Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is it just me or are windups way less obvious? Maybe something with my settings I get hit so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Piggybacking off this post to ask, is there any rhyme or reason to how many rooms act 4 lets you do? Or is it just completely random?

There's always 5 mandatory rooms that present no major reward. Most of the time you can tangent off to do optional rooms for the listed reward, but they will not progress you towards the boss.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Magitek posted:

There's always 5 mandatory rooms that present no major reward. Most of the time you can tangent off to do optional rooms for the listed reward, but they will not progress you towards the boss.

... Yes, I know that. What I was asking is if there's anything that determines how many non-direct path rooms you get. I've had runs where it only allowed me to take one, and runs where I easily did 6 or so.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Infinity Gaia posted:

... Yes, I know that. What I was asking is if there's anything that determines how many non-direct path rooms you get. I've had runs where it only allowed me to take one, and runs where I easily did 6 or so.

I think it’s just random. Hades 1 had a lot of weighted randomization with regard to room reward layouts and boon slot prioritization, but that seems to mostly be gone. I’ve had multiple runs where I didn’t get a boon for the Attack, Cast or Special slots until Area 3, so being purely at the mercy of the dice here wouldn’t surprise me at all

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

+95% sprint speed is pretty fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8EtZoC9zs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Right now that I've done several successful (and many unsuccessful) runs, I've decided on my balance hot take: the problem is not that the last area is too difficult, it's that the prior areas are too easy. Or rather, they don't ramp up enough in subsequent difficulty over one another. The original Hades had a pretty easy to follow flow biome to biome: Tartarus is for starting your build, Asphodel is for fleshing out your build, Elysium is for finishing your build, and Theseus/Styx/Dad is for testing your build. Each ramps up noticeably in difficulty and enemy sponginess such that you can generally get a feel within each area if you're ahead, behind, or on track in terms of what the game is expecting from you. Obviously there are exceptions where you're going for something specific or you pick up something that salvages your build super late, but you get my point.

In Hades 2 meanwhile, once you get the boss patterns down it's essentially trivial to blow through biomes 1, 2, and 3 without having anything approaching a coherent build. Biome 4 though will absolutely push your poo poo in unless you've got something cooking, not just Chronus but the chambers as well. It can lead to a scenario where you feel like you're cruising and then suddenly bam: you're just loving not ready for the last area. I'd kinda been feeling this for a while but it really hit me in my most recent run, where I got almost none of the boons I wanted and had picked nothing for attack or special, but still managed to get all the way to biome 4 with a couple DD's remaining, whereupon I got utterly crushed by the sudden difficulty spike.

None of this applies to the surface route which has a lot less content right now and I actually feel like for what is there does a much better job of ramping up harder earlier on.

tl;dr - The enemies in biomes 2 and 3 should be beefier, and the area 3 boss in particular should be significantly harder. This isn't a "git gud" post or anything, just my revelation as I'm wondering why I'm getting annoyed at constantly breezing to the last area with no trouble and then usually getting immediately owned.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Biome 3 is definitely the most experimental of the areas and requires some tuning. The enemies in tight areas would be absolute nightmares but the wide open nature gives you a lot of space to kite with. It's definitely a bit too easy now but if you have a build that wants to go in and melee that area will chew you up and spit you out. The armored heart throwers are super rough in high quantities. The boss is also the entire area in one package - super dangerous up close but trivial at range.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Bleck posted:

the torches SUCK but this game is so good

People keep saying this but I unlocked them last night and they seemed pretty great? I got a Demeter boon on the special and a hammer upgrade to make the orbs slowly get bigger and stronger and that was super powerful. I also put Hestia burn on the attack with let me really pump damage with a continuous channel.

First time using them I made it all the way to biome 4 for only the second time but I still had strife blessing so died just before the boss.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I successfully brought Death to Chronos tonight after getting an insane series of axe upgrades that made my basic strike do about 1245 damage at a cost of 20 MP. Thankfully the Hephaestus boon that gives you a shitload of MP every time you take damage meant that in the final fight the extra cost wasn't really an issue (although things started to drag in earlier parts of the game where I was successfully avoiding damage and thus sometimes couldn't afford my basic attack).

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

tl;dr - The enemies in biomes 2 and 3 should be beefier, and the area 3 boss in particular should be significantly harder. This isn't a "git gud" post or anything, just my revelation as I'm wondering why I'm getting annoyed at constantly breezing to the last area with no trouble and then usually getting immediately owned.

I don't know if making the enemies in biome 3 beefer would really make them harder, considering that a major part of why it's so easy is that the open area allows the player to engage entirely on their terms. There need to be enemies that can teleport or shield/heal others or something along those lines to prevent the player from being able to just do whatever they want from safety.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The twin blades suck poo poo right? Or is it a skill issue. The special seems sick charged but half the enemies in the first level absolutely punish you for standing still behind them for a split second. I'm still getting used to the new dash mechanic tbh, only beat Hecate on like attempt 10 despite having beat her in the technical test quite easily

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Definitely a skill issue, they're sick

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The twin blades rule, the uncharged special is great for stuff like Demeter or Hephestus that just needs one proc, or you can build for the charged version with hammer boons and stacking procs. If you want melee you can go full Nothing Personnel and zip in for burst.

They do require a little more familiarity with enemy moves to avoid eating poo poo though

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Is the hex that turns you into a phantom for 5sec known to be bugged. I picked it up last night and tried it out fine, but then I quit my run and when I picked it up today it didn't work anymore. I could activate it to transform and was invulnerable for the duration but I couldnt use any attacks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The twin blades rule, the uncharged special is great for stuff like Demeter or Hephestus that just needs one proc, or you can build for the charged version with hammer boons and stacking procs. If you want melee you can go full Nothing Personnel and zip in for burst.

They do require a little more familiarity with enemy moves to avoid eating poo poo though

Yeah I'll admit it reminds me of the bow aspect in Hades that makes the special home in on one target which I almost exclusively used to proc chill and carried me to my highest heat win but it's just not as busted as I remember that bow aspect being. The hammer to make all the special shots follow one straight path is insane tho. I'll keep working on it until I unlock the next weapon

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just went from barely eking out my first win with 3 hp and no DDs left to killing Chronos without losing any DDs at all, although I did burn through a lot of stored up Moon Water. Torches own, gently caress da haters

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 10, 2024

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Wafflecopper posted:

Torches own, gently caress da haters

Torches can be very effective. The thing people have accurately mentioned is that they’re all about the Special and that the Attack is a massive trap the vast majority of the time. The fact that Attack didn’t even rank in the top 5 sources of damage (representing at least 2% of your total damage) is pretty indicative of that

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
For the Persephone Aspect of Skull, is there a way to tell how much glory you have? I feel like I’m missing something but I can’t seem to find any way to know when you can use your enhanced omega special.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
The real problem with the torches is that a whole bunch of boons you would think would synergise with the attack actually don't. Like the Apollo magic boon that regens magic when you stand in your cast doesn't work if you're using the torch attack, rendering it useless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I got to play for about an hour this morning. Even though it's in Early Access, it feels like a much smoother curve than Hades 1 so far. Pretty good although I never tend to stick with these games for that long.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is it just me or are windups way less obvious? Maybe something with my settings I get hit so much

Not just you, I could swear I got killed by an attack from the final boss that hit me before an animation or effect fired.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

jimmydalad posted:

For the Persephone Aspect of Skull, is there a way to tell how much glory you have? I feel like I’m missing something but I can’t seem to find any way to know when you can use your enhanced omega special.

I asked about this on the last page - it looks like there's supposed to be a meter or something but it doesn't seem to work afaict

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I asked about this on the last page - it looks like there's supposed to be a meter or something but it doesn't seem to work afaict

Something about it is almost certainly bugged. That little icon to the right of your ammo count is the bar, and it fills in a circular fashion from left to right, light blue. Occasionally my attacks will produce enough to actually allow the Omega Special to channel and allow flight for an extra second or two, but it’s extremely inconsistent.

If I had to speculate, I’d guess that 1) only certain types of damage are contributing to the bar, and/or 2) there’s some minimum damage threshold necessary to actually start filling. I think I have the best results when I’m AOEing handfuls of enemies at once, but it’s hard to monitor during actual play.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Anti-Tachyon posted:

The real problem with the torches is that a whole bunch of boons you would think would synergise with the attack actually don't. Like the Apollo magic boon that regens magic when you stand in your cast doesn't work if you're using the torch attack, rendering it useless.

It pairs great with the Hephaestus special that gives you a chance of +400 hits and the Daedalus hammer bonus that gives you extra flames on that special. Just get in the center of a big cluster of enemies and let it rip

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The ez mode aspect so far is I think the twin knifes with homing. Kind of like chiron with more steps. Force zeus+hestia to get a long range cast (preferably, with demeter buff though any privilege status applier should be fine) and then you're good. Three relevant hammers to buff it too. Also blitz is very good with twin knife homing special (and is your second status applicator) so zeus is probably a better first pick than hestia.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sydin posted:

They rule actually

I had my closest run so far running torches with the Hephaestus attack and Vent boons, then both of those got tagged by Demeter's rarity boosting boon, then I got the hammer that trades my omega attack for a single +1500% damage shot, then I got the Demeter cast to keep me safe. I actually had to avoid leveling my attack boon or else I'd start resetting the timer on Vent.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut then Eris' curse ramped up to +50% damage by the time I hit biome 4 and I just couldn't keep up with the extra damage I was taking.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Owl at Home posted:

It pairs great with the Hephaestus special that gives you a chance of +400 hits and the Daedalus hammer bonus that gives you extra flames on that special. Just get in the center of a big cluster of enemies and let it rip

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about the attack being underwhelming, not the special. The attack uses up too much magic and takes too long to charge, and none of the magic regen boons synergise with it.

The attack is all about sustained fire, but you can't easily sustain it, which makes it very hard to use unless you get a very specific set of boons and hammers to 'fix' it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Goddamn This game is good. Balance seems way off though area 3 boss is way way way too tanky

I’ve been using whatever weapon gives me bones so I’m bouncing between most of them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anti-Tachyon posted:

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about the attack being underwhelming, not the special. The attack uses up too much magic and takes too long to charge, and none of the magic regen boons synergise with it.

The attack is all about sustained fire, but you can't easily sustain it, which makes it very hard to use unless you get a very specific set of boons and hammers to 'fix' it.

You can keep holding the button while using a dodge and it will restart after. If anything my problem with the attack isn't that I can never trigger it, it's that doesn't quite deal enough damage to justify the mana cost. (Though the intent is probably to use it to build up Hexes quickly.)

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
That's a good point. The scythe/knife attack is basically the same thing, but it's faster and more powerful.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, once i realized that dodging wouldnt reset the attack, torches made a lot more sense to me. Very fun to dodge around and get the big damage attacks going out

didnt really get the point of the special but i’ll chalk that up to still learning the weapon

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

it's that doesn't quite deal enough damage to justify the mana cost.

Okay maybe I'm not communicating well but that is literally what I'm talking about! You can't regen magic while attacking, so you run out of it too quickly and the basic attack is too weak, so why bother when you can spam specials?

Easy fix is to just let magic recharge while attacking, even as just a hack fix for the torches only.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Goddamn This game is good. Balance seems way off though area 3 boss is way way way too tanky

I think this boss needs less HP but shorter fuses on its area attacks or something akin to that to increase the difficulty of the fight but also make it less of a slog. If you get caught by the melee attacks it can make short work of you, but the area stuff you can practically ignore in its current state

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I didn't realize I could use that green juice resource to increase the max amount of arcana cards I can pick until today :negative: well hopefully my next few runs go a little better. Having the moon power passively build up is helpful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Okay maybe I'm not communicating well but that is literally what I'm talking about! You can't regen magic while attacking, so you run out of it too quickly and the basic attack is too weak, so why bother when you can spam specials?

Easy fix is to just let magic recharge while attacking, even as just a hack fix for the torches only.

I meant in reference to the "too long to charge" part.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Playing this in a discord server with 4 other people all playing it (and one person playing Hades 1 for the first time) and I casually remarked "wow Mel and nemesis have a thing going on huh" and I got forcefully "DUH"d so hard I had to take my headphones off

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I think this boss needs less HP but shorter fuses on its area attacks or something akin to that to increase the difficulty of the fight but also make it less of a slog. If you get caught by the melee attacks it can make short work of you, but the area stuff you can practically ignore in its current state

Like 90% of the damage I take from him is from his basic attacks. They have a huge hitbox, and after the main hit there's like a secondary shockwave immediately after, so whenever I try to dodge one I inevitably get hit by the other.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Like 90% of the damage I take from him is from his basic attacks. They have a huge hitbox, and after the main hit there's like a secondary shockwave immediately after, so whenever I try to dodge one I inevitably get hit by the other.
The trick to the boss is he sucks at turning around. Stick to his back and you'll generally be ok even at melee range. He also basically cant do anything if you're at range so you can just beat him that way. The design of the boss really makes you want to get in his face and reaction dodge his shockwaves like he was an H1 boss but it doesnt really work in this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the boss I find the most annoying is the Cyclops. Not sure why, his attack pattern just bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He has a very strange interaction with demeter cyclone.