money and the fact they printed the Cthulhu themed BSG-a-like indicates that they are clearly trying to fill the space they just don't have the license.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's also Ankh Morpork by Martin Wallace (plus some other games by him with the Discworld license). I think the story there is Wallace met Pratchet at a convention and the author was charmed by the idea of modern boardgames and gave the license at very friendly rates, while the estate are much more businesslike. A few years ago Wallace kickstarted Nanty Narking, which is Ankh Morpork with everything replaced with public domain victoriana.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I miss all the Arkham Horror art card sleeves. They looked awesome and are decently tough, I have at least a few EDH decks sleeved with Arkham Horror art and a Sauron deck using an Eye of Sauron designed by FFG.

I still need to find a consistent playgroup to play the latest/last iteration of Arkham Horror making the map board modular. Still love playing Eldritch Horror and Fury of Dracula.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 11, 2024

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone played Skulk Hollow or Maul Peak ? I'm particularly interested in hearing about balance, finding out how fun it is to play as the foxes / bears, and hearing how well the two combine for a 4 player experience.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Played a bunch of games recently! Some new, some old.

Nucleum: First time I played this game. I liked the double function of your action tiles. You can either play them normally up to your action limit or place them on the board, losing the tile for future turns, but gaining other benefits. There's only a few actions to take, but I had a lot of fun trying to plan out successive actions. Am I going to place a tile now and grab a new action tile that will support my future turns? Or will I instead play an action to grab an attractive contract. I'd love to play the game again now that I got a feel for it!

Bitoku + Resutoran expansion: Technically the second time I played this game, but the first time we were 2 turns in before we had to quit due to circumstances. We played with all modules of the expansion. I felt helpless the first few turns as I had no idea what to focus on at the start. Things started to click after a few rounds and I was able to form somewhat of a strategy. I completely forgot to expand my Bitoku path and kinda screwed myself there. The festival and food cards can be really nice, but it felt like I kept drawing pretty meh ones. I somehow ended 2nd place, so I'll take that!

Burn Cycle: Lovely components, but man is the game a drag to play. It feels like it goes on for like 50% longer than it needs to. Bit of a let down since I like the concept and idea of the game, but the first scenario taking multiple hours certainly didn't make me want to play further.

5-minute Dungeon: Chaotic and a decent way to cool down after playing brainier games. Lots of yelling and people moving cards around the table, fun once you've had some beers. I prefer other lighter smaller games though.

The White Castle: This game is quickly growing to be one of my favourites. I like how in 3-4 player games there's still a way for you to use certain actions even if someone else covered the space. Feels really good when your preparation and strategy pay off and you can take a bunch of powerful actions in a row. Other than that, I'm really impressed with the price, box size and how fast it plays.

REM Racers: It's sci-fi Mario Kart as a board game! A decent beer & pretzels game with all the usual chaos that you can expect from a Mario Kart game. One of my favourite aspects is when you select a movement template, you are committed to it and you must make that move. So hope you're good at eyeballing it! There was one moment where we all got stuck in a hairpin turn where people kept blowing each other up until someone finally managed to escape it and move on.

Ark Nova: Played it twice, won twice. Feels more like a tactics game than one where you can have a long term strategy due to the nature of the deck and card draws. Focusing on early conservation points paid off both times, as I could nab some nice early bonuses and upgrades. My opponents were focusing on the big conservation points, but I feel that stymied them. They were too busy working on the long game that I surprised them by ending the game earlier than they had anticipated. Felt good! Curious what the expansion brings.

Between Two Castles: I think this might be my most played game recently. Super quick to touch and tends to have very little downtime since everybody takes their turn at the same time. The beauty lies in the fact your worst scoring castle is the one that counts for your score. You gotta balance both castles well. I've played this with a variety of groups at different player counts and it's been a hit with all those groups.

Guilty Gear Strive: The Board Game: Kickstarter fulfillment finally arrived! Never played any of the Exceed games before, but I heard good things about the system. Played the game with a friend who had never played fighting games before or know anything about Guilty Gear. Game took like 15 minutes to learn thanks to the wonderful tutorials on youtube. We had a lot of fun with this! It was fun seeing how character mechanics to translated to the game. Loved the mind games with the attacks. I feel the game will be even more rewarding once I got a good grasp of all the cards. We played way more matches than I thought since it's so easy to set up and get going.
If I'm not mistaken, you can mix the game with the other Exceed games as well? I might get them if I run out of matchups, which I really doubt.

Undaunted Battle of Britain: Second campaign playthrough we're doing. Last time I played the RAF and my opponent the Germans. I had won the previous campaign so we're looking forward to see whether we'll get a different result. Curious enough, the 5 scenarios we played had the exact same wins and losses as our first playthrough. I wonder if scenarios are biased for certain factions. If that's the case and history repeats itself, I'll be losing a lot of scenarios soon. :lmao:

Summoner Wars Second Edition: Ah good old Summoner Wars. Still fun, still super tactical. One I always enjoy playing because it's so quick to set up and easy to teach. I might mess around with the deckbuilding at some point, but I feel the pre-constructed decks work really well on a thematic level. I might pick up some expansions for this if I get it on the table some more.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Played a bunch of games recently! Some new, some old.

Ark Nova: Played it twice, won twice. Feels more like a tactics game than one where you can have a long term strategy due to the nature of the deck and card draws. Focusing on early conservation points paid off both times, as I could nab some nice early bonuses and upgrades. My opponents were focusing on the big conservation points, but I feel that stymied them. They were too busy working on the long game that I surprised them by ending the game earlier than they had anticipated. Felt good! Curious what the expansion brings.

The more I play this the more I enjoy that the endgame is about brutally finishing the game when your opponents aren't ready for it. TFM did this *sometimes* but not often enough.

quote:

Between Two Castles: I think this might be my most played game recently. Super quick to touch and tends to have very little downtime since everybody takes their turn at the same time. The beauty lies in the fact your worst scoring castle is the one that counts for your score. You gotta balance both castles well. I've played this with a variety of groups at different player counts and it's been a hit with all those groups.

I love this one and the scoring app where you just take a photo of the board solved the biggest problem it has - the incredibly loving tiny text.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Board games had some radical changes in the last ten years. For one, Covid caused a 2-4 year gap. This thread kind of died in that time and hasn’t recovered in terms of posts.

What would folks say are the new games that came out since 2020 that are must haves? Are there old games that seem like they’ve been outdone at this point? Ive got a decent collection of older games that were SA favs like space alert and Tigris & Euphrates. Or games like resistance Avalon. Are those still the hot fun ones or have they been replaced? I know good
Games never go out of style but are these still
Recommended or have other games taken over?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Voidfall and Mind MGMT

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Beyond the Sun is worth checking out.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
For me, Dune Imperium + Ix expansion and GWT: New Zealand have been work horses as far as number of plays go, but they aren’t that unique in their design. For the more unique games, but with more specific taste requirements, there’s Stationfall, Beyond the Sun and Barrage (I know, 2019, but I like it). And for the Dominion expansion that best enables big money plays over endless draw combos, because I get that combos are fun to play but they are slightly less fun to watch, Dominion: Plunder.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i played scout for the first time the other night and that game's fun once we figured out how it wants to be played, which took us like 3 rounds, but

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Autodrop Monteur posted:

How do you think it compares to Between two Cities? My recollection of this thread is that it tends to be very down on Stonemaier but I really liked B2C, but my current play group seems to hate it for some reasons (although by this point I think its a meme because I don't really think they've played it in 5ever) They do love base Castles though, although I remember when this first came out I was a little miffed by the fact that all of the tiles were square, because to me a big part of Castles appeal is the weird shaped rooms and how they tiled together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sokani posted:

Beyond the Sun is worth checking out.

Agreed. Seems to be one of the best in recent years according to the widest swath of folks.

1889 got a really nice official release if you're into trains at all

Res Arcana was 2019, but gained a lot more steam over time with the expansions and is great

Scout is one of the best small box card games around now

A lot of people like Dune Imperium in one of its many configs

Imperium Classic/Legends is a cool deeply asymmetrical deck builder

Heat: Pedal to the Metal is a Flamme Rouge-ish game that got a lot of buzz last year

The White Castle is a very economically sized and priced euro that people are digging

Hansa Teutonica got a big box release that stomps everything else mentioned here

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Res Arcana definitely is one of those "you don't absolutely need an expansion but it makes it much better" games. Conversely, Beyond the Sun has maybe the most overpriced and underwhelming expansion I've seen for ages; the leader cards really fell flat for me, in which case the only useful thing that comes in the box are new techs and planets (which are a definite improvement to the game but hardly worth the cost). I've not played the solo mode but I've also heard that it's not great. Fortunately, the base game is pretty good, though also somewhat overpriced, presumably due to all of the double-layered player boards and little custom dice.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

PRADA SLUT posted:

Voidfall and Mind MGMT

Is void fall honestly that good?

The lack of player interaction, the deterministic combat, the hour long setup and the lack of any exploration apart from a couple of tokens really put me off, but I haven't played it.

It looks like it could be amazing, but the more I read the less I want to try?

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

xiw posted:

I love this one and the scoring app where you just take a photo of the board solved the biggest problem it has - the incredibly loving tiny text.

Oh there's a scoring app? Cheers, that's gonna save some time!

ChewyLSB posted:

How do you think it compares to Between two Cities? My recollection of this thread is that it tends to be very down on Stonemaier but I really liked B2C, but my current play group seems to hate it for some reasons (although by this point I think its a meme because I don't really think they've played it in 5ever) They do love base Castles though, although I remember when this first came out I was a little miffed by the fact that all of the tiles were square, because to me a big part of Castles appeal is the weird shaped rooms and how they tiled together.

I got Between Two Castles because I liked the original Castles. I didn't care much for the square rooms at first either for the same reasons, but you're not restricted to a square grid like Cities. You still get very weirdly shaped castles and the rooms have unique illustrations and names, so you still get to chuckle at your nonsensical castle when the game's finished.

Also nthing Beyond the Sun. It's really solid! I'll gladly play it when someone brings it.

Oh, I almost forgot two more games I played!

Inventions: Evolution of Ideas: I kept getting the name of this game wrong. There's so much to track in this game. We were all mentally exhausted after finishing it. You have to pay good attention and plan ahead, as you get chain tokens that allow you to take an extra action IF your current action allows it. On top of that, you gotta pay attention where you're putting your action pillars, as you can't place pillars in the same spot or row as another one of your pillars. The core gameplay of Presenting, inventing, innovating and sharing an idea is pretty cool. It can be worth to share an idea even if you're not getting points from it, as you get valuable scoring tiles to build your tableau with. Now that I know the rules, I want to play it again, since I know what to pay attention to.

Wyrmspan: It's been a while since I played Wingspan and I've been meaning to try Wyrmspan for a while now. It fixes some issues I have with the original; you don't lose actions as rounds progress and you can only walk down a row thrice a turn instead of having a crow or two on the egg row and spam that action. I was a bit too focused on the end of round goals and left my engine in shambles, so I got a nice and solid last place. :lmao: I'm okay with playing this one again, but I don't see myself getting this game, in the end it's still very much like Wingspan.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Besides those that have been mentioned, 2020-present releases I've enjoyed include Lost Ruins of Arnak and The Crew: Mission to Deep Sea. Also seconding GWT: New Zealand and Heat: Pedal to the Metal. GWT: New Zealand is the new hotness among my playgroup, along with Brass: Birmingham which was 2018 but we were late to the party. Also if expansions count then Spirit Island: Nature Incarnate is very good.

fr0id posted:

Are there old games that seem like they’ve been outdone at this point? Ive got a decent collection of older games that were SA favs like space alert and Tigris & Euphrates. Or games like resistance Avalon. Are those still the hot fun ones or have they been replaced? I know good

Good games are still good games. Occasionally some old well-regarded game shows its age with mechanisms that have gone badly out of style, but for the most part I think great board games are timeless. Space Alert and T&E will never go out of style, imo. I often want to go back to classics like Agricola and Caylus but it can be a hard sell to a playgroup that's always chasing the new hotness.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 14, 2024

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I still don't think that the re-implementation of T&E (Y&Y) even really ever surpassed the original IMO. I see T&E still being played a lot, but Y&Y was kind of forgotten.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

@ReinerKnizia
To clarify some misleading communication from GRAIL GAMES: My games leave Grail Games because I terminated licenses for breach of contract

This whole fiasco led to it not being around for long enough to gain traction, but a T&E sequel was always going to be pretty niche anyways. Y&Y is good though, a bit more dynamic and swingy but not in a bad way. If T&E didn't exist, Y&Y would be deserving of high esteem but as is it's more a fun variant than anything. Kinda like the Caverna to Agricola but more favorable IMO.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I like Caverna though. It's the perfect Sunday game for when I want to play Agricola but I can't be bothered to actually be competitive or worry about my entire family starving all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fr0id posted:

What would folks say are the new games that came out since 2020 that are must haves?

MLEM Space Agency and After Us get ridiculous table time at my group. Both really solid lightweight games with enough strategy to keep them interesting. I rarely bring them without one of them seeing play.

The real "killer app" of the last year has been 4 Pints, though. It's a simple push your luck game themed around rummaging in your pockets for change so you can buy beer at the bar. Along the way you'll accidentally spill your pint, "accidentally" spill other people's pints, and get increasingly plastered and drop your money - usually just in time to miss Happy Hour. It's addictive, it comes in a box that makes Oinks look like Kallax-busters and it costs FIVE loving EUROS. If someone offers you a copy, bite their arm off.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
As well as the Hansa Teutonica big box, the recent re-release of El Grande is also worth noting in the "excellent new old games" category

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm glad that I have the Mayfair edition of T&E though, big wooden blocks are much better than crappy plastic pieces.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fr0id posted:

Board games had some radical changes in the last ten years. For one, Covid caused a 2-4 year gap. This thread kind of died in that time and hasn’t recovered in terms of posts.

What would folks say are the new games that came out since 2020 that are must haves? Are there old games that seem like they’ve been outdone at this point? Ive got a decent collection of older games that were SA favs like space alert and Tigris & Euphrates. Or games like resistance Avalon. Are those still the hot fun ones or have they been replaced? I know good

Beyond all that's been mentioned so far, the high points I can think of are:

Ark Nova (depends on the goon, some love it, some less so)
Dune Imperium (not exactly thread approved but extremely popular)

Also, Obsession is from 2018 but I think it picked up steam much much later so I'm counting it.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Sidereal Confluence got a remaster and an expansion, and Zoo Vadis is starting to actually appear in stock now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

million dollar mack posted:

Sidereal Confluence got a remaster and an expansion, and Zoo Vadis is starting to actually appear in stock now.

Zoo Vadis isn't a recent game though, it's a reskin of Quo Vadis.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Played my second game of Brass: Birmingham last night. 3 of us had played once before and the 4th player was brand new.

I started fairly well, getting two loans and offsetting them almost instantly, but then had everyone else decide they wanted to build what I was building.
I settled on pottery and beer after everyone played follow the leader, but consequently flubbed my rail era transition (my only t2+ was in Coventry). This resulted in getting immediately blocked in by a double rail and unable to build anywhere useful.
I drew exactly 0 Birmingham cards all game, the cotton player decided to ditch it and go pottery to compete with me in Rail, beer was a shitshow with either too much or not enough at any point, and the 4th player bumbled around and connected Birmingham to the market, allowing the eventual winner to immediately drop a 5 Iron mine directly into a nearly empty market.

Still, i came in second and would have been extremely close to winning had I not gotten griefed by a player dropping pottery on the only empty spot as im about to throw down the T5.

The impact other players have on you is nuts in this, so I’m looking forward to playing it more. I feel like HT is a faster play for similar integration but this is economically far more crunchy.

At this rate, we might be ready for 1889 soon :v:

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

Zoo Vadis isn't a recent game though, it's a reskin of Quo Vadis.

True - I hadn’t placed the poster in the same ancient category as us

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I picked up Great Western Trail: New Zealand recently and have played it twice. I've played 1st ed with rails to the north a fair bit and I've enjoyed the way that NZ shakes it up. Still feeling out the differences but it seems like shearing is very strong. In my 2nd game I went heavy on shearers and did enough sailing to unlock the wool ports. The way the buildings worked out I was able to place my 2x generic, 1 move building right before a neutral one with a double generic on it right after the shearing building. This let me shear my full hand, then next turn get 4 extra cards to refill before going to wellington. Wont get that every game but it really was nice.

The market feels very different from 1st ed. I like that theres a bit more of a choice at the various levels of sheep purchasing. Having the lowest end sheep on the market only cost 3 bucks at the start makes an early purchase more viable. I still think I like opening with a building best but I may reconsider that my next game.

Overall Im enjoying it a lot but I have a couple dislikes. The thing is an enormous table hog. Big board, tons of cards to lay out. The deck building cards should be more distinct on the faces so its easier to separate them out at the end. I know theres a little difference in the corners but its way too easy for a deckbuilding objective to get put in with the regular objectives during cleanup. Its tough to start a new player on this one since theres even more going on.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

!Klams posted:

Is void fall honestly that good?

The lack of player interaction, the deterministic combat, the hour long setup and the lack of any exploration apart from a couple of tokens really put me off, but I haven't played it.

It looks like it could be amazing, but the more I read the less I want to try?

ya it’s good. Combat is deterministic because it’s not a war game, more like an expansion action. People see tiny spaceships and think it’s going to be some eve-online-rear end tactical plastic-pushing but you only end up having enough actions to do A Given Thing like 3-6 times in the entire game. So you can go on a space rampage but you’ll hit a point where you don’t have aggressive actions left and need to just stack cubes instead. I played games where there’s never been any direct conflict, it’s just everybody carving territory and then posturing at the borders the rest of the game while everybody plays Agricola behind the wall.

Also, takes me like 10 minutes to set up but I know what I’m doing. Maybe takes longer at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
maybe better to say

Voidfall is very mindclashy